Code of Conduct

Thread: Jaguar for men

Default Jaguar for men

I did it again;bought a bottle blind today, Jaguar for men (green bottle).Well, I am not sooo happy with how it smells but on the other side I like it ;its a strange scent that reminds me a bit of Smalto PH .More Jaguar users with opinions about this scent?

Default Re: Jaguar for men

I love this scent too: I enjoy about it the crisp tangerine tones almost reminiscent of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte plus almost a note of-
    I know it sounds crazy- Guerliande during drydown, I don't know what exactly what it is, but the finish almost comes of as a "Guerlain powerhouse"

Besides, it's extremely affordable too

I've only smelled the reissue of this, which is the one you see at Marshalls these days. I don't like it too much. It's got a loud, shrill woody/metallic thing going on in the topnotes that I'm not wild about, which reminds me of One Man Show and the new version of Versace L'Homme. I did like the drydown - powdery patchouli, cedar and moss - but I'm not willing to suffer through three hours of shrieking top and middle notes to get to that stage.

I've heard the old version of this was really good, though.

fountain

i just compared the reformulation and the original recently. shame this new, harsher version seems to lack the elegance of the vintage essence.

DeepSilence

It's gr8, but really hard to wear.

itīs hard to describe, I can smell "dusty and warm orange" together with some kind of soap powder that sometimes make me sneeze a little...anyway itīs nice and pleasant scent especially for summer days

I like this too.....My Son has a bottle of the 1st version.....I really Loved Mark II but this is impossible to find.....I also have Performance and Pour Homme (Light Blue Box and Juice).....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I like this too.....My Son has a bottle of the 1st version.....I really Loved Mark II but this is impossible to find.....I also have Performance and Pour Homme (Light Blue Box and Juice).....Gary
    I almost wore that tonight for my sote Big Daddio! went with anucci instead.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I like the original Jaguar - not the reformulated version. But Mark II is the best Jaguar fragrance IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I like the original Jaguar - not the reformulated version. But Mark II is the best Jaguar fragrance IMO.
    I concur with this statement. Mark II is a strange but very good fragrance. It's the best of the lot.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    itīs hard to describe, I can smell "dusty and warm orange" together with some kind of soap powder that sometimes make me sneeze a little...anyway itīs nice and pleasant scent especially for summer days

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I love this scent too: I enjoy about it the crisp tangerine tones almost reminiscent of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte plus almost a note of-
    I know it sounds crazy- Guerliande during drydown, I don't know what exactly what it is, but the finish almost comes of as a "Guerlain powerhouse"....
    Agreed, with respect to the original version.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

So now I know I bought the reformulated version,wich is made in Germany.Not so British as the brandname suggests.Well,I tried i again today, and I still like it.Why is everything reformulated those days?In this case,for me, its not really a problem,I've never smelled the vintage version,but now I am curious about that one,and I am gonna sniff the original to compare both scents.Have a nice day everybody!

Just sampled it for the first time today. Here's my review:

I was fortunate to acquire a 125 ml splash bottle, still sealed in the box! It has the wood cap (screw type) and says 85% alcohol. I decanted some into a dab vial and applied it that way. Doing this, I didn't detect much in the way of top notes. It seems like it takes a while for the amber to heat up and help bring the other notes out. The orange is there but muted, and it wafts in and out gently, perhaps for a couple hours. The two main themes here are ones I found in vintage Xeryus and vintage Quorum. From the Quorum type, I get green, leather, and tobacco. The Xeryus type features a strong amber, cedar, and spice type of accord. It's definitely not too sweet, nor musky, and while the lavender note is clear, it's not irritating, as is the case in many "men's" fragrances from the 1980s. One thing that's great about this one is that it offers all the complexity, dynamism, balance, and naturalness you expect from a great vintage fragrance without any qualities that might offend anyone; hence, you can wear it for any occasion. And I see no reason why it would cause problems in hot weather.

What's really interesting to me is how much variation there is among the reviews. There is certainly a "grassy" aspect to it, but it's not nearly as strong as in a fragrance like Bobby Jones Cologne. There is also an almost gourmand aspect to it, with the vanilla and some other notes generating "toasty" and almost chocolate-like qualities at times. I can also see why some might feel it's powdery, though it's not a particularly strong element. So, if you don't like "shape-shifting" fragrances, this may be one to avoid. On the other hand, if you like what this fragrance offers, this is definitely a "Holy Grail" candidate. However, keep in mind that there could be reformulations, so if you get a fragrance that seems bland and much simpler, one would assume that is the case. Longevity is very good but projection/"sillage" is moderate. Also, the Quorum aspect to it does not last as long as the Xeryus (amber and cedar accord), and the grassy aspect gives way to the toasty, somewhat gourmand aspect, as the scent progresses. Mine was made in Switzerland.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st September 2011 at 03:33 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have the large spray, also green bottle, the one that first came out. If that's what's called the original, it's a good one IMO.

I got a vintage splash bottle of this in a swap and find it altogether pleasant. A sort of "tangerine sherbet" thing going on (think of Eau Sauvage's "lemon sherbet" kind of thing) mingled with a coniferous/woody greenness and tobacco. I expected something mossier and more powerhouse-y, but this isn't really all that macho. It's polite and gentlemanly.

Not worthy of crazy hype, but a pleasant find nonetheless.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

In reformulated form this is one stinky, stinky scent at first. But once it gets down to the basenotes, I remember it getting better. Still extremely challenging to people used to modern scents, but this one has some very distinctive retro vibes going on. I keep forgetting to buy this again. Nice bottle too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I got a vintage splash bottle of this in a swap and find it altogether pleasant. A sort of "tangerine sherbet" thing going on (think of Eau Sauvage's "lemon sherbet" kind of thing) mingled with a coniferous/woody greenness and tobacco. I expected something mossier and more powerhouse-y, but this isn't really all that macho. It's polite and gentlemanly.

Not worthy of crazy hype, but a pleasant find nonetheless.
    +1
    Own a vintage 125ml brown cap spray version and your description is exactly how I see this scent as well.
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    +1
    Own a vintage 125ml brown cap spray version and your description is exactly how I see this scent as well.
    +1 more.....
    More orange than green by a touch, and some great leather.

Let's keep it with no crazy hype so people can still wear it.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

This one falls flat for me not anything special I think the hype had me expecting a lot more.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Junkie

In my top 5. Never thought I would say that about a car fragrance. The reformulation isn't too bad either IMO.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

I just bought a 75ml with wooden cap (reads 85° on the box).

Will be interesting to compare with the newest silver cap one. The reviews on the reformulation vary wildly, from "better without the moss" to "horrible synthetic mess".
    Spray less, sense more.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I just bought a 75ml with wooden cap (reads 85° on the box).

Will be interesting to compare with the newest silver cap one. The reviews on the reformulation vary wildly, from "better without the moss" to "horrible synthetic mess".
    Let us know what you think. I find the vintage is most excellent and the current is okay, you can definitely see many traces of the original in it but it's just a bit "thin" and doesn't have the rich woods and leather....
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo