Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Dependent thatmakesscents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Left Coast , USA
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Hello,

    Can someone tell me if these two fragrances smell similar ? I used to love Dark Aoud but have stopped buying Montale fragrances. A reviewer on another forum mentioned the two were similar and OI was actually a higher end version of DA. WOW if that is the case count me in but how is the longevity and sillage ????


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    6,110

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    I have both and I guess they are similar in some ways. Oud Imperial black is superior in quality ingredients and IMHO a much more refined and well blended scent. Maybe not quite as flamboyant as the Montal (few are), but longevity is impressive. I personally can't judge sillage but it seems impressive too.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

  3. #3

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Hello,

    Can someone tell me if these two fragrances smell similar ? I used to love Dark Aoud but have stopped buying Montale fragrances. A reviewer on another forum mentioned the two were similar and OI was actually a higher end version of DA. WOW if that is the case count me in but how is the longevity and sillage ????


    Thanks
    If you love Dark Aoud why don't you buy the Montale?

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    327,301

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I used to love Dark Aoud but have stopped buying Montale fragrances.
    Thatmakesscents, if you don't mind my asking, any particular reason why you stopped buying Montale fragrances?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Ive got the black version. I don't think it's even on the same page as Dark Aoud.

    I have a bottle of 2011 Dark Aoud, and I feel your pain OP. And refuse to buy anything from Montale as well, for a couple years now actually.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

  6. #6
    Dependent thatmakesscents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Left Coast , USA
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Ive got the black version. I don't think it's even on the same page as Dark Aoud.

    I have a bottle of 2011 Dark Aoud, and I feel your pain OP. And refuse to buy anything from Montale as well, for a couple years now actually.
    Thanks. What do you mean when you say it isn't on the same page.... smell or quality ?

  7. #7
    Dependent thatmakesscents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Left Coast , USA
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thatmakesscents, if you don't mind my asking, any particular reason why you stopped buying Montale fragrances?
    You need to ask ??????? Performance sir......PERFORMANCE. I don't buy chit that doesn't last or project...EVER AGAIN. I've wasted too much money on junk. I wish I could trade them in for some cotton broadcloth boxer shorts......my latest obsession.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Thanks. What do you mean when you say it isn't on the same page.... smell or quality ?
    The smell. I don't think they're even close in smell.
    And actually, I haven't found anything that smells close to Dark Aoud.
    When I'm done with the bottle I have now, I'll be very sad to see it go.

    Oud Imperial Black can be found at select Neimans. I think you should be able to get samples on eBay though if you want to check it out for yourself. It's a very dry, Incense and spice sort of thing. VERY strong. Much stronger than the gold version. It's good stuff, but smells nothing like Dark Aoud.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

  9. #9
    Dependent thatmakesscents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Left Coast , USA
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    The smell. I don't think they're even close in smell.
    And actually, I haven't found anything that smells close to Dark Aoud.
    When I'm done with the bottle I have now, I'll be very sad to see it go.

    Oud Imperial Black can be found at select Neimans. I think you should be able to get samples on eBay though if you want to check it out for yourself. It's a very dry, Incense and spice sort of thing. VERY strong. Much stronger than the gold version. It's good stuff, but smells nothing like Dark Aoud.

    Thank You this is very helpful information. If I like Dior Leather Oud Montale DA or Mona Di Orio's Oud will I like OI ?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Thank You this is very helpful information. If I like Dior Leather Oud Montale DA or Mona Di Orio's Oud will I like OI ?
    OI is VERY dry, heavy incense, a little bit of woods, and spices. I love Leather Oud too. Mona di Orio's Oud is not really one of my favorites, but I do like it occasionally.
    Having said that, I think you might at least appreciate OI since it's so dry, and I think we can agree you seem to like dry perfumes. Dark Aoud and Leather Oud are definitely dry to me. MdO has a dryness to it as well.

    So I think you should at least try it, sample it. It's pretty unique, don't blind buy.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

  11. #11
    Dependent thatmakesscents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Left Coast , USA
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    OI is VERY dry, heavy incense, a little bit of woods, and spices. I love Leather Oud too. Mona di Orio's Oud is not really one of my favorites, but I do like it occasionally.
    Having said that, I think you might at least appreciate OI since it's so dry, and I think we can agree you seem to like dry perfumes. Dark Aoud and Leather Oud are definitely dry to me. MdO has a dryness to it as well.

    So I think you should at least try it, sample it. It's pretty unique, don't blind buy.

    OK will do. Thank You so much for responding.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Sorry, can't answer your question. But I never thought of Montale being weak. Can't remember specifically on Dark Oud, but Black Oud and Aoud Musk are strong fragrances, both in longevity and projection. First time I hear on this house being weak in performance.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    Sorry, can't answer your question. But I never thought of Montale being weak. Can't remember specifically on Dark Oud, but Black Oud and Aoud Musk are strong fragrances, both in longevity and projection. First time I hear on this house being weak in performance.
    Lot of their fragrances went through reformulations in 2012 and became more watered down, they are many threads on this in the archives.
    Though with the current boutique which has just opened, they will be able to do that 40-50% concentrations they use to do prior to the Vendome store closing.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Even with the supposed watering down their scents are still powerfull. No need for a scent to smell it for 48h.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Even with the supposed watering down their scents are still powerfull. No need for a scent to smell it for 48h.
    +1 on this

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Oud Imperial Black Bottle Similar To Montale Dark Aoud ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    Lot of their fragrances went through reformulations in 2012 and became more watered down, they are many threads on this in the archives.
    Though with the current boutique which has just opened, they will be able to do that 40-50% concentrations they use to do prior to the Vendome store closing.
    Don't know if I got correctly what you've said... Are they bringing a new line or something with the earlier concentrations?




Similar Threads

  1. does montale dark aoud smell similar to duro or better ?
    By bloodhound.md in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16th April 2013, 08:33 AM
  2. How different is Dark Aoud by Montale from Black Aoud by Montale?
    By ELIshock in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 15th October 2012, 04:20 PM
  3. Similar to Montale Dark Aoud?
    By onethinline in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 19th July 2012, 10:02 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 5th July 2012, 08:01 PM
  5. Good substitute for Montale Black Aoud? C&S Dark Rose
    By finsfan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000