Code of Conduct
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1385
    Dependent

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

This is the watch I've been lusting after (on a friend's wrist), I had been searching to buy it pre-owned but decided instead to address my functional watch needs this year instead. (Thus the Ball, which replaced a ~20 year old Luminox that had been my work watch. I also bought a Citizen Eco-Drive Altichron, which has the best compass/altimeter I've found, to support my other passion, which is backcountry skiing}

Anyhow. Next year (and with the stainless bracelet instead of the NATO band)
    omega1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    I haven’t worn a battery powered watch in over 20 years. My stepfather passed away recently and I found this watch of his in a lock box. I took it home along with a couple Luminox and decided I would put a battery in it to see if it still worked. It started right up and all the digital functions work perfect. The watch is banged up and has quite a few small scratches in the crystal.
    Attachment 139020
    73BLow?!? Nice to find another fan of firearms, fragrances and watches

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    This is the watch I've been lusting after (on a friend's wrist), I had been searching to buy it pre-owned but decided instead to address my functional watch needs this year instead. (Thus the Ball, which replaced a ~20 year old Luminox that had been my work watch. I also bought a Citizen Eco-Drive Altichron, which has the best compass/altimeter I've found, to support my other passion, which is backcountry skiing}

omega1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
    That Omega is luscious. Maybe I'll get one in a few years.

Dependent

^ I know, right?? Here it is for sale - theres a few more pictures of it, including showing the really beautiful exhibition caseback (and also the Seamaster metal bracelet, which I love). For some reason I can't rip the pictures from this site to post them here. My friend (in the picture) bought his pre-owned for about $1,000 cheaper than this watch, which is brand new.
    https://www.bernardwatch.com/Omega/S...ometer/OMG3484

Basenotes Plus

Omega looks great. Love the Planet Ocean.

BTW, my new Seiko limited edition diver finally came in today. This is a 55th anniversary diver limited to 5,500. It may not be a submariner, but it sure is a sub-killer!

20201112_193339.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post

BTW, my new Seiko limited edition diver finally came in today. This is a 55th anniversary diver limited to 5,500. It may not be a submariner, but it sure is a sub-killer!

20201112_193339.jpg
    Looks great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1H]
    Everyone and their fu**ing nan has a submariner. Love the dark cobalt-ish dial on this Seiko piece.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Everyone and their fu**ing nan has a submariner. Love the dark cobalt-ish dial on this Seiko piece.
    Thanks. It looks ridiculous in person. I'm still learning how to photograph watches and I didn't do it justice. Perfect for a rainy NY day today with a few sprays of Prissana Nesnas Qareen (smoky, amber, oriental spices).

20201112_193339.jpg
    That is a sharp looking Seiko

Basenotes Plus

SO, after buying two very expensive (for me) watches in the last few months, first a Sinn 6000 and then the limited edition Seiko Diver Reissue SPB149J pictured above, I came across the opportunity to buy one of my dream watches at a price too good to turn down. That watch is the also limited edition Seiko Presage SPB085 Urushi Byakudan-Nuri. The Japanese language in the name refers to a series of lacquering and finishing techniques that are used on the dial and sub-dials. Basically this technique has thousands of years of history in Japan and was traditionally used to finish armor fit for high ranking Shogun and royalty and also for decorative use in sacred temples and shrines.

The lacquering is all done by hand in the studio of a master and involves processing and boiling the sap of a tree native to Japan, applying multiple coats, layering with finely powdered metal and charcoal, and finally polishing. The result is a deep pitch black that still feels warm and is said to evoke the night sky in the light of the moon. A gorgeous gold stroke is added for the power indicator.

Anyways, I'm clearly very excited about this watch so I'll stop the blathering and just show a few pictures. This watch completes my new high-end three watch collection (chrono/dress, diver, intricate dial dress). I love Seiko. Especially the limited edition watches, which I treasure just as much as any Swiss or other luxury watch. When Seiko sets out to do something special, they often exceed expectations.

This watch will have a permanent home in my collection. This watch is number 1371 of 2000 and comes in a gorgeous untreated wooden box with a very Japanese aesthetic.

