Code of Conduct

Default A dumb projection question

Apologies for this naive question, but how do you rate a scents projection if you're the one wearing the fragrance?

Is projection based on how far someone has to be to smell you (how can you qualify that unless you get them to walk away until they can't pick up on your scent) or the fact they can detect a pleasant smell in a room you are in (but then wouldn't that be a silage issue?)

Furthermore how does the amount of sprays used and olfactory fatigue affect judgement regarding projection? Wouldn't it be better for someone else to judge?

Please educate me

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Re: A dumb projection question

For me, if I can smell someone's fragrance at a distance of about 10 feet while the person is stationary, then I conclude the projection is good. I am sure that others will have more informed views.

Default Re: A dumb projection question

Good question. And you have more or less answered it as well IMO.

With practice you can probably get a sense of whether what you are wearing is projecting a lot or not, but the test of a scent's throw or sillage (vapour trail) can't really be accurately concluded until after the top-notes have burnt off. Frankly other people are the best judge because they are the ones experiencing what you are emanating and, just as importantly, they aren't stuck in the 'cocoon' where there is a very real possibility that olfactory fatigue has kicked in and you are just not noticing it as much.

Short answer - yes, ask a friend.

One way of getting a sense of how volatile a fragrance might be is to spray it on a scent strip or a bit of fabric then close the door, leave the room and come back to see how effusively it greets you when you walk back into the room half an hour later Never tried it myself.