Code of Conduct
Page 373 of 382 FirstFirst ... 273 323 363 371 372 373 374 375 ... LastLast
Results 11,161 to 11,190 of 11437
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

L'Homme Rochas - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Moschino - Toy Boy

Blog Entries

Mr Burberry Indigo and Mugler Ultimate.

Ultimate is pretty boring, I was intrigued by the fir note, and/or possible coniferous accords. Sadly, it's a mostly tonka heavy scent with a sweet gourmand dry down. It reminds me of Pure Tonka the most from the series, while the opening has some shades of Kryptomint or Ultrazest (the familiar sweet tonka note in them). I am beginning to get some sort of Robitussen like smell in the drydown of Ultimate, at this point, finding it a little more interesting than its boring opening. Certainly some kind of bitter medicinal vibe, but it's more unique at this point.

Other hand is Mr. Burberry Indigo. It was a free sample with the A*Men Ultimate. Actually like this, it's pretty nice, and reminds me of the dry down of CK Eternity Aqua, but much stronger. Also reminds me of Jaguar Pace. It's a good fresh frag, much better than the first 2 from the series imho.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Moschino Toy Boy
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Basenotes Junkie

Musk Lave.jpg
    Agar De Noir.jpg
    Musk Lave & Agar de Noir
    Currently wearing: Borneo Zen by Ensar Oud

Basenotes Plus

Maison Francis Kurkdjian - L'Homme ŕ la Rose

I'm not sure on notes yet, but from what I smell.. rose, yes, but like, some kind of complex citrus type element. But it's not SUPER fresh, not sharp, but it's somewhat delicate. This is actually really nice, IMO.
    I wouldn't necessarily think this screams 'MASCULINE!', but rather feminine marketed or unisex. But I like this so far!
    Edit: I'd say unisex, not feminine marketed now. Still enjoying it.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Ambra Aurea by Profumum

Basenotes Junkie

Grandenia.jpg
    Ghaliyah Reflection.jpg
    Areej Le Doré Grandenia
    &
    Ghaliya Reflection By Amelia

Aventus 10th Year Anniversary - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie SchoolHouseRocky's Avatar

Paco Rabanne PH(current formulation). Don't care much for the opening, because it reminds me so much of old Irish Spring soap (which we had when I was a kid, and I never really cared for it), but the dry down is excellent. Sadly, it essentially vanished from my skin after about 4 hours.

Someday, I'll have to try a vintage version of this (and AzPH) just so I can know how good it used to be...
    Current Favorites:
    Invasion Barbare, Costume National Homme, Millesime Imperial, Rehab, Naxos, Mefisto, Fahrenheit (EDT and Le Parfum), Azzaro PH, Rive Gauche PH, Ganymede, Clive Christian X, Ombre Leather

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    We all need to wear the GREAT stuff more often.
    I agree. That is a lesson many of us need to learn

Aventus 10th Anniversary

Basenotes Junkie

Rising Mysore 2.jpg
    Rising Mysore 2

Houbigant Fougere Royale 2010 - man, it's signature worthy. Such a beautiful blend, I can't stop sniffing my arm. I know, I know this is not a very complicated scent, but honestly: who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftScent View Post
    Moschino - Toy Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Moschino Toy Boy
    What were your impressions?
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    What were your impressions?
    It was okay-ish. Very much stands out among mainstream masculines, in fact it smells closer to a conventional feminine than unisex. Lots of pink pepper, besides rose. I didn't like it as much because throughout the first 1/3 - 1/2 life of the fragrance, there is a sour / vinegar-y note, similar to Paestum Rose. Paestum Rose is a bit more abstract whereas this one is much less so. Drydown loses the sourness, is more of an understated woody-amber with tinges of the rose-pink pepper accord and without any sweetness.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend this one (at least at retail) where one could just get La Fille de Berlin or Eau de Protection for not much more.

It was okay-ish. Very much stands out among mainstream masculines, in fact it smells closer to a conventional feminine than unisex. Lots of pink pepper, besides rose. I didn't like it as much because throughout the first 1/3 - 1/2 life of the fragrance, there is a sour / vinegar-y note, similar to Paestum Rose. Paestum Rose is a bit more abstract whereas this one is much less so. Drydown loses the sourness, is more of an understated woody-amber with tinges of the rose-pink pepper accord and without any sweetness.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend this one (at least at retail) where one could just get La Fille de Berlin or Eau de Protection for not much more.
    I already expected that more experienced noses might not be as thrilled (this was my first rose after all), still I like it a lot. There is something about the freshness of the rose embedded in something I can only describe as “opaque“/artificially leathery that intrigues me. I will try other roses in the future, but even if in time it shows as only having been a gateway, I‘m glad Thanks for your detailed description!

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    I already expected that more experienced noses might not be as thrilled (this was my first rose after all), still I like it a lot. There is something about the freshness of the rose embedded in something I can only describe as “opaque“/artificially leathery that intrigues me. I will try other roses in the future, but even if in time it shows as only having been a gateway, I‘m glad Thanks for your detailed description!
    Sure, if you like sour roses then this one could be the one. It's more casual, light-hearted than something like Paestum Rose. Just curious, what's your Lutens to-try list?

Sure, if you like sour roses then this one could be the one. It's more casual, light-hearted than something like Paestum Rose. Just curious, what's your Lutens to-try list?
    It‘s in my wardrobe (test list), but I might add one or two (not sure yet which), as it‘s pretty bell jar heavy at the moment.

After reading many a praises on the "interwebs", having been starved of new experiences, I gave into the hype and picked up a bottle of Lush's Dad's Lemon Tree body spray from the local boutique. I don't know what the rest of the folks are smoking but this is a rather plain and mediocre supermarket body mist. Just a straightforward ordinary lemon spritz that last all of 30 minutes on my skin. I should have bought a 10 oz bottle of Alvarez Gomez for the same money.

Bois d'Argent, by Christian Dior. Smells great but reminds me of Dior Homme Intense.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

War and Peace - didn't care for it.

Mancera Instant Crush - The saffron and florals are blended very nicely. This is instantly likable when it is first applied, and remains so throughout the dry down. I can see the comparisons to BR540. The scent is quite sweet, but it's very nice! Feminine, but could be worn by a man IMO.

1725 Casanova - Comes off as a bit harsh. The lavender and woody notes are quite nice, but I don't really care for the licorice. Interesting scent, but it's a pass for me.
    Last edited by PrinceRF; 20th September 2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Correction to name of perfume

All Is Beautiful

Cool Water. Lancaster edition. I enjoyed it.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Histoires de Parfums 1828 - Bright, masculine citrus and eucalyptus which is quite a joy to smell right from the first spray. Green peppery vetiver reveals itself as it dries down into a very light and airy scent. Pretty well done IMO.

Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114 - Smooth creamy amber. Warming. Has musk and vanilla in which the dry down is reminiscent of that of Musc Ravageur. Gorgeous rose note, and I'm not even a fan of rose, generally. Definitely unisex, and I'd be elated to smell this on anyone. Thumbs up.

Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli - Green, mossy, earthy patchouli. Kind of dank. It's a nice patchouli scent, but nothing special to me.

Xerjoff Homme - A mature, elegant spiced leather in a similar vein as Puredistance M. Excellent woodiness that smells expensive and refined. There is something different about this scent, and something familiar. I need to give it another wear, but so far it's promising!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    1740 Casanova - Comes off as a bit harsh. The lavender and woody notes are quite nice, but I don't really care for the licorice. Interesting scent, but it's a pass for me.
    Was a bit confused because I first fought 'Ooh harsh - interesting - 1740? He means Marquis de Sade" but then I read "lavender and licorice" so I knew you did meant 1725 Casanova which I found super smooth with only a touch of licorice (don't enjoy licorice that much either!)

Oud Luwak - didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Was a bit confused because I first fought 'Ooh harsh - interesting - 1740? He means Marquis de Sade" but then I read "lavender and licorice" so I knew you did meant 1725 Casanova which I found super smooth with only a touch of licorice (don't enjoy licorice that much either!)
    I'm sorry for the confusion. I've edited the original post.

Tempest by Al Kimiya - funky oud made totally wearable by a delicious and unique combination of fresh lemon and bergamot, interesting woody notes, and a musky patchouli base. Florals are not overwhelming. Tempest is rich and sophisticated, but could be worn daily... if that's your style. A very nice fragrance overall.

Hayat by Al Kimiya - The bitter orange and oud combination is delectable, making this scent far more interesting than Tempest IMO. The oud is not funky and animalic, nor is it plastic or bandaid-like, but rather it's earthy, dark and damp. Hayat comes off as a little more "special occasion" as it's got some darker aspects to it. Wear this one if you want to make an impression. I like it a lot.

Atelier Des Ors Aube Rubis - Sweet, fruity, boring.

Atelier Des Ors Larmes du Desert - Now this is a pretty good middle eastern style fragrance. It's got a smoky incense and some dry cedar and smells like how I'd imagine a warm desert. Patchouli reveals itself soon into the dry down which makes the scent feel a little more alive than just dry and smokey. Interesting concept that others have done better.

Atelier Des Ors Cuir Sacre - Woodsy, earthy leather. Not very strong and not what I'd call a good choice for the leather category. Has some dark vetiver reminiscent of Encre Noire. Doesn't smell bad, but it's quite a let down, especially for the price.

This line is not for me.

Page 373 of 382 FirstFirst ... 273 323 363 371 372 373 374 375 ... LastLast