Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Toronto, Canada

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Toronto, Canada

That's exciting news Wormy, thanks!! Can't wait to see those exclusive prices lol. Really love Apple Brandy though.

New here, hi!

I also was also at the Saks opening, and thrilled to see so many great brands. I was really curious about how elaborate the Ex Nihilo counter was, since I've never heard of them (and was really interested in those light up scent chambers that line the counter). I left with 2 samples (oud vendome and fleur narcotique), but was really disappointed at how little the associate knew about the brand and about the specific scents themselves.

I thought I'd be madly in love with the Oud, but it was Fleur Narcotique that had me going back a few days later to make the splurge for a full bottle. I couldn't stop smelling my wrists all day where I'd applied it.

^ welcome! I hadn't heard of the brand either...so I haven't explored them just yet.

I stopped by the MKK counter today to try on Oud Silk Mood (the rose one). I had only smelled it from a tiny vial before, and found it lacking...yikes, a spray of this stuff is potent...I had to try to wash some off when i got back to work. TOO STROOOONG.

I was at Saks (Eaton Center) over the weekend too. I was excited to test out Le Labo, MFK, Clive Christian, and Memo Paris. Italian Leather is fantastic! I look forward to spending more time there after the crowds die down. Till then The Bay will do
    Current Top Picks:

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge Dress Code
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One EDP
    Hermes- Ambre Narguile
    Parfums de Marly - Herod
    Christian Dior - Fève Délicieuse
    Parfums de Marly - Oajan
    Imaginary Authors - Memoirs of a Trespasser
    Montale - Aoud Leather
    Creed - Aventus

I recently discovered that Jacob & Sebastian on Queen W, introduced a small number of ELDO. They are apparently planning to bring more in, if the line does well. They can also special order, by request, others from the line.
    Currently wearing: Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Basenotes Plus

Francis Kurkdjian will be in Toronto as follows:

Saks Eaton Centre (Yonge and Queen)
    On April 1st (Friday)
    From 2:00pm - 3:30pm
    Call in to ask for Hedieh to book an appointment if you want to meet with him

Saks Sherway Gardens
    On April 2nd (Saturday)
    From 1:00pm - 3:00pm
    Call in to ask for Mary to book an appointment if you want to meet him here.

^ interesting. I'm too shy for that sort of thing though.
    ---

Does anyone have a source at Hermes? I'm curious when the 2 new colognes are being released here, as well as the new Muguet Hermessence.

Basenotes Plus

LOL Dane. Would you say the same if it's Serge Lutens or Christopher Sheldrake?

In fact, there have been quite a few appearances from other frag celebs, such as John Malloy of MEMO a few weeks ago, Fabrice Penot of Le Labo was at Saks earlier this week........a few more are coming as I've heard.

But It's FK we're talking about!!!!! This might be once in a lifetime opportunity. I mean no purchase necessary (so they say), bring your Absolue Pour Le Soir, Eau Noire or even your bottle of Le Male and have him sign it!!! And take lots of pics, it's truly a dream come true (maybe for some). I wasted no time and jumped on this.
    Last edited by HackerX; 18th March 2016 at 04:21 PM.

I probably wouldn't even if it was Uncle Serge himself...I met Patricia de Nicolai once and it was so awkward (well, I was so awkward, she was lovely). I'm just bad at life.

ps - how have you (or anyone else) found the service at Saks? They've only been open for like a month and I've already had a bad experience there, with more than one salesperson. I was expecting their customer relations to be a step above The Bay, but it's not...at all.

Basenotes Plus

I guess it is a little awkward, I didn't even think about the awkwardness when I heard FK's name. But I have prepared some questions to keep the 10 or 15 minutes busy I hope lol.

I've been to both downtown Saks and Sherway Saks, and the service has mostly been good at both locations! I mean there were times where I discussed fragrance in great length and detail and had some of them completely lost and had them change topic, otherwise they were generally quite enthusiastic and sort of know something about the lines they were presenting. And a few of them were nice enough to offer samples without me even asking, and 1 or 2 of them really actually had a passion for fragrances in general. Otherwise you could tell they were just doing what they were supposed/trained to do, to push sales. But I didn't expect much from them anyway, if I wanted top service and good chats about fragrances I would've just have gone to Niche Essence.

But I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience so far, I'm sure we've all had some of those, especially in department stores, it's always a hit-and-miss.

I'm curious what you're going to ask him. I recall the folks from Noor saying they met him and he was extremely nice.

Basenotes Plus

A few questions are none-fragrance related, going to ask him how he's liking the city of Toronto, and a few other Toronto questions. Then some general questions like does he wear fragrances other than his own creations, his favorite perfumers.......etc

Any other BN planing a visit today @ Saks Sherway (apart from HackerX)?
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Plus

Folks, words in the community is that Kilian Exclusives are now available in Toronto (for long term), check your local Saks or Holts.

In other news, Le Labo City Exclusives will hit Saks some time in August.

Hello, I recently was at the Sephora in Barrie and they only had 1 Tom Ford Private Line Frag. I was wondering (since I no longer live in toronto and have to travel a few hours to get downtown) which Sephora location carries all the private line blends as listed on their site? I want to get some samples prior to purchase and would rather the freebies than perfumed court with their crazy shipping or blind buying (which I did with tobacco oud, turns out it was a good decision but don't want to repeat that again considering the $$$ spent). Eaton's Center or Yorkdale, or both? I know some stores have a limited range. Also, anyone know if both those stores carry an extensive l'artisan parfumeur collection?

Thanks!

Also, Armani Prive at Holts Sherway and downtown T.O. is the best. So hard to find other than ebay considering no one will ship to Canada (regulations or something?)

The Eaton Centre Sephora does not carry the full line - but Saks (which is connected to the building) does. The Armani Prive line is carried at the Bay (connected to Saks).

I'm not certain about Yorkdale, but I know Holt Renfew in Yorkdale carries both TF and Armani Prive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    The Eaton Centre Sephora does not carry the full line - but Saks (which is connected to the building) does. The Armani Prive line is carried at the Bay (connected to Saks).

I'm not certain about Yorkdale, but I know Holt Renfew in Yorkdale carries both TF and Armani Prive.
    Thanks for the quick response! Does Sephora still carry SL? I didn't notice any on their website. Good to know the bay carries armani prive. might just hit up saks and the bay next time rather than going to yorkdale. The only thing I enjoy about Sephora is that they seem to be unlimited with their supply of free samples.

Does saks and the bay offer freebies of scents when asked?

Quote Originally Posted by kattah View Post
    Thanks for the quick response! Does Sephora still carry SL? I didn't notice any on their website. Good to know the bay carries armani prive. might just hit up saks and the bay next time rather than going to yorkdale. The only thing I enjoy about Sephora is that they seem to be unlimited with their supply of free samples.

Does saks and the bay offer freebies of scents when asked?
    I haven't seen SL in the Sephora in Yorkville (not Yorkdale, I've never been).

Le Labo will be opening a store in Toronto this spring. It will be located on Queen West. Here is a link to the source for this information.

I live near the Le Labo shop, went least weekend after brunch and was not impressed. The SA wouldn't let me spray anything and insisted I sniff just the the cards which obviously had been handled tons and had little to no scent left. I got a sample if the Vetiver which sent me back 8$ with tax.
    I will continue to purchase from Saks instead, the Le Labo staff there are more knowledgeable and don't stop you from smelling the goods.

Basenotes Institution

Is it worth the time to stop by the Guerlain boutique in Toronto? I'm staying between Queen and York and probably not too far the boutique.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Is it worth the time to stop by the Guerlain boutique in Toronto? I'm staying between Queen and York and probably not too far the boutique.
    I was there today and it was dead slow... a holiday weekend. If you are a fan you should drop in.
    Just down the road are a slew of other fragrance shops and some of the best selections in Canada. For niche, La Boutique Noire is just to the north at 90 Yorkville Ave. Guerlain is at the west end of "The Mink mile".
    You are also near Saks, The Eaton Centre, and tons of fragrances off Queen St.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    I was there today and it was dead slow... a holiday weekend. If you are a fan you should drop in.
    Just down the road are a slew of other fragrance shops and some of the best selections in Canada. For niche, La Boutique Noire is just to the north at 90 Yorkville Ave. Guerlain is at the west end of "The Mink mile".
    You are also near Saks, The Eaton Centre, and tons of fragrances off Queen St.
    Thanks for the info U2u and will check it out. I walked to Chinatown and had dimsum at Rol San. Not bad.

The Guerlain store is nice, they have almost everything and the staff is very friendly and helpful. They don't make samples though.
    They make samples at Guerlain Saks on Queen but don;t have the full line.
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    The Guerlain store is nice, they have almost everything and the staff is very friendly and helpful. They don't make samples though.

They make samples at Guerlain Saks on Queen but don;t have the full line.
    Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally I was able to find time to stop by Guerlain and met Tanya who was really helpful. Eventhough I was there for a short time, it was a pleasant experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought a couple bottles and am on a waiting list for the new Oud scent which is going to be released anyday now. (((Thanks Tanya!)))
    Last edited by CapriDog; 30th May 2017 at 09:06 PM.

There were a few members raving about a store named Pennywise, so I went there to purchase some fragrances when I travelled to Toronto. The owner is very helpful and their products are authentic, so I was very impressed..loved the store. I intend to go back when I travel to Canada again in the summertime.

I saw someone at the Mugler section of the Bay on Queen today at lunch who seemed like they might be on Basenotes - anyone?

Hello all, new to this forum. Just wondering if anybody had experience purchasing from Maximum Fragrance in Missisauga? They seem to have an impressive selection of designer and niche fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by niche_addict View Post
    Hello all, new to this forum. Just wondering if anybody had experience purchasing from Maximum Fragrance in Missisauga? They seem to have an impressive selection of designer and niche fragrances.
    Greetings, niche_addict! Good question. I’d like to know too. I usually order from fragrancebuy.ca and they are excellent but they seem to be out of many items at the moment. It would be nice to have additional options.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

From The Time of the Dragon by
    Dorothy Eden

Thank you for the kind greetings! I visited the store and they have a huge selection. The staff there was nice and knowledgeable. It seems like they are similar to Fragrancebuy, except they have brick and mortar shops.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8