Latest Perfume Reviews

Pleats Please by Issey Miyake

This features a fruit candy note that feels to me like faux apple with a pinch of strawberry, apparently intended to simulate pear. It sits on top of a very effusive, sneezy white musk that smells like exaggerated soap with an undertone of fabric softener. The fruit becomes more abstract as the day goes on, ending up as more of a sweetness than a specific smell.

I sampled this because it listed indole as a note, so I hoped it may be at least a little bit challenging or avant garde, but it's not. This is a crowd-pleasing, intentionally unremarkable fruity floral for people who want to smell like soap and candy. As such, this is the kind of designer perfume where I have no technical complaints, but my desire for artistry and creativity is unfulfilled.

The Cape by Abbott

Soapy, fruity-sweet, clean-aquatic, unisex scent in the opening. A little bit of ginger wakes it up and keeps it from being a boring Bath & Body hand sanitizer scent. Doesn't smell bad, just heavily synthetic up close. Best I can describe is that it's similar to Lacoste White or other fresh/sweet blue Zara frags.

The drydown is woodier, more masculine and has a tea-like scent. Generic but very nice.

I get average performance. Not loud or super long-lasting but it's decent and can be cloying if over-sprayed.

Angélique by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Good because it’s not bad is not a resounding endorsement. How I wish I had received the Anubis I requested instead of Angelique and Bengal Spice as supposed substitutes. The most I can say about Angelique is its floral green is fresh, is balanced, though great for a soap or shampoo like Aveda products. Angelique wears like a simplified Ormonde Jayne, and in my opinion Geza Schoen’s use of champaca leaves this one wanting by comparison.

L'Homme Menthe by Roger & Gallet

A chemical stew of a fragrance...doesn't smell like the three notes listed to me. Two thumbs down.

Lucifer by Renaissance Fragrances

Lucifer EDT 100ml Spray -

Renaissance Fragrances was a company based out of the UK in London and completely unknown to me until recently. The only fragrance I can find by them is this EDT - "Lucifer", which is now long discontinued, and a blind buy for me ($35 for 100ml).

At first sniff, this is a clone in the vein of Polo Green. But thankfully, a vintage Cosmair / Warner Polo Green clone!

The opening is a bit dustier than Polo with a huge whack upside the head of oakmoss. I don't know the year this was produced, but it has to be pre-2001.

Within minutes, the patchouli and tobacco merge into an accord similar to the dry down of Montana Parfum d'Homme with an added coniferous overtone. Wow!

Ultimately, even though I'm reviewing this one as a clone, it still has a personality of its own. I agree with drseid's review completely - why wasn't this on anybody's radar!? It may have been a UK only release and once the company went belly up that was the end of Lucifer.

3.5 stars
FISS80 Show all reviews

Le Lion de Chanel by Chanel

This one starts very promising. On my skin I get a nice suede/leather blast which is weird because leather is not listed in the notes. There is also a nice bright citrus that fades as quickly as it presented itself. What I'm left with for the remaining 8-10 hours of the fragrance is sweet amber and patchouli.The amber accord is very well done here. The patchouli in this is the dry earthy kind and gives off a metallic overtone that is not to my liking. Many have compared this to one of my absolute favorites, Coromandel, but I see no resemblance. A well done fragrance from Chanel but unfortunately not for me.

Upon wearing both Coromandel and Le Lion alternately I can say there is a resemblance in the drydown. Although the Le Lion is less sweet and more ambery, powdery.
19th February, 2021 (last edited: 26th February, 2021)

Cool Water by Davidoff

Fresh and blue, absolutely perfect and beautiful.
I am incredibly biased when it comes to Cool Water. I love this unabashedly and will defend it's greatness whole heartedly. I wore Cool Water circa 1990- it was really my third fragrance I ever wore after Brut/Brut 33, Polo, and Drakkar Noir. I'm 50 now and due to too many factors to explain I wasn't into fragrances from the mid 1990s until last year. I don't know what kind of 'game' I have now, but there was that time in my early 20s that I seemed to have a little and Cool Water never let me down. Current formula may smell more like a 'knock off' of the original but it's insanely affordable. When I bought this the first time the guy at the fragrance counter kept referring to this as "LPR(liquid panty remover)" and as pathetic and cheesy as it sounds now, 21 year old me sure believed it to be true. I never was victim to the overuse of this and although I think I tired of it in the late 1990s, fast forward 20 years and this is still a revelation. As one of the most important fragrances of all time it must be experienced. Blind buy worthy for that alone. Thumbs UP.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino was a fragrance that proved it's worth giving a few wears and some time to fully appreciate a scent before dismissing an initial turn-off. When I first applied, it made me think of a raisin bran type cereal left out until it soaks up all the milk, leaving a sickly-sweet smell that I couldn't fathom actually wanting to smell like. I thought Zino would be the first fragrance I simply wanted to give away. Luckily now, I appreciate the scent as a 'spiced wine'/dry vanillic rose with complexity and I find when I'm in the mood Zino is a unique, classy and amazingly enjoyable scent. Those collecting classics will appreciate Zino and it's uniqueness. Currently inexpensive to the point that a decant is a bad value vs just buying a bottle. If discontinuation ever changes price/availability this would definitely be a try before buy fragrance. Still, this is a unique, interesting, fun, classic fragrance. Thumbs up.

Replica Bubble Bath by Martin Margiela

Clean, white musk florals. A little milky but mostly laundry detergent, floral clean. Gets a little sweeter into the drydown, not as harsh with the soapiness. I actually really like the drydown as it has a nice musky, clean, woodiness that’s easily more unisex and natural than the opening. The opening is a little too harsh with trying to get the soap accord. But stick around for the drydown. It’s quite nice.

Low projection but the longevity is pretty good, hangs around for most of the day on clothes.

Lemon Island by Atelier Cologne

Citrusy, fruity lemon and beachy tiare flower. Becomes even more beachy, suntan-lotion-like as it dries down, losing the lemon. Very pleasant and natural smelling.

Too much tiare flower smell for me, I feel this leans feminine. A good casual summer fragrance.

Not a big projection bomb but it has enough to get noticed when others get within close range. Decent longevity too.
rbaker Show all reviews

Qatar by Roja Dove

Dark florals and - mainly - spices: that is the nutshell summary of the initial reaction I get in the opening minutes.

A dark violet underpins the first phase, carrying an euqually dark and slightly velvety May rose, together with a minimally powdery jasmine. Brief fruity hints (pear peach, whiffs of apricot) soon give way to an oud accord that is here to stay until nearly the end. This oud alignes, not unexpectedly, with the rose, but this creation is more that another rose-oud product. I did not get any separate top note of citrus or anything else.

Then the spices arrive in full force. A dark and faintly smoky patchouli joins the rose and the oud, but it lacks any crassness, sharpness or harshness. An impression of orris roots makes an nice addition here, and a styrax-banzoid duo enhances the spicy side; a very synthetic ambergris is lurking in the background hardly detectable on me; the same applies to a birch noes that escapes my even with my best efforts. There is a dark saffron that entails an unexpected sweet component, which is enhanced by restrained vanilla. The latter is joined by a candy floss note that is very nice, well-integrated into the whole, and does not express any sickly sweet character - this is not a Victoria's-Secret-style candy.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection, and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

A nice spice-centred autumnal creation with a floral introduction. It is a bit sweeter that similar creations form this house, but with a sweet ens that is rather sophisticated on me, as is the whole, if one ignores that many notes do not find their full potential due to a certain overload towards the end. Still, quite nuanced overall with good texture. 3.5/5

Fanghorn by Pineward Perfumes

Fanghorn is a revelation for coniferous fragrance lovers. It's my new reference point by which I judge all of my other conifer fragrances and I own quite a few. I've been on the hunt for the best coniferous fragrance available since the end of 2014. I wore Polo beginning in 1983 and the original Polo had an amazing pine note that brought me such happiness that when it was ultimately reformulated, the joy of that pine note was taken away. Life being what it is, I didn't focus on that loss for many years, but eventually I realized how much I wanted the find the perfect coniferous fragrance and so I've been searching for the last six years and discovering many wonderful fragrances along the way. I can now say that finding Fanghorn has become the culmination of that search. Nick Nilsson has captured the most wonderful conifer experience I've had. Fanghorn is marvelous beyond words. If you love conifer needle resin like I do, then you can't miss this beautiful fragrance. Bravo to Nick and his most excellent Fanghorn as well as all of his wonderful Pineward Perfumes!

18th February, 2021 (last edited: 06th March, 2021)

Le Beau Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Overall, I get "chilled" vanilla that smells really good in cold air. Very fresh and somewhat sweet but there is a weird sourness in the opening. Luckily it fades pretty fast. The dry down is very nice, clean, sweet and musky. It's still plenty sweet for me but some might find the musky sandalwood a little dated back to the 90's.

Projection is sneaky, comes and goes for 4-5 hours.

Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain

My favorite spring/summer scent. As one of my students said, “You smell like a fairy!” I can’t do a better description than that. This has got to be how fairies smell - Honeyed orange blossom with a bit of almond. My only negative is that my skin eats it up.

Someone above posted that it’s an Angel dupe, but I don’t get that at all. Angel is spiced chocolate/caramel and can go heavy (gotta watch your sprayage). I genuinely believe you can bathe in Mon Precieux Nectar and still not have it become cloying. Also, I get no spice. This is sweetness (but not too sweet on me) and light.

I can see that it might be too sweet for some. I think this might be one that some might need to sample if your skin pulls more sweet and you’re not a fan of that? I think it’s beautifully blended, but I’d hate for anyone to be sad. However, if you were, I’d swap it for almost anything else in my wardrobe!

Les Elixirs Charnels - Gourmand Coquin by Guerlain

My favorite fall/winter scent ever. It’s the best gourmand I’ve ever had - and that’s saying something. The holidays in a bottle. I get spices, something close to chocolate (but not really?); it’s kind of sweet, but not really. I think it’s more of a whiskey sweet than a sugar-sweet. Honestly, it’s the way the holidays feel to me; I don’t know how to explain it any better than that.

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is a qualified thumbs-up from me. I love this scent, which is good because once it’s on, it’s there to stay and announce to everyone, “Here I am!” I see lots of people posting that it’s not heavy and to that I say, “Hah!” And “hah!” again. One spray and it surrounds me like a cloud all day; a glorious orangey-ambery cloud, but a cloud nonetheless. Since I’m usually a 4-5 spray kinda girl, it took me a while to work out this is “half-spray will do you all day.” But once you work out your correct sprayage, it’s gorgeous.

Safanad by Parfums de Marly

I really like this. It’s a well-blended orange blossom and amber (which seems to be taking over my wardrobe, actually). It’s the only full-bottle-worthy one I’ve found (so far) from PdM, and I’ve tried a bunch of them. This one lasts quite a while on me, but doesn’t project too loudly. Definitely one to earn compliments for those who are allowed into your personal bubble.
rbaker Show all reviews

Chrome Pure by Azzaro

A pleasant and fresh opening, a pleasant mandarin with a whiff of mint and and ozonic tendency.

The drydown adds a generic woody note, with a whiff of a licorice-like undertone. Towards the end a somewhat nonspecific tonka is added, which is quote laid-back and not strong or intrusive; it adds a bit of a sweet side.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection, and six hours of longevity on my skin.

An agreeable summery scent, too generic to please, but quite nice on a warm day. 2.75/5

Murkwood by Pineward Perfumes

Murkwood brings images of heavy fir, spruce, moss and incense. It is yet another triumph from Pineward Perfumes! I do get a Norne vibe from Murkwood, but without the clove note that seems to appear in Norne during it's wear. Murkwood instead takes me to the forest with it's smells of conifer resins, wood, and one of my favorite parts of wearing Murkwood is that it also invokes the smell of pine nuts. Murkwood and Fanghorn are both nuclear in strength and you definitely don't need to over spray to enjoy it for many, many hours. This makes it a great value. Another coniferous gem from Pineward!

Steading by Pineward Perfumes

Steading is all about sweetness and warmth. It settles itself into a cloud of maple syrup, hay, tobacco, and honey in the base notes. The opening notes have a bit of freshness to them from hops and fir resin. This slight zing then takes on the sweeter, more enveloping qualities of a gourmand as Steading progresses. Pineward Perfumes for the most part have very powerful performance and Steading is no exception. You only need to apply a small amount to enjoy wearing it all day and into the evening. This is a fragrance to be worn at a cabin on a winter's adventure. It really comes alive in the cold winter air.

Apple Tabac by Pineward Perfumes

Apple Tabac lasts a long time on my skin and is very enjoyable. This indeed has a strong "Fresh Red Apple" note. As a kid I worked in the orchards with apples many summers and I can say that this apple note is indeed that of a fresh red apple as opposed to a Golden Delicious or a Granny Smith apple type note. This is counter balanced by a tobacco leaf like note. This tobacco leaf note smells of the dried tobacco leaf variety to me but perhaps thats because of the blending. It gives the apple note a bed of warmth to lay on along with a slight zing from some fir balasam and butteriness from the rum note. This is a beautiful fragrance and I have been enjoying it very much.
⁝

Christmas Wine by Pineward Perfumes

Christmas Wine by Pineward Perfumes takes a slightly different direction that Fille en Aiguilles or Sacre Noir, both coniferous fragrances with a holiday fruits and spices theme. Where Serge Lutens FEA and House of Matriarchs SN both go in a slightly sweet direction, Christmas Wine keeps things more true to the actual notes of the conifer resin, fruits, and spices. It smells fresh yet liquored and very festive. This perfume is another one that has nuclear strength and it is best to go light on the sprays if you don't want to project like a thousand watt candle. :-) You will smell good doing it though. Another brilliant conifer fragrance with a holiday theme that I'm so glad to have in my collection!

Boreal by Pineward Perfumes

Boreal is the conifer lovers Eau de Cologne. It is piney, fresh, and wonderful! The mint note is blended perfectly with the pine needle resin and is so refreshing. I plan to bring a small sprayer bottle of Boreal with me throughout the days that I wear it to keep refreshing myself as it wears down. That's not to say that it doesn't have good longevity and sillage because it does, just at an Eau de Cologne strength, which fits it's character perfectly. This lasts around 5 hours on my skin before I feel the need to re-apply. When Pineward released Boreal and I was able to get my hands on a sample initially and then a full bottle, I realized that Nick had captured what I had hoped for from Dasein Perfumes Winter Green but didn't get. Boreal is worth every penny and then some...a true conifer lovers delight.
⁝

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

Vintage YSL Jazz Prestige EDT -

YSL Jazz and Jazz Prestige remind me of another combo I have in my wardrobe - Ralph Lauren Polo Green and Polo Crest.

Just like Polo Green, the original Jazz leans more serious and mature, while being a very well blended composition especially in vintage form. A reliable pull year-round that simply just "smells good". No need to over think it and no wonder it is still in production since 1988.

Now for Jazz Prestige, which just like Polo Crest, was unable to find a foothold and has been long discontinued. Prestige presents itself with an instantly recognizable DNA to it's big brother, but with a composition that leans more laid back with a daring blend of notes floating all around like Mint, Apple, Ginger, and a slightly smoky-sweet Tobacco accord that must be a combo of Benzoin, Patchouli and Sandalwood.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm smelling with this one as the progression through the notes is definitely unique (minty tobacco?), but with a name like Prestige, it must be some form of high quality art. Performance for both fragrances are very close and will last for the better part of 6-8 hours.

Jazz Prestige is a worthy flanker to its stalwart big brother and would be a plus to any collection. Although, as a discontinued fragrance, Prestige has taken on a reverence normally reserved only for dead movie stars of yore so its bloated price tag on the gray market is a big minus.

Final verdict - I personally prefer the original Jazz over Prestige, especially vintage in the black and white bottle. It is unmistakably masculine and projects a very satisfying "aura" around you that, as I said at the top, just smells good.

3.5 stars
17th February, 2021 (last edited: 05th March, 2021)
FISS80 Show all reviews

Uomo by Salvatore Ferragamo

The opening is a bit fresh and you get a feel for the sweetness that is soon to come but it is well balanced at this stage. That is where the wearability of this one ends for me. It becomes a linear, nauseating sweet concoction with extremely tenacious silage and longevity. Very similar to fragrances such as Paco Rabanne Lucky, Polo Red Extreme, and Armani Code Profumo but not as good. Neutral rating due to price and longevity/projection.

cK Everyone by Calvin Klein

I don't really know what to say here. I didn't find this to be of good quality or smell in really any category. In the deep dry down it felt ultra thin, like an aftershave or cologne. But then, I usually get some sort of ultramasculine vintage type smell with a lot of those. This to me is not bracing. Though I understand it should not read as masculine as it is the definition of an ungendered fragrance. I found the opening meh, and a bit sweet. The mid was just a faded watered down version. The base was maybe just a quiet musk or something, clean, inoffensive and barely there.

Gentleman (new) by Givenchy

Interesting that this little diddy gets savaged. I think it is a pretty good fragrance. There is something a bit off and synthetic about the opening fruity pear thing, but as that dies down they actually did a good job on the mid and base here. That is so rare these days in a mass pleaser. Its got some dry woody vetiver stuff in the mid, that almost feels like a fractured version. It is a clear white woody thing. The iris hold. That pear in the opening mixed with the iris gives that facet a Ultra Male thing, but at an appropriate volume. I like the bottle. I like most things about this one, and think I might pick up one from this line. It does smell masculine, though in a clean way, and not an overly trying to be the sexy man with an upturned collar.

Gentlemen Only Absolute by Givenchy

I do not like this one. Its got some gourmand streak in it that smells gross to me. I do not want to smell like this. I was trying to place it as coffee or carmel or something. I even read nothing that gets me close in the notes now, so I guess just that vanilla was interacting with the nutmeg or something. The end factor is that this is something that I don't like. Like a sucky updated version of A*Men.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Weak

Slightly boozy. Quiet. Tobacco and some spices. Not an overly tobaccoy tobacco, if that makes any sense. This is the sweet kind of tobacco that doesn't smell like Tobacco Vanilla or a cigar. Its gentle, but smells good. Price is a little high still, in my opinion, but its not crazy. Neutral.

Mr. Burberry by Burberry

Eau de Mall

I like this one. It has the basic mens fragrance dna that is not sweet. Sort of the same vein as Gucci Guilty line. Boring, sure. Generic, I guess. But that is a trope that is well traveled for a reason. This is something that everyone can wear, it will always smell good. Its aromatic and masculine. Another from Kurkdjian that does clean and aromatic well. The base is a little thin, and it may not have the legs that some others have, but that is a positive for me. A lot of times that distance to the finish the fragrance is carried by some ugly smelling chemicals, that I do not detect here in high doses. I'm going to give this one a thumbs up. I think this is a super solid entry, though it will be breaking no ground.