Code of Conduct
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1464
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Lets Talk Watches

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Then the problem is not with you, is it?
    Good advice.

Regarding these really cool Seikos like Brook's, I'm guessing you bought it online? Wouldn't it be great if there were brick and mortar Seiko boutiques in the US? Seems like we are stuck trying to get anything new mostly from online retailers like Hodinkee. They've opened Grand Seiko boutiques, why not Seiko?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Good advice.

Regarding these really cool Seikos like Brook's, I'm guessing you bought it online? Wouldn't it be great if there were brick and mortar Seiko boutiques in the US? Seems like we are stuck trying to get anything new mostly from online retailers like Hodinkee. They've opened Grand Seiko boutiques, why not Seiko?
    Are there none?

I got the Seiko Presage "baby Snowflake" through Jomashop (gray market). I've ordered from them before with no problems.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Are there none?
    There are many authorized dealers who are jewelers or watch sellers but I'm not aware of a Seiko boutique like there is a Grand Seiko boutique, for example. It would be great to be able to walk into a Seiko boutique and browse (and buy) some of the wide variety of great stuff they are putting out lately.

Dependent

There are many authorized dealers who are jewelers or watch sellers but I'm not aware of a Seiko boutique like there is a Grand Seiko boutique, for example. It would be great to be able to walk into a Seiko boutique and browse (and buy) some of the wide variety of great stuff they are putting out lately.
    I agree; it would be nice.

I just added this guy as my main watch for work and regular use. Its a solid build and is versatile to dress up will be enjoying this one quite a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by speckmann0706; 29th January 2021 at 05:28 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3me Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I just added these guys as my main watches for work and regular use. These are solid and I have been enjoying the 5600 square model it is versatile and a solid build. I just received the 6900 solar atomic one and can already tell this one will be another versatile watch looks excellent in person and is maintenance free and has a rock solid construction excited to have both of these.
    Enjoy and wear them in good health!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Enjoy and wear them in good health!
    Thanks!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3me Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

This 2020 Breitling is a good value proposition:
    - COSC chronometer modified top grade ETA
    - 300m water resist!, AR coating
    - A welcome Breitling attempt to clean dial, less bling, and smaller case in their new collections
    - $2500 on bracelet on grey market, got mine for $1800 like-new from a watch forum.
    - Lume is so-so not bad.. Spoiled by Seiko and Omega. Excusable since it is not a diver.

I put it on a Zulu today
    IMG_0234.jpg

Here's a vid (not me)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9weH...l=Watchonwrist

My humble timepiece: a Hamilton

20191017_222540.jpg20191017_190611.jpg

Pretty common 7753. If i'd have the money, i'd go for a Reverso.

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post

Very nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

That’s a really pretty watch.

- - - Updated - - -

My new Tissot. A new design thats purposely retro.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dependent

Looks great!

Looks great, I can always appreciate a nice Hamilton! I'm wearing my viewmatic today, runs about +1.5 sec/day and aesthetically, most of their models punch above their price point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My new Tissot. A new design that’s purposely retro.
    I've been eyeing these as they do have that sharp-looking retro look. I was reading that they'll be coming out with an automatic version sometime this summer or fall. May wait and see how the specs look with that model.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Looks great, I can always appreciate a nice Hamilton! I'm wearing my viewmatic today, runs about +1.5 sec/day and aesthetically, most of their models punch above their price point.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been eyeing these as they do have that sharp-looking retro look. I was reading that they'll be coming out with an automatic version sometime this summer or fall. May wait and see how the specs look with that model.
    This Tissot looks MUCH better in person. My wife and son have both complimented me on it. It has so much shine and bling from certain angles, which I happen to love. It actually wears smaller than 40MM...more like a 38mm. For $375? I'm chuffed.

This Tissot looks MUCH better in person. My wife and son have both complimented me on it. It has so much shine and bling from certain angles, which I happen to love. It actually wears smaller than 40MM...more like a 38mm. For $375? I'm chuffed.
    Lovely watch, wear it with enjoyment. Not surprising it shows up so nicely. I am a fan of Tissot design. Their tendency toward the minimalist is their calling card and the Tissot aesthetic is very recognizable in its rigorous simplicity.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Lovely watch, wear it with enjoyment. Not surprising it shows up so nicely. I am a fan of Tissot design. Their tendency toward the minimalist is their calling card and the Tissot aesthetic is very recognizable in its rigorous simplicity.
    Thanks! The retro design is a homerun with this model.

Thanks! The retro design is a homerun with this model.
    Yes it is. I have a couple of Tissots and they are actual vintage watches, one from about 1947 and one from 1970 and as well as looking good, they keep excellent time. Wearing one now.

I believe it, as they seem to have stepped things up recently in this area. Their gentleman series is similar in that regard, VERY sharp looking in person. Some of their heritage models have also really caught my eye recently. I think this PRX series will be a big hit for them.

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Their gentleman series is similar in that regard, VERY sharp looking in person. I think this PRX series will be a big hit for them.
    The Gentleman series watches are very nice. The PRX watches are selling briskly, with the first batch selling out on Tissot's website. I might get the silver faced one in the future as I already have the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    This 2020 Breitling is a good value proposition:
    - COSC chronometer modified top grade ETA
    - 300m water resist!, AR coating
    - A welcome Breitling attempt to clean dial, less bling, and smaller case in their new collections
    - $2500 on bracelet on grey market, got mine for $1800 like-new from a watch forum.
    IMG_0234.jpg
    With that brand heritage, sharp looks and the great specs, you definitely got a great deal on this! I've been looking at their 41mm Colt with a similar aesthetic to this and really like their silver/white and anthracite dial options. Recently saw a white dial one pop up on a watch forum for just under $1,500 and didn't jump on it fast enough. Been kicking myself for missing out on that one, lol.

Basenotes Plus

Nice to see some PRXs in the thread. I bought one to try it out and ended up gifting it to my brother because I felt it was just a bit big for my wrist (even though I have a large wrist - 7.25). For integrated bracelets, I prefer cases smaller than 40mm, with 36-38mm being ideal. I'd love to be able to afford a Girard Perregaux Laureato or an IWC Ingenieur in a similar size as a relatively affordable alternative to the APs and Pateks.

I recently made two purchases that made me quite happy. First, a Seiko SRQ-029 chronograph. It's a limited edition release in the vein of classic Seiko automatic chronographs like the 6139, except with a full 12 hour display. Some people find it too tall (16mm!!) but that includes a very tall box sapphire and because the watch case itself is very restrained, it wears really really nicely, especially on a fancy leather rally strap. Also, with Seiko you get a column wheel, vertical clutch movement, three pointed hammer and heart shaped cam. Unlike other modular chronographs, Seiko's movement has a separate vertical clutch for each of the second, minute and hour hands, which pretty much makes it the best modular chronograph you can buy. All this translates to a very smooth chronograph whose operation does not impact the main movement and resets like magic.

20210329_155917.jpg

The second is the Squale "No Radiobino". This watch has a very quirky backstory. Squale used to manufacture cases and parts for other dive watchmakers like Blancpain and Doxa in the 50s and 60s before launching their own watch brand. Many of the coveted vintage Blancpain divers from the 50s and 60s are actually housed in Squale-made cases, with some of them featuring a Squale logo or stamp. In any case, Squale apparently came across a small amount of new old stock ("NOS") Blancpain cases that had been stored somewhere and never used. Together with Amsterdam Watch Company, a well-respected Dutch vintage retailer, they released two 60 watch editions using the NOS Blancpain cases, bezels, crystals and crowns. One was a tribute to the standard Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, while this one was a tribute to Blancpain's much loved "No Radiations" watch. The case size is probably what differentiates these watches most from current divers - they are about 34.5mm wide. These days, that size would be considered a "women's" watch. The bezels are also different from today's: they don't "click" and are bi-directional. They are also made of "bakelite", which gives them a very very vintage look. These watches were a great alternative to the ~$20k Blancpain re-releases of similar watches. Unfortunately, only 60 of each were made, so they were not easy to get. When they are available on the secondary market, they go for about $3,500, compared to the $2,200 MSRP. Still a bargain if you ask me. Anyways, enjoy the pics:

20210407_203040.jpg

20210329_155917.jpg

Anyways, enjoy the pics:

20210407_203040.jpg
    Nice!

Nice to see some PRXs in the thread. I bought one to try it out and ended up gifting it to my brother because I felt it was just a bit big for my wrist (even though I have a large wrist - 7.25). For integrated bracelets, I prefer cases smaller than 40mm, with 36-38mm being ideal. I'd love to be able to afford a Girard Perregaux Laureato or an IWC Ingenieur in a similar size as a relatively affordable alternative to the APs and Pateks.

I recently made two purchases that made me quite happy. First, a Seiko SRQ-029 chronograph. It's a limited edition release in the vein of classic Seiko automatic chronographs like the 6139, except with a full 12 hour display. Some people find it too tall (16mm!!) but that includes a very tall box sapphire and because the watch case itself is very restrained, it wears really really nicely, especially on a fancy leather rally strap. Also, with Seiko you get a column wheel, vertical clutch movement, three pointed hammer and heart shaped cam. Unlike other modular chronographs, Seiko's movement has a separate vertical clutch for each of the second, minute and hour hands, which pretty much makes it the best modular chronograph you can buy. All this translates to a very smooth chronograph whose operation does not impact the main movement and resets like magic.

20210329_155917.jpg

The second is the Squale "No Radiobino". This watch has a very quirky backstory. Squale used to manufacture cases and parts for other dive watchmakers like Blancpain and Doxa in the 50s and 60s before launching their own watch brand. Many of the coveted vintage Blancpain divers from the 50s and 60s are actually housed in Squale-made cases, with some of them featuring a Squale logo or stamp. In any case, Squale apparently came across a small amount of new old stock ("NOS") Blancpain cases that had been stored somewhere and never used. Together with Amsterdam Watch Company, a well-respected Dutch vintage retailer, they released two 60 watch editions using the NOS Blancpain cases, bezels, crystals and crowns. One was a tribute to the standard Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, while this one was a tribute to Blancpain's much loved "No Radiations" watch. The case size is probably what differentiates these watches most from current divers - they are about 34.5mm wide. These days, that size would be considered a "women's" watch. The bezels are also different from today's: they don't "click" and are bi-directional. They are also made of "bakelite", which gives them a very very vintage look. These watches were a great alternative to the ~$20k Blancpain re-releases of similar watches. Unfortunately, only 60 of each were made, so they were not easy to get. When they are available on the secondary market, they go for about $3,500, compared to the $2,200 MSRP. Still a bargain if you ask me. Anyways, enjoy the pics:

20210407_203040.jpg

Very nice watches! Enjoy them in good health!

I got an unexpected windfall from my home refinance and used the funds to buy a gently used blue Omega Seamaster Chrono Model 2599.80.00

It was just authenticated and I hope to receive it this week. From the pics, it looks to be in near mint condition. I'll try to post some pics when I get it in.

Dependent

20210329_155917.jpg

20210407_203040.jpg
    Very nice!

My latest acquisition:

IMG_20210412_072646_738.jpg

Congrats, all, on the fine acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My latest acquisition:

Very attractive numeral design and dial finish. I like that style a lot and the fact that it’s a Seiko, dependable quality. Wear it happily! What is the Presage? Is it a series?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My latest acquisition:

Such a unique face! I love it!

I hope no one minds this thread being peppered with ladies’ watches from time to time. I wear men’s watches too. Lately in a thrift store I found this vintage Bucherer that I’ve been wearing. It’s running well. Designwise I’m guessing it could be from about the same era as ChuckW’s retro design Tissot.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    I hope no one minds this thread being peppered with ladies’ watches from time to time. I wear men’s watches too. Lately in a thrift store I found this vintage Bucherer that I’ve been wearing. It’s running well. Designwise I’m guessing it could be from about the same era as ChuckW’s retro design Tissot.

Very nice!

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 LastLast