Code of Conduct

Default Yellow Sea by M. Micallef

I noticed in a top 20 thread that two people had already listed Yellow Sea, so it's piqued my interest.

For those of you who have experience with this fragrance (actually wearing it, maybe even owning it), how would you describe it? You can mention some of the dominant notes, but also, if you could please describe the overall character of the fragrance, its qualities, and the feelings or atmosphere it evokes, etc.

And how is its longevity?

Thank you in advance!
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Sound Scents

Default Re: Yellow Sea by M. Micallef

I own it and love it. The best from Micallef, IMO.

I originally wrote this here about Yellow Sea:

Yellow Sea is a difficult fragrance to describe. The notes are extremely well-blended so it is difficult to pinpoint individual notes... That said, I think I am smelling lemon and bergamot up top (staying around for the heart notes) then also in the heart I get an incense and patchouli accord peeping through drying down to an amber base. I am sure that is not a perfect representative of all the notes in Yellow Sea, but it is just a very refined and complex scent by Micallef. I guess I pretty much get a very nice semi-sweet light citrus/fresh oriental that is extremely versatile, unique and easy to wear. Longevity, sillage and projection are all average here. Bottom line is I like Yellow Sea a lot and highly recommend it.

Since I wrote that mini review, I would say I would actually rate the longevity as above average now... I get about 10 hours (8 is average for me). I also can say many months later that every time I wear it, I enjoy it even more.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Ta by O'Driù

I also like Yellow Sea, along with Spicy for Him. Certainly worth sampling

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have all four in the Sea collection and although I like Yellow Sea, Black Sea is my favorite.

@drseid

It sounds interesting based on your review (the only one on basenotes as it turns out)....are there any fragrances with which it shares a resemblance?

BTW, I just ordered a sample of it!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    @drseid

It sounds interesting based on your review (the only one on basenotes as it turns out)....are there any fragrances with which it shares a resemblance?

BTW, I just ordered a sample of it!
    It does not smell anything like Amouage Dia Man, but I did sense some similarities in that both of them are very refined and somewhat subtle scents.

Hope you like it. Oh and just in case you do and ever buy just as a tip, the Micallef USA authorized rep sells it through eBay and on its web site for much less than Lucky Scent. I am not trying to cost LS a potential future sale as I love those guys... but the difference in price is rather substantial, so I felt it worth mentioning as an FYI.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Ta by O'Driù

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have Yellow Sea and love it. It has been well described by drseid above. It reminds me of the fem Balenciaga Cristobal with its ambery base, but less sweet with dollops of castoreum in the base. Highly recommended.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    It does not smell anything like Amouage Dia Man, but I did sense some similarities in that both of them are very refined and somewhat subtle scents.

Hope you like it. Oh and just in case you do and ever buy just as a tip, the Micallef USA authorized rep sells it through eBay and on its web site for much less than Lucky Scent. I am not trying to cost LS a potential future sale as I love those guys... but the difference in price is rather substantial, so I felt it worth mentioning as an FYI.
    Thanks for that tip. They probably also sell the 30 ml which LS does not have at the moment.

Can't wait for the sample to get here. When it does I'll report back!

I look forward to smelling it, but I find the name a bit unfortunate.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I look forward to smelling it, but I find the name a bit unfortunate.

The entire Sea series is discontinued. Micallef USA on their Ebay site have all four 100ml colors of the sea series on auction for 23 hours starting at $9.99. All are unused full 100ml testers with caps. I already have all four or I would have jumped on it. Never going to see these this low. Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc...=p3911.c0.m301
    Last edited by hednic; 4th February 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The entire Sea series is discontinued. Micallef USA on their Ebay site have all four 100ml colors of the sea series on auction for 23 hours starting at $9.99. All are unused full 100ml testers with caps. I already have all four or I would have jumped on it. Never going to see these this low. Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc...=p3911.c0.m301

HEDNIC! You're the man, my friend. Thank you so much for posting this. I was able to score a 100ml of Yellow Sea (never used) for $79!

The funny part is, I'm still waiting on the Yellow Sea from sample from the Perfumed Court to arrive! But I saw this 24 hour deal and had to jump on it...a big blind buy that I'm confident should work out.

It's an exciting one too because I know very very little about this fragrance and it's been a while since I've gone blind with a niche 100ml.

I'll let you know what I think of it when I try it.

Thanks again!

Very cool of you, hednic. And excellent score, Bb!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    HEDNIC! You're the man, my friend. Thank you so much for posting this. I was able to score a 100ml of Yellow Sea (never used) for $79!

The funny part is, I'm still waiting on the Yellow Sea from sample from the Perfumed Court to arrive! But I saw this 24 hour deal and had to jump on it...a big blind buy that I'm confident should work out.

It's an exciting one too because I know very very little about this fragrance and it's been a while since I've gone blind with a niche 100ml.

I'll let you know what I think of it when I try it.

Thanks again!
    Sorry to bump an almost 4-year-old thread, but was curious as to what you thought of this when you got it as I don't recall your returning to share your thoughts.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry to bump an almost 4-year-old thread, but was curious as to what you thought of this when you got it as I don't recall your returning to share your thoughts.
    I liked it. From what I remember it was a creamy citrus fragrance with a warm, slightly animalic amber base, a little spicy. It was unique and smelled good. For some stupid reason I sold it about a year after I bought it. And out of more than 200 bottles I've bought and sold along the way, it's probably 1 of only 5 that I regret selling. Now it's more or less impossible to find.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio