Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge or Serge Lutens A La Nuit

I am trying to decide between Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge and Serge Lutens A La Nuit. If you have worn both, could you let me know how different they are and which one you prefer? Assuming price difference is not a factor.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge or Serge Lutens A La Nuit

I prefer A La Nuit, I find it's singular intensity of the jasmine note and radiant fecal floral aura preferable over the orientalized woody Jasmine Rouge. When it comes to jasmine scents, I still have not found a scent better than A La Nuit.

I'm assuming you've tested both.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Blog Entries

To my nose, A La Nuit is a greener jasmine, whereas Jasmin Rouge is warmer, woodier & more creamy.

l personally would not buy either. Although A La Nuit seems to be widely regarded as the reference jasmine, l find the longevity very poor.
    And Jasmin Rouge smells almost exactly like Givenchy's Organza, which l already own.

What is it that attracts you to these two in particular?

lf you want to know my reference jasmine, it's Montale's Jasmin Full; a strong & long-lasting, glorious jasmine with honeysuckle & orange blossom.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I agree with Mike. A La Nuit is the closest to real night blooming jasmine that I have ever smelled, it's just beautiful.

I just reviewed them both over in my Jasmine Sniff-Fest thread. For me, it's hands down A La Nuit, a bright joy of a fragrance. I bought a bottle. I found the Tom Ford too spicey-funky. However, my Jasmines of choice so far, are: Creed's Imperatrice Eugenie, Jasmin Full by Montale, A La Nuit, tied with Jasmine by Demeter. I'm not done sniffing, though.

Kinda with Teardrop on neither. ALN doesn't last very long on my skin either....and it stays very close to the skin. If I had to choose one, I'd pick ALN. Jasmin Full is nice but too green and honeysuckle-y for my tastes. But worth trying for sure. I think if you'd like a Serge Lutens jasmine..to go with Sarrasins, I think it lasted longer on my skin, though a bit musky for my tastes.If you don't mind musk, I'd say to try it. I didn't think much of Jasmin Rouge but will have to re-sniff it. Love and Tears by Kilian lasts a good while on me. I'd recommend Sarrasins or Love and Tears. Or if you do want that greener jasmine, Jasmin Full. I'd say to sample first before you buy, so you know what you are getting.
    Last edited by kalli; 23rd November 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Thank you all for your opinions. I only sniffed Jasmin Rouge and I love it. To me Jasmin Rouge has the right amount of sweetness. It does not smell like heavy oriental but rather fresh. It is more complicated than Annick Goutal's Le Jasmin soliflore, which I own. The dry down of Jasmin Rouge is rather disappointing though, weak and unspectacular.

I never sniffed A La Nuit. However, pretty much every negative review I read about Jasmin Rouge was raving about A La Nuit. So that got me curious. I'm contemplating of buying A La Nuit blind.

Quite a few people mentioned the fecal note in A La Nuit. I can't imagine exactly how it smells like. I'm sure no one wants to smell like poop in public so my guess is it's just a hint. Can someone describe this fecal note in more details to me? I own four Serge Lutens: Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Fille en Aiguilles, and Feminite Du Bois. Is this fecal note present in any of these four? If so, I'd like to have a hard sniff tonight and see whether I can detect it. So far, I haven't detected any dirty fecal note in the four Lutens I own. But it could be me not knowing what to look for.

The "fecal" note is not literal, it's the sultry, indolic, musky note of deep white florals (vintage ones, like joy or My Sin, that is, modern white florals being quite clean and shrill). It is not present in any of the other Lutens you cite. If you like a deep, rich jasmine, ALN is good. But as usual, at those prices, you should try first.

As kalli was saying, I cannot help but think that Sarrasins is better, because it has jasmine together with leather and fruits, and it smells more complex and interesting. Unfortuntely, it's a paris exclusive and here in the us it would cost a fortune.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    Thank you all for your opinions. I only sniffed Jasmin Rouge and I love it. To me Jasmin Rouge has the right amount of sweetness. It does not smell like heavy oriental but rather fresh. It is more complicated than Annick Goutal's Le Jasmin soliflore, which I own. The dry down of Jasmin Rouge is rather disappointing though, weak and unspectacular.

I never sniffed A La Nuit. However, pretty much every negative review I read about Jasmin Rouge was raving about A La Nuit. So that got me curious. I'm contemplating of buying A La Nuit blind.

Quite a few people mentioned the fecal note in A La Nuit. I can't imagine exactly how it smells like. I'm sure no one wants to smell like poop in public so my guess is it's just a hint. Can someone describe this fecal note in more details to me? I own four Serge Lutens: Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Fille en Aiguilles, and Feminite Du Bois. Is this fecal note present in any of these four? If so, I'd like to have a hard sniff tonight and see whether I can detect it. So far, I haven't detected any dirty fecal note in the four Lutens I own. But it could be me not knowing what to look for.
    I bought ALN blind based on all the raves and I'm thrilled with it. However, it's in the minority. I didn't like most of my initial blind buys so now I sample first. I don't detect a fecal note in it. However, I'm learning to paying attention to niche houses. Someone suggested Magnificent Scent Untitled #1 to me and a sample arrived today. It really is one of the most magnificent Jasmines I've ever smelled. Can't wait to compare it to my other favorites.

alN is traditional.
    JR is modern.

Both nice.
    Both different.
    for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

l don't get any faecal note in A La Nuit. lf you want to know what a really "poopy" jasmine smells like, get a sample of Bruno Acampora Jasmin, it's filthy!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l don't get any faecal note in A La Nuit. lf you want to know what a really "poopy" jasmine smells like, get a sample of Bruno Acampora Jasmin, it's filthy!
    Damn straight!
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I bought ALN blind based on all the raves and I'm thrilled with it. However, it's in the minority. I didn't like most of my initial blind buys so now I sample first. I don't detect a fecal note in it. However, I'm learning to paying attention to niche houses. Someone suggested Magnificent Scent Untitled #1 to me and a sample arrived today. It really is one of the most magnificent Jasmines I've ever smelled. Can't wait to compare it to my other favorites.
    Scentfan,

it was me who suggested Magnetic Scent untitled Number 1 .......... Sypros Drosopoulos put so much work into that scent. He very kindly had let me smell some of the precusors to this and there were about eighty all up! But he wanted to captured the jasmine I talked about, running home at night when the jasmine fills the air. For me it will always be the best jasmine in front of A la Nuit which is a beautiful perfume!

He doesn't make great amounts of his perfumes........but for me he is an incredible talent and a person who can guide you through something very complex with such patience and kindness.

On a side note his other perfumes are incredible (including the chai tea one). He is working on a fragrance for his daughter who likes flower bomb ( that just throws me) so that should be very interesting, and then he has many requests for what people have suggested.

Really hope you enjoy this fragrance.....whenever I am a little homesick, or remember my childhood, Number 1 brings it all back.

regards

searoses
    "Be realistic, demand the impossible “...Che Guevara
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Basenotes Institution

Ohhh, where can one smell his fragrances, I was wondering?

I vote for A La Nuit. In the Tom Ford, the jasmine is not the main player. If you like jasmine, also try SL Sarrasins. Jasmine and leather.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

"Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."

Thank you all. I just received the full bottle Jasmin Rouge. Indeed, it is a warm and spicy jasmin, which I did not notice as much when I sniffed in Neiman Marcus. Fortunately, I still like it. I also ordered an A La Nuit sample from STC. Can't wait to receive it and compare.

Glad you liked your purchase, sunflower.

I didn't know Sarrasins is a Paris exclusive..very interesting!

This MS No. 1, where to try it?

Jasmin Rouge is boringly synthetic in a bad way to me.
    We want a niche forum.

I hate to be the butt who resurrects a year-old thread but...any more word on "Magnificent Scents"? I was intrigued to read the few words briefly mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Casiquire View Post
    I hate to be the butt who resurrects a year-old thread but...any more word on "Magnificent Scents"? I was intrigued to read the few words briefly mentioned here.
    Hi Casiquire, I have a bottle of Magnetic Scent Untitled #1 and it is indeed a must smell for anyone who enjoys jasmine (that would be me). It is centred on Jasmine Sambac and States then Indigo perfume still appears to have stocks. The creator Spyro has a new website (http://www.baruti.eu/#perfumes). I was looking for a jasmine to replace Nuda by Nasomatto which is another sultry jasmine that has been discontinued. If you are looking for a jasmine perfume there was a wonderfully informative thread by Scent Fan which reviews many of them.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Aaaah, it's "Magnetic" Scent. That makes all the difference. Thanks for the info! Unfortunately it doesn't look like any jasmine made it into the Baruti line. I wonder if there's any way of convincing the perfumer to reconsider. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Casiquire View Post
    Aaaah, it's "Magnetic" Scent. That makes all the difference. Thanks for the info! Unfortunately it doesn't look like any jasmine made it into the Baruti line. I wonder if there's any way of convincing the perfumer to reconsider. Thanks again!
    You can still get a bottle given you live in the States it seems to be available here http://www.indigoperfumery.com/magnetic-scent. Other jasmine solifores thats have that indolic quality are Rodin, Jasmine Full, Clair Obscur and Intelligent Nutrients who do a lovely jasmine (sambac) oil. If you like the jasmine paired with tuberose Nasomatto Narcotic Venus is also worth a sniff.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

PalmBeach is offering splits of Lutens Sarrasins on his Splits thread.
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi