Code of Conduct
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1415

Default Re: Dear Diary...

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    So the unique configuration is two-tone in rose-gold with a unique color option called "Sundust". In some light it looks silver, in other light it's this soft blush/pink color that i love.

I've read some horror stories on rolex forums about the AD experience being bad, or not worth it but this one was 100% worth it.. Showed up early afternoon so I had the entire boutique to myself. Best part was, not only was my SA there but the Store Manager too who was meeting me for the first time. They poured me some scotch, showed me the watch and all of my worry was wiped away. The previous night I couldn't stop looking at youtube vids and photos of the watch and I was getting super nervous thinking the watch was too "pink and feminine". I was afraid I would back out at the last second, but nope it was perfect.

They both knew it was my first one so they were all sentimental and emotional for me. I told them the story about what got me into watches 4 years ago. I had a work trip to Switzerland and i bought a random citizen watch off amazon just as a fashion accessory but became so embarrassed when i landed in Zurich and realized I was in the mecca of "haute horology" seeing people with IWCs, JLCs, etc on wrist. Was so shamed that i put the watch in my pocket while walking through the airport. They were in tears laughing. I was in the boutique for 2 hours. No one else was in the store so the manager was working on her laptop while all 3 of us were sitting there just shooting the breeze.

Told them how when I bought my tudor, some guy came into the shop with a hood up looking all sketchy asking "if they had ANY stainless steel sports available". When I told them that, they laughed and said they get those type of people all day long, and they receive training on spotting these people and how to handle it. They got so comfortable with me, that they actually poured me a generous second glass of scotch and started bringing out crazy stuff they had in the back. Rose gold Yacht Master on OysterFlex, Two-Tone Daytona, Rose Gold SkyDweller on strap and a GLORIOUS all rosegold gmt.

The YM40 is a really cool sports watch for guys with smaller wrists. It was my first time trying on the oysterflex bracelet and it was very comfortable. I told them I was a big daytona hater because you can barely use the chrono function and the dial was cluttered, so they brought one out for me to try and i was liie "...okay yeah i guess this is kinda cool". I flat out asked what the deal was with skydwellers being so difficult to get. I mentioned that it was my grail rolex but i haven't even been able to see one in the flesh. The two of them made eye-contact, manager nodded, then they brought out a skydweller on strap. Absolutely hideous configuration BUT I was finally able to hold it in hand and play with the complication. She told me stainless steel are wildly backed up, but if i was interested in a two-tone it may be possible to get one within a year (nah, i'm sweet).

Sky-Dweller is sweet but it is a bit "bulbous" in case shape to fit the annual calendar complication. I can imagine the white or blue dials are what wet dreams are made of. Middle of my second scotch, manager says "let me show you my holy grail". I didn't get a picture of it because i was too busy gawking at it But it was the Root Beer GMT but on an ever-rose Oyster Bracelet. Most stunning rolex piece i've seen full stop. Made the standard Two-Tone CHNR look pretty crappy. I'm gonna keep hustling the next year and a half so maybe i can scoop it up for my 35th birthday as my "mid-life crisis" piece but it is crazy sexy to look at it.

At the end of the 2nd hour I busted out the sweetner. I told them I was thankful for them being kind to me instead of just laughing me out of the store for wanting a BLNR, they took the time to learn what else I wanted and worked for my business so I left each of them a $40 giftcard to this shwanky cocktail lounge around the corner from the boutique where drinks are like $14 a pop. Their faces lit up resisted giving me a hug (social distancing and all). They then went in the back and came out to give me a rolex hat and a suede travel pouch to carry my watch when I travel. Walked me to the door, I climbed into the back of my uber and drove off into the sunset. I think I made a lasting impression, and i might be able to scoop the BLNR for my birthday next summer. 10/10 experience.

Rose Gold Sky Dweller On Strap

President with Meteorite Dial (HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG)

Two-Tone Daytona

Glenfidditch 15 (lulz)

Yacht-Master 40 on OysterFlex

What an exciting event! Thanks for sharing it. Congrats and wear that watch joyfully!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

I'm wearing my trusty Accutron Amerigo today. It was one of the last models Accutron produced before the line was disastrously rebranded Accu-Swiss (it's now back under the name Accutron now, with a new debut watch commemorating the brand's history). These were dumped on the market en masse at extraordinary discounts.

I've always loved this piece. It's an odd duck when it comes to styling, but I always thought the weird details somehow came together in a satisfying whole. The fit and finish are great. Accutron clearly tried their hardest to produce a luxury watch, even if their designs were too oddball to connect with the market.

I don't have it on the bracelet right now, but the Amerigo's bracelet has a wholly polarizing design, like an overengineered Rolex President style, with a very complex build of individually articulating links. It really went the "extra mile." (I had another model from this same era, too, and ended up selling it because it was too big for my wrist after I lost weight. The build quality on that one, too, was pretty impressive.)

Anyway, the Amerigo has long been my exuberant, festive, celebratory watch, and feels like a good choice for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Attachment 140311

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm wearing my trusty Accutron Amerigo today.
    I can see why some might find it a little over the top (the second hand is especially odd), but I really like the "sunrise" background on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I can see why some might find it a little over the top (the second hand is especially odd), but I really like the "sunrise" background on the face.
    Yeah, it has a lot going on. That weird seconds hand, the onion crown, the smirk date...

Feels very "Aughts" to me, which was the era when you had Patek producing things like this:

Attachment 140314

Aughts watch design had a very "let's just throw stuff at the wall and hopefully it all balances out in the end" approach to aesthetics.

I've always loved this piece. It's an odd duck when it comes to styling, but I always thought the weird details somehow came together in a satisfying whole. The fit and finish are great. Accutron clearly tried their hardest to produce a luxury watch, even if their designs were too oddball to connect with the market.

Anyway, the Amerigo has long been my exuberant, festive, celebratory watch, and feels like a good choice for the Thanksgiving holiday.

[ATTACH=CONFIACH]
    Call me crazy but i like unique/quirky dials like this. I'm a fan of the Glashutte PanoReserve for that same reason.

Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Qatar by Roja Dove

So the unique configuration is two-tone in rose-gold with a unique color option called "Sundust". In some light it looks silver, in other light it's this soft blush/pink color that i love.

I've read some horror stories on rolex forums about the AD experience being bad, or not worth it but this one was 100% worth it.. Showed up early afternoon so I had the entire boutique to myself. Best part was, not only was my SA there but the Store Manager too who was meeting me for the first time. They poured me some scotch, showed me the watch and all of my worry was wiped away. The previous night I couldn't stop looking at youtube vids and photos of the watch and I was getting super nervous thinking the watch was too "pink and feminine". I was afraid I would back out at the last second, but nope it was perfect.

They both knew it was my first one so they were all sentimental and emotional for me. I told them the story about what got me into watches 4 years ago. I had a work trip to Switzerland and i bought a random citizen watch off amazon just as a fashion accessory but became so embarrassed when i landed in Zurich and realized I was in the mecca of "haute horology" seeing people with IWCs, JLCs, etc on wrist. Was so shamed that i put the watch in my pocket while walking through the airport. They were in tears laughing. I was in the boutique for 2 hours. No one else was in the store so the manager was working on her laptop while all 3 of us were sitting there just shooting the breeze.

Told them how when I bought my tudor, some guy came into the shop with a hood up looking all sketchy asking "if they had ANY stainless steel sports available". When I told them that, they laughed and said they get those type of people all day long, and they receive training on spotting these people and how to handle it. They got so comfortable with me, that they actually poured me a generous second glass of scotch and started bringing out crazy stuff they had in the back. Rose gold Yacht Master on OysterFlex, Two-Tone Daytona, Rose Gold SkyDweller on strap and a GLORIOUS all rosegold gmt.

The YM40 is a really cool sports watch for guys with smaller wrists. It was my first time trying on the oysterflex bracelet and it was very comfortable. I told them I was a big daytona hater because you can barely use the chrono function and the dial was cluttered, so they brought one out for me to try and i was liie "...okay yeah i guess this is kinda cool". I flat out asked what the deal was with skydwellers being so difficult to get. I mentioned that it was my grail rolex but i haven't even been able to see one in the flesh. The two of them made eye-contact, manager nodded, then they brought out a skydweller on strap. Absolutely hideous configuration BUT I was finally able to hold it in hand and play with the complication. She told me stainless steel are wildly backed up, but if i was interested in a two-tone it may be possible to get one within a year (nah, i'm sweet).

Sky-Dweller is sweet but it is a bit "bulbous" in case shape to fit the annual calendar complication. I can imagine the white or blue dials are what wet dreams are made of. Middle of my second scotch, manager says "let me show you my holy grail". I didn't get a picture of it because i was too busy gawking at it But it was the Root Beer GMT but on an ever-rose Oyster Bracelet. Most stunning rolex piece i've seen full stop. Made the standard Two-Tone CHNR look pretty crappy. I'm gonna keep hustling the next year and a half so maybe i can scoop it up for my 35th birthday as my "mid-life crisis" piece but it is crazy sexy to look at it.

At the end of the 2nd hour I busted out the sweetner. I told them I was thankful for them being kind to me instead of just laughing me out of the store for wanting a BLNR, they took the time to learn what else I wanted and worked for my business so I left each of them a $40 giftcard to this shwanky cocktail lounge around the corner from the boutique where drinks are like $14 a pop. Their faces lit up resisted giving me a hug (social distancing and all). They then went in the back and came out to give me a rolex hat and a suede travel pouch to carry my watch when I travel. Walked me to the door, I climbed into the back of my uber and drove off into the sunset. I think I made a lasting impression, and i might be able to scoop the BLNR for my birthday next summer. 10/10 experience.

Rose Gold Sky Dweller On Strap

President with Meteorite Dial (HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG)

Two-Tone Daytona

Glenfidditch 15 (lulz)

Yacht-Master 40 on OysterFlex

Very classy watch and congratulations. Really enjoyed reading about your experience. I got 2 bottles of Peroni when I picked up my BLNR which went down a treat

Default Re: Post A Picture of Your Scents

Decided to let the Omega Seamaster 300 go after owning it for a little over 6 months. It was a great watch in many ways but there were a couple of things I didn’t like about it which in the end proved too much for me to continue looking past - number 1 was the sword hands, number 2 was the HEV and number 3 was the wave dial which just felt a little cartoonish at times.

I love Panerai and decided I wanted a classic Luminor base dial with ETA movement. WatchFinder had a great looking example and after a little negotiation the trade was done for this lovely 112.

Just switched it into a blue rubber strap I had to give a more casual look but it looked great on the stock black calf.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Post A Picture of Your Scents

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Decided to let the Omega Seamaster 300 go after owning it for a little over 6 months. It was a great watch in many ways but there were a couple of things I didn’t like about it which in the end proved too much for me to continue looking past - number 1 was the sword hands, number 2 was the HEV and number 3 was the wave dial which just felt a little cartoonish at times.

I love Panerai and decided I wanted a classic Luminor base dial with ETA movement. WatchFinder had a great looking example and after a little negotiation the trade was done for this lovely 112.

Just switched it into a blue rubber strap I had to give a more casual look but it looked great on the stock black calf.

Very nice!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Very classy watch and congratulations. Really enjoyed reading about your experience. I got 2 bottles of Peroni when I picked up my BLNR which went down a treat
    Thanks a lot man. I stopped in a A Lange & Sohne boutique yesterday because I wanted to see what they looked like in the flesh. Great beautiful pieces, but in all honesty i didn't get that much more "wow" than the Glashutte Original spinoffs. I mean obviously the A Lange's are precious metal but other than that I think I could be fine with a GO in the future.

Another unique experience was that I was able to try on a JLC Reverso for the first time. LOVED it. In pictures I was worried that the rectangular case would be too bulbous and thick but that wasn't the case at all. Extremely smart looking piece, and I could probably play with the duoface all day long.

Really like your panerai. That was another one i thought looked huge in photos, but once you get it on wrist it's very enjoyable. Congrats on the pickup!
    Don't stank.

Thanks a lot man. I stopped in a A Lange & Sohne boutique yesterday because I wanted to see what they looked like in the flesh. Great beautiful pieces, but in all honesty i didn't get that much more "wow" than the Glashutte Original spinoffs. I mean obviously the A Lange's are precious metal but other than that I think I could be fine with a GO in the future.

Another unique experience was that I was able to try on a JLC Reverso for the first time. LOVED it. In pictures I was worried that the rectangular case would be too bulbous and thick but that wasn't the case at all. Extremely smart looking piece, and I could probably play with the duoface all day long.

Really like your panerai. That was another one i thought looked huge in photos, but once you get it on wrist it's very enjoyable. Congrats on the pickup!
    Cheers, yeah in photos it does look like it’s too big for me but from a few feet away it looks absolutely fine, besides it supposed to look big right?

I tried on the JLC reverso tribute 1931 a couple of times and it’s a beautiful watch, a little too formal for my current tastes but could see one in my future for sure.

I recently grabbed the Forstner Komfit bracelet reissue (the iconic watch band used for the Speedy on the moon landing). I put it on my Hamilton Jazzmaster, which has a "Space Age" feel that goes well with the bracelet:

Attachment 140531

It's a bit tricky to fasten but is insanely comfortable.

Dependent

I recently grabbed the Forstner Komfit bracelet reissue (the iconic watch band used for the Speedy on the moon landing). I put it on my Hamilton Jazzmaster, which has a "Space Age" feel that goes well with the bracelet:

Attachment 140531

Love the watch and that bracelet!

Before I read that last line, I was just gonna say "that mesh looks like it would be SO comfortable." cheers m8. Enjoy!
    Don't stank.

I picked this up for $30 on clearance, the watch looks way more expensive in person and dresses up nicely will be a good beater for work. What really sealed the deal was the second hand hits each second dead on which is rare for a cheapie and on clearance from $52 was a perk!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I picked this up for $30 on clearance, the watch looks way more expensive in person and dresses up nicely will be a good beater for work. What really sealed the deal was the second hand hits each second dead on which is rare for a cheapie and on clearance from $52 was a perk!
    Looks like a great value for what you paid. I can see how this would look more expensive on the wrist. The dead-on second hand is a great detail. 165 meter (?) water resistance sounds a little random, but is actually quite impressive at that price point. Unless it means 165 feet, which is still more than enough for work (I would guess). I like the simplicity of the face. Enjoy your nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Looks like a great value for what you paid. I can see how this would look more expensive on the wrist. The dead-on second hand is a great detail. 165 meter (?) water resistance sounds a little random, but is actually quite impressive at that price point. Unless it means 165 feet, which is still more than enough for work (I would guess). I like the simplicity of the face. Enjoy your nice find!
    Thanks yea it’s 50M water resistant more than fine for work, watch is big too nice size bezel should serve the purpose well.

my trusted timepiece

late 1960's Bulova Accutron.

Makes a great humming noise from the tuning fork!

watch-1-3.jpg
    Last edited by Mark.B; 1st December 2020 at 01:42 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
    my trusted timepiece

late 1960's Bulova Accutron.

Makes a great humming noise from the tuning fork!

watch-1-3.jpg
    Very stylish! Looks nice with the crown at the IIII position instead of the III position. Is the strap calfskin?

Very stylish! Looks nice with the crown at the IIII position instead of the III position. Is the strap calfskin?
    Yes it is. Maybe one day I can afford a datejust but meanwhile this is my dress watch of choice.

Basenotes Plus

Hey all: I want to share a story to get some feedback on whether I am right or wrong for being upset:

I live in Brooklyn. The cost of living here is very high, and even though I am married, I am sharing my apartment with one of my very good friends. The apartment is massive and has two floors, which makes it bearable as my wife and I have tons of private space.

Now, my friend/roommate and I have recently gotten into watches. He can afford things I can't because he made a bunch of money in bitcoin. I'm generally the brighter of the two of us, but I've never been good at investing. In the last few months he's purchased a Reverso, Datejust and Submariner. I applaud all the purchases and they are beautiful watches. I'm happy with my affordable Sinn and limited edition Seikos.

Recently, we've both been looking at Grand Seiko as a great bargain and just for fun. Last week I took him to the Grand Seiko boutique with me. I showed him my grail watch - the light-blue dial snowflake with the spring drive. It comes on an alligator bracelet, and I even told him that I would swap out the alligator for a stainless steel bracelet if possible. I told him that this was the watch I would buy when I make partner at my law firm next year.

I suppose you know where the story goes from here...yesterday precisely that watch (with a stainless steel bracelet, no less) was posted on r/watchexchange on Reddit, a forum we both browse. He stays up all night because he is jobless and is always the first to see these things. Of course, he decided to purchase the watch and made a big deal out of it, showing it to me excitedly, etc. I did my best to be happy for him but I was crushed inside. This was my grail watch, in an unusual configuration, and my friend, who would not have known about this watch without me, made the purchase. Of course it is a free world and there is no reason he shouldn't be able to purchase it if he can afford it. I know one day he and I will probably live in different parts of the City, or maybe in different parts of the country, but I now see no reason to purchase the watch. It has been ruined for me. Was it a dick move? Am I being a silly jealous B? Is it none of those things and should I go back to work? Probably.

Here's the watch in case you are interested (and the reddit URL):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchan...snowflake_aka/

xHMWZfx.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Is it none of those things and should I go back to work? Probably.
    I'd agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hey all: I want to share a story to get some feedback on whether I am right or wrong for being upset:

I live in Brooklyn. The cost of living here is very high, and even though I am married, I am sharing my apartment with one of my very good friends. The apartment is massive and has two floors, which makes it bearable as my wife and I have tons of private space.

Now, my friend/roommate and I have recently gotten into watches. He can afford things I can't because he made a bunch of money in bitcoin. I'm generally the brighter of the two of us, but I've never been good at investing. In the last few months he's purchased a Reverso, Datejust and Submariner. I applaud all the purchases and they are beautiful watches. I'm happy with my affordable Sinn and limited edition Seikos.

Recently, we've both been looking at Grand Seiko as a great bargain and just for fun. Last week I took him to the Grand Seiko boutique with me. I showed him my grail watch...
    For the record I knew where this was headed here.

First and foremost, huge dick move. Not the fact that he purchased the watch but the celebration and rushing to rub your nose in it. That's just poor taste and poor character. That said, I'm well aware there is a large portion of the population that genuinely lacks "emotional intelligence" and can't read sensitive situations like that.

Secondly, I do sympathize with you. This reminds me of my sophmore year in high school. MP3 Players (and the original ipod) were all the rage. I was working my first job as a barista at a coffee shop earning $8.50/hr. I couldn't stop talking about how I was going to buy an mp3 player at the end of summer. Of course, my best friend from the wrestling team comes walking in with a mp3 player. Grinning ear to ear. I was super pissed at him, but ultimately realized i was just jealous that he had it and immaturely annoyed that he acquired it first.

As for your grail being ruined. Try to remember that it isn't a 1 of 1. A cursory glance of chrono24 shows two of that exact model, and about 2 dozen more with the strap and adding the bracelet is a trivial procedure. The fact that your moderately douchebag friend purchased it so whimsically is the only thing for you to get over and I'm certain that'll happen with time. "The 72 hour rule" will sort out your current emotional annoyance, and he'll more than likely grow bored with the watch before you're in a position to acquire it.

Aside from a Lange 1, the all rose-gold (everose) gmt rolex is my grail and nothing but cringey-predictable new finance bro money wears that watch. Not stopping me from chasing it. Chin up my good man.

Don't stank.

Basenotes Plus

Good advice from two of my favorite posters on here. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

That Rose Gold GMT is gorgeous, BTW.

My latest acquisition: the baby Snowflake.

Attachment 140856

Basenotes Plus

Attachment 140856
    Excellent.

Dependent

First and foremost, huge dick move. Not the fact that he purchased the watch but the celebration and rushing to rub your nose in it. That's just poor taste and poor character. That said, I'm well aware there is a large portion of the population that genuinely lacks "emotional intelligence" and can't read sensitive situations like that.
    I agree with these sentiments. To be honest, I would probably have been crushed as well. I hope that your friend's behavior was simply a matter of lacking emotional intelligence. Keep working hard, as you clearly have been. As far as the watch being ruined for you, there's no need to let that happen IMO. By the way, that Seiko is a stunner and you clearly have great taste, so I'm sure that whatever you get for yourself will be a very fine choice.

---

Also, that Rolex is delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 140856
    Gorgeous in its simplicity. I like the matte, textured dial and the shape of the hands; very classy and understated. Well done!

Basenotes Plus

I agree with these sentiments. To be honest, I would probably have been crushed as well. I hope that your friend's behavior was simply a matter of lacking emotional intelligence. Keep working hard, as you clearly have been. As far as the watch being ruined for you, there's no need to let that happen IMO. By the way, that Seiko is a stunner and you clearly have great taste, so I'm sure that whatever you get for yourself will be a very fine choice.

---

Also, that Rolex is delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Gorgeous in its simplicity. I like the matte, textured dial and the shape of the hands; very classy and understated. Well done!
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess what irked me most is that if I came across a watch I knew he really really wanted, I would have told him about it and allowed him to take a first shot before buying it myself. It makes me feel like a fool that I treat my friends better than they treat me. This is a constant problem with this guy in particular.

Yeah, I'll find another watch or get over it and get the same one when I can.

Dependent

It makes me feel like a fool that I treat my friends better than they treat me. This is a constant problem with this guy in particular.
    Then the problem is not with you, is it?

I like the matte, textured dial and the shape of the hands; very classy and understated. Well done!
    It's actually not matte. It has a pearlescent kind of sheen at certain angles.

But I like its simplicity, too!

Dependent

It's actually not matte. It has a pearlescent kind of sheen at certain angles.

But I like its simplicity, too!
    Oooh, interesting!

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 LastLast