Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default 500 Greatest Modern Perfumes

500 Modern Classic Perfumes

Basenotes celebrates its 15th Birthday in September 2015. Over those years we’ve seen lots of perfumes come, and (sadly) lots of perfumes go.

We’ve compiled a list of the 500 greatest fragrance launched in the time we’ve been around – modern classics if you like.

Some of the perfumes are made by international corporations, and some by an indie perfumer in their back-room. Some sell by the bucketload, and some are no longer available. Some would cost you hundreds of dollars, others you could pick up for less then $10.

They are ranked from 500 to 1, but please don’t get hung up on the order. All of these perfumes deserve a sniff if you have the chance. They tell the story of the perfume industry over the last fifteen years, and each are important in their own way – which is why we're revealing the list one fragrance at a time, in roughly hourly intervals. The full list will have been revealed on 25th September 2015.

The first fragrance will make its appearance today (8th September, which is roughly when we launched 15 years ago*) at the following time:

12noon 3pm 8pm 9pm 12.30am 4am
    Los Angeles New York London Paris Mumbai Tokyo

How the list was compiled

Firstly we took all of the fragrances in our database that were launched between 2000 and the present. (Although Basenotes didn’t launch until September, we counted all fragrances launched that year).

We then took into account:

• star ratings (from wardrobes)
    • number of members who own the fragrance (from wardrobes)
    • number of people that want the fragrance (from wish lists)
    • number of people that wear the fragrance (from the Scent of the Day feature)
    • ratio of positive vs negative reviews (from reviews)
    • page views (over the last 6 months)

Let us know your comments

Feel free to speculate on what you think might be in the list, or comment on the list once things get going.

Grant

View the list

* Can't remember the exact date...
    Last edited by Grant; 9th September 2015 at 04:37 PM.

Default Re: 500 Greatest Modern Perfumes

I've finally finished this, so I'm making this thread live. This has taken me all summer, practically!

The list will start tomorrow but I'd be interesting in what have been your favourites over the last 15 years..., and what you think might be the top ten?

If based on popularity - Eau Sauvage edt, Fahrenheit, Acqua di Gio, GIT, Aventus, Platinum Egoiste might make the top 10.

Nobile, Eau Sauvage edt, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Egoiste, Antaeus, Derby, Knize Ten, Bel Ami will be among the contenders for my top 10 spot.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    If based on popularity - Eau Sauvage edt, Fahrenheit, Acqua di Gio, GIT, Aventus, Platinum Egoiste might make the top 10.

Nobile, Eau Sauvage edt, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Egoiste, Antaeus, Derby, Knize Ten, Bel Ami will be among the contenders for my top 10 spot.
    Just to clarify -- its of fragrance launched since 2000, so of yours, I think only Aventus would qualify...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Just to clarify -- its of fragrance launched since 2000, so of yours, I think only Aventus would qualify...
    Okay thats weird, the first post isn't showing. I'll see if I can fix that....

Edit: fixed

Okay, I'm impatient! First fragrance is going up in 30mins...

http://www.basenotes.net/spraylists/...dern-perfumes/

Basenotes Plus

Yay, Happy Birthday Basenotes! And Happy Anniversary to you, Grant! Thank you so much for creating this wonderfully educational and just all around amazing place. Thank you for putting up with us and for all your hard work. You must be a fragrant saint.

Hmmm, guesses-well, I'd think personally several Chanels should be there. Coco Mademoiselle of course but I'd really love to see some Exclusifs make the list. Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire maybe, as it seems to have brought them a new generation of clientele. Too many others to name and probably all tainted by my own biases. I know your choices will be great, even if different from some of my picks. Can't wait to see the list!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

This will be a great and revealing source of info.Thank you Grant for all your effort and time A wonderful way to celebrate Basenotes birthday!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Yay, Happy Birthday Basenotes! And Happy Anniversary to you, Grant! Thank you so much for creating this wonderfully educational and just all around amazing place. Thank you for putting up with us and for all your hard work. You must be a fragrant saint.

Hmmm, guesses-well, I'd think personally several Chanels should be there. Coco Mademoiselle of course but I'd really love to see some Exclusifs make the list. Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire maybe, as it seems to have brought them a new generation of clientele. Too many others to name and probably all tainted by my own biases. I know your choices will be great, even if different from some of my picks. Can't wait to see the list!
    You may be right with some of your picks! I didn't choose any of the list though -- it was all compiled by analysing 15 years worth of site data! (most of the work involved was trying to make sure as many of the 500 in the list had notes details, pictures, and picking reviews; oh and coding a super easy way to add them to wardrobes)

Community Manager

Really looking forward to seeing the list. I think Mugler will be near the top, with all the Pure-flankers.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

New ones since 2000, the year Basenotes started: Dior Homme, I'm guessing, will make the top 500!

Basenotes Plus

If Aventus isn't #1, I predict the site will self-immolate -- or at least it should.

j/k...

Basenotes Plus

You may be right with some of your picks! I didn't choose any of the list though -- it was all compiled by analysing 15 years worth of site data! (most of the work involved was trying to make sure as many of the 500 in the list had notes details, pictures, and picking reviews; oh and coding a super easy way to add them to wardrobes)
    Oh, I should have phrased that better! I did read how the list was compiled, not that you can tell from my post. Should have typed something to the effect of "the data's choices". Or something else altogether. Goodness, my brain is slow today!

Have just seen number 500! And I do not know this one. But I've had an idea; think I'll compile a to-sample list of those I haven't tried of the BN 500.

Damn around 2 weeks for the top 10, I'm impatient already

Well, well, whod have thought it? A Pell Wall perfume is the first out of the stocks in the top 500 list - Artemis gets to be last and first - how cool is that?

Thank you Basenoters!
    Battle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise..
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Well, well, who’d have thought it? A Pell Wall perfume is the first out of the stocks in the top 500 list - Artemis get’s to be last and first - how cool is that?

Thank you Basenoters!
    Well done Chris

What I love, love *love* about this list -- is that it really is a snapshot of the last 15 years (the next one's up now, and a great indication of the variety of scents included on this list) -- it covers big houses, small indie people and a whole bunch inbetween.

Sadly, about 10% of the list is discontinued......

I'm really looking forward to following this list, but I have one major reservation.....I can see myself being intrigued by a number of scents and it will end up costing me a fortune!

Happy 15th birthday Basenotes, and thank you Grant, for all your hard work over the years.

Basenotes Plus

Aramis Havana should be in the top 20.

Basenotes Plus

I am sure many will object to Fantasy, but it is actually a pleasant sweet fragrance similar to Escada Magnetism (for women) which has appealed to large numbers of young women.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Aramis Havana should be in the top 20.
    The list is for fragrances launched since 2000, so sadly not!

I am sure many will object to Fantasy, but it is actually a pleasant sweet fragrance similar to Escada Magnetism (for women) which has appealed to large numbers of young women.
    It is a decent scent! I think a lot of celeb scents get a bad rap, but putting a celeb's name on a scent is no different to putting that of a fashion designer in some cases.

#498 is up :)

Basenotes Plus

With Fantasy having more total neutrals and negatives than positives, I am surprised that it still made the list.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Bleu de Chanel has to be there somewhere in the 500.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

With Fantasy having more total neutrals and negatives than positives, I am surprised that it still made the list.
    Only just though!

It also takes into account wardrobe ratings, page views, wish lists etc -- not just reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bleu de Chanel has to be there somewhere in the 500.
    I couldn't possibly comment...

Blog Entries

What a fantastic way to celebrate, thanks for all the hard work you've put into this, Grant! The results will be very interesting.

My votes for modern classics go to Alien, Black Orchid & Carnal Flower.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    What a fantastic way to celebrate, thanks for all the hard work you've put into this, Grant! The results will be very interesting.
    I hope so!

This is fantastic! Happy birthday Basenotes! I can't wait to see more - the suspense is killing me!

The power of bleu

Oh Grant, what a cool idea! I can't wait to see what all makes the list.

I would think a few Serges would be up there ... maybe Chergui or Un Bois Vanille. I would also expect to see Aventus, Musc Ravageur, L'Air du Desert Marocain, LIDG, Dior Homme, Terre d'Hermes. OK, that's 8 that I think could be in the top 10.

Happy birthday to Basenotes!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 9th September 2015 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added more
    I've trademarked the color bleu
    Currently wearing: Max Mara by Max Mara