Code of Conduct

Default Is it as easy as mixing oils in alcohol? I want to make a parfum with only 2 oils.

I want to make a scent that has musk and vanilla.

How difficult would it be to make a parfum with just 2 oils? Is there any way to predict how long the parfum would last on the skin?

Is it trial and error by mixing different concentrations of oils?

- - - Updated - - -

How expensive would it be to make 50ml of parfum?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Is it as easy as mixing oils in alcohol? I want to make a parfum with only 2 oils.

If you use the right musk, it will last as long or longer than Vanillin. Most Musks are considered as bottom notes, or fixatives. Vanillin also function in much the same way. It might just last for all day and into next week too on clothing.

I can't say that that frag would be something I would wear, because I'm a Vanilla-phobe.

Default Re: Is it as easy as mixing oils in alcohol? I want to make a parfum with only 2 oils.

I love the musk in Tom Fords Urban Musk, and the vanilla in Tobacco Vanilla. But at more than $200 a bottle and I want to know if it is possible to make it for less. It is my hope I can make a parfum that is dirty musk and the sweet vanilla. I can't get enough of musk in urban musk. I want it to smell mostly of musk, with vanilla in the background.

It is highly unlikely that you would be able to duplicate either of the fragrances named, by smell alone. And even if you did it would take many, many more materials than just two.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    It is highly unlikely that you would be able to duplicate either of the fragrances named, by smell alone. And even if you did it would take many, many more materials than just two.
    I want to recreate only the dirty musk in Urban Musk with a little vanilla to give it sweetness.

I am not trying to recreate Urban Musk or Tobacco Vanilla with all the scents. I only want 2 notes.

Is this possible to make at home? How many oils would it take to make only the dirty animalistic musc?

Is it possible to make at home? Possibly. With two oils? Maybe, if those oils are complex bases or imitations.

But the more specific concern: Is this possible for you to make at home? Barring beginner's luck, no. It doesn't seem like you have the experience you'd need to create something like you describe (not to mention with a performance that you'd find acceptable).

That said, look into some musk bases and a vanilla note that you might like (vanillin is the familiar creamy vanilla note; ethyl vanillin is stronger and is said to have more 'sparkle'; vanilla absolute will give you the shaded smell of the bean; Isobutavan is very creamsicle-sans-orange creamy; etc.) and try your hand at mixing something up. You may come up with something you'll like, but more importantly, you'll definitely learn something about the process of composing a fragrance.

You've some good advice here already if you want to learn to make perfume for yourself. Even a perfume as apparently simple as the one you are proposing is likely to end up being quite complex in terms of the number of ingredients and getting the proportions right.

However if you just want to have a two-note fragrance along the lines you describe I have several musk bases that I use in constructing fragrances of my own and all the main varieties of vanilla so I could easily either put something together for you, or sell you the ingredients to mix it yourself. By the time you've bought ethanol and bottles etc I'm not sure it will end up cheaper to make yourself though.

Just to give you an idea my musk bases have around 15 ingredients in each and are designed for different uses. Adding a vanilla note to one of those is straightforward, building one from scratch as a beginner would be a great deal harder.

Recreating the specific musk in Urban Musk will be harder still and isn't something I'd undertake except as a proper bespoke fragrance project, which would be vastly more expensive than just buying more of the Tom Ford.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by edshepp View Post
    Is it possible to make at home? Possibly. With two oils? Maybe, if those oils are complex bases or imitations.

But the more specific concern: Is this possible for you to make at home? Barring beginner's luck, no. It doesn't seem like you have the experience you'd need to create something like you describe (not to mention with a performance that you'd find acceptable).

That said, look into some musk bases and a vanilla note that you might like (vanillin is the familiar creamy vanilla note; ethyl vanillin is stronger and is said to have more 'sparkle'; vanilla absolute will give you the shaded smell of the bean; Isobutavan is very creamsicle-sans-orange creamy; etc.) and try your hand at mixing something up. You may come up with something you'll like, but more importantly, you'll definitely learn something about the process of composing a fragrance.
    Thanks! I didn't know there was more than 1 vanilla.

If I want a rich deep creamy vanilla, would I need to use more than 1 vanilla oil? Can I mix vanilla for the creamy notes with vanilla absolute to get the smell of vanilla beans? Mmmmm, that would be delicious!

Is musk the same way? Do I need to mix more than 1 musk to get a dirty sexy smelling musk? Is there any research on what musks evoke what sensations?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    You've some good advice here already if you want to learn to make perfume for yourself. Even a perfume as apparently simple as the one you are proposing is likely to end up being quite complex in terms of the number of ingredients and getting the proportions right.

However if you just want to have a two-note fragrance along the lines you describe I have several musk bases that I use in constructing fragrances of my own and all the main varieties of vanilla so I could easily either put something together for you, or sell you the ingredients to mix it yourself. By the time you've bought ethanol and bottles etc I'm not sure it will end up cheaper to make yourself though.

Just to give you an idea my musk bases have around 15 ingredients in each and are designed for different uses. Adding a vanilla note to one of those is straightforward, building one from scratch as a beginner would be a great deal harder.

Recreating the specific musk in Urban Musk will be harder still and isn't something I'd undertake except as a proper bespoke fragrance project, which would be vastly more expensive than just buying more of the Tom Ford.
    I would like to learn how to make basic parums.

How much are your musks? What are the differences between your musks? How does a pure musk smell, is it a strong smell, and does it last long? Can your musks be layered?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Thanks! I didn't know there was more than 1 vanilla.

If I want a rich deep creamy vanilla, would I need to use more than 1 vanilla oil? Can I mix vanilla for the creamy notes with vanilla absolute to get the smell of vanilla beans? Mmmmm, that would be delicious!

Is musk the same way? Do I need to mix more than 1 musk to get a dirty sexy smelling musk? Is there any research on what musks evoke what sensations?

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to learn how to make basic parums.

How much are your musks? What are the differences between your musks? How does a pure musk smell, is it a strong smell, and does it last long? Can your musks be layered?

Thank you!
    I've written up a blog post about quite a few of the musks - this covers the pure ones - I can sell several of those individually if you want, but most are available in small-ish amounts from a couple of suppliers. The musk bases I have are made up, at 10% dilution in ethanol, from a blend of 12-20 ingredients including quite a few musks. So in answer to your question, yes musks can be layered and I think they are best used that way. For a 'dirty musk' effect you probably need to include some civet and possibly something like ambrarome as well.

I'm happy to send you a price-list for all the ingredients I have for sale if you like - just drop me an email to enquiry@pellwall-perfumes.com and I'll send it on.

- - - Updated - - -

I just discovered I mistyped my email address: it is now corrected. My apologies if you've tried to get in touch and been unable to do so.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 21st January 2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Corrected email address
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Thanks for the reply. I know what I want, but don't know what concentration would make it smell how I like. My goal is a very sexy sweet sexy musk.

What do you think this would smell like?

Muscone - 25%
    l-Muscone - 25%
    Exaltone - 20%
    Ethylene brassylate - 10%
    Vanilla absolute - 7.5%
    Vanilla - 7.5%
    Civet - 5%

50% is muscone because you listed it as the sexy scent in musk. I want the erogenic quality of musk to be the major scent. The Exaltone is for the sweet musk which I think of as sexy to entice curiousity. The Ethylene brassylate was picked because I've read that everyone uses Musk-T and if it's popular then it probably should be used. The civet was added to give the musk a more sexy, grown adult vibe. I want the civit to give the feeling of a risk taker, and adventure. Now here is a big question, is 15% Vanilla enough to give it sweetness, or would the musk completely overtake the vanilla?

It would be FUN to play with just these 7 oils and see how changing the concentration of each oil would change the final parfum scents.

What do you think of those 7 ingredients?