Urushi Byakudan Nuri.jpg

Urushi Byakudan Nuri 2.jpg

SO, after buying two very expensive (for me) watches in the last few months, first a Sinn 6000 and then the limited edition Seiko Diver Reissue SPB149J pictured above, I came across the opportunity to buy one of my dream watches at a price too good to turn down. That watch is the also limited edition Seiko Presage SPB085 Urushi Byakudan-Nuri. The Japanese language in the name refers to a series of lacquering and finishing techniques that are used on the dial and sub-dials. Basically this technique has thousands of years of history in Japan and was traditionally used to finish armor fit for high ranking Shogun and royalty and also for decorative use in sacred temples and shrines.

The lacquering is all done by hand in the studio of a master and involves processing and boiling the sap of a tree native to Japan, applying multiple coats, layering with finely powdered metal and charcoal, and finally polishing. The result is a deep pitch black that still feels warm and is said to evoke the night sky in the light of the moon. A gorgeous gold stroke is added for the power indicator.

Anyways, I'm clearly very excited about this watch so I'll stop the blathering and just show a few pictures. This watch completes my new high-end three watch collection (chrono/dress, diver, intricate dial dress). I love Seiko. Especially the limited edition watches, which I treasure just as much as any Swiss or other luxury watch. When Seiko sets out to do something special, they often exceed expectations.

This watch will have a permanent home in my collection. This watch is number 1371 of 2000 and comes in a gorgeous untreated wooden box with a very Japanese aesthetic.
    CH]
    Handsome watch with a fun complication to boot. BIG congrats. Think there is some nice opportunity to play with different straps on this one as well.
    Don't stank.

Urushi Byakudan Nuri.jpg

It's beautiful! Congrats!

Urushi Byakudan Nuri.jpg

I adore this model. Wonderful choice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

omega1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

73BLow?!? Nice to find another fan of firearms, fragrances and watches
    Yup, and I'm thinking about getting the white dial version of that Seamaster on bracelet. I wasn't a fan of the new deeper waves on the dial, but they're less noticeable on the white dial.
    Currently wearing: Moss Cologne by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

Handsome watch with a fun complication to boot. BIG congrats. Think there is some nice opportunity to play with different straps on this one as well.
    Thanks. What straps would you think might work? I'm not so good with straps yet. Do you think a stainless steel might be interesting? Brown leather? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks. What straps would you think might work? I'm not so good with straps yet. Do you think a stainless steel might be interesting? Brown leather? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I think it looks great on its current strap.

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, and the current strap is ridiculously comfortable. Maybe I'll play around and see what a nice stainless steel bracelet looks like with it but most likely it will stay on the black alligator.

Man, I love this watch. My wife has forbidden me from buying any more.

Off the strap and slapped on the bracelet on my AT 8900. Accompanied by Parfum Dior Homme today.

thumbnail_IMG_0058.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0061.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Habibi, that's a verry nice watch, real serious craftsmanship. You sir have great taste and sense of quality. Lacquer dial Seiko FTW! Nice taste on your Sig scent of the day also haha!

Wearing vintage Michel Herbelin Paris mechanical watch and ready to go!

​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Off the strap and slapped on the bracelet on my AT 8900. Accompanied by Parfum Dior Homme today.

thumbnail_IMG_0058.jpg
    Is that an official Omega bracelet?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Wearing vintage Michel Herbelin Paris mechanical watch and ready to go!

Nice! The crown reminds me a bit of Cartier's watch crowns.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Is that an official Omega bracelet?
    Yessir, I don't know of any aftermarket bracelet that would fit properly or even look right.

The centerlinks are a scratch magnet disaster. Scratches add character sure, but it's too much. I have repolished the entire bracelet to a brushed finish. I tend to wear it on its rubber strap.

Beautiful watches shown, all. Thank you! Are sports watches the new dress watches?

Urushi Byakudan Nuri.jpg

That’s a very artistic watch to have. I have seen urushi in fountain pens, didn’t know it would be done with watches.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! The crown reminds me a bit of Cartier's watch crowns.
    Thanks. Yes, Herbelin adopted the jeweled crown. I’ve seen it on other watches too going way back but Cartier is most famous for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Beautiful watches shown, all. Thank you! Are sports watches the new dress watches?
    I wouldn't say that. I'd say over the last decade fashion has relaxed considerably. Even the people i know who are high networth rarely wear a suit outside of closing a deal of some sort, or dining at high-end restaurants that specifically call out semi-formal attire as a requirement for entry.

I think the affinity for sports watches reflects this more "relaxed fashion" society has come to have. On the same note, I just purchased a datejust 41 this week for that reason. I love my tudor bronze, and I wanted to get the Omega Grey side of the moon BUT I really wanted a watch that could seamlessly slide from t-shirt and jeans to a suit if need be.

I got a pretty unique configuration, i'll upload pictures when I pick up the watch this weekend. The one they had in store was ever so slightly different from the one i wanted to purchase so they're shipping it from their other store and i'll be picking it up Saturday or Monday. Very excited because this is my first Rolex, and I came from a life of hand-me-down clothing growing up. Hard work has paid off.
    Last edited by wood&leather; 20th November 2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Don't stank.

Very excited because this is my first Rolex, and I came from a life of hand-me-down clothing growing. Hard work has paid off.
    Congrats and well deserved indeed.

When the time is right, a 36 mm Datejust fluted jubilee would be nice to acquire. Blue or black dial, I cannot decide. I think it's another watch that works well in t-shirt and jeans and also in dress occasions.

I wouldn't say that. I'd say over the last decade fashion has relaxed considerably. Even the people i know who are high networth rarely wear a suit outside of closing a deal of some sort, or dining at high-end restaurants that specifically call out semi-formal attire as a requirement for entry.

I think the affinity for sports watches reflects this more "relaxed fashion" society has come to have. On the same note, I just purchased a datejust 41 this week for that reason. I love my tudor bronze, and I wanted to get the Omega Grey side of the moon BUT I really wanted a watch that could seamlessly slide from t-shirt and jeans to a suit if need be.

I got a pretty unique configuration, i'll upload pictures when I pick up the watch this weekend. The one they had in store was ever so slightly different from the one i wanted to purchase so they're shipping it from their other store and i'll be picking it up Saturday or Monday. Very excited because this is my first Rolex, and I came from a life of hand-me-down clothing growing. Hard work has paid off.
    Very true about less formal lifestyles. Congrats on the new acquisition! Looking forward to the photos. Definitely a fine reward. It’s a great feeling acquiring something by having earned it. (Gifts are nice too! )

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    Yessir, I don't know of any aftermarket bracelet that would fit properly or even look right.

The centerlinks are a scratch magnet disaster. Scratches add character sure, but it's too much. I have repolished the entire bracelet to a brushed finish. I tend to wear it on its rubber strap.
    I assumed it was probably Omega because of how perfect it looks.

- - - Updated - - -

I really wanted a watch that could seamlessly slide from t-shirt and jeans to a suit if need be.
    Then it sounds like you made the right choice. Looking forward to seeing it, and congrats!

Default Dear Diary...

So the unique configuration is two-tone in rose-gold with a unique color option called "Sundust". In some light it looks silver, in other light it's this soft blush/pink color that i love.

I've read some horror stories on rolex forums about the AD experience being bad, or not worth it but this one was 100% worth it.. Showed up early afternoon so I had the entire boutique to myself. Best part was, not only was my SA there but the Store Manager too who was meeting me for the first time. They poured me some scotch, showed me the watch and all of my worry was wiped away. The previous night I couldn't stop looking at youtube vids and photos of the watch and I was getting super nervous thinking the watch was too "pink and feminine". I was afraid I would back out at the last second, but nope it was perfect.

They both knew it was my first one so they were all sentimental and emotional for me. I told them the story about what got me into watches 4 years ago. I had a work trip to Switzerland and i bought a random citizen watch off amazon just as a fashion accessory but became so embarrassed when i landed in Zurich and realized I was in the mecca of "haute horology" seeing people with IWCs, JLCs, etc on wrist. Was so shamed that i put the watch in my pocket while walking through the airport. They were in tears laughing. I was in the boutique for 2 hours. No one else was in the store so the manager was working on her laptop while all 3 of us were sitting there just shooting the breeze.

Told them how when I bought my tudor, some guy came into the shop with a hood up looking all sketchy asking "if they had ANY stainless steel sports available". When I told them that, they laughed and said they get those type of people all day long, and they receive training on spotting these people and how to handle it. They got so comfortable with me, that they actually poured me a generous second glass of scotch and started bringing out crazy stuff they had in the back. Rose gold Yacht Master on OysterFlex, Two-Tone Daytona, Rose Gold SkyDweller on strap and a GLORIOUS all rosegold gmt.

The YM40 is a really cool sports watch for guys with smaller wrists. It was my first time trying on the oysterflex bracelet and it was very comfortable. I told them I was a big daytona hater because you can barely use the chrono function and the dial was cluttered, so they brought one out for me to try and i was liie "...okay yeah i guess this is kinda cool". I flat out asked what the deal was with skydwellers being so difficult to get. I mentioned that it was my grail rolex but i haven't even been able to see one in the flesh. The two of them made eye-contact, manager nodded, then they brought out a skydweller on strap. Absolutely hideous configuration BUT I was finally able to hold it in hand and play with the complication. She told me stainless steel are wildly backed up, but if i was interested in a two-tone it may be possible to get one within a year (nah, i'm sweet).

Sky-Dweller is sweet but it is a bit "bulbous" in case shape to fit the annual calendar complication. I can imagine the white or blue dials are what wet dreams are made of. Middle of my second scotch, manager says "let me show you my holy grail". I didn't get a picture of it because i was too busy gawking at it But it was the Root Beer GMT but on an ever-rose Oyster Bracelet. Most stunning rolex piece i've seen full stop. Made the standard Two-Tone CHNR look pretty crappy. I'm gonna keep hustling the next year and a half so maybe i can scoop it up for my 35th birthday as my "mid-life crisis" piece but it is crazy sexy to look at it.

At the end of the 2nd hour I busted out the sweetner. I told them I was thankful for them being kind to me instead of just laughing me out of the store for wanting a BLNR, they took the time to learn what else I wanted and worked for my business so I left each of them a $40 giftcard to this shwanky cocktail lounge around the corner from the boutique where drinks are like $14 a pop. Their faces lit up resisted giving me a hug (social distancing and all). They then went in the back and came out to give me a rolex hat and a suede travel pouch to carry my watch when I travel. Walked me to the door, I climbed into the back of my uber and drove off into the sunset. I think I made a lasting impression, and i might be able to scoop the BLNR for my birthday next summer. 10/10 experience.

Rose Gold Sky Dweller On Strap

President with Meteorite Dial (HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG)

Two-Tone Daytona

Glenfidditch 15 (lulz)

Yacht-Master 40 on OysterFlex

Don't stank.

Default Re: Dear Diary...

So the unique configuration is two-tone in rose-gold with a unique color option called "Sundust". In some light it looks silver, in other light it's this soft blush/pink color that i love.

I've read some horror stories on rolex forums about the AD experience being bad, or not worth it but this one was 100% worth it.. Showed up early afternoon so I had the entire boutique to myself. Best part was, not only was my SA there but the Store Manager too who was meeting me for the first time. They poured me some scotch, showed me the watch and all of my worry was wiped away. The previous night I couldn't stop looking at youtube vids and photos of the watch and I was getting super nervous thinking the watch was too "pink and feminine". I was afraid I would back out at the last second, but nope it was perfect.

They both knew it was my first one so they were all sentimental and emotional for me. I told them the story about what got me into watches 4 years ago. I had a work trip to Switzerland and i bought a random citizen watch off amazon just as a fashion accessory but became so embarrassed when i landed in Zurich and realized I was in the mecca of "haute horology" seeing people with IWCs, JLCs, etc on wrist. Was so shamed that i put the watch in my pocket while walking through the airport. They were in tears laughing. I was in the boutique for 2 hours. No one else was in the store so the manager was working on her laptop while all 3 of us were sitting there just shooting the breeze.

Told them how when I bought my tudor, some guy came into the shop with a hood up looking all sketchy asking "if they had ANY stainless steel sports available". When I told them that, they laughed and said they get those type of people all day long, and they receive training on spotting these people and how to handle it. They got so comfortable with me, that they actually poured me a generous second glass of scotch and started bringing out crazy stuff they had in the back. Rose gold Yacht Master on OysterFlex, Two-Tone Daytona, Rose Gold SkyDweller on strap and a GLORIOUS all rosegold gmt.

The YM40 is a really cool sports watch for guys with smaller wrists. It was my first time trying on the oysterflex bracelet and it was very comfortable. I told them I was a big daytona hater because you can barely use the chrono function and the dial was cluttered, so they brought one out for me to try and i was liie "...okay yeah i guess this is kinda cool". I flat out asked what the deal was with skydwellers being so difficult to get. I mentioned that it was my grail rolex but i haven't even been able to see one in the flesh. The two of them made eye-contact, manager nodded, then they brought out a skydweller on strap. Absolutely hideous configuration BUT I was finally able to hold it in hand and play with the complication. She told me stainless steel are wildly backed up, but if i was interested in a two-tone it may be possible to get one within a year (nah, i'm sweet).

Sky-Dweller is sweet but it is a bit "bulbous" in case shape to fit the annual calendar complication. I can imagine the white or blue dials are what wet dreams are made of. Middle of my second scotch, manager says "let me show you my holy grail". I didn't get a picture of it because i was too busy gawking at it But it was the Root Beer GMT but on an ever-rose Oyster Bracelet. Most stunning rolex piece i've seen full stop. Made the standard Two-Tone CHNR look pretty crappy. I'm gonna keep hustling the next year and a half so maybe i can scoop it up for my 35th birthday as my "mid-life crisis" piece but it is crazy sexy to look at it.

At the end of the 2nd hour I busted out the sweetner. I told them I was thankful for them being kind to me instead of just laughing me out of the store for wanting a BLNR, they took the time to learn what else I wanted and worked for my business so I left each of them a $40 giftcard to this shwanky cocktail lounge around the corner from the boutique where drinks are like $14 a pop. Their faces lit up resisted giving me a hug (social distancing and all). They then went in the back and came out to give me a rolex hat and a suede travel pouch to carry my watch when I travel. Walked me to the door, I climbed into the back of my uber and drove off into the sunset. I think I made a lasting impression, and i might be able to scoop the BLNR for my birthday next summer. 10/10 experience.
    Congratulations! It looks great! I am happy for you, and happy to hear that you were treated like a very special customer.

Basenotes Plus

[center]
    Looks like you changed your mind on the fluted bezel w/ jubilee combo. Nice choice!
    Currently wearing: Moss Cologne by Bortnikoff

Congratulations! It looks great! I am happy for you, and happy to hear that you were treated like a very special customer.
    Thank you very much. It was indeed a very special experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    Looks like you changed your mind on the fluted bezel w/ jubilee combo. Nice choice!
    Thanks, I forgot I didn't get into it on this forum. What ended up happening was that I went in to pick up the blue dial on jubilee with smooth bezel. Was going to walk out with it that day, but while i was standing around the boutique i noticed this "sundust" dial color and asked to try it on. I loved it but it was a smooth bezel also. Something about it made me want to see it on fluted so i asked if they could source the fluted bezel combo for me.

Came back a week later and when I saw it, I just had to have it. Interestingly enough, the rosegold jubilee is actually less "blingy" than the stainless steel version in person. go figure.
    Don't stank.

I only have 2 watches, both TAG Heuer.... but this is my Ltd Ed Ayrton Senna...

IMG_20201125_141252_resized_20201125_023040459.jpg
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 LastLast