Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Comparing Two Green Giants - No19 & Vent Vert?

Hi folks!

I'm a big fan of Chanel No19, typically enjoying the EDT but occasionally using the parfum for a more luxurious experience. The two are completely different for me, with the EDT being sharper, brighter, almost vibrant. The parfum is much warmer, mellow, and "full".

Now I find myself very much tempted by Balmain Vent Vert, in vintage form. From what I gather, the current release of Vent Vert is something I can pass on without missing a whole lot. But it's not like the vintage version is easy to come by and test! I like the greenness from No19, and I enjoy three of Cellier's other creations: Bandit, Fracas and Jolie Madame.

How does Vent Vert compare against No19? Is VV unique enough that it bears hunting down vintage VV EDT? And if anyone's tried vintage VV in extrait form, how does it compare against No19?
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Default Re: Comparing Two Green Giants - No19 & Vent Vert?

I'm sure vintage Vent Vert is worth hunting down. I disliked the new version.
    For reference, I am a big fan of Chanel No. 19 EDT. The parfum and EDP are glorious, too, but more focused on the rose and leather. I gravitate toward No. 19 EDT because I am crazy about galbanum and iris.

You may want to try Chanel's Bel Respiro. I have read that it is closest to the original Vent Vert.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your replies - I'll have to keep my eye out for a good deal on Vent Vert *and* Bel Respiro now
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Off to compare VV original (parfum) and Bel Respiro!

You must try vintage Vent Vert, if you can.

I love both of these scents (I favour No. 19 in the EdP concentration). To my mind, VV stands apart from No. 19 in that it is less floral and eschews the leather note. In fact, it is just fabulous, sappy, grassy, chlorophyll GREEN. It's something else.

Do try it.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post

I love both of these scents (I favour No. 19 in the EdP concentration). To my mind, VV stands apart from No. 19 in that it is less floral and eschews the leather note. In fact, it is just fabulous, sappy, grassy, chlorophyll GREEN. It's something else.

Do try it.
    Well said. This mirrors my experience, and I agree.
    As a guy, I admire No.19 but wouldn't wear it. But I love vintage VV.
    I hope a true VV expert, 3xasif, gives her take on the issue.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I like No. 19, but it does not last on my skin, personally. Very nice leather note, though.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

"Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."

In my opinion, Chanel No 19 shares more with Annick Goutal Heure Exquise than Vent Vert.

No 19 & HE share the orris, rose and sandalwood notes, with Heure Exquise being slightly warmer and more approachable than No 19 to me.

Here is an interesting thread on Vent Vert. Many will say everything but the Vintage Vent Vert is awful but I suggest trying the 2nd formulation, which is actually my favourite version. When I tried Bel Respiro I was amazed at the similarity to the 2nd formula Vent Vert. Love it. There is a "skank" factor to the Vintage Vent Vert that is mos def not in Bel Respiro, which is anything but skanky.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=234706

I think the 3rd formulation of Vent Vert (with the perilous polka dots) has given ANY reformulation of VV a bad name, when it's simply not the case.

If you are a Cellier fan, then you must try the Vintage Vent Vert which is still pretty easy to track down on the 'bay. Its her signature WOW with 1000 notes, def worth a sniff
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I think we need a new abbreviation: VVV!

I wonder if Dawn Spencer Hurwitz would like to try to match it, as I think she's done with Deneuve.

EllenWF

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post

Do try it.

Good, now that 3x has weighed in, I can add my further 2 cents. To my "guy nose" the Vintage is the best of the various versions. I love the galbanum blast, the so-called skank is actually a powerful laser beam of green greatness for me!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Good, now that 3x has weighed in, I can add my further 2 cents. To my "guy nose" the Vintage is the best of the various versions. I love the galbanum blast, the so-called skank is actually a powerful laser beam of green greatness for me!
    I agree! Laser Beam is a great description. The magic of Cellier

As much as I respect DSH, I find her scents lack the sophistication of either Germaine Cellier or Calice Becker. Get the Balmains vintage and otherwise. They are easily available online.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

Galbanum again.... I will have to try Vent Verte.I'm really into green lately too .So I guess I should try both vintage and modern versions.
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

I'm with purplebird7 ~ tried the newer Vent Vert - YUCK! Perhaps the vintage formulation is the one everybody swoons for...so, by default, I have to say #19 is WAY better! I'm more interested in hearing how the newer green Cristalle measures up!

