Code of Conduct

Default Mixing carrier oils?

I'm a complete neophyte at perfume making and in fact this is my first attempt. I've tried searching past threads but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. .

I can buy my favorite essential oils in absolute or already diluted. I'd prefer the pre-diluted ones asit seems to eliminate one source of potential problems. The caveat with the ones that are diluted is that they use different carrier oils. For example, labdanum is diluted in sunflower oil while say, Tonka bean is diluted in fractionated coconut oil.

Is this an issue for creating a perfume whereby you'd have essential oils diluted in 2 different carrier oils?

Is it better or at least, does it produce more satisfying results by opting for absolute essential oils and diluting them myself in a single carrier oil?

My plan would be to mix this homemade perfume with a simple recipe of perhaps 3 basenotes, 2 heart notes, and 2 head notes then letting it age in a dark bottle for several weeks.

I'm in a state where the highest proof of alcohol I can get is 151. In addition, I have rather dry skin and imagine using a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil can't hurt and maybe it will hold the scents a bit longer on my skin. Finally, I've got small samples of the essential oils diluted in the above oil from when I was training my nose and I even enjoy how the diluted oils smell.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Elle_Driver; 30th July 2015 at 11:55 PM.

Default Re: Mixing carrier oils?

I've thought about this issue as well. Personally, I decided to avoid buying any extracts which are pre-diluted in oil. If you want them diluted, why not do that yourself? Fractionated coconut oil is fine to use as your carrier. I used it for a couple different projects including an anti allergy spray and I liked it!

It will probably be OK to mix various carrier oils together; as far as I am aware, Coconut oil and Sunflower oil are miscible . However, if you do use pre-diluted Essential oils , and they have been diluted with a fixed oil you will probably not be able to use ethanol for your final product. Generally Ethanol and fixed oils are not soluble, depending upon the amounts used, of course.

Thank you for the replies!

I'm going to stick with only oils as I can't get anything beyond 151 proof alcohol.