Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: Christmas in a bottle! Which fragrance and why?

Hard to deny the Christmasy pine and candied fruit of Fille en Aiguilles. Good stuff.

For one reason or another I associate these with the Holiday Season-

Rudis Nobile 1820 -- spiced wine and dark leather
    CDG edp --- the spice
    ARSO --- burning logs incense
    Bois Farine --- baking bread on wood fire

Tis the season to bump this thread...

Eau Des Baux and Bleue D'Issey are both on my list.

Burberry London seems to be the go-to for midday... I'd prefer something more "piney..."
    My updated top ten, in no particular order:
    Bentley Intense
    Cosmair Polo Green
    Green Irish Tweed
    Calvin(original blue)
    L'Occitane Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb/Lomani Body and Soul(tie)
    Hanae Mori HiM EDP
    Pure Havane
    Dunhill Icon
    Halston Man Amber

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Obsession for Men because it's cozy, has some cinnamon and vanilla in there that reminds me of being by the fire with some eggnog.

Polo a little because the pine, and also it reminds me of wearing those thick knitted sweaters that guys wore in the 80s during winter time.

Hermès Ambre Narguilé, Lutens Fille En Aiguilles and Goutal Ninfeo Mio.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

Basenotes Plus

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Replica By the Fireplace: it smells warm and cozy like you're actually in front of a fireplace.

Malle's Noir Epice

Dependent

Something about Tobacco Vanille makes me think of winter time and Christmas in particular. It might be the bold, rich spices and smooth, sweet vanilla that seems like a common smell during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Something about Tobacco Vanille makes me think of winter time and Christmas in particular. It might be the bold, rich spices and smooth, sweet vanilla that seems like a common smell during the season.
    Used to be a ideal scent for the holidays when it was much more potent. Stuff like Feve Delicieuse, Tonka Imperiale and Spiritueuse Double Vanille come to mind.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Burberry London. Meh. Everyone says its like christmas because everyone else does. Copy cats. Like how everyone says shawshank is their fav movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    I agree with Bay rums, but there are more "christmassy" bay rums than Pinaud.
    There's a strong "spiced orange" effect to Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum that makes it a fair candidate for this.

Basenotes Institution

Eau Noire by Dior. Now this is Christmas in a bottle. Nice licorice note with spices in this gem. I usually just wear this during this time of the year.

Ambre Narguilé, A*Men (original), New Haarlem. I tend to wear one of these or something very similar.

For me at the moment it's LPDO - Vanille Persuasive, wonderful TF - Tobacco Vanille clone

1. Gourmands
    My grandmother even at 97 years old made cookies, cakes, bread cakes and other sweets for all of us on Easter, Christmas, name days, birthdays, religious holidays, national holidays and so on. She wouldn't let us help her, it was her gift to us.
    I will always associate the Christmas with the smell of her kitchen: vanilla, cookies and nuts.
    I miss her.

Etro - Heliotrope

2. Something joyful
    Because reasons.

Amouage - Dia
    Czech & Speake - Cuba
    Etro - Sandalo
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Dior - Homme
    Penhaligon's - Endymion
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Bois d'Iris

3. Churchy
    It's a religious holiday, so the connection with the Church is inherent.
    I LOVE the silence, or/and the (ortodox) church choir chants, frankincense/olibanum and smoke soaked in walls for hundreds of years*, smoking frankincense/olibanum from the incensory, the smell of natural wax candles, old wood, the moldiness and/or the coldness of stones from the basement, or from the bell tower, and so on.
    I visit churches quite often.
    *Many churches from here are hundreds of years old.

Etro - Messe de Minuit - for incense, mould, cold stones and moody atmosphere.
    Comme des Garcons - Avignon - for incense. Catholic incense, but it's gorgeous.
    Atelier des Ors - Larmes du Desert - for wood. I've met this type of smell in (some) churches and old castles.

4. Spruce tree
    Because Christmas tree.

Nothing from what I smelled comes close to spruce smell.
    There would be Encens Flamboyant - Annick Goutal, but it has some annoying saltiness, almost metallic.
    So I'm OK with no spruce.

Special guest - Aramis - JHL
    It's not quite cheerful, but somehow it check the rest of the points (2, 3, 4).
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Other than Burberry London, I think Xerjoff Ivory Route with its churchy incense and Christmas spices

Serge Lutens Arabie smells Christmas potpourri in incense candied orange and cloves
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Here are couple of frags I personally love to wear the most during that period. Some or most of them are not necessarily reminding other people of Christmas, but to me for some reason they represent december month in general.

Burberry London is quite an epitome for Christmas in every frag community.
    V&R Spicebomb
    Givenchy Pi
    Mugler A*Men Pure Havane
    Mugler B*Men - has that specific green vibe, it smells like a chirstmas tree to me for some reason.
    Mugler A*Men
    Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee
    Mugler A*Men Pure Tonka
    Gucci Pour Homme I

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Some or most of them are not necessarily reminding other people of Christmas, but to me for some reason they represent december month in general.
    The whole month of December is Christmas, starting with the "Little Christmas" - Saint Nicholas, on December 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    bread cakes
    I don't know exactly what it's called. It's a traditional holiday treat here.
    There are two types - with walnut stuffing and with poppy seeds stuffing, both are full of raisins.

All December is Christmas, starting with the "Little Christmas" - Saint Nicholas, on 6th December.

I don't know exactly what it's called. It's a traditional holiday treat here.
    There are two types - with walnut stuffing and with poppy seeds stuffing, both are full of raisins.

Well said sir! In Croatia we call these bread cakes "makovnjača" and "orahnjača"

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Well said sir! In Croatia we call these bread cakes "makovnjača" and "orahnjača"
    Here in Romania is called cozonac, from the bulgarian kuzunak.

Here in Romania is called cozonac, from the bulgarian kuzunak.
    Romanians and Slavic people share a lot of culture, so understandable that a lot of food and sweets are similar

Spicebomb Extreme.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

L'Homme Ideal perhaps. Sweet, syrupy, boozy, almondy, cherry flexture goin on here. Prolly wouldn't wear it on xmas though, I fear it would be overwhelming! Something on the other side of the spectrum welcoming in bare tree, breath you can see and crisp moonlight nights with wonder in the crackling of your open fire... Polo!
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Fille en Aiguilles

Burberry London

Jacques Fath Pour L’Homme

Eau des Baux

Reason being they all possess various smells related to Christmas or the holiday season in general (warm, ambers, spices, conifers, dried fruits, etc.)
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

1. Gourmands
    My grandmother even at 97 years old made cookies, cakes, bread cakes and other sweets for all of us on Easter, Christmas, name days, birthdays, religious holidays, national holidays and so on. She wouldn't let us help her, it was her gift to us.
    I will always associate the Christmas with the smell of her kitchen: vanilla, cookies and nuts.
    I miss her.

Etro - Heliotrope

2. Something joyful
    Because reasons.

Amouage - Dia
    Czech & Speake - Cuba
    Etro - Sandalo
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Dior - Homme
    Penhaligon's - Endymion
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Bois d'Iris

3. Churchy
    It's a religious holiday, so the connection with the Church is inherent.
    I LOVE the silence, or/and the (ortodox) church choir chants, frankincense/olibanum and smoke soaked in walls for hundreds of years*, smoking frankincense/olibanum from the incensory, the smell of natural wax candles, old wood, the moldiness and/or the coldness of stones from the basement, or from the bell tower, and so on.
    I visit churches quite often.
    *Many churches from here are hundreds of years old.

Etro - Messe de Minuit - for incense, mould, cold stones and moody atmosphere.
    Comme des Garcons - Avignon - for incense. Catholic incense, but it's gorgeous.
    Atelier des Ors - Larmes du Desert - for wood. I've met this type of smell in (some) churches and old castles.

4. Spruce tree
    Because Christmas tree.

Nothing from what I smelled comes close to spruce smell.
    There would be Encens Flamboyant - Annick Goutal, but it has some annoying saltiness, almost metallic.
    So I'm OK with no spruce.

Special guest - Aramis - JHL
    It's not quite cheerful, but somehow it check the rest of the points (2, 3, 4).
    Interesting. No Ambre Narguilé for you even with this story about your grandma?
    Oh, yes! Now Avignon reminds me of Christmas too due to Notre Dame cathedral.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    douse yourself with Leather Oud and they won't know if it's day or night..XMass or the 4th of July!
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by du57in View Post
    Eau des Baux. Randomly asked for a fragrance that would smell good in the winter and ended up with a bottle of this under the tree. It will forever remind me of Christmas now.
    Yes, it has a bit o Christmas smell either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Interesting. No Ambre Narguilé for you even with this story about your grandma?
    1. I didn't even mention Serge Lutens - Arabie, who is my favorite gourmand.

2. The math is awkwardly simple with Ambre Narguile:
    Darvant give it green, but it is not an "excellent". He starts his review with "We can't deny...".
    Collin Maillard, Alfarom and Foetidus give it yellow, Drseid give it 3-3,5/5.
    ------
    Given those stated above, the desire to look for a sample is greatly diminished.
    I'll probably test it only if this doesn't involve absolutely any effort from me, somehow the sample should fall from the sky into my lap.

Oh! And it's expensive.

-----

Ho ho ho! I bought it.
    Ho ho ho again!

s-l500.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast