Code of Conduct

Default Current Santos vs current Antaeus

The versions you find on the store-shelf today. Santos (regular) and Antaeus. Which one of these classic 80-ies scent do you prefer in their current formulations?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Re: Current Santos vs current Antaeus

Santos
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Antaeus without any doubt.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps" (Marcel Rochas)

Little experience with the current Santos (since I only know and enjoy the vintage version), but quite satisfied with the current Antaeus. However, like said before, it implies that I might need to re-test the current Santos (if obtainable as tester in fragrance stores) asap.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Antaeus. Santos has awful projection on my skin.

Antaeus > Santos: The Chanel is more faithful to its original, and that's saying a lot considering castrating the castoreum out of it has damaged it significantly, while current Santos dry down is an entirely different experience in muskiness from its vintage form.
    Last edited by Arij; 30th December 2014 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Little experience with the current Santos (since I only know and enjoy the vintage version), but quite satisfied with the current Antaeus. However, like said before, it implies that I might need to re-test the current Santos (if obtainable as tester in fragrance stores) asap.
    I think there has been several formulations over the last years. I had a bottle couple of years ago that didn't smell nice at all. It lasted on my skin for only 15 minutes. The new style bottle today, is better in my opinion. Smoother, with better longevity. I haven't tried the original vintage though.

Antaeus

Santos has been horribly reformulated

I prefer Antaeus .

Santos, but I have the Concentree. Easy choice really as I don't particularly like Anteus, the floral elements are too strong for me.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Current Antaeus is more faithful to original Antaeus than current Santos is to original Santos. Yes Antaeus has lost some castoreum and who knows what else, and longevity is down a little, but it's still easily recognizable. To me it's not a sky-is-falling horrendous reformulation.

I would not buy current Santos. It's been gutted and the longevity sucks. However, I will be picking up the Santos Concentree. Not having tested it side-by-side with the original I can only go by online commentary but FWIW some have suggested the Concentree is closer to the vintage than is regular Santos. More importantly, the Concentree does smell a bit fuller and richer than regular Santos, and the Concentree has enough longevity to make it through a work day.

A dilemma for me would be current Antaeus versus Santos Concentree. Antaeus is more unique and based solely on scent it has the edge. OTOH Santos Concentree smells more versatile and is slightly more wearable day-to-day for me. Then if you have a frag budget to factor in to your decision, is current Antaeus worth 2-3x as much as Santos Concentree for your nose and how you'll wear it? Maybe, maybe not. Not knocking Antaeus one bit, but Santos Concentree doesn't get anywhere near as much mention on BN and it's a pretty solid frag.

Thankfully I ran across a 100 ml spray of 1990s vintage Antaeus for the same price as a bottle of current production. If not for that bit of serendipity I'd probably still be in the same boat trying to decide.
    Currently wearing: Furyo by Jacques Bogart

Basenotes Plus

I tried the current Santos recently. It has good pieces but as a whole it just doesn't come together - I found it irritating that it couldn't catch my full interest. Anteaus is great until the end for me, when it overwhelms and I have to scrub it.

Basenotes Plus

Antaeus, though I'm not a fan. Vintage Santos can still be found though.