Code of Conduct
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47
Results 1,381 to 1,385 of 1385

Default Re: Dear Diary...

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    So the unique configuration is two-tone in rose-gold with a unique color option called "Sundust". In some light it looks silver, in other light it's this soft blush/pink color that i love.

I've read some horror stories on rolex forums about the AD experience being bad, or not worth it but this one was 100% worth it.. Showed up early afternoon so I had the entire boutique to myself. Best part was, not only was my SA there but the Store Manager too who was meeting me for the first time. They poured me some scotch, showed me the watch and all of my worry was wiped away. The previous night I couldn't stop looking at youtube vids and photos of the watch and I was getting super nervous thinking the watch was too "pink and feminine". I was afraid I would back out at the last second, but nope it was perfect.

They both knew it was my first one so they were all sentimental and emotional for me. I told them the story about what got me into watches 4 years ago. I had a work trip to Switzerland and i bought a random citizen watch off amazon just as a fashion accessory but became so embarrassed when i landed in Zurich and realized I was in the mecca of "haute horology" seeing people with IWCs, JLCs, etc on wrist. Was so shamed that i put the watch in my pocket while walking through the airport. They were in tears laughing. I was in the boutique for 2 hours. No one else was in the store so the manager was working on her laptop while all 3 of us were sitting there just shooting the breeze.

Told them how when I bought my tudor, some guy came into the shop with a hood up looking all sketchy asking "if they had ANY stainless steel sports available". When I told them that, they laughed and said they get those type of people all day long, and they receive training on spotting these people and how to handle it. They got so comfortable with me, that they actually poured me a generous second glass of scotch and started bringing out crazy stuff they had in the back. Rose gold Yacht Master on OysterFlex, Two-Tone Daytona, Rose Gold SkyDweller on strap and a GLORIOUS all rosegold gmt.

The YM40 is a really cool sports watch for guys with smaller wrists. It was my first time trying on the oysterflex bracelet and it was very comfortable. I told them I was a big daytona hater because you can barely use the chrono function and the dial was cluttered, so they brought one out for me to try and i was liie "...okay yeah i guess this is kinda cool". I flat out asked what the deal was with skydwellers being so difficult to get. I mentioned that it was my grail rolex but i haven't even been able to see one in the flesh. The two of them made eye-contact, manager nodded, then they brought out a skydweller on strap. Absolutely hideous configuration BUT I was finally able to hold it in hand and play with the complication. She told me stainless steel are wildly backed up, but if i was interested in a two-tone it may be possible to get one within a year (nah, i'm sweet).

Sky-Dweller is sweet but it is a bit "bulbous" in case shape to fit the annual calendar complication. I can imagine the white or blue dials are what wet dreams are made of. Middle of my second scotch, manager says "let me show you my holy grail". I didn't get a picture of it because i was too busy gawking at it But it was the Root Beer GMT but on an ever-rose Oyster Bracelet. Most stunning rolex piece i've seen full stop. Made the standard Two-Tone CHNR look pretty crappy. I'm gonna keep hustling the next year and a half so maybe i can scoop it up for my 35th birthday as my "mid-life crisis" piece but it is crazy sexy to look at it.

At the end of the 2nd hour I busted out the sweetner. I told them I was thankful for them being kind to me instead of just laughing me out of the store for wanting a BLNR, they took the time to learn what else I wanted and worked for my business so I left each of them a $40 giftcard to this shwanky cocktail lounge around the corner from the boutique where drinks are like $14 a pop. Their faces lit up resisted giving me a hug (social distancing and all). They then went in the back and came out to give me a rolex hat and a suede travel pouch to carry my watch when I travel. Walked me to the door, I climbed into the back of my uber and drove off into the sunset. I think I made a lasting impression, and i might be able to scoop the BLNR for my birthday next summer. 10/10 experience.

Rose Gold Sky Dweller On Strap

President with Meteorite Dial (HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG)

Two-Tone Daytona

Glenfidditch 15 (lulz)

Yacht-Master 40 on OysterFlex

What an exciting event! Thanks for sharing it. Congrats and wear that watch joyfully!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

I'm wearing my trusty Accutron Amerigo today. It was one of the last models Accutron produced before the line was disastrously rebranded Accu-Swiss (it's now back under the name Accutron now, with a new debut watch commemorating the brand's history). These were dumped on the market en masse at extraordinary discounts.

I've always loved this piece. It's an odd duck when it comes to styling, but I always thought the weird details somehow came together in a satisfying whole. The fit and finish are great. Accutron clearly tried their hardest to produce a luxury watch, even if their designs were too oddball to connect with the market.

I don't have it on the bracelet right now, but the Amerigo's bracelet has a wholly polarizing design, like an overengineered Rolex President style, with a very complex build of individually articulating links. It really went the "extra mile." (I had another model from this same era, too, and ended up selling it because it was too big for my wrist after I lost weight. The build quality on that one, too, was pretty impressive.)

Anyway, the Amerigo has long been my exuberant, festive, celebratory watch, and feels like a good choice for the Thanksgiving holiday.

IMG_20201126_073352_173.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm wearing my trusty Accutron Amerigo today.
    I can see why some might find it a little over the top (the second hand is especially odd), but I really like the "sunrise" background on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I can see why some might find it a little over the top (the second hand is especially odd), but I really like the "sunrise" background on the face.
    Yeah, it has a lot going on. That weird seconds hand, the onion crown, the smirk date...

Feels very "Aughts" to me, which was the era when you had Patek producing things like this:

patek-philippe-neptune-stainless-steel-watch-5085-1a-001.jpg

Aughts watch design had a very "let's just throw stuff at the wall and hopefully it all balances out in the end" approach to aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I've always loved this piece. It's an odd duck when it comes to styling, but I always thought the weird details somehow came together in a satisfying whole. The fit and finish are great. Accutron clearly tried their hardest to produce a luxury watch, even if their designs were too oddball to connect with the market.

Anyway, the Amerigo has long been my exuberant, festive, celebratory watch, and feels like a good choice for the Thanksgiving holiday.

[ATTACH=CONFIACH]
    Call me crazy but i like unique/quirky dials like this. I'm a fan of the Glashutte PanoReserve for that same reason.

Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Aoud by Roja Dove