Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Difference between Basenotes and Fragrantica?

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Fragrantica has many more reviews. I must give it a thumbs up for that. Bearing in mind the number of active members on Basenotes I am surprised at the lack of reviews.

Saying that......I think Basenotes is much better forum/discussion wise. If you have look on Fragranticas discussion page it is full of what I would call juvenile topics. Every site has them but they are overrun with them.
    I would echo your thoughts. Quick review check? Fragrantica. Useful discussion? Basenotes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The server in Fragrantica never stops and that searching tool is wonderful. It's awesome to be able to talk about a fragrance putting the picture and link to it in the text. It's easy to attach pictures, videos and we can choose any picture as our Avatar. But I miss something more personal there. I'm not sure what's missing. Be able to have friends? To buy perfumes? I'm not sure.
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post

When I want to be give my OCD and neurosis a break, I head over to Fragrantica and pray I do not induce a migraine - because that web design is an act of SATAN!

LOLOL

They don't have user experience they have user extinguish.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Basenotes has a more intellectual approach to fragrance, and that appeals to me, however not everyone shares that view of our hobby. What I enjoy about our board here is the technical and incredible DEPTH of learning. My OCD and neuroticism needs this venue to truly flourish in my love of all things smelly!
    Then I think I'm a Fragrantican exiled in Basenotes. I'm very straight to the point. I'm not very found of a verbiage.

My OCD and neuroticism needs this venue to truly flourish in my love of all things smelly!

When I want to be give my OCD and neurosis a break, I head over to Fragrantica and pray I do not induce a migraine - because that web design is an act of SATAN!

OCD you say?

I knew there was a reason I had saved these photos

https://imgur.com/a/Kpb9G

Anyways, getting back on track, it would be nice if more people posted reviews here on BN. I know I am not perfect but when I have something to say, I will definitely say something.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )
    Currently wearing: Pasha Parfum by Cartier

Basenotes Plus

I head over to Fragrantica and pray I do not induce a migraine - because that web design is an act of SATAN!
    Yeah, I can only stand about 15 minutes over there before I feel like I'm being stabbed in the eyeballs.

I HATE the damn new design!! It's a downright battle to actually find the fragrance you are looking for. I know loads of people are complaining about the new design. Trying to just add a new fragrance to my wardrobe was a nightmare. We are not talking an ultra-rare brand or even fragrance. You get the brand (Woo Hoo), but then only a few of them appear in the drop down! So you end up trying a different route.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Messe de Minuit by Etro

Basenotes Plus

BN no one reviews a fragrance before it’s released! Should be a block feature for that until release date, pretty annoying and pointless. Less drama and bs conversations and reviews on BN. I do enjoy the Fragrantica layout looks nice, loads faster but the big BUT not many of the awesome people on this forum are on there!

Edit: new Fragrantica layout is crap another don’t fix what isn’t broken example o well BN it is!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I HATE the damn new design!! It's a downright battle to actually find the fragrance you are looking for. I know loads of people are complaining about the new design. Trying to just add a new fragrance to my wardrobe was a nightmare. We are not talking an ultra-rare brand or even fragrance. You get the brand (Woo Hoo), but then only a few of them appear in the drop down! So you end up trying a different route.
    Saw it yesterday. Maybe it's a matter of habit. Maybe not. But be sure if people don't get used to it the owner will do something. He's in the tech field.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by vmaster View Post
    ocd you say?

I knew there was a reason i had saved these photos

https://imgur.com/a/kpb9g

anyways, getting back on track, it would be nice if more people posted reviews here on bn. I know i am not perfect but when i have something to say, i will definitely say something.
    you are satan's messenger!

Basenotes Member

I'm just wondering if anybody had some bad experiences with Fragrantica in general?
    I've been a member on both sites and I don't post or review very often. I tend to refrain from posting very negative stuff, especially when it comes to new brands. But Fragrantica seems to be taking down negative reviews or opinions. This was picked up by a couple of people on the thread so I wasn't imagining it. I find it problematic, especially in relation to the stated aims of being independent etc. Not to mention that review and the data in general is used by lots of people and companies to inform decisions.
    Does anybody know a blogger or a lifestyle journalist who has looked into stuff like this?
    Many thanks!

Sillage Monster

Another thread from the archives... or should I say the Crypt?
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

That's easy.

Since this thread has been started: (warning: there will be good and bad for both)

Fragrantica has evolved into influencer and fragbro central, where all the hype beasts looking for internet fame go and all their minions follow. Mainstream designers and status-embuing luxury brands are all the talk, and reviews are little more than people calling each other out like high schoolers on Facebook. Forums seem pretty civil from what I've gleaned however, and the site goes to greater lengths to include various editions or complete fragrance profiles with photos, ads, visual note breakdowns, etc. Just the directory is full of toxicity and morons yelling at each other in reviews, plus the site gets attacked by malware frequently that triggers your browser firewall and when not, they're loaded to the gills with cookies, pop-up ads, and Java nonsense. Nice graphic design and more-frequently updated though.

Basenotes on the other hand has become a walled garden for people who've given up exploring new fragrances, but love endlesely discussing different batches and vintages of the same ones they'll likely take to their grave. It's also the place for the extremely hardcore fan of specific fragrances or houses, or folks who velvet rope themselves off based on price point or materials, where you'll find the "niche/artisanal snob" or the solipsistic rich collector that can't rationalize why anyone would buy anything but the deepest vintage or 1st edition of anything. The directory isn't really keeping up either and entries are incomplete but we have some of the warmest admin staff and many long-term commited members are simply wonderful people, and a treasure of knowledge you won't find in a wiki. Actual conversations can be had here.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    That's easy.

Since this thread has been started: (warning: there will be good and bad for both)

Fragrantica has evolved into influencer and fragbro central, where all the hype beasts looking for internet fame go and all their minions follow. Mainstream designers and status-embuing luxury brands are all the talk, and reviews are little more than people calling each other out like high schoolers on Facebook. Forums seem pretty civil from what I've gleaned however, and the site goes to greater lengths to include various editions or complete fragrance profiles with photos, ads, visual note breakdowns, etc. Just the directory is full of toxicity and morons yelling at each other in reviews, plus the site gets attacked by malware frequently that triggers your browser firewall and when not, they're loaded to the gills with cookies, pop-up ads, and Java nonsense. Nice graphic design and more-frequently updated though.

Basenotes on the other hand has become a walled garden for people who've given up exploring new fragrances, but love endlesely discussing different batches and vintages of the same ones they'll likely take to their grave. It's also the place for the extremely hardcore fan of specific fragrances or houses, or folks who velvet rope themselves off based on price point or materials, where you'll find the "niche/artisanal snob" or the solipsistic rich collector that can't rationalize why anyone would buy anything but the deepest vintage or 1st edition of anything. The directory isn't really keeping up either and entries are incomplete but we have some of the warmest admin staff and many long-term commited members are simply wonderful people, and a treasure of knowledge you won't find in a wiki. Actual conversations can be had here.
    Thanks for the synopsis.

That's easy.

But what do you really think?
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Basenotes Plus

Fragrantica has evolved into influencer and fragbro central, where all the hype beasts looking for internet fame go and all their minions follow.
    This is news to me, since I haven't been keeping up with their boards or reviews, and only visit to use their directory or read articles by Yudov, et al. If true, it seems like good news for Basenotes in terms of ambiance, but not in terms of traffic.

Basenotes on the other hand has become a walled garden for people who've given up exploring new fragrances,
    I think I'd add one caveat there: "for people who've given up exploring new mass market fragrances." There's plenty of discussion here around new stuff from artisanal houses. (Even if it does come from the "niche/artisanal snobs" you reference.)

but love endlessly discussing different batches and vintages of the same ones they'll likely take to their grave.
    Mea culpa.

Sometimes all of us here remind me of my uncle and all his model train enthusiast buddies that I used to make merciless fun of when I was a kid.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    But what do you really think?
    Opinions aren't always pretty, but it doesn't mean I hate either place though, does it? Just calling it like I see it. Your eyes may see differently (and that's okay)!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I think I'd add one caveat there: "for people who've given up exploring new mass market fragrances." There's plenty of discussion here around new stuff from artisanal houses. (Even if it does come from the "niche/artisanal snobs" you reference.)

Mea culpa.
    Mea maxima culpa.
    Currently wearing: Miyako by Auphorie

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Mea maxima culpa.
    But you're pretty much only serially culpa.

Dependent

This, absolutely. This is mostly why I left Fragrantica.

Basenotes, on the other hand seems to be a bit more sophisticated; for people who view fragrance as art. It does have it's downsides, but the pros out weigh the cons.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

A few things I like about Fragrantica:

1. The note pyramids in the directory. They're just easier for me to take in at a glance, and more comprehensive than what's on offer here.

2. Having all the reviews for a given fragrance on a single page. I appreciate this when doing a "find on page" search for particular keywords in the reviews.

More and more, it seems, I will do a Google search for something fragrance-related and am surprised to discover that Basenotes pages don't appear in the top 10 or even top 20 anymore. It may not mean much, but it gives me the sense that Basenotes is becoming less relevant.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

That's easy.

Well stated!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Opinions aren't always pretty, but it doesn't mean I hate either place though, does it? Just calling it like I see it. Your eyes may see differently (and that's okay)!
    I was just teasing. I appreciated your pointed opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Easy:
    Average people on Fragrantica know only designers and commercialized niches. You won't get anything new out of them. Bunch of broken records. Basenoters usually each know their territory of artisans, indies and the literal niche stuff. They know more about notes, perfume history...
    Fragrantica by far looks more modern and user friendly while Basenotes is the version of UI 60s movies imagined!
    Fragrantica forums are more friendly, welcoming and less judgmental/mean-spirited. I have been very unpleasantly surprised by the bad attitude of some active users here.
    But the reviews are where it gets ugly on Fragrantica, it's a kid-shit-show there, ppl defending perfumes like they would their favorite teams in a Scottish bars, while Basenoters keep it professional in the reviews section.

In short, Fragrantica's the Matrix and Basenotes is the Desert of the Real.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the answer and opinions.
    I've been on both sites for a while now and I thought there was a pragmatic complementarity between the two: Fragrantica was more comprehensive, more up to date, while Basenotes was more analytical, more in-depth and more authoritative (saying that, some of the good reviewers post the same individual fragrance reviews on both sites).

Visually, Fragrantica uses a clever trick to illustrate the notes, which is very effective (possibly tapping into some form of synethesia when people are discovering a fragrance which they haven't yet experienced and it may serve as a good mnemomic device in remembering the notes). The downside is that the overall visual is cluttered, overloaded and at times looks like a page from a children's book aimed at under five year olds.

The discussion boards are disappointing and they don't add any value compared to the main article of the fragrances. There are loads of users and voices, but most are at beginner level, not hugely sophisticated (not that's anything wrong with that).
    Basenotes' strength is in the forums and the quality of the writing. Also, the tone seems friendlier and less brash or confrontational (ok, i haven't read all threads). The directory might be less comprehensive, but than listing every bottle of fragrance produced everywhere in the world is a bit pointless as most of these won't be available to most readers.

But my initial question triggered by Fragrantica taking down negative posts about fragrances (these were not offensive or anything, just critical of the brand or its strategies). This really made me question the claims about neutrality and independence, which would be also linked to the way the business case operate. Fragrantica posts a huge amount of press releases as 'news', which are really promotional strategies for the brands and kind of undermine the independence claim.

Anyway, I felt really alienated by how they behaved, not to mention the tone of one of their moderators. It was quite funny that a set of arguments that I was using in some lectures I taught for a decade to second year undergraduates (branding and links to national symbols) was censored. Never realised that I was this controversial

So will delete my profile on F and stick to Basenotes. At least until somebody will try to censor me here, too.
    Cheers
    Last edited by d_l_esmond; 19th September 2020 at 01:30 PM.

Banned

Fragrantica's directory is better, for the rest I hang out at Basenotes.

I'll admit I sometimes get frustrated by the "vintage or die" aura that the most established member base has here. I like vintage fragrances well enough, but I wish there was more curiosity about the present/future of fragrances. There's an undercurrent to a lot of conversations here that perfumery might as well be considered a dead art form, and like a bunch of aging opera fans clutching their prized Renata Tebaldi LPs, the best we can do is just circle up and talk about how nice the old days were.

Which is not to say that I want us to go the way of Fragrantica, which has gone the way of the YouTube fragcomm. But it does seem like Basenotes has a good way of alienating anyone whose tastes might be current. (Just see the way recommendation threads for just-out-of-college posters looking for a good everyday scent will inevitably include a heavy number of old-school, mature fragrances.)

I say this not to shame anyone. I love y'all vintage-loving folks and you've helped me discover a lot of splendid things. But there's still a general insularity here I wish we could get past.

On that point, maybe something like a series of big sample passes focusing only on under-discussed fragrances from the past five years or so could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Yes, but it's not especially vigorous discussion (which is understandable, given that scarity and pricepoint are going to limit discussion to a small set even under the best circumstances).

And, again, the enthusiasm for stuff like Rogue has that same undercurrent of "ah, the old days" that makes conversation in this place feel like the conversation you'd have at a funeral reception.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 20th September 2020 at 04:05 PM.

I've hardly looked at Fragranctica in the three years since I posted in this thread (about how I never visit Fragrantica).

I agree with the recent comments about Basenotes being a good resource for finding good perfume.

I've tried to follow perfume groups on Facebook. None have clicked so far.

Part of the beauty of Basenotes, to me, is the simplicity - an old-school forum. You can do a lot with it. It clearly works as a platform to discuss perfume.

Also, when I venture out to find more perfume talk, it often circles back to Basenotes, and what's happening on Basenotes, and then I wonder why they don't just discuss the topics on Basenotes. And I hear comments about how Basenotes is too intense for some people, which I can't even type without laughing.

Basenotes Plus

As there are members here from all age groups, and as the younger members talk more about niche which have proliferated in recent years, it should not be surprising that the older members still discuss classic vintage fragrances as their standards by which to compare. As well some of the flanker iterations such as black, extreme, intense etc. are a bit overplayed, if not comical, to the older members. It would behoove you and others to sample vintage classics to see what the attachment is all about. Patou Pour Homme or Shalimar...

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'll admit I sometimes get frustrated by the "vintage or die" aura that the most established member base has here. I like vintage fragrances well enough, but I wish there was more curiosity about the present/future of fragrances. There's an undercurrent to a lot of conversations here that perfumery might as well be considered a dead art forum, and like a bunch of aging opera fans clutching their prized Renata Tebaldi LPs, the best we can do is just circle up and talk about how nice the old days were.

Which is not to say that I want us to go the way of Fragrantica, which has gone the way of the YouTube fragcomm. But it does seem like Basenotes has a good way of alienating anyone whose tastes might be current. (Just see the way recommendation threads for just-out-of-college posters looking for a good everyday scent will inevitably include a heavy number of old-school, mature fragrances.)

I say this not to shame anyone. I love y'all vintage-loving folks and you've helped me discover a lot of splendid things. But there's still a general insularity here I wish we could get past.

On that point, maybe something like a series of big sample passes focusing only on under-discussed fragrances from the past five years or so could be fun.

Yes, but it's not especially vigorous discussion (which is understandable, given that scarity and pricepoint are going to limit discussion to a small set even under the best circumstances).

And, again, the enthusiasm for stuff like Rogue has that same undercurrent of "ah, the old days" that makes conversation in this place feel like the conversation you'd have at a funeral reception.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    As there are members here from all age groups, and as the younger members talk more about niche which have proliferated in recent years, it should not be surprising that the older members still discuss classic vintage fragrances as their standards by which to compare. As well some of the flanker iterations such as black, extreme, intense etc. are a bit overplayed, if not comical, to the older members. It would behoove you and others to sample vintage classics to see what the attachment is all about. Patou Pour Homme or Shalimar...
    This is a pitch-perfect example of the vintage-lover condescension that tends to creep into conversations here, so thank you for reinforcing my point!

I'll simply note that I've done (and continue to do) my fair share of vintage sampling/acquisition. I understand the appeal and excitement. My scent of the day is an older bottle of Santa Maria Novella Fieno, which originated in 1886. I bristle at the suggestion that I'm just some young whippersnapper who only cares about new flankers and luxe-niche fluff.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast