Latest Perfume Reviews

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

The original Egoiste is a very rich vanilla and sandalwood scent, very very long lasting. I use to love the scent and wore it all the time...but have since moved on to others. Think of the scent like Obsession for men but much sweeter.
24th February, 2001

Joop! Homme by Joop!

A great causal fragrance geared to the men who want to be noticed and to leave a calling card behind This fragrance demands risk! It's should be worn to a club or a rock concert and throw conservative out the window!
21st February, 2001 (last edited: 10th April, 2008)

Touch for Men by Burberry

I was given a sample of Touch and it is exactly as you describe. Very fine - and the bottle with its wooden top is very handsome.
21st February, 2001

Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

A mixture of Mediterranean herbs. Rosemary, thyme, basil, etc. Very much like Yatagan by Caron. Thought this had been discontinued some time ago.

Old Spice Fresh Lime by Shulton

It was the standard Old Spice fragrance with a topnote of lime. This faded quite rapidly and did not disappear totally. Very refreshing and pleasant. Long gone.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

the most aquatic scent I know. Smells exactly like a walk along with sea shore. Salty, sea-weed-like scent that I do not care for but it is very well made for what it is. Comes in one of the best bottles ever: a stylized bamboo stalk.
12th February, 2001 (last edited: 15th July, 2009)

Jules by Christian Dior

An aromatic mixture of woods, fruit and spices. Somewhat similar to Poison but much more subdued and refined. It was not a success and I haven't seen it in years.
Unlike any other men's fragrance.

Hai Karate by Healthpoint Ltd

A rip-off of Jade East that was bought by the guys who didn't want to spend the big bucks to get the original. A floral Oriental scent. Harsher and less refined than Jade East.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

A very different mixture of floral (violet), greens and musk. Very long lasting and sweet. A guy needs a fair amount of panache to bring this one off successfully.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

May have been a failure in sales but is a definte winner in terms of quality. A beautifully made Oriental of vanilla, spice, citrus and sandalwood.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Very similar to Clinique's Aromatics Elixir. A dry floral and leather scent. Quite strong and long lasting.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

This is an old classic and the only cologne I think is even remotely similar to is Dior's Farenheit. It is very green, herbaceous, I think is the word, and extremely long-lasting.

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I don't think it smells at all like Grey Flannel, but is rather, for lack of a better word, 'cheap' and the obvious result of the manufacturer trying to cash in on a successful name. I never bought it for those reasons

Clear Day for Men by Etienne Aigner

Smelled it briefly in a shop in Israel not long ago and was so unimpressed I didn't buy it, notwithstanding its discount price. I was disappointed though, since Private Number by Aigner is rich, long-lasting and a favorite.

Aramis Gold by Aramis

I never bought it because it smelled so similar to Aramis, and while I did see it at Bergdorf's in New York, I don't seem to see it around too much. If you like Aramis you will certainly like this fragrance, but I'm not running for it.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

...this one is a real dog. No, perhaps one of the worst that Estee Lauder has made. Enough said, I'm getting a headache and sinus inflammation just thinking about it.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Very classy. The sweet cedary finish screams for an evening at a fancy restaurant. Pure sophistication and romance. Easy on the trigger though, it's potent.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I got a sample of Eau Sauvage EDT sent to me today, and I must admit that I'd forgotten how great it is!

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I wanted a second shot at this one, as I don't believe I was sufficiently adamant the first time round' You might as well sprinkle yourself with warm hog piss, as you'd get the same effect. I present to you that there be a good chance that this substance was brewed in the very depths of hell. Thank You and Good Day.
12th February, 2001 (last edited: 30th October, 2002)

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

This is a tricky one to form an opinion about. First of all I thought it was quite pleasant but no big deal. It's the sort of thing I've come across many times before, being citrus and pungent.
However, after an hour or so things are a little different. The vetiver comes to the fore. It has a sort of 'raw and earthy' smell. I've never smelt real vetiver, but I suppose this is what it smells like out of the ground. It's actually quite strong yet subtle after it dries down.
I don't know how to compare this to other vetivers, as I'm surprised at how little it has in common with the Guerlain version. Anyway, this is a nice laid back sort of perfume, which improves greatly as it dries down.
22nd January, 2001

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I tried this EDT today for the first time. I love it! Truly fantastic! This is a very classic EDT (launched in 1966) but it's still excellent today. This is the perfect balance of lemon with vetyver. I'm going to buy it!

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

I have a sample of Baie de Genievre..and I wasn't moved by it..it sorta has a licorice aroma that I don't find appealing. The dry down isn't as bad..but I wouldn't put this one on my Creed's must have list.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

I have a sample of Baie de Genievre and will probably buy a larger size in the near future. It is a very traditional and conservative scent. Very masculine and refined. It could be worn everywhere - to the office, in the evening, golfing, etc. I think it is a great scent that would appeal to most guys over a certain age. I don't think it would be appreciated too much by teenagers or those in their twenties.

Touch for Men by Burberry

I've recently purchased Burberry's Touch for men. I simply Love it!! I found that Touch has a very comfortable, easy to wear fragrance that becomes part of me with each day I wear it. I've had many compliments from my co-workers..and find that it has become my daily fragrance for the past few weeks. Im also ready to purchase a few more bottles! One to have at work (for freshening up) and One for my home. Guess Im addicted :-)
17th January, 2001

Brut by Fabergé

This much maligned fragrance was a hit in the sixties. It was top-line with its dark green and silver bottle. Again, this one was copied a lot. The current Brut is but a pale reflection of the original.
15th January, 2001

Blue Jeans by Versace

You can't beat it, it's clean, fresh, yet warm and alluring.. None of the other Versace Jeans scents match it in my view.
14th January, 2001
anak Show all reviews

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

I re-tried Eau Sauvage extreme today and remembered how AMAZING it is. MUCH better than the original
13th January, 2001

The Dreamer by Versace

I like Versace the Dreamer. I don't know why, but I find it intriguing somehow. Maybe it's because my only experience of it comes from a 5ml sample my brother has, so I've never used more than the tiniest amount. I'd imagine it would be really overpowering if I used any more than that
09th January, 2001

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

I really like Dune. It's not a fragrance I wear very often, but it makes a nice change from time to time. I know it's been criticised for not having enough individuality, but that doesn't bother me.
09th January, 2001

Coriolan by Guerlain

Coriolan is a very special fragrance. A description of its notes couldn't do it justice because it has that extra 'something'. Straight out of the bottle, it is fresh and invigorating, but as it dries down it just gets better and better and...
07th January, 2001