Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "The one cologne to rule them all!" Which one is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    For me, RL Polo by a long shot. Without writing a short novel here: it just ticks every box for me. Every single wearing is a revelation. Yeah it's not the prettiest or most harmonious drydown in the world (there's Giorgio and Zino when I want that) but it's something so much more than the sum of its parts or individual notes. When people ask you what you're wearing (which is often, even after 40 years) you never feel pretentious telling them - everyone's heard of Ralph Lauren. It's just so effortless, sophisticated without being formal, rough-and-tumble without being crass, uber manly but never try-hard, complex but never aimless. Reeks of high quality natural ingredients, like you just rolled around in moss and pine sap. Easy to get lost in and always new facets to discover. The only fragrance that's ever made me laugh out loud to myself in public because I just couldn't believe how good I smelled - what more can I say?
    Its stellar joos so it is!

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Cool Re: "The one cologne to rule them all!" Which one is yours?

Hypocrites.
    In the 'cheating' thread, no one seems to have a favorite. haha
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

The one, the only - Terre d'Hermes. It's got everything I love, perfect for all occasions, and top to bottom wonderful to smell. It was my signature scent before I fell into the swirling void of Basenotes haha.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    The one, the only - Terre d'Hermes. It's got everything I love, perfect for all occasions, and top to bottom wonderful to smell.
    I'm with you!

I saw a picture of that one yesterday. I have never been able to find it. I did however, find several bottles of Guy LaRoche Horizon at a hole in the wall fragrancexstore today, circa 1993. Lovely stuff! Smells creamier than my current formulation.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

It is hard to pick only one. I am often guilty of straying from my favorite YSL with the red cap, but that's mostly because I have to conserve what I have since it's now very hard to get and the scalpers are charging a King's ransom for it.

War and Peace II

I guess because it doesn’t smell like a perfume to me...it’s like a specific image or feeling captured in a bottle.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I was going to say, I can't do it, then I saw someone mention Polo.

I don't really wear it, at all. But I have to have a bottle in my collection. My first ever scent memory was probably Drakkar Noir, but now Polo has become the definitive men's fragrance in my mind.

My all time favorite.
    Sicilian Vanilla Attar
    il_570xN.1000135356_ih1k.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Eau d'Hermes.
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

Dependent

Its Antiquity for me. I love dirty/musky leathers with wood and maybe a little fruit and/or citrus. It ticks all my boxes, and it ticks them amazingly. I've never been a big fan of floral notes but the carnation in this is truly swoon worthy.
    Currently wearing: Oud Zhen by Areej le Doré

Basenotes Plus

You know what's really weird?
    Last year, around my birthday, my mom even asked me if there were any particular fragrance I would like, and I couldn't even pick one! XD
    I was just like: "You can pick one. You probably like and dislike the same things as me!" XD Or..basically another version of, "surprise me!" XD
    (Honestly..it's more fun to be surprised! It's boring to just tell someone what you want all the time, and they just run out and get it!)
    But..it's not just the element of surprise. Like..honestly..my mind also just drew a blank.
    Like...I love perfumes and I go out and try new perfumes all the time! But..when actually faced with the point blank question, "which one would you like?" I couldn't even answer!
    Honestly..I think I need to think for a little bit before actually deciding on one ultimate answer to this question too! Honestly guys..I like a lot of scents! XD

BTW: I ended up getting a couple of Bath and Body Works aromatherapy scents...the eucalyptus and spearmint and orange and ginger ones.
    They're nice..but I think maybe this year I should go out with my mom, and maybe suggest something!

Basenotes Plus

So..I gave this some thought and came up with some answers.

It is really and truly very hard for me to only just pick one scent to rule them all! XD
    But..when I sat down and gave this some serious thought I remembered the one day (out of sheer curiosity) I spritzed some jovan musk onto one arm, and at least one version of Beyonce Heat onto the other arm (including the original one in the red bottle.) And..I remember the resulting aroma was just one of the sexiest scents I have ever smelled!
    If it wasn't "the one scent to rule the all", it came pretty darn close!
    Other close contenders would probably be things like "Love Don't be Shy!" by Kilian, "Eau Duelle" from Diptyque, Serge Lutens "Datura Noir" or "Gris Clair", maybe Christian Dior "Hypnotic Poison" (I need to revisit that one) or possibly Michael Kors "Wonderlust." I remember I used to really love "M" by Mariah Carey too..the original Mariah Carey butterfly collection perfume. I also need to revisit that one!

So..although it's hard to pick just one actual commercial perfume, I would say in general my "one scent to rule them all" is something that contains some blend of vanilla, the scent of a bag of marshmallows, sweet almond, bergamot orange and some other sweet fruity notes blended with some type of white floral with a base that contains musk, sandalwood and probably also some kind of amber blend.

In addition to this, my other "One scent to rule them all" (Hey! Why can't there be more than one) could also be real lavender essential oils!
    I love the scent of real lavender, like the scent of the "Lavender" candle from Yankee Candle. (The one that is just called "Lavender.")
    Here in Toronto, where I live, every year at the Canadian National Exhibition (that is held in the last two weeks before labor day in September) they have something called "The Lavender Cart" in one of the Exhibition buildings..and the entire scent of all the products combined that comes from The Lavender Cart is also a close contender for "the one scent to rule them all" for me!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Bugatti 1992 and Bel Ami 1986. Janus.
    Still stuck in the Vintage in 2021.

Everything could go, however these will be with me, one bottle in each hand, as I float into the Great Fireball.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Is this about colognes or perfume? A lot of people posting about perfumes, not colognes. I'm confused.

If you mean a traditional cologne in the sense of a doesn't last so long splash, it would be Guerlain Imperial - original version.
    Currently wearing: Baiser Volé by Cartier

Perfume or cologne, doesn't matter as long as you love it. :-)

Basenotes Plus

The topic isn't in the male fragrance discussion forum so my brain automatically read it as "one scent to rule them all!" Seriously.

Basenotes Plus

Regarding masculine fragrances (or colognes) I think the sexiest thing (on a man) might be Dunhill Custom, or possibly Creed Green Irish Tweed or possibly something like Sung by Alfred Sung for men. Again..I have a hard time picking just one! Those are all great though!

Quote Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
    Is this about colognes or perfume? A lot of people posting about perfumes, not colognes. I'm confused.

If you mean a traditional cologne in the sense of a doesn't last so long splash, it would be Guerlain Imperial - original version.
    Cologne is just a “watered down” version of perfume so I would say colognes, perfumes, extraits and attars would all be included.

Men's colognes, women's perfumes, art is art and all are welcome. ;-)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Probably Aventus.

Much like the ring of power, many men mistakenly think they can avoid its allure, or wield the power of pineapple for themselves. Alas, it is not true, and Creed had to cast the true Aventus in to the fires of Mount Reformulation before it fell in to the wrong hands and enslaved humanity in a fog of sweet smoke.

Quite who Gollum is in all of this, I don't know...
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Probably Aventus.

Much like the ring of power, many men mistakenly think they can avoid its allure, or wield the power of pineapple for themselves. Alas, it is not true, and Creed had to cast the true Aventus in to the fires of Mount Reformulation before it fell in to the wrong hands and enslaved humanity in a fog of sweet smoke.

Okay..this reply wins! XD

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    Okay..this reply wins! XD
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Probably Aventus.

Clearly, it was not cast into the fire. "This cologne is mine." Was heard said.

Basenotes Plus

Yesterday I wore Tom Ford "Black Orchid" EDP..it was from a free sample I have, but I think it's the version they currently have in the gold bottle. It seems different to me, anyhow, then when I tried it before. The earlier version I tried from a couple-few years ago, I swear, had a distinct chocolatey vibe somewhere in the scent! I feel like I don't really get that note anymore in the current gold bottle version! I like it though! It seems very classy and sophisticated, especially in the dry down and after I'd been wearing it all day for a number of hours!

I just wanted to mention though that I had Black Orchid on..and then I went to borrow some hand cream from my mom..one of her Crabtree and Evelyn ones in a lemon verbena and lavender scent..and my mom saw what I was about to do and she was like "NOOOO!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT! YOUR PERFUME IS SO NICE!! USE THE AVEENO! USE THE AVEENO!" XD (That's only slight hyperbole..really! XD)
    Wow!! XD I just realized in that moment that my mom really loves Tom Ford "Black Orchid!!" I'm sort of considering whether I should buy her some as a gift!
    But yes..I just wanted to share that! Apparently..for some people..Black Orchid can really, really be "The One Scent!!"

Basenotes Plus

Still searching for it.

Carven Homme
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    Clearly, it was not cast into the fire. "This cologne is mine." Was heard said.
    Ah, they think they have 'it'...but how certain can they truly be? After all, they might be wearing something like Parfums Vintage: Placebo Pineapple.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4