Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your Workplace Bravery Limit (mighty fragrance superheroes not included here)

What's the most potentially work unfriendly fragrance you'll happily wear for work? And which one do you want to but haven't been brave enough yet?

This isn't for those of you who'll wear anything for work without a problem, or those who get around it by wearing a quarter spray under a shirt. So please don't reply that you're afraid of nothing, or have a sneaky strategy

This is for those of you who genuinely get nervous about wearing something a bit out there.

I'm currently managing to wear Yatagan to work (office environment, both sexes well represented) with no grief. Have not yet been brave enough to wear Black Afgano but been tempted several times.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Sound Scents

Default Re: Your Workplace Bravery Limit (mighty fragrance superheroes not included here)

Anything in my wardrobe is fair game including my strongest powerhouses like vintage Giorgio for Men, which gets the most frequent use.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Default Re: Your Workplace Bravery Limit (mighty fragrance superheroes not included here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    Sampling, I took a bath (maybe 5 sprays) in Cuir de Russie before going into work and someone told me I reminded him of his late great aunt.

For something I have more than 5 ml of, Dior Homme Intense could be a bit much for the office; but I would do it with a light spray.

The Chanel men's line seems perfect for the office from my experience, so that's where I focus my purchasing.
    I wear DHI to work all through the colder months and with absolute abandon.. is it one to be careful with, would you say? Have never had any objections to it myself

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Anything in my wardrobe is fair game including my strongest powerhouses like vintage Giorgio for Men, which gets the most frequent use.
    Then you are a mighty fragrance superhero, and not who the thread was aimed at, as per my original post This is for those of us who worry about this sort of thing, not folk who will wear anything anywhere

I do get nervous but I wouldn't hesitate to wear something animalic. A light application of Fetish Pour Homme Parfum or Absolue Pour or Soir would be on the table. My main concern would be that my fragrance is not challenging AND powerful/inescapable at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    It probably smells too good for someone to object, but the projection is so strong, I would go lightly on this one for work. The vibe is a little bit off for the office.
    I didn't realise it projected that much to be honest, although I've noticed that it sits on a tie for days and weeks after initial spray Perhaps I should be more careful with it, right enough.

I am hesitant wearing strong fragrances usually to work, but I wore Black Afgano to work, three sprays , but under the shirt. Had no problems. I want to wear Clive Christian X and C to work , but haven't done that yet.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- 40 knots by Xerjoff
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Mamluk by Xerjoff
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Back to Black , by Kilian
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Richwood by Xerjoff

I always take my audience into consideration therefore there are certain types of fragrances I will never wear to work. Mostly strong leathers, very smoky and heavy ouds, and strong animalic scents. I think the general mentality of "wear whatever you feel like" is misguided.
    Current Top Picks:

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge Dress Code
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One EDP
    Hermes- Ambre Narguile
    Parfums de Marly - Herod
    Christian Dior - Fève Délicieuse
    Parfums de Marly - Oajan
    Imaginary Authors - Memoirs of a Trespasser
    Montale - Aoud Leather
    Creed - Aventus

Basenotes Plus

I'm now reluctant to wear any extrait strength fragrances to work because the few times I wore Roja pafums to work I had a lineup of complaints bombarding me, but I did overspray a little and was being inconsiderate. So I think I would be better off not wearing things like Roja, Nasomatto, Puredistance or Slumberhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    I'm now reluctant to wear any extrait strength fragrances to work because the few times I wore Roja pafums to work I had a lineup of complaints bombarding me, but I did overspray a little and was being inconsiderate. So I think I would be better off not wearing things like Roja, Black Afgano, Puredistance or Slumberhouse.
    May I ask which Rojas and how many sprays you used of each? I've done Vetiver and Danger Pour Homme Parfum plenty of times, which has only gotten me compliments. I don't know if I'm over spraying or under spraying, but I use between 1 and 3 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by noFragsleft View Post
    I always take my audience into consideration therefore there are certain types of fragrances I will never wear to work. Mostly strong leathers, very smoky and heavy ouds, and strong animalic scents. I think the general mentality of "wear whatever you feel like" is misguided.
    Agree!

Between this and the "reapply" thread there a bunch of Cologne Guys that are going to cause more workplaces to ban fragrances. Some people need to start using some common sense...
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    May I ask which Rojas and how many sprays you used of each? I've done Vetiver and Danger Pour Homme Parfum plenty of times, which has only gotten me compliments. I don't know if I'm over spraying or under spraying, but I use between 1 and 3 sprays.
    Actually Vetiver Extrait is ok for work as I don't find that one project as much as the others. But the 2 that got me in trouble were Fetish Parfum PH and Reckless Parfum PH, I had 3 sprays, considering that the Roja sprayers are quite generous 3 sprays on these could be deadly. Those 2 gave me the "Cologne guy" reputation at work.

I will wear anything in my wardrobe to the office, but I never wear enough to constitute an act of bravery.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Actually Vetiver Extrait is ok for work as I don't find that one project as much as the others. But the 2 that got me in trouble were Fetish Parfum PH and Reckless Parfum PH, I had 3 sprays, considering that the Roja sprayers are quite generous 3 sprays on these could be deadly. Those 2 gave me the "Cologne guy" reputation at work.
    I find that Vetiver Extrait is very professional and can be sprayed a bit more. I go 2-3 on that one. And I can especially see how 3 sprays of Fetish would be a lot. The most I've ever done with Fetish is one spray to the base of the neck and one to a wrist. In a professional setting I would feel totally comfortable wearing one spray though.

Perhaps it might be worth giving the one spray trick a shot if you feel like wearing it at some point? 1 spray with heavier extraits like Fetish gives one a nice scent bubble, but not so much that it projects and grabs a ton of attention. That 1 spray is probably equivalent to 2-3 sprays of a weaker fragrance.

I'm ok with wearing Fahrenheit to work but just cannot bring myself to wear Leather Oud to work. A step too far especially as the fecal civet aspects come out when your body temperature rises.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Chanel Cuir de Russie Edp/Extrait
    2. Chanel Coromandel Edp
    3. Chanel 1957 Edp
    4. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    5. Eau de Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    I find that Vetiver Extrait is very professional and can be sprayed a bit more. I go 2-3 on that one. And I can especially see how 3 sprays of Fetish would be a lot. The most I've ever done with Fetish is one spray to the base of the neck and one to a wrist. In a professional setting I would feel totally comfortable wearing one spray though.

Perhaps it might be worth giving the one spray trick a shot if you feel like wearing it at some point? 1 spray with heavier extraits like Fetish gives one a nice scent bubble, but not so much that it projects and grabs a ton of attention. That 1 spray is probably equivalent to 2-3 sprays of a weaker fragrance.
    Totally agree with you. I would definitely go with 1 spray if I ever find the courage to wear Fetish (the EDP is also really potent) again at work. But I do really enjoy wearing Vetiver Extrait to work, in fact I wore it a lot this spring (3 sprays also) and no complaints for that one.

I have no problem wearing anything to work, but I have accidentally been a little too trigger happy with DHI and Aventus.

Basenotes Plus

I'll wear Fahrenheit 32 to work. It's On the sweet floral side and a bit work-adventurous for me. I'd like to wear One Man Show to work. Seems almost doable, but for now only on slow Fridays when most everyone else is off..

Last place I worked that was in an office space with a sea of cubicles, I didn't wear fragrances there (wasn't into them at that point). However, if I was, I wouldn't have been able to experiment, as there was some woman who wore her perfume a bit too liberally... which incited complaints and then a human resources policy change -- no colognes or perfumes that can be smelled by others. Otherwise, you have to resolve it on the premises or go home. I guess it would be useful to have a potent fragrance on hand. Having a bad day? Spray away, then wait for the bell to ring.
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo

I'm wearing 1 Million at work time to time. And it gets noticed every time

I have worn just about every fragrance I own to work except for one. Keep in mind I'm going through an 80s powerhouse phase right now and have worn all the ones I own to work. The one I haven't worn yet is Muscs Kublai Khan by Serge Lutens. I am apprehensive because to some it would smell like I'm a couple days past due for a shower. In most cases I couldn't care less but for work I just don't feel it's appropriate for me.

An easy way to get away with accidental overspraying at work is to stick to unisex fragrances. Nothing clearly masculine, dark, woody, harsh, or animalic. People may not forgive you for smelling like a wannabe girl magnet but they will forgive you for smelling like a mobile flower garden.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Last place I worked that was in an office space with a sea of cubicles, I didn't wear fragrances there (wasn't into them at that point). However, if I was, I wouldn't have been able to experiment, as there was some woman who wore her perfume a bit too liberally... which incited complaints and then a human resources policy change -- no colognes or perfumes that can be smelled by others. Otherwise, you have to resolve it on the premises or go home. I guess it would be useful to have a potent fragrance on hand. Having a bad day? Spray away, then wait for the bell to ring.
    Equivalent to a spy carrying a poisen pill? Six hits of Kouros should do the trick :-)

As a general rule, would hardly ever use on such occasion anything that surpasses a fragrance live Rive Gauche pour Homme in terms of longevity
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I work from home, but there are women and children present so I don't go over the top.

Tbh at most places I've worked the major culprits have always been, older women who overdo it on some floral spray or the gym guy who sprays himself liberally with Lynx after his post cycle into work shower and then again after his lunchtime run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dependent

I wear it all. Leather oud. MFK APLS. Vintage Kouros.
    No worries or hesitation . Office work.
    Vanilla bombs are more offensive I think.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Back when I worked in an office setting, I wore a lot of things in my collection. But I usually wore Straight to Heaven, as it was an ad agency (of course, a Mad Men boozing-up connection), and one coworker loved wearing liberal doses of A*Men and its flankers (that's one brave guy right there).

I'm now working from home, so I can wear anything I want when I'm here (and in the winter, bring on the Intoxicated and Leather Oud). But when I will go to a client, however, I plan to stick to citrus and woods fragrances that are light and/or can be lightly applied. Fragrances like Geranium Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage, Bamboo Harmony, Encre Noire, and Musk Oud will be my usual fragrances for these types of meetings.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

I use all of these for work (considered as projection beast by some):
    Tuscan Leather (3 sprays)
    Tobacco Vanille (2 sprays)
    Oud Wood (4-5 sprays)
    Noir de Noir (2-3 sprays)
    Aventus (5 sprays)

axe dark temptation or GTFO
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

I don't qualify for your scenario but Rien would be a good gauge.
    for swap/sale: