Code of Conduct

Default Fossil amber tincture

I have a substantial amount of latvian amber (I lived in Riga long time ago). How can I correctly mix it in alcohol so I can use mixture for my perfume formula?

Default Re: Fossil amber tincture

Look to Profumo because he made one....

here

Thank you mumsy! Great link!

Anyone here did it? Should I use dark or lighter amber? 10 % tincture not higher? How many days should I wait and where do I keep the mixture? (Dark place, cold place?)

I've never done this with amber as he has. If you are going to the bother of making it then use both and compare. I'm fairly sure that he published the results too somewhere. Google for them and you will find something or ask him. I would hazard a guess that we weren't talking days here but months and years.

As general tincture guidelines, then always use the very best quality material available to you. To grind or crush or pulverise in the method that suited the medium best. This would be to gain the maximum surface area of solvency or aroma infusion area. It doesn't matter what concentration as long as you record it. For a weak material then more suitable to be a stronger version, and vice versa. The point is that you want full saturation, but at the same time you do not want an oversaturated tincture to stop absorbing anything available. A fine balance. I would suggest warm but not too warm for the first while then cooler to mature. Then daily or constant agitation using manual methods, magnetic stirrers, machines or sonics.

Read up as much as you can as other people have different methods. Then just play if it is your bag.

Bear in mind if all you want to do is obtain the ingredient, then for the time it takes, you may as well just buy some if it is available. Making tinctures is for the love of doing so and there is a considerable investment in alcohol just sitting about unused whilst they mature. Another reason to make them stronger then dilute later. Some of my tinctures are three years old. Patience is the main key. I am a tincture fiend... it is one of my favourite pursuits but then again I like making wines for much the same reasons. They take even longer.

Basenotes Plus

Did you all see my picture for Gold Leather with the big Amber Chunk?

And the reviewer called it "The Scent of Light".

Page down for English translation, unless you read Spanish...

http://tedevioletas.wordpress.com/20...oma-de-la-luz/

Personally, I like the Fossilized Amber from Eden Botanicals:
    http://www.edenbotanicals.com/produc...ossilized.html
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I actually bought Eden Botanicals amber this morning, along with hawaiian sandalwood and few other things.

Will be interesting to compare it with baltic amber tincture I will make. I have beautiful raw amber that ranges from sun light yellow to almost red and grey.

Just be careful with thinking something is "raw amber" or "pure amber". Usually an amber is like a curry, just a mix of things. That's not a bad thing. That is the case for Eden's amber, which has a formula that has varied over the years (used to be lots of myrrh, now not so much, etc). There are some things that are considered pure amber, some of them virtually without scent, even. But these aren't necessarily the things you want for your perfume. Just a caveat. Carry on.

I bought it at the source, back in very early 90's so hopefully it is of good quality. Anyway the damage has been done and it's a waiting game now

It was thought since the 1850s that the resin that became amber was produced by the tree Pinites succinifer, but research in the 1980s came to the conclusion that the resin originates from several species. More recently it has been proposed, on the evidence of Fourier-transform infrared microspectroscopy (FTIR) analysis of amber and resin from living trees, that conifers of the family Sciadopityaceae were responsible.[2] The only extant representative of this family is the Japanese umbrella pine, Sciadopitys verticillata.
    Last edited by outline; 29th April 2013 at 07:08 PM.