Code of Conduct

Default DIY Smelling Strips

Once upon a time I ran out of smelling strips. I went out and bought a book of watercolor paper. Strathmore Watercolor Paper 140 lb. to be exact. It is acid free and cheap. I cut it into strips and it does the job perfectly.

Figured I'd give out the one good tip I have.

Default Re: DIY Smelling Strips

Good to know that regular watercolor acid free works well. I guess the acid free part is important.

cacio

Dependent

That's exactly what I use, I prefer the hot press because cold press is rough.
    Justin E. Beasley

Thanks for this!

Well Jacinta I can imagine what was going through your mind: you're saying to yourself "I only get to make one first post at basenotes ever, so I think I'll go for thanking someone for a post about an arcane subject inside the most obscure forum on basenotes. Also, I'll make sure the post I am responding to was at least year old."

Welcome to the DIY forum at basenotes.

Hah. okay so this is not only a perfume making learning curb, but a forum etiquette one too, I now gather from my all-too-IT-literate boyfriend who is laughing at me from the other room calling me a forum noob.

Thanks, I like to make an entrance

Welcome Jacinta :-)

For those who enjoy cutting up paper, this is a great solution, but if, youíre like me and the prospect of all that cutting makes your hand ache just thinking about it, you might prefer to buy them ready-made. I have mine printed with my logo by Maxi-Mise. But for most amateurs, having your scent-strips pre-printed is a bit OTT, so look instead at their e-commerce site for plain materials: www.scentstrips.co.uk, where the prices include worldwide shipping but not VAT.

Also you might like to look at LS Materials - they offer anything from 500 to 5000 at very competitive prices and are also UK based, prices donít include shipping but for a UK address it adds £4.50 when I tested it a few minutes ago, so still works out very reasonable for small quantities.

BTW if anyone thinks 500 strips is more than they will ever use, youíll be amazed at how quickly they disappear once you get going!
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacinta View Post
    Hah. okay so this is not only a perfume making learning curb, but a forum etiquette one too, I now gather from my all-too-IT-literate boyfriend who is laughing at me from the other room calling me a forum noob.

Thanks, I like to make an entrance
    It's all good Jacinta, it just gave me a bit of a chuckle...

Basenotes Junkie

I wouldn't say I enjoy cutting up paper, but since i'm obviously never going to be a painter, using my watercolor paper this way is faster and cheaper than buying. I don't know yet whether I'll ever be a perfumer, but so far it's more interesting than painting, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toujours Mink View Post
    I wouldn't say I enjoy cutting up paper, but since i'm obviously never going to be a painter, using my watercolor paper this way is faster and cheaper than buying. I don't know yet whether I'll ever be a perfumer, but so far it's more interesting than painting, to me.
    Good plan then. I wouldnít necessarily say perfumery is more interesting than painting . . . itís just that I canít paint anything anyone wants to look at (not even me) so the question doesnít really arise as far as Iím concerned!
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Hah, thanks for the informative reply Chris, I'm already a fan of yours after spending many a week lurking on this forum.

I have to say in true student style, I'm gonna do everything as cheap as possible at least to start off! I might start pinching a few scent strips from Boots and Debenhams whenever I'm in town too.

Since Jacinta has come out of lurking I think I shall too and I will try not to resurrect too many zombie threads in the process. I haven't purchased any scent strips yet but they seem cheap enough for when I get to that point. Luckily for me I have a vast array of different artists papers from my 2 year stint at an art and craft supply shop and my instinctual hoarding habits (I can only draw very horrible stick figures why I accepted paper and sketchbook donations I do not know). So for now I am happy with taking the reams to the cutting mat and hacking away at them with my rotary blade.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Good plan then. I wouldn’t necessarily say perfumery is more interesting than painting . . . it’s just that I can’t paint anything anyone wants to look at (not even me) so the question doesn’t really arise as far as I’m concerned!
    That's exactly what I meant. At least half of it, the half that says I'll never be a painter. I doubt I'll ever be a perfumer, either, but it's more fun right now.

Many thanks Chris for mentioning our online shop for Plain Testing Strips www.scentstrips.co.uk . Just to add, as well as free shipping worldwide, customers can purchase in US Dollars, Pounds Sterling and Euros. If anyone would like more info, then feel free to PM me.

Just take the paper and run a few sheets through a shredder, job done
    Fear no danger to ensue,
    The Hero loves as well as you,
    Ever gentle, ever smiling,
    And the cares of life beguiling,
    Cupid strew your path with flowers,
    Gather'd from Elysian bowers.