Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Men That Wear Mitsouko

Mitsouko is a great fragrance, and as has been said before, life is short...too short to miss out on enjoying great experiences...like wearing Mitsouko or some of the other great fragrances you mentioned.

I doubt anyone but a 'fume-head would recognize any of these fragrances on you, and the ones who would recognize would almost certainly admire your panache for wearing such goodness.

I've only recognized a fragrance marketed to women on a man once, and it smelled fantastic on him--I was quite impressed really.

A few years back, I had boarded a plane and noticed a nice aroma from time to time. I sniffed to check if it was me. Nope. Not that good that day. After a while I realized I was smelling it each time a male flight attendant walked by. So eventually I overcame the social awkwardness of asking a guy what fragrance he was wearing. He smiled and said, "it's new". I didn't click that he was avoiding the question, so I pushed, "no, I meant what is it?" He then answered, "it's Cartier", and moved along to attend another passenger. Well, I mentally went through all the "masculine" fragrances I knew from that line: Santos, no, Pasha no, Declaration, no, Must pour Homme, no. The fragrance did seem a little familiar. Had he lied to me? Was it something else altogether? Nope, it was Le Baiser du Dragon, of which I had smelled a sample a few months before. Worked great on him, not feminine at all.

P.S. I did buy my first bottle of Mitsouko EdP this week too. I wanted to get the cool bottle in the gold box before it disappeared, replaced by reformulated material.

Basenotes Plus

Nice coincidence: I wore 'new' Eau de Toilette today, right after a lunchtime workout at the gym (two tiny sprays from a plastic decant bottle). Perfect. The other guys in the locker room didn't flinch. It just smells GOOD. End of story.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    ........Any words of Wisdom for me?.......
    Wearing them around the house won't tell you as much. You have to get out and move around, get the body temp up, be around others, etc. Shalimar smells better but my girlfriend often mistakes it for Bois du Portugal. Mitsouko's androgynous, especially the new edt. There's so much vetiver in Mitsouko I sometimes think I'd rather just wear a good vetiver fragrance. You'd be a lot better off wearing Mitsouko than most of the disinfectants made for men. Nothing smells better than vintage Mitsouko parfum.

"Mitsouko is a thing of subtle silk opulence: strength and balance and twilight. I imagine that in the Chinese opium dens, just as the opium eaters begin to lose consciousness, they perceive a similarly magical smell drifting from their pipes. If Mitsouko is not five stars, no perfume is."
    Last edited by pluran; 8th January 2013 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries

I have moved past any apprehensions that I had about wearing Mitsouko out in public. I am now wearing Chanel No.19, Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Hermes Amazone, Shalimar, Chamade, Etc....I found that I am happiest wearing what I like and being myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Mitsouko is a great fragrance, and as has been said before, life is short...too short to miss out on enjoying great experiences...like wearing Mitsouko or some of the other great fragrances you mentioned.

I doubt anyone but a 'fume-head would recognize any of these fragrances on you, and the ones who would recognize would almost certainly admire your panache for wearing such goodness.

I've only recognized a fragrance marketed to women on a man once, and it smelled fantastic on him--I was quite impressed really.

A few years back, I had boarded a plane and noticed a nice aroma from time to time. I sniffed to check if it was me. Nope. Not that good that day. After a while I realized I was smelling it each time a male flight attendant walked by. So eventually I overcame the social awkwardness of asking a guy what fragrance he was wearing. He smiled and said, "it's new". I didn't click that he was avoiding the question, so I pushed, "no, I meant what is it?" He then answered, "it's Cartier", and moved along to attend another passenger. Well, I mentally went through all the "masculine" fragrances I knew from that line: Santos, no, Pasha no, Declaration, no, Must pour Homme, no. The fragrance did seem a little familiar. Had he lied to me? Was it something else altogether? Nope, it was Le Baiser du Dragon, of which I had smelled a sample a few months before. Worked great on him, not feminine at all.

P.S. I did buy my first bottle of Mitsouko EdP this week too. I wanted to get the cool bottle in the gold box before it disappeared, replaced by reformulated material.
    That's a great story! I am Glad to hear you got some Mitsouko! Good for you! She is a mysterious and wonderful frag for both men and women. Like in your story she smells totally different on a man than on a women.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Nice coincidence: I wore 'new' Eau de Toilette today, right after a lunchtime workout at the gym (two tiny sprays from a plastic decant bottle). Perfect. The other guys in the locker room didn't flinch. It just smells GOOD. End of story.
    So very true Mike. Mitsy does "just smell GOOD"!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Wearing them around the house won't tell you as much. You have to get and move around, get the body temp up, be around others, etc. Shalimar smells better but my girlfriend often mistakes it for Bois du Portugal. Mitsouko's androgynous, especially the new edt. There's so much vetiver in Mitsouko I sometimes think I'd rather just wear a good vetiver fragrance. You'd be a lot better off wearing Mitsouko than most of the disinfectants made for men. Nothing smells better than vintage Mitsouko parfum.

