Code of Conduct
Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 176 177 178
Results 5,311 to 5,334 of 5334

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Eilenberg View Post
    I was pretty underwhelmed with the new Norne (silver cap). Perhaps I set my expectations too high but after reading all overzealous posts about it on the internet I expected it to be the Holy Grail of dark coniferous scents. I was really excited to finally get my hands on a bottle as coniferous fragrances are my favourite genre. However, what I got instead was a dark but rather predominantly spicy scent. Dark in the way that Maggi seasoning smells "dark" not a dark forest "dark". This spicy aspect reminds me a lot of 20Mars2022 by Rundholz Parfums. After this initial blast of spices some foresty aspects indeed come out but Norne for me is rather a study of resinous aspects of conifers. I guess there's a lesson in all of that, to manage your expectations right when it comes to scents with cult online following
    I have not smelled the new batch yet had the same issue with Norne (black cap) when I finally got it a year ago. Oh man, but since then it - or my nose - has developed beautifully. Much more forest in there now. The spicy aspects took a step back and it got deeper and even darker. Maybe let it sit for a while and come back to it when autumn falls. I'm really glad that I was patient with it

I've seen this many times - people writing paeans of praise for discontinued or very scarcely available fragrances. This causes people who are interested in the scent to have a very strong opinion about it before even trying it, merely by reading others' opinions for a long time. Then they finally test the scent and these strong preconceptions of what to expect most likely affect their perception
    It seems you're describing yourself here. You said in the previous post that you had got your expectations up based on what you had read.

I would suggest that that the disconnect comes from what people think of as a coniferous scent. You say it seems to concentrate on the resinous aspects of conifers. To me that is exactly what I look for in such a scent, and I would guess so would the people who rate Norne so highly. If you're looking for other aspects ( the dark forest perhaps), then I can see why you might be disappointed. But to say everyone else is blinded by the 'hype' because they don't look for the same aspects as you is slightly ingenuous.

Oh no, I'm actually not alone in it! I was so perplexed by how different than I expected it smells that I had to give it to a friend of mine who actually worked in the industry and has been into fragrances for decades. I just asked him what does he think without suggesting anything to hear as unbiased opinion as possible and this absolutely brilliant and spot-on (imo) "Maggi seasoning" comparison came from him.

I agree with your comment about different people possibly having different perceptions of the same scent. However, I am afraid that the cult aspect of the fragrance is also a contributing factor here. I've seen this many times - people writing paeans of praise for discontinued or very scarcely available fragrances. This causes people who are interested in the scent to have a very strong opinion about it before even trying it, merely by reading others' opinions for a long time. Then they finally test the scent and these strong preconceptions of what to expect most likely affect their perception and in turn also cause them to exaggerate opinions they share. A snowball effect of sorts. At some point, these opinions simply detach themselves from reality. This seems, to some extent, to be true with the case of Norne, too.

That being said, don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Norne here. It's a good fragrance. Just not really what one could expect by reading (perhaps too many) opinions about it online.
    I, myself, don't see Norne as a coniferous centered perfume either. I get a huge blast of clove, smoke, and then, the fir balsam. It's a beautiful spicy-coniferous scent, and of course, it might come across different to everyone. I have the black cap version, and mine only got spicier since I got it, which I am ok with, I really love the clove cooling effect that I get from it.

Oh no, I'm actually not alone in it! I was so perplexed by how different than I expected it smells that I had to give it to a friend of mine who actually worked in the industry and has been into fragrances for decades. I just asked him what does he think without suggesting anything to hear as unbiased opinion as possible and this absolutely brilliant and spot-on (imo) "Maggi seasoning" comparison came from him.

I agree with your comment about different people possibly having different perceptions of the same scent. However, I am afraid that the cult aspect of the fragrance is also a contributing factor here. I've seen this many times - people writing paeans of praise for discontinued or very scarcely available fragrances. This causes people who are interested in the scent to have a very strong opinion about it before even trying it, merely by reading others' opinions for a long time. Then they finally test the scent and these strong preconceptions of what to expect most likely affect their perception and in turn also cause them to exaggerate opinions they share. A snowball effect of sorts. At some point, these opinions simply detach themselves from reality. This seems, to some extent, to be true with the case of Norne, too.

That being said, don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Norne here. It's a good fragrance. Just not really what one could expect by reading (perhaps too many) opinions about it online.
    You're reading way too much into it. First of all, there's no cult-like community behind Slumberhouse, just a bunch of people enjoying Josh's creations, which are undoubtly one of the best in the market at the moment, so it sells out very fast, that's about it. Also, i've never really experienced a better forest-like fragrance since Norne. Sounds like you got your expectations way too high and also imagining stuff about the brand.

Wow, so many replies in a few hours. These forums can be really fast at times.

Great to hear that all three of you had personally such great experiences with Norne! I still think that this is a very competent spicy scent. Not quite what it is marketed as by some of the users though. You're absolutely right mszigetihu about the expectations - I've got them way too high after reading all the paeans online. Lesson learned and I definitely don't have anyone to blame for it but myself because I should've known better already after being disappointed in other almost uncritically praised, cult fragrances like Norma Kamali's Incense or some Areej Le Dores going for exorbitant prices.
    Last edited by Eilenberg; 19th April 2021 at 07:19 PM.

Dependent

Wow, so many replies in a few hours. These forums can be really fast at times.

Great to hear that all three of you had personally such great experiences with Norne! I still think that this is a very competent spicy scent. Not quite what it is marketed as by some of the users though. You're absolutely right mszigetihu about the expectations - I've got them way too high after reading all the paeans online. Lesson learned and I definitely don't have anyone to blame for it by myself because I should've known better after being disappointed in other almost uncritically praised, cult fragrances like Norma Kamali's Incense or some Areej Le Dores going for exorbitant prices.
    One thing you’ll notice about this group is that people have a hard time accepting anything that’s not universal praise for these scents. I found norne to be an underwhelming clove dominant resinous perfume. It’s not my cup of tea at all and there’s other coniferous scents that scratch that itch differently and in my opinion better. Here at basenotes there is a cult like following regardless of what people say. They just don’t realize it because they’re in the cult themselves. Heck I’m in it too but I keep my opinions away from this thread because people get really worked up if you have an experience that’s different from their own.

Thankfully Josh has a wide array of scents and styles and his new direction is completely different than some of the older classic releases. I’d say try and sample if possible and email Josh directly.
    Currently wearing: Lustre by Hiram Green

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    One thing you’ll notice about this group is that people have a hard time accepting anything that’s not universal praise for these scents
    It's in your head. I've been following this thread for long years now and it's not a thing here at all.

A hit dog will holler. Funny to see two mean-spirited comments in a row trying to disregard differing opinions and defending a brand (when no one is really criticising it in the first place!) in response to merely mentioning a cult-like following haha. That's what forums are for - discussion. This very thread is great proof for some cult surrounding Slumberhouse. One can try but it's hard to discuss with facts.

Castingshadows, I absolutely agree with this part " I found norne to be an underwhelming clove dominant resinous perfume. It’s not my cup of tea at all and there’s other coniferous scents that scratch that itch differently and in my opinion better." of your post. I know well that I'm not the only one thinking that but it's reassuring to see someone here who thinks this way, too. Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will definitely look into other Josh's releases that perhaps are better than Norne. I was really impressed with his Sadane (albeit it's not really my cup of tea) and Kiste. The latter would be a full bottle worthy for me if I didn't own already Or du Serail by Duchaufour that does this kind of honeyed-fruity sweet tobacco better.

A hit dog will holler. Funny to see two mean-spirited comments in a row trying to disregard differing opinions and defending a brand (when no one is really criticising it in the first place!) in response to merely mentioning a cult-like following haha. That's what forums are for - discussion. This very thread is great proof for some cult surrounding Slumberhouse. One can try but it's hard to discuss with facts.

Castingshadows, I absolutely agree with this part " I found norne to be an underwhelming clove dominant resinous perfume. It’s not my cup of tea at all and there’s other coniferous scents that scratch that itch differently and in my opinion better." of your post. I know well that I'm not the only one thinking that but it's reassuring to see someone here who thinks this way, too. Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will definitely look into other Josh's releases that perhaps are better than Norne. I was really impressed with his Sadane (albeit it's not really my cup of tea) and Kiste. The latter would be a full bottle worthy for me if I didn't own already Or du Serail by Duchaufour that does this kind of honeyed-fruity sweet tobacco better.
    Eilenberg, what kind of a climate do you live in? I know my friend Castingshadows lives in a hot dry climate and I live in a cold wet one. We often differ on what we get from samples that we send each other. Since you both have a similar perception of this scent, I thought maybe you live in a similar climate.

As for “cults” or whatever, I’d try not to let it bother you. People like what they like and when it’s something quite underground, threads like these are places where people get together to appreciate them. Most of the world doesn’t give two thoughts to an indie perfumer from the blackmetal world. So in the small corner of the Internet where we do, we tend to talk about how much we do like him. Keep that in mind before any blind buys and you should be alright. :-)
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

That is great to hear. Thanks for chiming in! Miss your presence here deadidol.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    He's fine and Luckyscent is just selling through their stock super fast; he's producing far more for his retailers than he usually does these days. Supply-chain logistics tend to hold things up here and there (capgate / engraving), but he's been churning it out it just sells fast. New stuff in the pipeline, a few limited releases, and move into a "summer" line up is imminent. I know better than to make any definitive statements these days, though

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Miss your presence here deadidol.
    Thanks, Ryan! Hope you're good!

If you've only experienced Baque, Norne, Ore, Jeke, Kiste, Sova, Grev, and Sadanne, what would you try next? And are the older offerings worth hunting down?
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by StopTalkingAboutFragrance View Post
    If you've only experienced Baque, Norne, Ore, Jeke, Kiste, Sova, Grev, and Sadanne, what would you try next?
    Sibet.

If you've only experienced Baque, Norne, Ore, Jeke, Kiste, Sova, Grev, and Sadanne, what would you try next? And are the older offerings worth hunting down?
    1) Try whatever you can get your hands on Honestly though, try and get samples because....

2) Realistically.... for the most part no, they're simply aren't very good as compositions. It's a great idea to try them, and if you're a collector, knock yourself out since it's really interesting to watch his skills as a perfumer improve over the years.... I will put in two exceptions here (as far as his older stuff being not as good as the newer): Zahd and Sixes and Sevens. (6&7s being probably his best work that still manages to be both an excellent example of the art and undeniably Slumberhouse)

Basenotes Plus

Wearing my flask New Sibet for the first time since last summer. Seems like a lot has happened in this bottle since then. The ash and leather accords are really speaking now whereas before it was mainly the Iris, goat hair and carnation. I should compare it with my new bottle of Sibet and see what’s what...

Fjerne is quite easy to get at this point and really good. Also Brosse, which might be hard to get.

Wishing that it were otherwise for it’s become my favorite fragrance, FJERNE however does not seem easy to obtain; it’s run was limited to the initial release of 30mL bottles and a smaller release of 100mL bottles, and the stock is now depleted save for some marginal amount in Josh’s casket which isn’t being released commercially. I sought around for more FJERNE last year and unless I missed an update, there’s been no change of status.

Quote Originally Posted by mszigetihu View Post
    Fjerne is quite easy to get at this point and really good. Also Brosse, which might be hard to get.
    Favorites (in no specific order):
    Fjerne (Slumberhouse)
    MAAI (Bogue)
    Bond T (Sammarco)
    Santos (vintage) (Cartier)
    Feu Secret (Fazzolari) and New Sibet (Slumberhouse)
    Eau d'Hermes (vintage) (Hermes)
    Ruh (original) (Pekji)
    Realoud (Phoenicia)
    Oud Picante (Areej LeDore)
    Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    R de Capucci (Capucci)
    Patchouli Nobile (Nobile 1942)

Pear + Olive is worth hunting down IMO.

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions everyone. Super helpful. I'm stuck in a rabbit hole of Sibet and Fjerne reviews. Zahd and 6s & 7s were at the top of my list previously but probably unicorns at this point. Pear+Olive seems very interesting too but never find video reviews in favor. I'm on the hunt
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions everyone. Super helpful. I'm stuck in a rabbit hole of Sibet and Fjerne reviews. Zahd and 6s & 7s were at the top of my list previously but probably unicorns at this point. Pear+Olive seems very interesting too but never find video reviews in favor. I'm on the hunt
    Six & Sevens is da bomb! If you find it buy it immediately!!
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Wearing my flask New Sibet for the first time since last summer. Seems like a lot has happened in this bottle since then. The ash and leather accords are really speaking now whereas before it was mainly the Iris, goat hair and carnation. I should compare it with my new bottle of Sibet and see what’s what...
    And yet the irony is that the 'flask" bottle is the "New" Sibet, and the new bottle is not the new Sibet. LOL...
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    And yet the irony is that the 'flask" bottle is the "New" Sibet, and the new bottle is not the new Sibet. LOL...
    Well, I suppose we could start a rumor that the current batch in circulation was in fact, the first batch Josh made while the newest batch he produced was what he actually released in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Well, I suppose we could start a rumor that the current batch in circulation was in fact, the first batch Josh made while the newest batch he produced was what he actually released in 2016.
    *Tin foil hat intensifies*
    If you can smell me you're too close.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

I know this thread is for discussing Slumberhouse, but does anyone here have any experience with the house Filigree & Shadow? They are based out of Seattle and their fragrances follow a similar theme to Slumberhouse in that they are named after songs in the Alternative/Shoegaze/Rock genre, e.g. Pale Saints, Wax & Wane, Sixteen Days, etc. I just thought that was interesting.
    If you can smell me you're too close.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 176 177 178