Code of Conduct
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Results 421 to 447 of 447
  1. #421
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    It's the notorious "rough" opening in my opinion, but it could also be on the turn.
    I've never thought the opening was rough, so it might be the age....maybe that particular batch was iffy.....
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  2. #422

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I've never thought the opening was rough, so it might be the age....maybe that particular batch was iffy.....
    I remember when Kors first came out - some people complained that the opening was too intense and made them cough. Some people said it was like pure gasoline.

    Of course others like myself thought that was a positive - not a negative for what was supposed to be a masculine fragrance.

  3. #423
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I remember when Kors first came out - some people complained that the opening was too intense and made them cough. Some people said it was like pure gasoline.

    Of course others like myself thought that was a positive - not a negative for what was supposed to be a masculine fragrance.
    With this bottle I just bought, I can see what you mean. But all of my 1 oz. and my previous 4 oz. bottle didn't have that.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  4. #424

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    With this bottle I just bought, I can see what you mean. But all of my 1 oz. and my previous 4 oz. bottle didn't have that.
    If it seems like a sort of gasoline smell intensity now that I I have mentioned it over something that just smells off or that fragrance may have gone bad - then you probably have the good stuff. It didn't last long then either. Just an blast in the opening that some men couldn't handle.

  5. #425

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    I have fond memories of this one but don't remember a lot of specifics about it.

    All the chatter tempts me to try it again.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

  6. #426
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I have fond memories of this one but don't remember a lot of specifics about it.

    All the chatter tempts me to try it again.
    The 4oz bottles are easy to find and the 1 oz bottles are even more abundant.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  7. #427
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    So I have a bottle of splash on after shave as well as several bottles of the spray EDT. The after shave is a little bit darker in color than my spray bottles and it also has a slightly more pungent opening. Drydowns are the same. Anyone have any bottles with the color difference? Just speaking strictly about the 'Michael' bottles.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  8. #428

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    I remember buying this one when it first came out. GQ ran an article on it and I had to have it.

  9. #429
    Basenotes Plus
    slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,989
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    So I have a bottle of splash on after shave as well as several bottles of the spray EDT. The after shave is a little bit darker in color than my spray bottles and it also has a slightly more pungent opening. Drydowns are the same. Anyone have any bottles with the color difference? Just speaking strictly about the 'Michael' bottles.
    I assume any colour difference is just degradation. Surprised to see that the aftershave is so similar though. How's the performance haha!?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  10. #430
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I assume any colour difference is just degradation. Surprised to see that the aftershave is so similar though. How's the performance haha!?
    Michael for Men is by far the strongest aftershave splash I have. Easily lasts 4 hours and you can smell it on your clothes the next day too.

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  11. #431
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I assume any colour difference is just degradation. Surprised to see that the aftershave is so similar though. How's the performance haha!?
    I've only worn the after shave once but it seemed to have lasted all day.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  12. #432
    Basenotes Plus
    slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,989
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Wow, I'm impressed.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  13. #433
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed.
    Being a splash on, I admit I did go a little overboard. I bit more pouring out than I wanted.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  14. #434
    Basenotes Plus
    slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,989
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Wearing Kors this evening and really enjoying it.

    I feel like it's a fragrance that is really well suited to periodic, infrequent wear. Coming back to it with a fresh nose really helps one appreciate the fragrance so much more - I definitely think I've been guilty of 'overwearing' the fragrance.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  15. #435

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Wearing Kors this evening and really enjoying it.

    I feel like it's a fragrance that is really well suited to periodic, infrequent wear. Coming back to it with a fresh nose really helps one appreciate the fragrance so much more - I definitely think I've been guilty of 'overwearing' the fragrance.
    It should be a legendary and timeless fragrance that men are wearing for decades to come. That essential men's fragrance that every young person hears about and wants to try because they think it will make them smell like a classy and sophisticated man. Or Drakkar Noir back in my day.

    I think Kors totally dropped the ball on this. They had greatness on their hands and they kind of blew it.

  16. #436
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    I wonder if Harry Fremont ever did anything similar to this for another house. None that I'm aware of anyway.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  17. #437
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I wonder if Harry Fremont ever did anything similar to this for another house. None that I'm aware of anyway.
    Nothing similar that I could find either. He did the current 2014 re-issue of this one for Michael Kors, but we already know that it’s a completely different fragrance. Stock your vintage backups!

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  18. #438
    Basenotes Plus
    slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,989
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    It should be a legendary and timeless fragrance that men are wearing for decades to come. That essential men's fragrance that every young person hears about and wants to try because they think it will make them smell like a classy and sophisticated man. Or Drakkar Noir back in my day.

    I think Kors totally dropped the ball on this. They had greatness on their hands and they kind of blew it.
    I feel it sort of does have a cult following who think that, in a way, no?

    Personally, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's exceptional. I think it's unique - I asked for fragrances that were similar and, as far as I can tell, nothing even comes close, either from the 90s or subsequently; the closest is still the original formulation of Tobacco Vanille, as Tom Ford is clearly a fan of Kors - but it has its flaws. And those flaws are what made me pull back from really, truly loving it, and deeming it 'the one' dark-ish/cold weather masculine fragrance I am/was searching for.

    Wearing it last night made me basically go through the process again: the rough, loud, dated opening, giving way to this lovely, opulent, warm, rich, wearable oriental fragrance. Yet it feels quite synthetic and loud, without ever settling in to a lovely skin scent. By the time it does, or ought to, around the 2-3 hour mark, it's basically disappearing. It's done after 4 hours.

    That lack of a 'true' base is what kills it, among other things. I think the central heart of the fragrance is genius. It's lovely, even if synthetic and brash. That has its charms as well - think of Tom Ford fragrances, or Gucci Rush. Brash and synthetic can still translate to an enjoyable fragrance. But it just needs something to dry down to - some kind of solid, longlasting base which, clearly, they also failed to achieve in the Michael Kors remake, as that has an even sadder and non-descript drydown.

    It's an important note in the fragrance world and a sign of how good masculine fragrances can be. But I don't think it's quite stood the test of time - or some other phrase that sums up the above, I don't know. I presume any attempt to recreate it today would just go overboard with a sugary vanillic sweetness in the base, which would destroy the balance between dark and masculine and sweet and feminine-friendly that Kors exudes.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  19. #439
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I feel it sort of does have a cult following who think that, in a way, no?

    Personally, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's exceptional. I think it's unique - I asked for fragrances that were similar and, as far as I can tell, nothing even comes close, either from the 90s or subsequently; the closest is still the original formulation of Tobacco Vanille, as Tom Ford is clearly a fan of Kors - but it has its flaws. And those flaws are what made me pull back from really, truly loving it, and deeming it 'the one' dark-ish/cold weather masculine fragrance I am/was searching for.

    Wearing it last night made me basically go through the process again: the rough, loud, dated opening, giving way to this lovely, opulent, warm, rich, wearable oriental fragrance. Yet it feels quite synthetic and loud, without ever settling in to a lovely skin scent. By the time it does, or ought to, around the 2-3 hour mark, it's basically disappearing. It's done after 4 hours.

    That lack of a 'true' base is what kills it, among other things. I think the central heart of the fragrance is genius. It's lovely, even if synthetic and brash. That has its charms as well - think of Tom Ford fragrances, or Gucci Rush. Brash and synthetic can still translate to an enjoyable fragrance. But it just needs something to dry down to - some kind of solid, longlasting base which, clearly, they also failed to achieve in the Michael Kors remake, as that has an even sadder and non-descript drydown.

    It's an important note in the fragrance world and a sign of how good masculine fragrances can be. But I don't think it's quite stood the test of time - or some other phrase that sums up the above, I don't know. I presume any attempt to recreate it today would just go overboard with a sugary vanillic sweetness in the base, which would destroy the balance between dark and masculine and sweet and feminine-friendly that Kors exudes.
    I would say, yes, it does seem to have a bit of a following in the fraghead community which is cool. I never did get the TV connection, other than both having tobacco in their pyramid. The tobacco in TV is much more ashy to me, where the tobacco here is more of a honeyed pipe tobacco. Although, that could be the blending with the plum as well. Tobacco frags of this sort that are only marketed to men do seem to have gone extinct, but that's the nature of a business that ebbs and flows heavily on consumer trends. I've had people ask me if I smoke cigars while wearing this out. Who shopping at Sephora today wants to smell like a cigar? I'm guessing it's close to no one.

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  20. #440

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    I've been revisiting 18.21 Man Made Sweet Tobacco, and while the opening is quite different from Michael for Men, I do think the drydown enters Kors territory: honeyed fruit tones and suede. And there's something fusty about 18.21 that distinguishes it from many of the approachably sweet takes on this theme and anchors it back to Kors, even if it owes some things to Pure Havane as well.

    There's a notable saltiness to Michael for Men, an almost briny touch, that really helps balance out the sweeter tones. That's one thing that distinguishes it from the sweet tobaccos that followed it.

  21. #441
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    While I agree Michael has poor longevity, a lack of a true base doesn't seem right. I agree that it may feel synthetic but I don't think it's rough, nor particularly loud or dated. It's unique for me and nothing is currently similar but it doesn't feel old or from a bygone era.
    If a scent was made today that smelled like this, though, I wouldn't expect it to be from a designer. But hey Gucci surprised us all three years ago, right, so who knows?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  22. #442

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I feel it sort of does have a cult following who think that, in a way, no?

    Personally, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's exceptional. I think it's unique - I asked for fragrances that were similar and, as far as I can tell, nothing even comes close, either from the 90s or subsequently; the closest is still the original formulation of Tobacco Vanille, as Tom Ford is clearly a fan of Kors - but it has its flaws. And those flaws are what made me pull back from really, truly loving it, and deeming it 'the one' dark-ish/cold weather masculine fragrance I am/was searching for.

    Wearing it last night made me basically go through the process again: the rough, loud, dated opening, giving way to this lovely, opulent, warm, rich, wearable oriental fragrance. Yet it feels quite synthetic and loud, without ever settling in to a lovely skin scent. By the time it does, or ought to, around the 2-3 hour mark, it's basically disappearing. It's done after 4 hours.

    That lack of a 'true' base is what kills it, among other things. I think the central heart of the fragrance is genius. It's lovely, even if synthetic and brash. That has its charms as well - think of Tom Ford fragrances, or Gucci Rush. Brash and synthetic can still translate to an enjoyable fragrance. But it just needs something to dry down to - some kind of solid, longlasting base which, clearly, they also failed to achieve in the Michael Kors remake, as that has an even sadder and non-descript drydown.

    It's an important note in the fragrance world and a sign of how good masculine fragrances can be. But I don't think it's quite stood the test of time - or some other phrase that sums up the above, I don't know. I presume any attempt to recreate it today would just go overboard with a sugary vanillic sweetness in the base, which would destroy the balance between dark and masculine and sweet and feminine-friendly that Kors exudes.
    I think it is exceptional and one of greatest tobacco fragrances ever created - not to mention just a brilliant men's fragrance in general. I think it is essential for any fragrance enthusiast's collection if it wasn't discontinued.

    Of course there is a cult following, but it is pretty negligible in the real world. I wish there was an online buzz or that was Kors was trending to the point that they relaunch it to take advantage of the hype like a company bringing back a cereal or soft drink because of social media hype, but that is not happening.

    It would take balls for a company to come out with a fragrance like Kors today, but yes - it would be drenched in vanilla or sweetness or just too safe. If only they listened to people like us who are actually passionate about tobacco fragrances. It would be nice to have something new with a Sandor/Kors vibe.

    I was hoping Tobacolor was going to be something like that - old school and intense, but nope - another drenched in sweet tobacco fragrance.

