Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Dependent

Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by iamimrazkhan View Post
    I have a couple of questions if anybody is kind enough to answer:
    1) Can rose be smelt? If so, is it dark or flowery?
    2) Can a 20 year old who wears suits regularly pull it off? So is it a formal fragrance? A mature vibe?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Slayerized has it right. This guy knows his powerhouse and masculine frags.
    I would only add, to answer your question, that VCA PH is a dark rose.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Slayerized has it right. This guy knows his powerhouse and masculine frags.
    I would only add, to answer your question, that VCA PH is a dark rose.
    Thanks!
    I agree but I said ''light'' as it is not that dark prominent as let's say the rose in Montale Dark Aoud...........
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

I'm wearing it today. It's one of the powerhouses that I put in a small atomizer so I can get a smaller one spray. It can be a beast..

So the current formulation of VCA pH is still worthy?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    I would say yes for sure if you're into old school powerhouse scents (e.g. Quorum, Lapidus). You can get it online for pretty cheap, so it wouldn't be a big risk..

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I would say yes for sure if you're into old school powerhouse scents (e.g. Quorum, Lapidus). You can get it online for pretty cheap, so it wouldn't be a big risk..
    +1 Smells pretty close to vintage and also like it is still full of oakmoss to my nose and it lasts all day with above average projection for sure! (leaf pattern package that is).
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Quote Originally Posted by Unadan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    +1 Smells pretty close to vintage and also like it is still full of oakmoss to my nose and it lasts all day with above average projection for sure! (leaf pattern package that is).
    Agree - new leaf patterned box is good - there's one more version in-between that was real lousy (same goes for Tsar, although, I prefer vtg Tsar anyday)...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Sadly, I never got on well with this once and ended up giving my almost full bottle to my father-in-law. I would love to love this, but it is not to be. I like Tsar much better. I should find some vintage and see if I just had a dodgy reformulation.
    I am in same boat as you. This one is a scrubber. It is the soapy aspect that kills it for me.
    Tsar (all version except clear-green ribbed bottle )on the other hand is a masterpiece
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Agree - new leaf patterned box is good - there's one more version in-between that was real lousy (same goes for Tsar, although, I prefer vtg Tsar anyday)...
    et tu. You joined Slayerized camp too
    I guess I am the only one who finds 1st and 3rd version of Tsar the same (almost)
    Last edited by epapsiou; 23rd May 2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I kicked myself for not buying Tsar when it was $26 on Amazon, and later I kicked myself again for not getting the original VC&A Pour Homme when it was the same price. Especially after I found out it was similar to Trussardi Uomo. Now I'm dying to find out what this "gothic rose" scent is like. People even describe it as powdery. Trussardi Uomo isn't powdery though. So what is this scent like?

I just recently tried Jacques Bogart One Man Show. Great opening but when you get its final form...smokey, smokey, smokey. That style reminds me A LOT of Trussardi Uomo. And even a bit of Jacomo de Jacomo. Does VC&A have something similar going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I kicked myself for not buying Tsar when it was $26 on Amazon, and later I kicked myself again for not getting the original VC&A Pour Homme when it was the same price. Especially after I found out it was similar to Trussardi Uomo. Now I'm dying to find out what this "gothic rose" scent is like. People even describe it as powdery. Trussardi Uomo isn't powdery though. So what is this scent like?

I just recently tried Jacques Bogart One Man Show. Great opening but when you get its final form...smokey, smokey, smokey. That style reminds me A LOT of Trussardi Uomo. And even a bit of Jacomo de Jacomo. Does VC&A have something similar going on?
    I wore VC&A POUR HOMME two days in last week. I like it a lot.

It does have a nice dark rose note for sure. In wearing it is quite strong and very soapy. Really 70s level strong. I don't perceive it as smoky or powdery.

Probably the biggest sillage beast I have. I wore it once...got in elevator...went to store. Twenty minutes later, got back to elevator and scent rushed out at me as the doors opened. It's a "here he comes or he was here" kind of sillage.

It is one of those 70s scents with like 20 different notes in it so hard pressed to say which dominates. The rose is noticeable but I wouldn't call it a rose scent (if that makes any sense).

Have not tried those you mentioned. This strikes me a fair amount like ANTAEUS but louder, soapier and a bit rosier.

As I said earlier in this thread years ago, this is what Gene Simmons as a movie villain wears while in a black suit with black shirt.
    (Does anybody remember Gene Simmons acting career anymore?)
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

It does have a nice dark rose note for sure. In wearing it is quite strong and very soapy. Really 70s level strong. I don't perceive it as smoky or powdery.

Probably the biggest sillage beast I have. I wore it once...got in elevator...went to store. Twenty minutes later, got back to elevator and scent rushed out at me as the doors opened. It's a "here he comes or he was here" kind of sillage.

It is one of those 70s scents with like 20 different notes in it so hard pressed to say which dominates. The rose is noticeable but I wouldn't call it a rose scent (if that makes any sense).

Have not tried those you mentioned. This strikes me a fair amount like ANTAEUS but louder, soapier and a bit rosier.
    Pretty much agree with you on every front. VCA pour homme is third only to Kouros and Lapidus pour homme in my collection for projection. Used 3 sprays on myself about a month ago and my wife could smell it across the entire condo and said I overdid it lol.

I also find it a fair bit like Anteaus. Not necessarily a smell alike per say, but in the same vein as Antaeus; Dark, mysterious, alluring and gentlemanly. I also find it to be a louder, soapier, more rose forward version of Anteaus (without the castoreum though). If you like Anteaus, there's a good chance you like this.

Many others have described VCA pour homme as a 70s, Christopher Lee era Dracula. I can certainly see that. It's a little bit more alluring though so I tend to picture more a Dracula from a 70s skin flick though

In terms of age, it smells like its from a previous generation and is probably more "dated" smelling than Anteaus or many of its contemporaries, so it's all about you and your style if you can pull it off. If you tend to like old things and dress like a gentleman, I think you can pull this one off perfectly.
    Currently wearing: Dakar by Al Rehab

Also forgot to mention, I get no smoke at all and just a very slight touch of powder, almost like a shaving soap/cream kind of powder. Prices still seem somewhat reasonable on VCA pour homme so if you're thinking about pulling the pin I'd do it before they climb even farther

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedBarbershopFan View Post
    Pretty much agree with you on every front. VCA pour homme is third only to Kouros and Lapidus pour homme in my collection for projection. Used 3 sprays on myself about a month ago and my wife could smell it across the entire condo and said I overdid it lol.

I also find it a fair bit like Anteaus. Not necessarily a smell alike per say, but in the same vein as Antaeus; Dark, mysterious, alluring and gentlemanly. I also find it to be a louder, soapier, more rose forward version of Anteaus (without the castoreum though). If you like Anteaus, there's a good chance you like this.

Many others have described VCA pour homme as a 70s, Christopher Lee era Dracula. I can certainly see that. It's a little bit more alluring though so I tend to picture more a Dracula from a 70s skin flick though

In terms of age, it smells like its from a previous generation and is probably more "dated" smelling than Anteaus or many of its contemporaries, so it's all about you and your style if you can pull it off. If you tend to like old things and dress like a gentleman, I think you can pull this one off perfectly.
    Yeah, we're in sync on this. Fortunately I'm "mature" enough to not care if it's dated- and it probably is more dated than ANTAEUS.

But when I'm feeling dangerous and put on a black shirt, this is a "go to."

The Dracula thing is a bit dramatic but it is a touch gothic.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the inspiration - I'm going to wear this tomorrow. My last wear or two it was a little too dark / goth-feeling for me but I'm going to dab it and see if I can get a more subtle experience :-)

Yeah, we're in sync on this. Fortunately I'm "mature" enough to not care if it's dated- and it probably is more dated than ANTAEUS.

But when I'm feeling dangerous and put on a black shirt, this is a "go to."

The Dracula thing is a bit dramatic but it is a touch gothic.
    I'm always a bit dramatic when I think about what kind of mood/style evokes feelings of a fragrance

Truth be told though the overwhelming majority of my fragrances are worn with a t-shirt/polo and shorts in the summer and a sweater/cardigan and jeans in the winter lol

I'm always a bit dramatic when I think about what kind of mood/style evokes feelings of a fragrance

Truth be told though the overwhelming majority of my fragrances are worn with a t-shirt/polo and shorts in the summer and a sweater/cardigan and jeans in the winter lol
    So wear a black t-shirt/polo or a black cardigan.

Just got a decant of AT THE BARBERS today. Testing tonight. Can't say it's surprising you would have it given your user name.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration - I'm going to wear this tomorrow. My last wear or two it was a little too dark / goth-feeling for me but I'm going to dab it and see if I can get a more subtle experience :-)
    Good luck with subtle on this this one.

Let us know.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

VC&A pour Homme is somewhat similar to those but much better IMO. Miss it a lot.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

As I said earlier in this thread years ago, this is what Gene Simmons as a movie villain wears while in a black suit with black shirt.
    (Does anybody remember Gene Simmons acting career anymore?)
    The movie was Runaway (1984) starting Tom Selleck. Gene Simmons plays a sociopathic engineer who develops AI weaponry for the fed but goes rogue for bigger bucks in the black market. Notable for his robotic spiders and a gun that fires AI bullets that turn corners and track their targets. Was a cool movie but got crushed by other blockbusters like The Terminator and Star Trek III. I have this on disc.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The movie was Runaway (1984) starting Tom Selleck. Gene Simmons plays a sociopathic engineer who develops AI weaponry for the fed but goes rogue for bigger bucks in the black market. Notable for his robotic spiders and a gun that fires AI bullets that turn corners and track their targets. Was a cool movie but got crushed by other blockbusters like The Terminator and Star Trek III. I have this on disc.
    Remember it well. It was going to be Tom Selleck's big move from MAGNUM PI to films. Didn't really click.

And Gene would have been wearing VC&A...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 13th August 2020 at 06:44 AM.

Agree with this as well! (and yes, last version of VCAPH is way louder as Antaeus is as of 2016 with the black sprayer).
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Basenotes Plus

Good luck with subtle on this this one.

Let us know.
    Yeah, I just dabbed one spray on and then wiped half of it off. I think I can hang with that amount, but the true test will be when my wife comes back from her errands. She's not a big fan of this one..

about as subtle and nuanced as a breeze block --- it does smell good though

So wear a black t-shirt/polo or a black cardigan.

Just got a decant of AT THE BARBERS today. Testing tonight. Can't say it's surprising you would have it given your user name.
    No surprise, I love At the Barber's lol. Hope you enjoyed it. The drydown smells to me almost like a dead ringer for Platinum Egoiste, but the opening is significantly spicier and gets in the territory of my all-time favourite, Rive Gauche.

In terms of the subtlety of VCA pour homme; I've yet to go this lightly myself but try one spray on your chest below a (black) shirt. Subtle may not be VCA pour homme's game, but it smells damn good.