Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Linalool % of concentrate?

    First attempts using synthetics not exactly great. In fact I have just produced possibly the most revolting pong ever.

    Everything I've read seems to suggest it's a pretty good all rounder. I checked the % and although just by the harsh nostril stinging belt I'm sure I've used too much for the mix it comes in @ 8%. I've seen guidelines ranging from 12-40%. I'd only intended to go for 4% but enthusiasm got the better of me.

    I know this is all part of the rich tapestry of learning but I really didn't expect such a horror story.
    I have yet to let it sit for a week or so but I really am pretty certain it's vile.

    Any advice as to why Linalool has turned something that was going OK into a total stinker? Or some idea as to what Linalool is 'more' or 'less' likely to work with?

  2. #2
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Linalool % of concentrate?

    LOL no advice, I'm probably newer than you, but have sincere admiration for your turn of phrase.

    Have you been doing as books/sages of the board advise, and as you're training your nose, learning aroma chems, also take one chem and do simple mixes of 1 or 2 others, at differing ratios & strengths, to get a sense of how each interact with others? From what I've read in more than one text, actual practical experience of this is the only genuine way to really understand the ways these oils interact is by systematically doing, and using focused observation, to learn this.

  3. #3
    gido's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,251

    Default Re: Linalool % of concentrate?

    it could be several things. for one instance, what eo's are you using? many oils contain linalool, several quite a lot of it. if you mix a couple of these, and then add extra synthetic linalool, it becomes easily too much.

    why don't you try 4% as intended, or could it be that it simply does not fit in your composition? while one perfume is blessed with a lot of linalool, another one is better off without it.
    Last edited by gido; 15th May 2013 at 06:54 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Linalool % of concentrate?

    Feel like putting your ponky formulae here and then we can advise you better?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Linalool % of concentrate?

    That all makes perfect sense. I really hadn't thought through that the EOs could/would already have some Linolool in composition. Lightbulb moment! Many thanks. I'd decided today to do as you say and try 4%, nothing at all and a few other things instead. This is my first time use of aromachem so a nasty shock but probably a first lesson well learned
    Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    it could be several things. for one instance, what eo's are you using? many oils contain linalool, several quite a lot of it. if you mix a couple of these, and then add extra synthetic linalool, it becomes easily too much.

    why don't you try 4% as intended, or could it be that it simply does not fit in your composition? while one perfume is blessed with a lot of linalool, another one is better off without it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Linalool % of concentrate?

    Try something like a floral absolute, if you have a heavy smelling jasmin abs for example, and add 0.5 - 1% linalool (as a percentage of the finished product) and you should see the freshening effect it has. It's very useful for floral blends.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Linalool % of concentrate?

    Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Feel like putting your ponky formulae here and then we can advise you better?
    from what Gido kindly clearly advised I think I can see what's happened.
    Everything I used is well known to me which is why I chose this lot to try adding aromachems.
    So: Citrus top with Clary Sage bridge into green florals with juniper and a woody oakmoss base with some Frankincense. Also trying to work in some Ylang Ylang but not too sure if I can make that work anyway.
    I need to do some homework on which oils already have it but I'm now guessing everything has been 'sharpened'. Don't know yet but I guess there may already be linalool in citrus oils?
    The florals got completely trashed, lost all the sweet heady richness as this has brought out a strident quality. Think cheap cleaning product.
    By the time it got to base it was no longer offensive just meaaahh. It actually smells a bit kinder and softer today but was far better without anything.
    From what Gido has said and my constant pondering and sniffing it's like it projected everything sharp and killed the melody so I ended up with a long loud screech followed by a whimper.
    Yes. My first ever Synth perfume: I can see the advert even now. Some anorexic cadaver stumbles into view and drags her nails down a blackboard then the name appears across the screen: SCREECH!

    - - - Updated - - -

    That's very helpful too. Frankly if I hadn't made such a mess of this I wouldn't have had a reference point so all this excellent advice makes sense because of it. Every cloud etc. I have no Jasmine absolute but I understand what you're saying, I think, and 8% was far too much as well as being the totally wrong addition to these oils. I've got some Methyl dihydrojasmonate. I wonder if that might be more the thing......
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Try something like a floral absolute, if you have a heavy smelling jasmin abs for example, and add 0.5 - 1% linalool (as a percentage of the finished product) and you should see the freshening effect it has. It's very useful for floral blends.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarletj View Post
    LOL no advice, I'm probably newer than you, but have sincere admiration for your turn of phrase.

    Have you been doing as books/sages of the board advise, and as you're training your nose, learning aroma chems, also take one chem and do simple mixes of 1 or 2 others, at differing ratios & strengths, to get a sense of how each interact with others? From what I've read in more than one text, actual practical experience of this is the only genuine way to really understand the ways these oils interact is by systematically doing, and using focused observation, to learn this.
    You are of course absolutely right. Practice makes perfect, eventually. I knew I'd make some mistakes but it was so bad I was badly shaken for a moment. If nothing else I have managed to perfectly mimic the magnificent scent of Fly Spray.

  8. #8

    Default


    Gosh. Well that just about covers it, although to be really picky I have to point out that the Headspace products don't really exist, they are the results of a Headspace analysis.



    Note: This post was imported from the Huddler forum software, and may have missing images or strange formatting. More info here.




Similar Threads

  1. Citrus / Linalool
    By Asha in forum Note Pad: Single Note Exploration
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th January 2016, 03:35 PM
  2. Linalool vs Dimetol
    By numberz in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd May 2013, 05:31 PM
  3. Spices / Ethyl Linalool
    By Asha in forum Note Pad: Single Note Exploration
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th January 2011, 12:48 AM
  4. How do I thin out a concentrate
    By stormtrooper in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th February 2009, 08:30 PM
  5. YSL PH vs. YSL PH Haute Concentrate
    By MisterK in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th June 2005, 10:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000