I tried a sample of vintage Vent Vert parfum from the Perfumed Court, and I definitely want some now. It's much darker than No. 19, with a little bit of an ominous air. If No. 19 is the outer edges of the forest in sunlight, with flowers growing among the trees, then Vent Vert is the core of the forest at twilight, with more moss than flowers, and there's just the faintest hint that there might be dangerous animals somewhere.

The new one, as far as I can recall, is just a purdy powdery green scent, less daring than the new Miyake A Scent, and I certainly wouldn't call A Scent daring.

Crayfish

Edited to clarify: "the new one" that I tried was the EDT strength. I can't speak to the current parfum or EDP, assuming that they exist.
    Last edited by Crayfish; 16th September 2009 at 05:03 PM.

echerub,

If you can reasonably obtain the vintage parfum in Vent Vert, do it. You won't regret it, and in addition to the pleasure it will bring you, it will add to your understanding of what the perfume world (and the cultural world in general) has lost as time marches on.

I was a big-time wearer of Chanel 19, mostly in the edt form. Went through a small parfum, as well. #19 was one of the fragrances that really brought home to me, at a young age, what "chic" is all about - something I'm still constantly learning, too! I wore Vent Vert somewhat less, but the vintage version is what I am most familiar with - the first time I smelled the reformatted version, I essentially turned my back on it.

Vintage Vent Vert brings to mind a trio of p-words to me: primal, primeval, pagan. If there is a deity of green, this is it. I'm sure just about everyone has a memory of a perfect spring meadow - one they walked through or perhaps just glimpsed from the window of a train or auto. Well, every lovely place in nature has its patron spirit (or so is my belief). If you ever met the goddess of that meadow, this is the aroma she would emanate.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 16th September 2009 at 07:29 PM.

No. 19 feels more organic with its dwindling doses of orris and oakmoss. While original Vent Vert creator Germaine Cellier notoriously used bases (much to the horror of her contemporaries), which accounted for complex and chemically-smelling perfumes. The result was something urban and shocking, while No. 19 accomplishes a similar feat, but it's very modern in its insistence on a more "natural" effect. Both are otherworldly, but No. 19 is more composed, introspective and austere, while Vent Vert (1947) is raucous, original and even less accessible. The latter was the first green floral with the contrast its creator was famous for. No. 19 is the essence of an 80-year-old Gabrielle Chanel.

Reviving a VERY old thread...Hooray HOORAY, it's the 1st of May!!! So I thought I would do a side-by-side green comparison of vintage Vent Vert Parfum and vintage No.19 Parfum. Perhaps I'm too biased for such a comparison, I've been wearing various versions of No.19 in all of it's iterations for decades. It was my Holy Grail signature scent for a very long time.

Vent Vert is lovely and I ADORE the dry mossy green galbanum! I surely do appreciate it's bitter austerity. It's possible that my Parfum has lost some notes as I can only pick out the slightest bit of hyacinth and some citrus. I keep waiting for something else to unfold....leather, smoke, a bit of flowers, anything! But no, it's quite linear on me. Even so, it is ABSOLUTELY dry green goodness done right.

I should give Vintage Vent Vert Parfum a separate wearing away form my beloved No.19.

Funny I was looking for some vintage a few days ago.

If I remember well the vintage Vent Vert remains green while Chanel 19 Edt moves into a different territory past the initial galbanum blast. I love vintage chanel in edt. Edp less so, a bit too much iris. I regret never buying any Vent Vert before it was discontinued.
    Currently wearing: Classic Chypre by Esteban

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    In my opinion, Chanel No 19 shares more with Annick Goutal Heure Exquise than Vent Vert.

No 19 & HE share the orris, rose and sandalwood notes, with Heure Exquise being slightly warmer and more approachable than No 19 to me.
    I've always thought this, L'Heure Exquise is a friendlier No. 19!

Liking both very much, slightly preferring and likelier to recommend No. 19 in any concentration and/or vintage
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Vintage Vent Vert brings to mind a trio of p-words to me: primal, primeval, pagan. If there is a deity of green, this is it. I'm sure just about everyone has a memory of a perfect spring meadow - one they walked through or perhaps just glimpsed from the window of a train or auto. Well, every lovely place in nature has its patron spirit (or so is my belief). If you ever met the goddess of that meadow, this is the aroma she would emanate.
    I miss Vent Vert.