"Mitsouko is a thing of subtle silk opulence: strength and balance and twilight. I imagine that in the Chinese opium dens, just as the opium eaters begin to lose consciousness, they perceive a similarly magical smell drifting from their pipes. If Mitsouko is not five stars, no perfume is."
    I know what you mean. There are some terrible men's frags out today! And Mitsouko is a five star frag with such mystery and beauty. She has become my love.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 8th January 2013 at 03:47 AM.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

I have a few semi-vintage versions dating from around the 80's - couple of Extraits, Parfum de Toilette and EDT.

Wore the EDT for an evening out yesterday - superb, deep, rich mossy baritone accord that really just makes you laugh when you look at the most of the confections being foisted on young guys these days. It's not so much the fact that so much stuff is sweet or simply bland, it's just that they seem to be so mean - tightly packed little synthetic things with no sense of space. Mitsouko is expansive, it gives you room to lean back and relax and enjoy the view - these new chemical things are like the seats in economy with a 6 inch screen about a foot in front of your face.

Great analogy, Mr.R.

The main problem with the wearability of Mitsouko is that it is a chypre. Beautiful as they can be they have been out of fashion for more than 20 years now. I'd say if you are comfortable wearing old school masculine chypres you should have no problem whatsoever. I'm speaking for the Vintage EDP as I'm not familiar with the current formulation or other concentrations.

I have it and love it...Wear it anyway and enjoy it. I wear Shalimar as well...

Basenotes Plus

So funny I put a bit on last night before I headed out for Chinese food. Such a classic!
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I prefer the EdT version — drier, less peachy. When I’m in the mood for Mitsouko, nothing else will do. It’s a warm, comforting scent, simultaneously expansive yet cozy. I get the awestruck effect that comes with viewing great works of art in a fine museum. Plus, you can pick up chicks with it.

I own the vintage EDC, and it never fails to brighten my mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Médie by Cire Trudon

I own multiple vintage bottles and it's a wonderful chypre classic.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    How do you wear it?
    Vintage Mitsouko EDT - 2-3 small sprays on my wrist.

-----

I'm starting to like it more and more.
    The aldehydes are not annoying at all, the flowers are very well blended, it's smooth and plushy with just a touch of fruitiness. It has an overall suede-mossy-spicy vibe.
    Unisex due to the moss. But, still, a bit on the feminine side.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Me when feeling particularly kinky!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

I tried wearing it, a few years ago, but it didn't agree with my body chemistry. I also disliked the scent's antiquated 'dustiness'.

Does anyone else find a great similarity between Mitsouko and Derby? I have a 1985 bottle of Derby and a sample of Mitsouko EDT (not sure which year/formulation) but, certainly for the first half an hour, Mitsouko REALLY reminds me of the drydown of the Derby.

(prepares to be shot down in flames....!)

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Does anyone else find a great similarity between Mitsouko and Derby? I have a 1985 bottle of Derby and a sample of Mitsouko EDT (not sure which year/formulation) but, certainly for the first half an hour, Mitsouko REALLY reminds me of the drydown of the Derby.

Absolutely! Derby is clearly descended from Mitsouko and is sometimes described as a kind of 'Mitsouko pour Homme'.

I know these old Guerlain classics like Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are revered here, but for me they have dated badly and are suffocating to wear.

I can only imagine these types of fragrances suiting dowagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I know these old Guerlain classics like Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are revered here, but for me they have dated badly and are suffocating to wear.

And yet they sell in enough quantities to stay in the catalogue year after year and stock Guerlain points of sale all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Absolutely! Derby is clearly descended from Mitsouko and is sometimes described as a kind of 'Mitsouko pour Homme'.
    Phew! Thanks Sam, at least I'm not alone in my assessment.

Haha! Cheers Kaern!! I'm not exactly 'cutting edge' but am hopefully not quite into dowager territory yet either...(he says adjusting his pearls and brandishing his walking stick...!)

And yet they sell in enough quantities to stay in the catalogue year after year and stock Guerlain points of sale all over the world.
    Obviously a lot of rich, old widows out there...

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Mitsouko and l’Heure Bleue will still be here after generations of what followed have fallen by the wayside, the latter having dated far worse and never having been nearly as good to begin with.
    Currently wearing: Shanghai by Lenthéric

Does anyone else find a great similarity between Mitsouko and Derby? I have a 1985 bottle of Derby and a sample of Mitsouko EDT (not sure which year/formulation) but, certainly for the first half an hour, Mitsouko REALLY reminds me of the drydown of the Derby. (prepares to be shot down in flames....!)
    When I read this, well I had to read it three times. Having come off 3 straight days of Derby wears my immediate reaction was 'I wish, but no friggin way!'

Considering the source however, I went and found my old decant of Mitsouko (edp, pre 2010 I think). Hmmm, first parts of Mitsouko and the drydown of Derby. Don't know if I'll every perceive 'great similarity' but I will say that I'm not so sure about my initial reaction. Interesting, definitely.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    When I read this, well I had to read it three times. Having come off 3 straight days of Derby wears my immediate reaction was 'I wish, but no friggin way!'

Considering the source however, I went and found my old decant of Mitsouko (edp, pre 2010 I think). Hmmm, first parts of Mitsouko and the drydown of Derby. Don't know if I'll every perceive 'great similarity' but I will say that I'm not so sure about my initial reaction. Interesting, definitely.
    Hey DuNez, I consider it a great compliment that someone I consider a Basenotes stalwart and who's contributions I enjoy reading would not only read my post (albeit 3 times in bemused disbelief) but would take time to explore the crazy observation I shared. Thank-you!

Not that it matters particularly but may I ask which version of Derby you've been wearing? I've smelled old and new, as it were, and can't detect a huge difference but as my recent observations prove, my nose is probably not the most sophisticated...!

Dependent

Have any of you Mitsouko lovers worn ALD's Antiquity?

I've been told there is a strong similarity, and, as I'm head over heels in love with Antiquity, I'm curious about Mitsouko.

Also, which strength is preferred here? I've heard (and read) differing opinions, and its very confusing to a newbie trying to figure out which one to try. Extrait? EdC? EdT? EdP??? Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhh too many choices!! *head explodes*

Didn't quite detect these similarities. Both share oakmoss and vetiver in the base. Mitsouko has some spices and oriental in the base while Derby has leather, patchouli, and sandalwood.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Didn't quite detect these similarities. Both share oakmoss and vetiver in the base. Mitsouko has some spices and oriental in the base while Derby has leather, patchouli, and sandalwood.
    I've always held the opinion Mitsouko also has castoruem in it as well.

I, in blatant defiance of society's norms, am wearing Mitsouko right now! I laugh in the face of convention! Of course, there is no one else around, but still.
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

Basenotes Plus

I have never worn Mitsouko but I do wear the Mitsouko inspired Diaghilev occasionally and always receive positive reactions from both men and women.
    Current Winter Favorites
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    Xerjoff Naxos
    MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait
    Pure Distance M
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Dior Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'instant de Guerlain Extreme
    Clive Christian X Twist Tabac
    Xerjoff JTC More than Words
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum

Hey DuNez, I consider it a great compliment ... would take time to explore the crazy observation I shared. Thank-you!
    ...which version of Derby you've been wearing? I've smelled old and new, as it were, and can't detect a huge difference but as my recent observations prove, my nose is probably not the most sophisticated...!
    No no. I don't see crazy, rather I think "hey, did I miss something there?" and as an enthusiast fortunate enough to have accumulated his fair share of stuff, it's interesting to compare / contrast perceptions... so, thank you for making this 'mitzy for men' discussion that much more interesting.

As for Derby... Got the Bee bottle first, then sprung for an Eagle bottle because I just had to. My nose tells me I needn't have done that but now I know. I'm sure there's a ton of opinions that those iterations are quite different, enough to matter, but that's not me and that wouldn't be anything new.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    No no. I don't see crazy, rather I think "hey, did I miss something there?" and as an enthusiast fortunate enough to have accumulated his fair share of stuff, it's interesting to compare / contrast perceptions... so, thank you for making this 'mitzy for men' discussion that much more interesting.

As for Derby... Got the Bee bottle first, then sprung for an Eagle bottle because I just had to. My nose tells me I needn't have done that but now I know. I'm sure there's a ton of opinions that those iterations are quite different, enough to matter, but that's not me and that wouldn't be anything new.
    I agree - the differences in perceptions are what makes this **hobby/lifestyle-choice/obsession/illness (**delete as applicable) so enjoyable as all our takes on fragrances are coloured by differing associations and experiences.

I've never smelled the Bee bottle version of Derby - just the Eagle bottle we both have (mine is a tester minus the cap - don't suppose I'll ever come across a spare one of those...!) and the rectangular wooden frame bottle (for want of a better description). I was expecting the 'frame' version to smell vastly different to the Eagle bottle given the 26 year age difference but found it remarkably similar, especially in the drydown phase.