Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: DIY Suppliers List ------Editing in progress 12/2013

Hermitage I believe is fine . I get their newsletter and anyone who it that thorough with details is fine good.

Hi Tsveto93, try olfatorium which is based in Spain, good stuff. Hermitage is good too. I found Nature in bottle in India, excellent materials but you have to pay customs, even paying that money is very good quality-price.

Quote Originally Posted by kjarr View Post
    I found Nature in bottle in India, excellent materials but you have to pay customs, even paying that money is very good quality-price.
    Obviously fake products simply from the prices.

Example, a kilo of genuine Vanilla Absolute cannot be only $223. That is beyond absurd. A kilo of genuine Tuberose Absolute will not be a mere $365.

Etc, etc.

Dependent

Small quantities of materials hard to find elsewhere in EU: Perfumiarz. The site is in Polish but the product names in English so there is no great need to use a translator.

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    Small quantities of materials hard to find elsewhere in EU: Perfumiarz. The site is in Polish but the product names in English so there is no great need to use a translator.
    I ordered a couple of times from her, good quality.

For Europe, US, Canada, etc., you can also try this: https://www.elemental.eu/en/
    Many EOs, some absolutes, extracts, and other cosmetic ingredients.
    You can buy perfume bottles too.

Quote Originally Posted by sorance View Post
    For Europe, US, Canada, etc., you can also try this: https://www.elemental.eu/en/
    Thanks for that link, however the very low prices for absolutes make me skeptical, have you ordered there?

Looking quickly I didn't see any suspiciously low prices. Which did you spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Looking quickly I didn't see any suspiciously low prices. Which did you spot?
    Frangipani absolute may be an example (9.13 € for 1g)
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

In their checkout, i didn't see US as a shipping option. Are you sure they ship to United States?

In their shipping policy page they say they do...but once you get to checkout, the US is not an option.
    ...bathing in perfumes...
    ► Follow my perfumery journey on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by apolo085 View Post
    Frangipani absolute may be an example (9.13 € for 1g)
    Well, that's three times cheaper than John Steele, but that's not inherently impossible.

It's also a lot less than Hermitage and same thing there.

Vielle sells it in bulk so that would be a true test if we knew that price, but I don't.

There are other suppliers at similar price but I don't know anything about them so that says nothing really.

Well, that's three times cheaper than John Steele, but that's not inherently impossible.

It's also a lot less than Hermitage and same thing there.

Vielle sells it in bulk so that would be a true test if we knew that price, but I don't.

There are other suppliers at similar price but I don't know anything about them so that says nothing really.
    Despite this, I do have a Frangipani absolute that I bought directly from the distiller in India.
    It is liquid... clear yellowish color, no stickiness...
    I did not test any Frangipani absolute except for the one I have, but from what I can read, this and the one from hermitage are sticky and have almost resinous texture.
    It is confusing.. any thoughts on this Bill?
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

The frangipani abs I got from liberty naturals is a very solid thick paste, you have to spoon it out with a metal knife. Once diluted down, it's freaking lovely

Interesting and confusing enough, the Frangipani Absolute offered by perfumerworld is described as "Dark brown liquid".
    https://www.perfumersworld.com/view.php?pro_id=8ON00534

May be the one I got is coming from one of Kanauj's special extraction like "Ruh Jasmin / motia" for example ?

I had forgotten that Liberty Naturals has it (I have missed ever buying it.) The price is similar so it looks as if the above seller is not implausibly cheap.

Apolo, not much thoughts except that after solvent extraction, one has a choice of how much alcohol to dissolve the concrete into or get as much as will dissolve, and hypothetically one might make a choice on temperature as well. So one Absolute doesn't have to have as much poorly soluble material such as waxes as another.

But if truly thin, just downright watery as with at least one "Absolute" from one US retailer, that would be cause for suspicion.

The materials causing high viscosity of true Absolutes are not commercially available for the most part so far as I know, so that aspect can't readily be undetectably faked.

Thanks Bill.
    As I am far from my home country, I can only speak using my memory, the scent profile of the Frangipani abs I have was really nice, creamy, full of Plumeria blooming, peachy, narcotic, no waxy nor off, harsh, woody notes, nor synthetic feeling, almost like an EO if this can exist.
    The viscosity and power are reminding me of Ylang Ylang abs from Hermitageoils.

Yes. So far: tobacco absolute, labdanum absolute, benzoin siam absolute. Very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post
    In their checkout, i didn't see US as a shipping option. Are you sure they ship to United States?

In their shipping policy page they say they do...but once you get to checkout, the US is not an option.
    Yes. They do: https://www.elemental.eu/en/info/4-shipping-delivery > Click on Non-European Countries

Yes. They do: https://www.elemental.eu/en/info/4-shipping-delivery > Click on Non-European Countries
    So have you successfully added stuff to cart, and checked out using your US address on thier website? Cause I can't seem to do it.

When you get to the shipping address section of checkout, ...US is not an option in their drop down of 'select a country'
    Last edited by Bkkorn; 11th June 2021 at 07:08 PM.

Yes. So far: tobacco absolute, labdanum absolute, benzoin siam absolute. Very good stuff.
    Have you tested their siam benzoin absolute? how would you compare it to some from other suppliers? It is really rare to find a good quality theses days...
    I would love to try the apothecarysgarden stuff, but they lose me on the astrodynamics and weird ideas they love to spread...

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    Seems amazing... will test this supplier for sure.
    Thanks for sharing.

Have you tested their siam benzoin absolute? how would you compare it to some from other suppliers? It is really rare to find a good quality theses days...
    I would love to try the apothecarysgarden stuff, but they lose me on the astrodynamics and weird ideas they love to spread...
    I bought Benzoin Siam only from them, so I cannot tell you by comparison, but I like it a lot. But I can't tell you that all their stuff is perfect, there are some I didn't like so far: black pepper (not dissolving well in ethanol; so I decided to tincture it and it was a success), cardamom (a fishy note on its smelling start, I didn't like it; so I decided to tincture it and it was a success), patchouli (too earthy and musty for my taste).

I am from Romania so I don't know what is going on when one tries to buy from the US. Try to write them and ask them everything you are interested in. Maybe it is a bug in their interface.

I bought Benzoin Siam only from them, so I cannot tell you by comparison, but I like it a lot. But I can't tell you that all their stuff is perfect, there are some I didn't like so far: black pepper (not dissolving well in ethanol; so I decided to tincture it and it was a success), cardamom (a fishy note on its smelling start, I didn't like it; so I decided to tincture it and it was a success), patchouli (too earthy and musty for my taste).
    Thanks for your feedback

I understand your point. Another view though is that people having these mystical ideas about their materials founded really in their purity and authenticity may be less likely to sell fakes than the sort of outfit that views their items such as to cause them to say such as,

"I couldn't agree more regarding the [redacted], it is pretty disappointing for a 'natural,' but for those customers requiring a 'natural' [redacted] that is not at the price point of the real thing - this does fill a need if the customer is willing to compromise the quality. Oddly enough, this is a popular ingredient. To each their own."

Which they still sell as genuine while clearly knowing it's not and also that it is deficient in quality. My trust level in them = 0 at this point. As a prime example of caring more about dollars than about authenticity.

I don't agree there are mystical qualities to things being authentic and pure but if the seller deeply does, that can only help me, compared to the above attitude re quality and authenticity.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 12th June 2021 at 02:45 PM.

I understand your point. Another view though is that people having these mystical ideas about their materials founded really in their purity and authenticity...
    It is for the exact opposite reason that I avoid superstitious sellers.
    Based on their beliefs, they can adulterate any material they produce, (radiation, ionisation, traces of whatever holy substances...).
    A weirdo cook can spit in your plate to put his holy signature or express something in his mind... I believe weirdo distiller may have some of these actions...
    To resume, I cannot trust these people, and will completely avoid having any of their stuff on my skin or even in my home.
    It is still a matter of opinion though.

Agreed! Placing trust well is vital and each must go by what they see as reasons to go elsewhere.