Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I literally don't get vetiver. Why would ANYONE want to smell grassy?

I think it's abhorrently weird.

Default Re: I literally don't get vetiver. Why would ANYONE want to smell grassy?

It depends how it's done. Vetiver can be clean, earthy, dirty, dark, etc. If your just getting into fragrances it's one that takes awhile to appreciate.

Default Re: I literally don't get vetiver. Why would ANYONE want to smell grassy?

I found out that its not for me, unless its way way in the background. Creed Original Vetiver is done nicely, but still not my favorite.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    MFK Grand Soir
    Roja Dove Elysium Cologne
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

We all have our hypersensitivities - perhaps yours is vetiver (or rather its main molecule, vetiveril). I find vetiver fresh and invigorating, and in general I like vetivers. Rather, I abhor aquatics, which to me smell like rotting seafood - again, I must be hypersensitive.

As silentrich was saying, vetiver can have different faces, though the base is quite distinctive. Also, some supposed vetiver scents do not smell particularly vetivery.

Incidentally, what's your take on galbanum, another very green and cold material? Examples would be Chanel Cristalle.

cacio

In the defense of this fragrance category: not all vetiver does smell, at least not predominantly, grassy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    May I ask which vetiver dominant scents have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    May I ask which vetiver dominant scents have you tried?
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Mona di Orio Les Nombres d`Or Vetyver

I partially agree with you on its "green-ish" use, while I quite like it in darker and more elegant scents (I think of SixScents 02 by Damir Doma/Yann Vasnier for example, you wouldn't say it's vetiver dominant).

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I'm not fond of Vetiver prominent scents but it is a acquired taste.

I cannot wear it. Turns told bog body on me.
    DONNA

Guerlain Vetiver
    Hey, you tried some good ones. Didn't work for you. The End.

Everybody here has a note or two that doesn't work for them. Thats why you sampled.

I can't take the really strong vetivers, either. But I do enjoy the more subdued vetivers (Creed Original Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver).
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I cannot wear it. Turns told bog body on me.

I am a huge fan of vetiver. I probably own 30+ predominantly vetiver fragrances. I't usually doesn't really strike me as smelling that "grassy". Some vetivery that I don't care for much can sometimes come across as a bit rubbery however. But vetiver is a very versatile note as already mentioned - Vetiver Babylone and Original Vetiver to the Vetiver Extraordinaire to Route du Vetiver to Encre Noire - they all smell so completely different that it's almost impossible to just say "vetiver is ____"

Anyway, if you don't like vetiver, that's fine - luckily there are thousands of fragrances out there that don't contain it in any form.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Vetiver
    Those are good ones so it's definitely not your cup of tea then.

Vetiver is definitely not an acquired note for me. I love it the first time I sniffed Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo and Vetiver.

Dependent

There is a scent for everyones taste, I'm mainly a fan of gourmand.

I've tried Creed Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne and Dior Eau Sauvage parfum and its not my cup of tea. I can appreciate why people would like them, but I like the pretty boy kind of fragrances.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 4th March 2014 at 06:17 PM.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Hey, you tried some good ones. Didn't work for you. The End.
    Bingo!

There are types of fragrances that do not work for me, but I would never start a thread asking why ANYONE would want to smell like xxx.

After trying three of the better ones, you didn't like it, maybe it is time to move onto something else. Personally, I love Vetiver in all it's different iterations.

Wondering if you've tried Sycomore, some types of vetiver depending on origin can highlight different facets of the scent. Sycomore is far more smokey and earthy root-like to me than it is grassy/green...think scorched forest grasslands, that's Sycomore for me.

While Dior's Vetiver is definitely more rich and green, I guess grassy in a sense.

Also, vetiver is used in a plethora of other fragrances as a fixative where it's not so forward in the fragrance and tends to highlight other notes. Kinda like leather for me, I don't understand why people enjoy smelling like leather...but when there's a smooth leather note that rounds out a fragrance, like HoM's Blackbird, I find it enjoyable.
    Last edited by rynegne; 4th March 2014 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Bingo!

There are types of fragrances that do not work for me, but I would never start a thread asking why ANYONE would want to smell like xxx.

After trying three of the better ones, you didn't like it, maybe it is time to move onto something else. Personally, I love Vetiver in all it's different iterations.
    Welp, we know you're crazy

Wondering if you've tried Sycomore, some types of vetiver depending on origin can highlight different facets of the scent. Sycomore is far more smokey to me than it is grassy/green.
    I have, it's too smokey. Hence why my love for Jeke is dwindling quickly. I'm a sucker for gourmonds.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I love this note in fragrances. I find it to be very appealing and comforting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I love this note in fragrances. I find it to be very appealing and comforting.
    Do you have pictures of your collection lately? Or, where are your most recent ones?

Basenotes Plus

I find it endlessly fascinating - but I'm not going to start a thread asking why some people hate it 'cos we're all different
    Last edited by lpp; 4th March 2014 at 06:29 PM.

Dependent

Vetiver is definitely one of my top 3 favorite notes, and I find it to be one of the most versatile ingredients in perfumery. You can take it in so many directions, from fresh and grassy to abrasive and sharp, from light to pungent, from squeeky clean to very earthy and dirty, from benign to highly complex. Even though it sounds like vetiver may not be your cup of tea, I wouldn't necessarily write it off just yet. You may find other vetiver compositions that are more appealing to you, and which do not have that green or grassy feel to them. Many vetiver fragrances are actually a lot more "brown/grey" than "green" - the ones you've tried are arguably some of the greenest out there.

Keep on sniffing, your opinion may change one day when you find "the one" you like and it happens to just click with you the right way.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't get vetiver either, and it's everywhere in men's scents. Every now and then, I'll find one that I almost kind of like, such as TdC Sel de Vetiver. I can tell how very well done that one is, but in the end, vetiver isn't for me. Sycomore? Encre Noir? Can't go near 'em. Although, I should add that I don't think I've ever smelled a vetiver-heavy scent on someone else. I've only smelled them on myself while sampling.

Vetiver doesn't smell green to me. It smells brown. It doesn't smell grassy. It smells sort-of mossy/moldy.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 4th March 2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

I'm a huge vetiver fan, HUGE! But I don't get grassy from it, or earthy, really. I usually get sweet and ginger like. Then again I love the smell of fresh cut grass and the outdoors, so perhaps I'm a bit biased...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I love vetiver in general and have only run into very few fragrances where I thought it wasn't done to well, but overall its a great note.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I guess that goes to show how different our noses are, I never thought of vetiver as grassy. To me, it smells just like a campfire.
    Just because a fragrance is expensive, doesn’t necessarily make it smell better than a cheaper one.

I can still pray in the U.S.A. (For now, anyway.)
    Currently wearing: Passion Boisée by Frapin

I loooove Vetiver, smokey, earthy , dark , vegetal, uplifting,
    I have even tried Vetiver Syrup (Khus) on ice cream (a cordial distilled from vetiver roots) easily found in Indian/Pakistani grocery stores, along with sandalwood syrup.
    I also have vetiver mat curtains which I got from an Ebayer in India.People there they use it to keep a room cool and fragrant in the summer by sprinking some water on it. . I keep them in my sunroom.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    I guess that goes to show how different our noses are, I never thought of vetiver as grassy. To me, it smells just like a campfire.
    That's the aspect of vetiver I DO enjoy! It sometimes has a burnt but still smoldering smell. LOVE that! Vetiver can be such a complex note. For the most part, I don't enjoy it, except for the times when I love it. Ugh, contradictions!
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Sound Scents

Thanks for sharing. ;-)
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren