Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1930's, whiskey, coffee, apothecary, jazz: what fragrance? (pic included)

[redacted]
    Last edited by myfilthyheart; 19th May 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: 1930's, whiskey, coffee, apothecary, jazz: what fragrance? (pic included)

Caron Pour Un Homme (1934) should be your starting point. If you like it, run with it. It defines this era in mens' perfumery. Also, it has nice dark green, apothecary-esque packaging. But beware - lots of lavender to start, which you say you don't like.

If you think you might like something a little soapier, maybe try Creed Ambre Canelle (1949) or Dunhill for Men (1934).

Entering the '50s and beyond, Chanel Pour Monsieur is very highly regarded, and might offer the aesthetic you're after.

If you're open to trying womens' scents, Chanel Cuir de Russie (1924) and Robert Piguet's Bandit (1944) are worthy of your consideration.

Note: none of these scents actually have notes of coffee (try the modern A*Men Pure Coffee) or whiskey (try the not so modern Le Dandy), or really reflect bay rums or other apothecary concoctions. Rather, they are all very good examples of early-mid century perfumery, and the whole aesthetic of the period, IMO.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th January 2011 at 08:48 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: 1930's, whiskey, coffee, apothecary, jazz: what fragrance? (pic included)

Another vote for Caron pour un Homme - mot just originating from that age, but in tune with some of the keywords of this thread's title (even a slightly boozy, powdery and apothecary kind of scent)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

L'Occitan packaging (and some of its frags) may appeal to you: Eau des Baux for one.

The Tom Ford Private Collection offerings may also be worth investigating. Something available for most tastes.

Welcome to this side of Basenotes!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Perhaps Kilian (owned by the Hennesy family) line. It has notes of whiskey and rum in it. It comes with a refillable bottle and a nice wooden box to store your juice. You can find it at Saks.
    Currently wearing: Lonesome Rider by Tauer

Eucris
    All black, apothecary type bottle!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122096.html

Lubin Idole for rum and spice. Not whiskey, but still booze and very good. It is not at all of the era except that it somehow does echo bay rum with more edge and complexity.

Second Dunhill for Men.

Look at Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood, which actually comes across a bit like sherry and not whiskey but should give you a gentlemanly, old-school vibe.

You say whiskey and not whisky, but Profumum Fumidus is a very natural, boozy vetiver that comes across like an Islay malt early in its development. Spendy as hell, though.

Coming at this from a bit of a different angle, something tells me you might really like either of these inexpensive leathers: Elsha 1776 and Pinaud Special Reserve. Cheap as chips and very old-school, but gentlemanly, too.

Finally, consider Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather as a mid-priced saddle soap/barbershop fragrance. In fact, sample the hell out of Trumper and Penhaligon's, especially the older fragrances.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Lubin Vetiver Itasca
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Le Dandy Pour Homme by D'Orsay - A vintage scent to go with the vintage glasses and music. I'll throw in some history that I cut and pasted from the beautyencounter.

A hearty masculine scent that offers a totally unique and new kind of experience for men. It's a rich and full-flavored fragrance with top notes of tobacco and whisky, the heart is spicy with ginger and the bottom notes are woody and balsamic.

About Parfums D'Orsay

To explain the history Parfums D'Orsay is to recount the romantic story of the Chevalier D'Orsay.

Alfred, Count D'Orsay was one of the most celebrated Dandy's of his day. The word Dandy become commonly used around 1830. At the time a particular kind of gentleman, such as Beau Brummel, aroused admiration among the upper crust through their witty remarks and outlandish clothing. They were eager to be noticed and imposed a certain life and dress style in this bored bourgeois society.

The Chevalier D'Orsay was one of the most famous Dandies of the era. His outstanding talents as a writer, painter, and sculptor reached either ultimate expression in his creation as a perfume composer. His memory will forever live in the famous fragrance houses of Paris.

His real talent, however, was that of creating fine fragrances. His interest was sparked when his beloved mistress Lady Blessington simply could not find a fragrance that agreed with her. In England, the fashion of the day was intensely musky perfumes, which did not suit the delicate skin of a Lady.

And so begins the life long ambition of the Chevalier. Alchemist of luxury and love, D'Orsay rapidly developed a growing passion for his new interest, which will never leave him. In each of his homes he dedicated a room to the creation of fragrances. He turns his back on all other passions to fully pursue the life of a parfumeur.

He died at the height of his fame in 1852 when he was only 51. Eternally a Dandy of the highest order in the history books of France

I'd vote for Rive Gauche pour Homme. It's relatively new but it feels and looks vintage. It has an apothecary look and a barbershop vibe but there's more than this happening backstage. Me, I've always associated Rive Gauche with a vintage photograph and I was actually surprised when I learned it's from 2003. So instead of just digging into another era you get both worlds.
    Also, ditto Caron pour Un Homme but it's all about lavender. Give it a try anyway as lavender has different faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar Azul View Post
    I'd vote for Rive Gauche pour Homme. It's relatively new but it feels and looks vintage. It has an apothecary look and a barbershop vibe but there's more than this happening backstage. Me, I've always associated Rive Gauche with a vintage photograph and I was actually surprised when I learned it's from 2003. So instead of just digging into another era you get both worlds.
    Also, ditto Caron pour Un Homme but it's all about lavender. Give it a try anyway as lavender has different faces.
    I don't see any whiskey or coffee in Rive Gauche -

Rive Gauche pour Homme Fragrance Notes

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Star Anise, Rosemary

Middle Notes
    Lavender, Geranium Leaves, Cloves

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Gaiac Wood, Patchouli

As perfaddict noted, for packaging L'Occitane is hard to beat - and their Cade shaving balm is quite good. Their Eau des Baux, L'Occitan, and Vetyver EdTs are also fairly well-regarded.

Accompaniments to Chanel's Cuir de Russie and Piquet's Bandit: Knize Ten (masculine contemporary with CdR) and Habanita (plays Harlem speakeasy to Bandit's Village juke joint.) K10 and Habanita do have patchouli listed in the usual notes lists, but it's not dominant, by any measure.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post

Rive Gauche pour Homme Fragrance Notes

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Star Anise, Rosemary

Middle Notes
    Lavender, Geranium Leaves, Cloves

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Gaiac Wood, Patchouli
    Well I had the impression it was about the habit of drinking coffee and not the smell itself to be reproduced. Otherwise I'd suggest Black Vetyver Café and maybe Escada Casual Friday hadn't it been discontinued.
    Thanks for the note list though never looked at it, wouldn't have guessed there's patchouli and cloves in Rive Gauche.

[redacted]
    Last edited by myfilthyheart; 19th May 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    My interpretation of OP's request was not so much that he specifically wants something with notes of coffee and whiskey. The whole good whiskey and french press coffee thing seemed to be more about slowing down and enjoying the finer things - a demonstration of a rich, vintage lifestyle - to give us an idea of what his taste in scent might be.

So, I agree that Rive Gauche could be a good pick. Most of my recommendations didn't have coffee or whiskey notes, either.

But I could be wrong.

myfilthyheart, what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by myfilthyheart View Post
    wow, these responses were fast! what an amazing community.

from what im seeing here, theres plenty for me to start looking into. im going to have to make a list, and go sample a bunch of these.... i only hope they arent going to be too difficult to track down....
    FYI, most of the older scents referenced here won't be readily available for sampling in stores. You'll probably need to order samples at The Perfumed Court to make a dent in your list.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Welcome to Basenotes! Guys, he doesn't like lavender. So maybe Pour un Homme should not be on the top of his list.

I somehow imagine dry and dark scents would suit you. Something like Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Eau des Iles or maybe Parfum d'Habit. Czech & Speake Cuba might also suit you.

You'd love Helmut Lang's Cuiron bottle! Beautiful apothecary-style bottle. The fragrance is very good to, but kind of expensive, since it was discontinues and has a following.

grezzo by profumo.it

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another for Le Dandy Pour Homme by D'Orsay

Blog Entries

Yes, yes, yes another vote for Le Dandy!

You people are great with the recs!!!
    I thought of LD just after reading the title

Whiskey and jazz had me thinking of Frapin 1270, as a (less fitting) substitude but reading your description it might not fit the bill.

Welcome to basenotes, myfilthyheart, a great way to introduce yourself!
    Smellin good

Truefitt & Hill Spanish Leather or KNIZE TEN.

[redacted]
    Last edited by myfilthyheart; 19th May 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myfilthyheart View Post
    does this The Perfumed Court place ship to canada? if not, does anyone have suggestions of a place that would ship samples to canada?
    Yes, same price as within U.S., $5.95.

http://theperfumedcourt.com/shipping.aspx

For someone drinking good coffee and whisky and listening to Jazz, something richer and darker like a leather fragrance is my first thought, which I see some others share.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather is the best I've tried -- dark and richly smoky. A truly noir fragrance. The regular Tom Ford for Men might appeal if Tuscan Leather is too intense.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Le Dandy was the first thing that popped into my mind while reading the thread title. I think in the long run, you'll be better off ignoring packaging aesthetics in favor of the smell of the scent - otherwise, you're going to run into purchases that merely look good sitting on your shelf rather than smelling good on yourself (that "h" makes a big difference!).
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Welcome to Basenotes myfilthyheart. Looks like you have received several excellent suggestions so far. I'll add a few more.

First, trade the wristwatch for a '30s vintage pocket watch.

A fragrance that gives me a vivid image of Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty on the trip to Mexico City in On the Road, is Lonestar Memories.

For the vibe of Tom Waits Buzz Fledderjohn or Gun Street Girl check out Patchouli 24 (don't be fouled by the name - it isn't really predominately patchouli ) by La Labo.

An excellent source tells me Tom Waits will be wearing Mitsouko when he is inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

I would bet Charlie Parker and his contemporaries wore Old Spice. Don't overlook this classic.
    Last edited by dukecity; 13th January 2011 at 03:31 AM.

I would add Chanel Antaeus to my prior suggestion for your sample list, and maybe Creed's Bois du Portugal as well.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Truefitt & Hill Spanish Leather
    I second that.

I also strongly suggest "Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg". It's a hidden gem; almost no one has it and it is such an understated and gentlemanly fragrance:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/B...meg-10851.html

I thought Id throw in my two scents too. The one that popped into my head first is by Nez a Nez-Atelier d'Artist, great boozy fragwith tobacco etc. The Frapin 1270 is another goodie for you to try. You mentioned the Perfumed Court. They are a well organized outfit that would definetly fill your bill. They will have exactly what you need. They have special packs with "boozy" samples, 5 or 7 different frags that you could sample.

Cheers Rex
    I saw that!!

... if you have the guts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes! Guys, he doesn't like lavender. So maybe Pour un Homme should not be on the top of his list.

I somehow imagine dry and dark scents would suit you. Something like Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Eau des Iles or maybe Parfum d'Habit. Czech & Speake Cuba might also suit you.

You'd love Helmut Lang's Cuiron bottle! Beautiful apothecary-style bottle. The fragrance is very good to, but kind of expensive, since it was discontinues and has a following.
    I too was thinking something dark and dry, and thus my first thought was Memoir Man by Amouage. It goes excellently with black, too, as it smells rather green/purple/black to me. While it doesn't have a whiskey note, it does have a wonderful absinthe accord, some dry and smoky woods and incense, along with a nice and supple leather note. Much has been said about this scent, and I've spoken my thoughts much more eloquently as well, and a lot of those words can be found on this thread here -> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...al-Impressions

If anything, go to the above linked thread just to take a look at the bottle. I think you'll love it!

I know it's pricy but if you really liked it you could just "buy it as you need it" from Parfums Raffy. They sell 2ml official samples for $6 a piece, and a 2ml sample will give you about 20 sprays or so. This is a pretty strong scent, so you can get away with 1 or at max 2 sprays. Thus, you could spend say, $36 and get six samples, and have enough for 60 to 120 wearings.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I've a feeling Terre D'Hermes (Perfume) might hit the spot............
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed