Code of Conduct

Default Similar to Joseph Abboud

First of all, does anyone have the note break down to Joseph Abboud?

I understand this fragrance is average, however I really enjoy it.
    Is there another fragrance that is similar or at least in the same ball park?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Similar to Joseph Abboud

All I know is spices, woods, and vetiver. I have never tried this one because I have never seen a precise note breakdown. It looks like it may just be a spicy generic fragrance, but I guess it's becoming harder to find now, so I may have to get some before it's completely gone.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Some have compared it to Basala by Shiseido. I have both and they share some spice notes, but Joseph Abboud is drier and lacks Basala's sandalwood drydown.The bottles are more similar than the scents and one wonders if that was deliberate. Basala is harder to find than JA so that won't help anyway

JA is quite a spicy powerhouse, in the Cacharel pour Homme mode (style and partially substance). It isn't generic.
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    All I know is spices, woods, and vetiver. I have never tried this one because I have never seen a precise note breakdown. It looks like it may just be a spicy generic fragrance, but I guess it's becoming harder to find now, so I may have to get some before it's completely gone.
    One of the reviewers in the Directory listed these: "The notes for this are lemon, orange, basil, bergamot, jasmine, violet, ginger, thyme, chamomile, black pepper, cardamom, ceylon, cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, musk and amber."

It is definitely citrus, spicy, with a vetiver / woody base.
    Last edited by foetidus; 6th May 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

...I have never tried this one because I have never seen a precise note breakdown. It looks like it may just be a spicy generic fragrance...
    Fortunately, "generic" is a not descriptor one would apply to JA, like it or not. I dont know about reformulations, but JA was launched at a time of relative freedom with ingredients. I also get a mild peppery vibe along with the strong spicy-woody accords i love in JA.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

Tempted to blind buy it now. Can anybody verify if it's similar to Remy Latour Cigar or not? Somebody told me years ago that they are very similar, but I have not heard it from anybody else.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Tempted to blind buy it now. Can anybody verify if it's similar to Remy Latour Cigar or not? Somebody told me years ago that they are very similar, but I have not heard it from anybody else.
    Having both, i would not say they are similar, except by both being unsweet. While Cigar has an evocative tobacco accord, JA is more of mildly peppery spicy woods. Or is it woody spice?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I owned this frag in 1993 when it came out and really enjoyed it. I 're received a couple of 5ml mini bottles a few years ago. I may purchase a full bottle again. I was curious about the notes because I want to find something similar or same DNA as JA.

If anyone else can chime in on other spicy,peppery, woody frags, that would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mysidx View Post
    I owned this frag in 1993 when it came out and really enjoyed it. I 're received a couple of 5ml mini bottles a few years ago. I may purchase a full bottle again. I was curious about the notes because I want to find something similar or same DNA as JA.

If anyone else can chime in on other spicy,peppery, woody frags, that would be much appreciated.
    I'll have to try it before I can give you another recommendation, sorry. I've smelled a lot of stuff though, so I'm sure I will know something comparable to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mysidx View Post
    These aren't the same but they are in the same dry spicy/woody family:

Villoresi Spezie (potent and pricey)

M Generation (with incense)

L'Eau du Navigateur (with coffee)
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Having both, i would not say they are similar, except by both being unsweet.
    Agree. While I have tried the former and own the latter, get no likeness at all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.