Code of Conduct

Default returning fragrances to grey market sites

So... I always read about people saying they returned fragrances to this and that site such as fragrancenet, or other sites, even after they try them on. All these sites say they accept returns only if item is in original condition and unused.

How are these people returning them? Do the sellers just not even check, because if they do it would "use" the spray? I purchased a 4oz bottle of GiT from BeautyEncounter on eBay, and I'm wanting to return it, and buy from somewhere else for a different batch.

I have a A3214A01 batch code, I honestly think this smells great, and smells pretty much identical to the sample I got, except more green in the initial blast than the sample, and this lasts long as well. The next morning, I can smell it on my skin still. Dry down smells the same too, or extremely similar. Though, I'm just going to exchange it because some people seem to be so adamant that the 2014 batch is extremely bad. To me, it smells awesome, and longevity isn't bad either....

What exactly does ambergris smell like anyways?
    Last edited by ginseng90; 14th September 2014 at 12:08 AM.

Default Re: returning fragrances to grey market sites

Always best to double check batch codes before buying.

So basically you opened the package, used it, and from your own description, it is perfectly fine, and you want to return it?

What you have us buyers remorse, and you feel because of this BE should take it back?

Others may disagree with me, but I think that is just plain wrong.

What makes you think purchasing another bottle/batch will offer something better.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by ginseng90 View Post
    So... I always read about people saying they returned fragrances to this and that site such as fragrancenet, or other sites, even after they try them on. All these sites say they accept returns only if item is in original condition and unused.

How are these people returning them? Do the sellers just not even check, because if they do it would "use" the spray? I purchased a 4oz bottle of GiT from BeautyEncounter on eBay, and I'm wanting to return it, and buy from somewhere else for a different batch.

I have a A3214A01 batch code, I honestly think this smells great, and smells pretty much identical to the sample I got, except more green in the initial blast than the sample, and this lasts long as well. The next morning, I can smell it on my skin still. Dry down smells the same too, or extremely similar. Though, I'm just going to exchange it because some people seem to be so adamant that the 2014 batch is extremely bad. To me, it smells awesome, and longevity isn't bad either....

While you must do what your own conscience dictates, I personally think returning a used perfume bottle just because you want a different batch unethical and ill advised. You yourself say it smells great to your nose, so why would someone else stating otherwise figure into the equation? Let *your* nose be your guide...
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    While you must do what your own conscience dictates, I personally think returning a used perfume bottle just because you want a different batch unethical and ill advised. You yourself say it smells great to your nose, so why would someone else stating otherwise figure into the equation? Let *your* nose be your guide...
    Sound advice given here, and would also agree with the feeling expressed.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I personally think returning a used perfume bottle just because you want a different batch unethical and ill advised. You yourself say it smells great to your nose, so why would someone else stating otherwise figure into the equation? Let *your* nose be your guide...
    Agree100%

I see. I didn't know this was something that was so looked down upon. I always on this same forum about people returning items after they tried it.

By the way, does anyone have a 2014 GiT, and what do they think about theirs?

To me, it smells awesome, and longevity isn't bad either....

You're stating it smells great to you. Why would you return it because of what you're reading? You're trusting other people's opinion over what your own nose tells you? You'll most probably regret doing that. I'm wondering how experienced you are with fragrances anyway. Most reasonably experienced fragrance enthusiasts wouldn't do that.
    If you're trying to just find out what ambergris smells like, it's another matter. There are other ways of doing that.
    Stop looking for greener pastures in Creeds. There's always going to be a better batch...or not.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

IMO, unless it is defective, you shouldn't get to return it. You used it. It's no longer new. I can't get over how many people on BN routinely return fragrances simply because they change their mind.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

You wan't grey market prices, and wan't a certain batch #? Good luck

Smells pretty much identical to the sample I got
    I have nothing else to add.

Ethics aside, I just don't understand why you would want to return something that smells awesome and has excellent longevity for a different batch of the same fragrance.

Can you explain why you want to do this?
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

That's the reason Fragrancenet sent me a clearly used bottle lacking many juice.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I can't get over how many people on BN routinely return fragrances simply because they change their mind.
    Even worse when someone participates in a split and then get it and want to return it to the splitter, demanding they send a different batch, and if they don't, they want a full refund. It doesn't work that way, guys.

This hasn't happened to me, but this happened just yesterday or couple days ago to someone splitting Aventus. I think that fragrance may just be cursed - people don't go by their own noses, but trust random other people more. Completely silly. If people purely went by what other people tell them to wear, smell like, etc, then here's my advice to you (since it's obviously better than trusting your own nose)... Buy every bottle of Kouros, Aramis, and Secretions Magnifique you can find, all batches, vintages and variations. Layer all three, heavily. You'll smell GREAT. Guaranteed panty dropper. This combination will make you look 10 years younger. It will erase all your wrinkles and you'll get the most amazing 6-pack abs without having to work out at all. And money will suddenly start to grow on trees when you walk by, because that fragrance combination is so awesome. Really, trust me, I'm a guy on the internet! </s>

To the OP... If that bottle of GIT smells great to you, how do you know a different batch will not smell *worse*? What you propose is a blind trust that some random batch from some other place is going to be "better" than what you already have. What will you do when that other new bottle isn't as good as the one you return - will you then return that one and try to buy your original bottle back?

PS: My apologies to Kouros and all fans of Kouros. I "get it", but most people think it stinks. No apologies to Aramis or SM fans - those two really do stink. ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Over on the GIT/Aventus forums, I try to suggest extensive batch sampling precisely for this reason. There are notable differences between batches, and some are quite obviously inferior. That said, my reading of inferiority (itself a subjective concept) may be different than yours.

The bottom line, and I quote: "To me, it smells awesome, and longevity isn't bad either...."

If you like it, keep it. There is no guarantee that you would enjoy another batch more. More importantly, you made the purchase, and returning an opened bottle because you don't like the batch seems wasteful. Now you know that you should be sampling between batches - next time you wish to purchase a bottle, you can put that knowledge to good use.

Appreciate all the input guys. I'm not being sarcastic.

Also, I just confirmed that the 2014 batch is indeed good. The post that I read about 2014 not being good was a post by some guy named ShaverX or something like that, along with a couple other people that said the 2014 smells extremely diluted and disappears from their own detection within 30 minutes to an hour or something like that. For me, this was true. However, I asked other people if they smelled it, 5-6 hours after spraying it on me, and they said they could, and they were about 3-4 feet away.

Now I'm thinking 2014 isn't a bad batch at all; in fact, it is a very GOOD batch, so strong and fresh that it fatigues their noses, and they think it is "scented water". What's funny is the author of the post said he would spray like 8 sprays on, and still couldn't smell it; people around him were probably constantly on the verge of fainting (despite the fact that GiT is such an amazing scent). For me, it was ONE SINGLE spray, and people could still smell it when I asked them about it. So for all of you guys that think A3214A01 is a bad batch, try asking people other than yourself, because your nose might not be detecting it because of olfactory fatigue.

I'm now 100% sure this is an amazing batch, perhaps the strongest batch, since many of those posts I read, the authors of those posts said they stopped detecting the scent after such short time (which means they reached olfactory fatigue quicker; thus, stronger scent). I've now compared the dry-down of my fresh 2014 bottle, and the sample I had, and me, and other people that I've asked said the dry-down is the same, though the 2014 doesn't have super strong ambergris, but still does; it's just more balanced rather than in your face.

By the way, anyone know why ShaverX was banned?

I'm glad you like the 14A01 batch. And while I concur with ShaverX's overall assessment of the batch, I have more of a problem with the balance of the notes than the performance (one particular note is dominant in this batch, and if ShaverX might be somewhat anosomic to this note, which would explain his performance complaints). That said, if this batch is working on your skin and you are happy with the smell, you should absolutely ignore ShaverX, myself, and anyone else who might disagree with your own assessment.

These things are largely matters of preference. For instance, I prefer the more complex and 'balanced' batches of GIT, while my cousin insists that the overwhelmingly 'green' batches are far more pleasant. To each their own.

Your own preferences are the only ones that matter.

The batch that your cousin speaks of, is it the 2014 one that I have? Also, have you observed any longevity differences in this batch, via using other people to smell it, as opposed to your own nose? Finally, which "one particular note" were you talking about that is dominant to you?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    I'm glad you like the 14A01 batch. And while I concur with ShaverX's overall assessment of the batch, I have more of a problem with the balance of the notes than the performance (one particular note is dominant in this batch, and if ShaverX might be somewhat anosomic to this note, which would explain his performance complaints). That said, if this batch is working on your skin and you are happy with the smell, you should absolutely ignore ShaverX, myself, and anyone else who might disagree with your own assessment.

These things are largely matters of preference. For instance, I prefer the more complex and 'balanced' batches of GIT, while my cousin insists that the overwhelmingly 'green' batches are far more pleasant. To each their own.

Your own preferences are the only ones that matter.

The batch that your cousin speaks of, is it the 2014 one that I have? Also, have you observed any longevity differences in this batch, via using other people to smell it, as opposed to your own nose? Finally, which "one particular note" were you talking about that is dominant to you?
    No, it is 13T01, which is the 'greenest' of the 2013 batches (as far as I have smelled), but is still a balanced batch. To answer your other question, the 3-4 times that I tested 14A01, I checked with two others, and both reported similarly (decent longevity as a skin scent, but poor projection).

GIT is quite well blended, and I am not familiar with the synthetics used here, so I couldn't tell you exactly what the note is. In any case, the note I am referring to comes across as green, synthetic, and a bit sharp (perhaps an overdose of something like calone?). 14A01 has more of this than any batch I have ever smelled. 13T01 is the second strongest in this regard, but is nowhere near as 'green' as 14A01.

Ahh ok got it... what was the longevity? And as for skin scent, thats weird. I checked with two others as well, and both said they could smell it from 3-4 feet away, and could clearly smell it when i walk by them. How many sprays did you use for when you tested on the two people? Also, when you asked them about the smell, how long were they exposed to the smell for already?

Ahh ok got it... what was the longevity? And as for skin scent, thats weird. I checked with two others as well, and both said they could smell it from 3-4 feet away, and could clearly smell it when i walk by them. How many sprays did you use for when you tested on the two people? Also, when you asked them about the smell, how long were they exposed to the smell for already?
    Performance varies wildly between skin types, so it could be that projection is better on you than it is on me for this particular batch. But performance isn't the most important thing for me. I used one spray on the wrist, which is what I do to test all my fragrances.

The people I asked go with me on most of my shopping trips, and have experience with many different GIT (and Aventus) batches. All of us smelled the 14A01 and recoiled because it doesn't smell similar to the 2013 batches (and had the same negative reaction all throughout the dry down). We checked a different tester at another store just to control for storage issues, but it smelled the same as the first one. 14A01 has the same general GIT DNA, but it smells like it uses entirely different quality ingredients. It is far more green, one dimensional, and synthetic smelling (at least to my nose). But even so, some might like it more than the greener (13T01) or the more floral (13Q01) of the 2013 batches. It all depends on taste.