Code of Conduct

Default Cassis/Blackcurrant synth or accord

I can't afford the bud absolute just for experimentation so have searched without success for days for a UK supplier.
    I started off bright and hopeful but although I found Givaudan do what seems to be a good Aroma-chem I have to get it from Perfumers Apprentice in US although France is only next door. Mad.
    olfactik don't have anything apart from a general fruity accord.
    I can't find even a red/black berry synth anywhere.
    Have come across a Cassis carrier oil but I think that must be more for aromatherapy use and no clue if it has fragrance.

If anyone knows of a UK or at least European supplier in small amounts I'd be very very grateful. Basenotes seems like a very helpful online community so I have my fingers crossed!

Default Re: Cassis/Blackcurrant synth or accord

Boom: http://www.hermitageoils.com/cassis-...-50-in-dpg-986 - Firmenich Cassis base.

But, keep in mind it's diluted to 50%, Hermitage have a minimum order of £20 and... Perfumer's Apprentice sell the Givaudan product undiluted and cheaper. I'll bet Chris Bartlett has some he can sell you too.

Hope that helps.

Have you tried Bucchu Oil? It is cruder and less fruity than Cassis but still has the strong cat's pee note characteristic of Cassis. You could also try to get some para menthe-8-thiole, which is the sulphurous note in Cassis; but if you do please get a solution (0.1% or lower) as it is very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Boom: http://www.hermitageoils.com/cassis-...-50-in-dpg-986 - Firmenich Cassis base.

But, keep in mind it's diluted to 50%, Hermitage have a minimum order of £20 and... Perfumer's Apprentice sell the Givaudan product undiluted and cheaper. I'll bet Chris Bartlett has some he can sell you too.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks very much for this and now I see it I think I came across this before as I have Hermitage bookmarked in my supplies folder. Still dithering as to whether I should see if I can make an order up to £20.00 as I do want some other things, or order everything from PA.

Having read, learned much from, and been thoroughly awed by Chris Bartlett I wouldn't dare ask him!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Have you tried Bucchu Oil? It is cruder and less fruity than Cassis but still has the strong cat's pee note characteristic of Cassis. You could also try to get some para menthe-8-thiole, which is the sulphurous note in Cassis; but if you do please get a solution (0.1% or lower) as it is very strong.
    Many thanks. Just checked this on Hermitage and it's not exactly inexpensive but sounds interesting! I'll definitely look at para menthe-8-thiole. However I'm taking baby steps from only ever using EOs in an oil carrier so the world of aroma chems is a bewildering place. Staggering in fact....

Basenotes Plus

The Givaudan Product is going to be as Mike Storer says, a "Disney-fied" product as opposed to the natural element. Meaning that the edgy more offensive bits have been removed or smoothed over.

The real stuff (currant buds and Buchu) is going to have more chutzpah to them ( i was thinking of using another word, but not in mixed company). I've got Buchu in my red Leather, and it really gives it quite an edgy bite, but it's certainly not for everyone. And a little dab'll do ya.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    The Givaudan Product is going to be as Mike Storer says, a "Disney-fied" product as opposed to the natural element. Meaning that the edgy more offensive bits have been removed or smoothed over.

The real stuff (currant buds and Buchu) is going to have more chutzpah to them ( i was thinking of using another word, but not in mixed company). I've got Buchu in my red Leather, and it really gives it quite an edgy bite, but it's certainly not for everyone. And a little dab'll do ya.
    Thanks. That really helps. I've been looking all over PA until my eyes feel like they're bleeding. Now completely confused by all the accords, bases and chemical aromas.
    Truth is I want something which gives me that mouthwatering zing.
    Really would appreciate in addition being pointed at just 4 or so aroma chems to start with because the more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
    15 years I've just dropped a fairly random amount of oils according to their smell and mood effect in a bottle, top up with Almond oil and happily wear or soak citrus peel and herbs in Vodka for a few months. Now I'm almost too bewildered to touch anything.

Was enchanted by your Fragrances BTW. I had a look at your site and was 'strongly' tempted by your taster set but as you don't ship to UK my bank account will take less of a beating.

So: thanks for all the excellent advice gentlemen. I'm going to buy some Buchu for now and pick a few synthetics out from Olfactik here in UK totally according to what I like the sound of or possibly the on-line equivalent of sticking a pin in the paper with my eyes shut!

'Really would appreciate in addition being pointed at just 4 or so aroma chems to start with because the more I learn the more I realise how little I know.'

Iso E Super, hedione, ambroxan, and a synthetic musk?

I've been experimenting with those four - plus lyral and a touch of rose - as a personal fragrance. It works quite well as a base layer for commercial products.

I've only been doing this whole DIY thing for a couple of months btw... so other people may have better ideas.

-
    Last edited by Skelly; 13th April 2013 at 08:25 PM.

I infuse the freeze dried fruit, and leaf for extra tomcat note. I see Firmenich use Boxwood (Buxus Sempervirens) for the latter. Wormwood may be helpful as it somehow aids raspberry growth and is the same genus as Davana which is used to add to the raspberry note. Has anyone tried Mango for the tomcat?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pickledtink View Post
    Was enchanted by your Fragrances BTW. I had a look at your site and was 'strongly' tempted by your taster set but as you don't ship to UK my bank account will take less of a beating.

I'll ship the samples to anywhere, they seem to get through OK, it's bottles that would have a problem in the UK, and would have to come by UPS, Fedex, or the like, or when someone travels back to UK from USA

In regards to Aroma Chems, once you poke your head in the cosmos, look out...!

Which gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite "Discovery" images... :-)

Peering through the cosmic sphere – illustration from ‘L’atmosphere: meteorologie populaire’,Paris 1888, by Camille Flammarion.

Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    'Really would appreciate in addition being pointed at just 4 or so aroma chems to start with because the more I learn the more I realise how little I know.'

Iso E Super, hedione, ambroxan, and a synthetic musk?

I've been experimenting with those four - plus lyral and a touch of rose - as a personal fragrance. It works quite well as a base layer for commercial products.

I've only been doing this whole DIY thing for a couple of months btw... so other people may have better ideas.

-
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I have Iso E but have not really used it yet. Also had Hedione on my order list but I'm in some sort of frozen state re aromachems. Not sure I'm really ready to use any in a useful way to be honest.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nemenator View Post
    I infuse the freeze dried fruit, and leaf for extra tomcat note. I see Firmenich use Boxwood (Buxus Sempervirens) for the latter. Wormwood may be helpful as it somehow aids raspberry growth and is the same genus as Davana which is used to add to the raspberry note. Has anyone tried Mango for the tomcat?
    After my day in my fragrance/medicinal herb/ veg garden today this resonates utterly!
    I have a country background so making wine, preserves, flower water and alcohol steeped natural liqueurs to either drink or wear is my comfort zone.
    My blackcurrant bushes are flowering and putting out leaf right now.
    Damn it! 'scuse my language in mixed company ;-)!
    I want to make my own.
    Can you tell me are you doing a steep in boiling water then leave or in alcohol infusion and for how long?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I'll ship the samples to anywhere, they seem to get through OK, it's bottles that would have a problem in the UK, and would have to come by UPS, Fedex, or the like, or when someone travels back to UK from USA

In regards to Aroma Chems, once you poke your head in the cosmos, look out...!

Which gives me an excuse to post one of my favorite "Discovery" images... :-)

Peering through the cosmic sphere – illustration from ‘L’atmosphere: meteorologie populaire’,Paris 1888, by Camille Flammarion.

That image is inspiring on so many levels. Thank you for today I spent it resultantly outside crushing and rubbing together a glorious bundle of flowers, leaves, earth, moss, lichen and a bit of Fox shit.
    I learned that nature does indeed lose the tops quickly and the heart dances to it's own tune but by god the base is there possibly till the end of time. I'm still drunk with scent of earth, moss and deep fungal promise.

Now: You may have heard that Celtic Irish Scottish people are a little bit fey, renowned for having the gift of the gab and liable to banter a little when purchase is the matter in hand?

If.
    Say.
    In total supposition I were to find myself unable to live without that shamefully desirable sample set would it be at all likely that a wee drop of Buchu or even a teensy weensy smidge of bud absolute might be found nestling innocently within?
    Only inquiring mind! My Granny who taught me everything worth knowing always said. " If you don't ask. You'll never get".
    * curtsey*.

Basenotes Plus

Pickeldtink, I'm going to respond privately...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes