Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Power Where You Need It

Default Angela Ciampagna: Not your usual *artisanal* line.

Quite impressive new Italian *artisanal* line that is currently standing out amongst the plethora of unnecessary brands for having a solid concept, simple and striking packagings, extremely good fragrances and, most of all, for being nice people…

An aesthetic that's never too rough but it ain't overly polished either. A rural vibe that's quintessentially Italian. An intelligent mixture of sacred and profane, of paganism and religion. The best part though, is how these people are bringing the *artisanal* word back to its original meaning: *actual quality* and *craftsmanship* as opposed to *rough unfinished fragrances* or *massified products*.

Now, forget the usual *apothecary* vibe of several indie lines, forget *wierd* fragrances being weird just for the sake of standing out or for the lack of skills by the perfumer and get ready to discover a plain solid, beautiful range of fragrances that's claiming its place amongst the best discoveries of 2015.

Kanat: bergamot, peach, apricot, blac currant, saffron, salt, magnolia, may lily, cyclamen, ylang ylang, acacia, musk, vanilla, patchouli.

Liquo: lavandin, violet, lemon, anise, licorice, hay, coumarin, incense, vetiver, tonka bean

Ducalis: nutmeg, geranium, salt, rose, may lily, cyclamen, cedarwood, acacia, ylang ylang, sandalwood, rosewood, leather, amber, musk, vanilla

Nox: bergamot, may lily, cyclamen, ylang ylang, acacia, salt, pink pepper, artemisia, hinoki wood, cedarwood, patchouli, vanilla, white musk

Rosarium: honey, tobacco flowers, carrot seeds, juniper, iris wood, violet, celery seeds, musk, vanilla, cedarwood, vetiver, incense

Aer: lemon, mint, grapefruit, juniper, elemi, vetiver, patchouli

Hatria: saffron, cloves, davana, jasmine, rose, caramel, gurjun balsam, oud, patchouli, sandalwood, labdanum, guaiac wood, musk, nagarmotha

------------------------------

I'm still exploring the line but, thus far, I can say they're all standouts in their respective genres…more in-depth thoughts to come.

In the meanwhile, if you like further informations on this brand, check their website at

http://www.angelaciampagna.com

(not affiliated)
    Last edited by alfarom; 8th April 2015 at 12:52 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

Default Re: Angela Ciampagna: Not your usual *artisanal* line.

Thanks for the report, Alfarom. These sound really great. I look forward to your continued thoughts as you get the chance for more in-depth trials.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Quite impressive new Italian *artisanal* line that is currently standing out amongst the plethora of unnecessary brands for having a solid concept, simple and striking packagings, extremely good fragrances and, most of all, for being nice people…

An aesthetic that's never too rough but it ain't overly polished either. A rural vibe that's quintessentially Italian. An intelligent mixture of sacred and profane, of paganism and religion. The best part though, is how these people are bringing the *artisanal* word back to its original meaning: *actual quality* and *craftsmanship* as opposed to *rough unfinished fragrances* or *massified products*.

Now, forget the usual *apothecary* vibe of several indie lines, forget *wierd* fragrances being weird just for the sake of standing out or for the lack of skills by the perfumer and get ready to discover a plain solid, beautiful range of fragrances that's claiming its place amongst the best discoveries of 2015.
    What he said! Totally agree.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Plus

Lol @ 'weird-smelling seemingly unfinished scents'... Have to agree there. I welcome well-articulated and wearable fragrances. If I want to smell 'weird' I'll probably just start burning stuff and smell the fumes.

Thanks, I'm certainly intrigued.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Read a little about her during the Expo in Milan. Seems to be very talented.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I wish I had read this before going to Esxence!!! I was so put off by their website while I was preparing- I certainly didn't catch the "intelligent mixture of sacre and profane" - I deliberately chose to skip them!!
    Too bad for iodine and her prejudices!!!
    Hope to find them soon somewhere- I used to spend some time in that area of Italy- Northern Abruzzo,-rough and beautiful, maybe it's time to pay another visit!

Thanks alfarom for the info!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen
    Currently wearing: Patchouly by Etro

Exercising my parasitic skills - once again thanks to the excuse "the fragrances aren't on Basenotes yet so here's my take on them..."

http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/20...agna-2015.html

Thanks for the information alfarom and Colin Maillard! I'm very, very interested. Liquo sounds especially amazing.

Exploration. Novelty. I know that's a factor in the pleasure I take from this pursuit. And thanks to Basenotes and its ultrasavvy members across the world, I can sample new juice soon after a new house gets back from this year's expo. Angela Ciampagna now has my order for its line of seven fragrances. All seven, in 2mL vials, for 10 euros. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Lol @ 'weird-smelling seemingly unfinished scents'... Have to agree there. I welcome well-articulated and wearable fragrances. If I want to smell 'weird' I'll probably just start burning stuff and smell the fumes.
    You mean like smoking crack?

Seriously, though, that's quite an endorsement coming from alfarom. I look forward to reading more of what you think about each one as well as others' views.

wow, sound interesting. Samples available in US?

Basenotes Plus

You can order it online via their website.

10 euros plus 11 euros for shipping that would ring up to 21 euros.

Also placed my order for the sample pack.

Power Where You Need It

Good morning all, here's my full report. Hope you'll enjoy it…

http://neroprofumo.blogspot.it/2015/...h-in-full.html

Thank you for the heads up. The line sounds interesting. I missed the chance to discover them at Esxence, (missed so much........) I'm looking forward to reading your full report.

Power Where You Need It

Indeed Foustie. Too much stuff coming out and it's getting more and more hard to keep up with everything. The problem is always the same: more aggressive brands get more visibility but, unfortunately, way too often they don't offer the most interesting things around at the moment….at least from my personal point of view.

Here's my bottle-worthy picks.

"Label" bottle on the right - that's an earlier line produced by Ciampagna.

Power Where You Need It

Fantastic haul, Colin! Enjoy them in good health! *Dat* Rosarium!

Quote Originally Posted by sumegha.narang1919 View Post
    Is it available in India ?
    I think they're only distributed in Italy for the moment but try to contact them - they're friendly and I guess they may send the stuff abroad too (at least the sample set!).

I just received the sample package, what a great surprise! Beautiful presentation, just gorgeous. Liquo is the first in line.

I already have to say that I have not been this excited about niche line since I discovered Frederic Malle in 2004. I remember the feeling when I first tried for example Vetiver Extraordinaire, I realized that fragrance can actually smell like true vetiver and be absolutely uncompromising in its approach. Crisp and true to life opening of Angeliques sous la Pluie was also such an eye opener. I was so excited: fragrances that doesn't smell like fragrances, but like something very evocative, natural and even bitter and raw. Since that day most niche fragrances have been disappointments.

Now that I first inhaled Liquo, I remembered why I was so excited that day more than ten years ago. Licorice is one of the notes that is most of the time not realistic at all. It's sweet, synthetic and thin. Here it is in its salty and bitter glory. I keep on sniffing myself and am trying to understand how is it possible that this fragrance in a way smells like licorice and nothing else and it's still a real fragrance with depth and complex structure. Lavender, vetiver and tonka are there, yes. But their function is to emphasize the different sides of licorice. It feels so focused and natural, really impressive work.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 17th April 2015 at 04:11 PM.

I just had to spray Aer to my other hand right away. I have to say I'm again very impressed. Somewhere between Kenzo Air and Sel de Vetiver. Vetiver, grapefruit and salty undertones is what I'm getting after 30 minutes. I'm huge fan of Sel de Vetiver and this seems to be just as good. Vetiver of Aer is a tad more smoky than that found in Sel de Vetiver, which is something I enjoy. Nothing over the top, nothing synthetic. Very well weighed and pleasant vetiver fragrance, I imagine this would shine in spring and summer (I have to imagine since it's still around 4 celsius here in Finland).

I will have to give it some more time, but early impressions are very positive.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 17th April 2015 at 08:23 PM.

Great posts Johnny. Thank you. Keep them coming! And thanks for reports/ photos Alfarom and Colin. This is a lovely thread. Much appreciated.

As Mr Maillard said they are really nice people. From the glowing reports and the interesting pyramids I had to order the Discovery Pack. Every thing was done in 24hrs. Looking forward to this.
    I saw that!!

Based on Johnny's review, I will have to try Liquo.

This is getting from bad to worse - financially speaking. If I would have to rate Liquo and Aer, I'd give Liquo 9/10 and Aer 7.5/10. Now I'm wearing Kanat, and I really don't want to rate it at all. Me loving it is very personal and I can't seem to take any objective stance towards this fragrance.

I'm an avid wet shaver and Italian shaving soap Cella is my absolute favourite. It has very beautiful almond scent and I've used it for ages. My mother always tells me how one of her cherished memories is his father wet shaving. She can still recall the scent of the shaving soap. I've always hoped (kind of naive and pathetic) that my three little girls will remember the scent of Cella. Guarlain's L'Homme Ideal had me excited for two minutes, the top notes were very similar to this cherished almond scent. Then it turned to your standard synthetic designer number. Enter Kanat. Somehow the outcome of this fragrance reminds me of Cella. It's impeccable! But again, just like Liquo, it's a real fragrance. Unlike, say, Demeter fragrances, which are just trying to capture a moment, this has depth and dimensions. White florals are obvious. Now that I read the notes, I can detect the peach and apricot too. By some strange alchemy this fragrance, which is a fruity floral on paper, manages to capture the scent of my beloved shaving soap. Alfarom mentioned that for him Kanat is also very nostalgic and evocative: it takes him back to his youth and him using Coccoina, which is a almond scented glue. I sprayed this before reading his review and the connection was obvious and instant. Thus alfarom's review didn't effect my interpretation.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    This is getting from bad to worse - financially speaking. If I would have to rate Liquo and Aer, I'd give Liquo 9/10 and Aer 7.5/10. Now I'm wearing Kanat, and I really don't want to rate it at all. Me loving it is very personal and I can't seem to take any objective stance towards this fragrance.

I'm an avid wet shaver and Italian shaving soap Cella is my absolute favourite. It has very beautiful almond scent and I've used it for ages. My mother always tells me how one of her cherished memories is his father wet shaving. She can still recall the scent of the shaving soap. I've always hoped (kind of naive and pathetic) that my three little girls will remember the scent of Cella. Guarlain's L'Homme Ideal had me excited for two minutes, the top notes were very similar to this cherished almond scent. Then it turned to your standard synthetic designer number. Enter Kanat. Somehow the outcome of this fragrance reminds me of Cella. It's impeccable! But again, just like Liquo, it's a real fragrance. Unlike, say, Demeter fragrances, which are just trying to capture a moment, this has depth and dimensions. White florals are obvious. Now that I read the notes, I can detect the peach and apricot too. By some strange alchemy this fragrance, which is a fruity floral on paper, manages to capture the scent of my beloved shaving soap. Alfarom mentioned that for him Kanat is also very nostalgic and evocative: it takes him back to his youth and him using Coccoina, which is a almond scented glue. I sprayed this before reading his review and the connection was obvious and instant. Thus alfarom's review didn't effect my interpretation.
    As a daily user of Cella shaving soap myself with its unmistakablely sublime aroma, you have me super-eager for my sample pack to arrive.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Unfortunately after two hours Kanat loses its edge and becomes light and pleasant white floral musk fragrance. Still very nice, but not very interesting (or Cella-like). Aer has somewhat similar problem. First two hours is very crisp and salty vetiver, after that it's more generic woody scent without the bite in the beginning.

Liquo and Rosarium are the strongest from the four I've tried because they are enjoyable from top to bottom. Their identity and structure is intact also in the drydown.

Well, I received my package last week, but was away, so today was the first opportunuity to start sniffing. ´These are only first impressions, but after three scents what I can say is that the house, to my nose, is firmly place within the olfactory frame of reference of contemporary niche. I must admit, what I love about Dominique Dubrana's work is, that his natural fragrances trans end that tiring paradigm while avoiding aromtherapy clichés. I love him for that. Of course you can do good work within the confines of the standard niche materials. The packaging is stylishly understated with black dominating the layout. The feel, as described by the other gentlemen, is medieval rural gothic.

I started with Hatria on a strip and was bored after 2 seconds, terribly recognizable rose and "oud" combo, rather static with a soapy vibe developing, decent but really, it's incredible been there done that.

Rosarium I instantly liked. I would call it pagan incense, as pagan as Christianity among the people was in the 12th century. It's herbaceous-green (juniper, ionones, celery seed) incense that grows powdery (carrot seed/ iris) and a bit smokey (vetiver/vanilla, wood notes) in time. Very good indeed.

Liquo reminds me of Undergreen black, but the licorice note is even sharper, but also fuller. Very straightforward, yet subtly complex, in a Caron pour un homme kind of way (the style, not the actual smell, though there is lavender and coumarin and tonka here). Another winner.

Power Where You Need It

Thank you for your report the_good_life. What I find particularly interesting about this line is the overall medieval-rural vibe juxtaposed to a certain polish that's definitely more inherent to bigger niche brands than to *artisanal* fragrances. Anyway, I'm currently working on an interview with the people behind this brand to be published later in may on the Basenotes news section in which they explain how they work. It's pretty interesting because they basically do everything by themselves...from top to bottom…including several extractions.