Code of Conduct

Thread: Indolene

Default Indolene

Hmm.. While we're on the roll with AC questions..
    I've started exploring indolene yesterday.. I dontw really trust the source, so it might be off. It doesn't smell like what most descriptions say.. It does smell animalic, but more like urine. It smells like a urine, wood and citrus brew to me, not fecal nor jasmine. I also checked some cis jasmone from the same source, and they kind of remind me of one another (even after a day has passed..).
    I've also tried adding it to some non floral bkend I have lying around, and at about 4% I still sense no difference.. That blend consists of just base notes.. Is there a better way to test its affect? Should a few middle note AC bring the effect forward?

Or should I just get all those ACs from a different supplier?

Thanks

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Indolene

Hi Nizan,

difficult as it is to describe scents, and off-scents, i'll give you my 2 cents: Indole(ne) smells to me like 100% bad-breath. If you recognize that, it's probably good. ;-)
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

Hmm.. Never smelled a breath this bad.. Anyhow, it seems that we agree it's not fecal
    After a little bit experimenting, I figured I can smell it pretty strongly at 6% when it's on my
    skin in that blend. I just couldn't smell it on the strip. And 6% is too much!
    I also figured out that it 'needs' something sweet to work on, otherwise it just smells disgusting -
    It was in a blend with labdanum and spikenard, which just amplified the urine element. However,
    in another blend of labdanum and C18, it gave the C18 some depth. I guess it works by adding
    volume by contrasting sweet notes..
    Danke

Indolene is the reaction product between Indole and Hydroxycitronellal. It is usually sold as a solution in Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde (well it used to). It is similar to Indole but more floral; so have to disagree with you JS. Perfect for a Jasmin base.

cis Jasmone reminds me, a bit, of celery. if your jasmine smells like Indolene, there is something very wrong. Were they delivered in the same package? If so, it is possible that the Indolene has contaminated the Jasmone. Or it could be that the quality of your chemicals is crap.

They were in the same package, but there was a lot of isolation between bottles. However,
    some of the chemicals in the package smell pretty similar to me..
    I does remind me of cooked celery a bit.. maybe it's not too bad. But cooked celery smells
    like urine to me, as does the indolene. I guess I will try to get at least one of them from a
    different vendor to figure if it's me that's off, or the chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Indolene is the reaction product between Indole and Hydroxycitronellal. It is usually sold as a solution in Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde (well it used to). It is similar to Indole but more floral; so have to disagree with you JS. Perfect for a Jasmin base.

cis Jasmone reminds me, a bit, of celery. if your jasmine smells like Indolene, there is something very wrong. Were they delivered in the same package? If so, it is possible that the Indolene has contaminated the Jasmone. Or it could be that the quality of your chemicals is crap.

i have same problem with indolene which made by my self, combine 2 mole indole and 1 mole hydroxycitronellal under heating (90-100)'C and than solve it into DEP. The product has a liquid pale brown (in literatur, arctender, writed that the colour is pale amber and not pourable at room temperature). the methode I use based on arctender. and yaa.. it smell not like literature, more animalic and less floral. my quetion is.. is the method I use is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Sucindryati View Post
    i have same problem with indolene which made by my self, combine 2 mole indole and 1 mole hydroxycitronellal under heating (90-100)'C and than solve it into DEP. The product has a liquid pale brown (in literatur, arctender, writed that the colour is pale amber and not pourable at room temperature). the methode I use based on arctender. and yaa.. it smell not like literature, more animalic and less floral. my quetion is.. is the method I use is correct?
    Obviously not. How long did you leave the mixture to heat? Did you try to remove water?
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 11th June 2017 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Obviously not. How long did yu leave the mixture to heat? Did you try to remove water?
    around 2 hours under heating... I guess that the heating will remove the water spontaniously while the heat reach 90 celcious, so I didn't do other treatment on this case