Code of Conduct

Thread: Cypress

Default Cypress

Can you help me find a fragrance with longevity and sillage where Cypress is a principal player?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Cypress

Tom Ford Italian Cypress instantly springs to mind.
    It is one of the best of the private blends IMO.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

That's really expensive!

Well, yes... but you asked for cypress recommendations and never specified pricepoint.

Here's a thought. Try the Basenotes directory. You can enter specific notes in the field and perform a search that will yield all scents in the directory that focus on cypress.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th February 2010 at 09:28 PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

Ditto on Tom Ford's Italian Cypress. The longevity is excellent as well as the scent. Sometimes fragrances are worth paying for......
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

Basenotes Plus

Cypres-Musc by Creed. Fantastic and IMO even better than the Tom Ford. It smells like a tree branch, snapped in half - exposed, raw, wet wood. Also try Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - a much more affordable (and also slightly more synthetic) option - sort of like a cypress infused fougere.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Cypres-Musc by Creed. Fantastic and IMO even better than the Tom Ford. It smells like a tree branch, snapped in half - exposed, raw, wet wood.
    +1 on Cypres-Musc. Occasionally tester bottles show up that are more affordable than retail flacons.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 19th February 2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Although not perhaps the principal player, Wazamba by ParumsD'Empire has cypress as one of the notes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Cypres-Musc by Creed. Fantastic and IMO even better than the Tom Ford. It smells like a tree branch, snapped in half - exposed, raw, wet wood. Also try Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - a much more affordable (and also slightly more synthetic) option - sort of like a cypress infused fougere.
    I also Love Cipresso from Acqua di Parma's Blu Med. Collection.....Gary

For inexpensive, try L'Occitane's EDT Eau des Baux. About $40 USD for a 100 ml bottle.

A nice cypress with a beautiful incense bottom layer.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th February 2010 at 02:23 AM.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

"Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."

The major players in this field have been named: Cypres-Musc, Tuscan Cypress, and TM Italian Cypress (the last one I haven't tried). The first two are great.
    For an inexpensive cypress "experience" you might try Demeter cypress. I love cypress and amazed at how dry the Demeter is -- but I don't find it to be an attractive scent to wear.
    Please check out the Conehead social group here on Basenotes, which has a cypress thread.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm intrigued by cypress as a note, but I've yet to find a form I really enjoy it in. Cypres-Musc is very good in a chaste, clean, powdery-musk way, but it's not my thing; too reserved. Tom Ford's simply didn't smell very cypress-heavy to me; it smelled more like a light, greenish cedar to my nose. I've yet to try the AdP.

I second all frags previously mentioned, especially ADP Cipresso di Toscana, and would also like to add Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 20th February 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Encre Noire claims cypress as the wood beneath oodles of vetiver. I'm not sure it's entirely discernible though. Does cypress smell like cedar? Because I do get that in EN underneath smokey, earthy vetiver(s).
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Encre Noire claims cypress as the wood beneath oodles of vetiver. I'm not sure it's entirely discernible though. Does cypress smell like cedar? Because I do get that in EN underneath smokey, earthy vetiver(s).
    Cypress does not smell like cedar at all to me. If I had to describe the smell of cypress, it's a warm, coniferous, sharp, slightly olive oil-like type of smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    ...If I had to describe the smell of cypress, it's a warm, coniferous, sharp, slightly olive oil-like type of smell.
    That is very good, I like that. Perhaps it is romantic of me, but I like to think that cypress should have a resinous, slightly introspective note -- green and a bit melancholy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

That sounds nice... I'll search this out more. Thanks.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Sometimes it is helpful to rule out certain options. Stephan was looking for something with sillage.
    Today I'm trying a new scent for me, Cypress Yuzu by Zen for Men (Enchanted Meadow). It is a nice scent, certainly in the budget category. Yuzu is a citrus fruit, and this has white grapefruit notes which are pretty good. The other note is a green woody scent, something like bamboo shoots perhaps. This does NOT have any sillage, sitting close to the skin. It is a refreshing summer splash. Not bad for a budget frag.
    odysseusm

Thank you all for your suggestions!
    I've just bought l'Eau des Baux.
    It's a little too vanilla sweet, but still nice.
    I've also bought the deodorant stick and the shower gel.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Look no further than Jack Black Signature - Silver Mark

This is a manly, long-lasting EDP, and you enjoy the cypress all the way. I really love this. Plus, TF Italian Cypress does not hold a candle to this juice, or do much better than Halston Z-14 (TF hype aside)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For inexpensive, try L'Occitane's EDT Eau des Baux. About $40 USD for a 100 ml bottle.

A nice cypress with a beautiful incense bottom layer.
    Totally agree with the recommendation of Eau des Baux. It's affordable and is one of those that smells more expensive than the price you pay for.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto
    Currently wearing: Desire Silver by Dunhill

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Look no further than Jack Black Signature - Silver Mark

This is a manly, long-lasting EDP, and you enjoy the cypress all the way. I really love this. Plus, TF Italian Cypress does not hold a candle to this juice, or do much better than Halston Z-14 (TF hype aside)
    Color me intrigued! I think I must try this one.