  23. #443

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I've been revisiting 18.21 Man Made Sweet Tobacco, and while the opening is quite different from Michael for Men, I do think the drydown enters Kors territory: honeyed fruit tones and suede. And there's something fusty about 18.21 that distinguishes it from many of the approachably sweet takes on this theme and anchors it back to Kors, even if it owes some things to Pure Havane as well.

    There's a notable saltiness to Michael for Men, an almost briny touch, that really helps balance out the sweeter tones. That's one thing that distinguishes it from the sweet tobaccos that followed it.
    I found 18.21 to be WAY too sweet. I don't mind a little sweetness, but this was unbearable. I could have sworn you had it very low on your ranking, but maybe not.

  24. #444

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I found 18.21 to be WAY too sweet. I don't mind a little sweetness, but this was unbearable. I could have sworn you had it very low on your ranking, but maybe not.
    The top is very aggressive and very sweet, like a stickier, darker Tobacco Vanille. It mellows out once you get to the drydown and it's more of a dried fruit-leather-tonka thing.

    I didn't like it much when I first tried it--I found it kinda revolting--but came back to it because there's a uniquely funky core accord that I find interesting.

    Michael for Men is definitely better than it, but in the same way Michael for Men nodded back to powerhouse-y virility, there's a bit of mustiness to 18.21 that separates itself from the more youthful takes on the sweet tobacco theme.

  25. #445

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    The top is very aggressive and very sweet, like a stickier, darker Tobacco Vanille. It mellows out once you get to the drydown and it's more of a dried fruit-leather-tonka thing.

    I didn't like it much when I first tried it--I found it kinda revolting--but came back to it because there's a uniquely funky core accord that I find interesting.

    Michael for Men is definitely better than it, but in the same way Michael for Men nodded back to powerhouse-y virility, there's a bit of mustiness to 18.21 that separates itself from the more youthful takes on the sweet tobacco theme.
    I can sort of agree there.

    I have used their hair products which have the same scent as the fragrance that I also had and they are aiming for some kind of old school vibe with their prohibition branding vs. a modern sweet tobacco fragrance, but I think they miss the mark of a retro fragrance because of the intense sweetness.

    It probably would be a very good fragrance if they reformulated it and dialed down the sweetness big time.

  26. #446

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I can sort of agree there.

    I have used their hair products which have the same scent as the fragrance that I also had and they are aiming for some kind of old school vibe with their prohibition branding vs. a modern sweet tobacco fragrance, but I think they miss the mark of a retro fragrance because of the intense sweetness.

    It probably would be a very good fragrance if they reformulated it and dialed down the sweetness big time.
    It comes off as less sweet in body wash/hair putty form.

    I don't think it's trying to be a true retro fragrance, it's just reworking the Chergui/Tobacco Vanille/Pure Havane style around a bit of a manly man accord.

  27. #447

    Default Re: Michael For Men by Michael Kors - Does anyone still wear this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It comes off as less sweet in body wash/hair putty form.

    I don't think it's trying to be a true retro fragrance, it's just reworking the Chergui/Tobacco Vanille/Pure Havane style around a bit of a manly man accord.
    Fair enough, but when I first discovered them - I got the impression from the branding that they were going for a real retro manly vibe. I mean I would think that you don't spend all this money on retro packaging with a prohibition theme, only to have your signature scent that has more in common with Spicebomb over anything retro or something that could possibly represent the prohibition era.

    I guess I was just expecting something completely different.

    I mean if I saw a company come out with a new line that was very 70's retro looking with the packaging and marketing - it better be a powerhouse fragrance that could have come from the 70's over some modern day trendy bullshit.

    That's what I think anyway. Perhaps I just have different expectations.




Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Similar Threads

  1. Michael for Man (Michael Kors)
    By suncheese in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 4th November 2005, 03:38 PM
  2. Scent Longevity Michael Kors & L'Instant
    By BlueOcean in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st November 2005, 12:02 AM
  3. Michael Kors
    By Informer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21st August 2005, 12:32 AM
  4. Island Michael Kors @ sephora.com
    By mariusg82 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th June 2005, 08:31 PM
  5. New: Micheal Kors Island.
    By cedriceccentric in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 7th December 2004, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000