Code of Conduct
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Egoiste Platinum versus Platinum Egoiste

Comparing the original release (the bottle on the left is the 75 ml splash from 1995) versus the most recent version (the bottle on the right is the 100 ml spray from 2014), Platinum Egoiste has changed considerably.

The original is more floral, natural smelling, develops more/is less linear/has more phases. The florals make the original more feminine, perhaps; and more similar to modern niche florals.

The most recent reformulation, with a cap similar to the old splash bottle cap, is more intense, louder, more masculine, more linear, but still develops nicely for a current release. The metal shavings note or feel is there in the original briefly, but much more pronounced in the new formula. The newer version lasts a little longer, and stays more masculine.

The original dries down more unisex, floral. The newer version dries down grittier, edgier, more metallic, but still with a hint of a possible softer side.

For me, this one has changed more than Egoiste. The original Egoiste Platinum probably edges out the modern Platinum Egoiste, although I could imagine fans of more modern fragrances or people who don't appreciate florals preferring the new formulation; and acquiring the original has not really dampened my enthusiasm for the current release. I like alternating between them or wearing a different version on each arm.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Egoiste Platinum versus Platinum Egoiste

Good observation. Thanks.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Got my large spray when it was first launched but never noticed the difference in the bottle graphic. Now I am curious to see what mine has.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting. I tried it at launch but have never felt the need to revisit it.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishlee View Post
    Interesting. I tried it at launch but have never felt the need to revisit it.
    From the name, you would think it might not be for everyone. If Egoiste is selfish, Egoiste Platinum is selfishness taken to a new level.

For me it's nice as a work fragrance, where business is cutthroat, and you have to look out for yourself.

One of my all time Favs and will always own it. Just purchased the shower gel and deo spray. The deo spray smells amazing. I've been wearing this the pas 2 days and will wear again today. Interesting observations. I've noticed the same.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sounds like it has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

Comparing the original release (the bottle on the left is the 75 ml splash from 1995) versus the most recent version (the bottle on the right is the 100 ml spray from 2014), Platinum Egoiste has changed considerably.

The original is more floral, natural smelling, develops more/is less linear/has more phases. The florals make the original more feminine, perhaps; and more similar to modern niche florals.

The most recent reformulation, with a cap similar to the old splash bottle cap, is more intense, louder, more masculine, more linear, but still develops nicely for a current release. The metal shavings note or feel is there in the original briefly, but much more pronounced in the new formula. The newer version lasts a little longer, and stays more masculine.

The original dries down more unisex, floral. The newer version dries down grittier, edgier, more metallic, but still with a hint of a possible softer side.

For me, this one has changed more than Egoiste. The original Egoiste Platinum probably edges out the modern Platinum Egoiste, although I could imagine fans of more modern fragrances or people who don't appreciate florals preferring the new formulation; and acquiring the original has not really dampened my enthusiasm for the current release. I like alternating between them or wearing a different version on each arm.
    I own all three versions (also the pe-current) and comparing the 75ml splash to the current (as of 2014) I do not agree with all of your assesments unforunately.

On my skin and to my nose the vintage splash is:

- louder than current (the current is loud for 15 mins and then settles considerably while vintage goes on!)
    - way more masculine than current version as it smells darker, stronger and less fresh (could be a matter of taste though of course)
    - The metal shavings note as you call it (the ''metallic geranium'' smell if you will) is much more lasting in the vintage. My splash shows this note for over 30 mins in a very strong way while in the current it vanishes pretty quickly and is hardly there anyway.
    - On my skin the vintage lasts much longer and is much heavier on the projection part when the openings are over. Meaning the vintage has a way longer heart stage and the 2014 goes quicker to the drydown with below average projection (on my skin that is) while the vintage arrives at that stage much later.
    - The newer version dries down less grittier, less edgier and less metallic and softer.

I do like the new 2014 version but to me it is (like the first reformulation in rectangular bottle) still a watered down version with a less sharp heart stage (less geranium and lavender for sure) and a pretty soft drydown. The main difference with the first reformulation is that they gave the 2014 version a sharper opening (more geranium?!).

That is how I see the differences (all imo)

Are there more people who can make a comparison between these two specific versions?
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I own all three versions (also the pe-current) and comparing the 75ml splash to the current (as of 2014) I do not agree with all of your assesments unforunately.

- louder than current (the current is loud for 15 mins and then settles considerably while vintage goes on!)
    - way more masculine than current version as it smells darker, stronger and less fresh (could be a matter of taste though of course)
    - The metal shavings note as you call it (the ''metallic geranium'' smell if you will) is much more lasting in the vintage. My splash shows this note for over 30 mins in a very strong way while in the current it vanishes pretty quickly and is hardly there anyway.
    - On my skin the vintage lasts much longer and is much heavier on the projection part when the openings are over. Meaning the vintage has a way longer heart stage and the 2014 goes quicker to the drydown with below average projection (on my skin that is) while the vintage arrives at that stage much later.
    - The newer version dries down less grittier, less edgier and less metallic and softer.

I do like the new 2014 version but to me it is (like the first reformulation in rectangular bottle) still a watered down version with a less sharp heart stage (less geranium and lavender for sure) and a pretty soft drydown. The main difference with the first reformulation is that they gave the 2014 version a sharper opening (more geranium?!).

Are there more people who can make a comparison between these two specific versions?
    I love the opening on the newer formula, and I seem to have a powerful batch. Where the vintage shines or separates itself is in bringing out even more aspects in the development, different textures. In my newer bottle, the metallic geranium is dialed up, the way my nose is perceiving it.

I love the opening on the newer formula, and I seem to have a powerful batch. Where the vintage shines or separates itself is in bringing out even more aspects in the development, different textures. In my newer bottle, the metallic geranium is dialed up, the way my nose is perceiving it.
    Maybe my 75ml splash which I got second hand has a kind of turned for the better as it is really extremely strong (and dark even) compared to the other (reformulated) versions and very metallic!
    Ah well, it is still nice in all incarnations imo but vintage is best imo.
    My Top '12':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Great fragrance. Great pickup on the change of verbiage.
    Currently wearing: Tibetan Musk by Ensar Oud

Both weakhearts

The original is brilliant though

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post

I have Egoiste Platinum 75ml splash that I acquired recently, although on mine the "Eau de Toilette" is written under "CHANEL". If someone could comment on that and the approx year of production it would be greatly appreciated.
    I do agree with you on all the points you made. My splash bottle definitely smells richer, more complex, has better development, and an amazing dry-down that lasts. After acquiring the vintage splash bottle pictured, I have listed my current formulation bottle for sale, as I don't find myself reach for it now, the vintage takes precedence every time I want to apply Egoiste Platinum, which is pretty much every day lol. Even the pre 2014 version, the taller bottle, is much better than the current imho. Current one has very prominent peppermint/metalic note that to me brings this closer to Fierce, and gives it more modern feel, not necessarily better.
    Attachment 69993

Good call Phantom. I agree with each part of the analysis you've given.

I actually had a vintage 3.4 oz bottle of Egoiste Platinum that I've sold. The top notes were destroyed unfortunately but the scent development after they faded was so much better than the current stuff. I've settled on my 2, taller bottles from 2013. The one I had from 2016 was really minty. I sold that too.
    Facebook group: The Raffle Lounge --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/274183356447838/

Phantom, I think your bottle is from around 1997 to 2000. That's a guess based on Eau de Toilette being below Chanel and it still being a splash.

From my recent wearings, I love the original, but I've been more into the newest version. I agree it smells somewhat similar to Fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    I have Egoiste Platinum 75ml splash that I acquired recently, although on mine the "Eau de Toilette" is written under "CHANEL". If someone could comment on that and the approx year of production it would be greatly appreciated.
    I do agree with you on all the points you made. My splash bottle definitely smells richer, more complex, has better development, and an amazing dry-down that lasts. After acquiring the vintage splash bottle pictured, I have listed my current formulation bottle for sale, as I don't find myself reach for it now, the vintage takes precedence every time I want to apply Egoiste Platinum, which is pretty much every day lol. Even the pre 2014 version, the taller bottle, is much better than the current imho. Current one has very prominent peppermint/metalic note that to me brings this closer to Fierce, and gives it more modern feel, not necessarily better.
    Attachment 69993
    Thanks!
    I think many who say current is strong and ''like vintage'' should smell/wear this vintage splash version (or even early 2000-2005 bottle) to see what this fragrance really was like..
    My Top '12':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Thank you for the impressions and descriptions posted- realizing to not have personally tested the current version/release of this one so far, but also to have always enjoyed its (more) vintage editions
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Good reviews. That metallic note is the reason I stay away from them. It's a quite unique fresh scent, wonderful if you can go past it.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Good reviews. That metallic note is the reason I stay away from them. It's a quite unique fresh scent, wonderful if you can go past it.
    Yes, the metallic note can be bothersome to some people. I think it's even more pronounced in the latest formula, coupled with the peppermint/geranium smell. Missing those herbs and complexity of the previous formulations to balance it out. No metallic note in the vintage that I can detect though. If there's one, it must be very subtle and well blended.

- - - Updated - - -

Phantom, I think your bottle is from around 1997 to 2000. That's a guess based on Eau de Toilette being below Chanel and it still being a splash.

From my recent wearings, I love the original, but I've been more into the newest version. I agree it smells somewhat similar to Fierce.
    You seem to be quite familar with the different versions of PE, do you happen to know when did Chanel start putting labels on the bottom of the bottles instead of the engraved info on the older bottles? There was a tester at the department store with the larger cap/tall bottle and had the info engraved on the bottom, no label. It smelled pretty rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Just came back from testing PE at the Bay (large department store in Canada).The tester bottle at the Bay was the tall one, and I'm 99% positive it was the vintage version prior to 2005. The smell and development was almost identical to my vintage splash. This scent is so much different than the 2015 formulation, and I think it's really inappropriate to lure customers into buying a fragrance while having them sample the scent from a vintage formulation, and when they get home and open the package, they realize it's a different scent.
    I was also under the false impression on the differences between the current formulation and the previous one, thinking that I was testing the previous version and not the vintage. So the previous version is not as aromatic and complex as the vintage as everyone knows, and it's not that far off the current one. The current one opens up fresher, but to my nose it's more synthetic and minty, similar to Eternity. The previous version (tall bottle) has slightly greener opening, lasts longer on my skin, and projects better, whereas the current one seems to settle into a skin scent within less than an hour.
    Again, the vintage is the way to go if that is an option. To my nose it's a totally different scent from start to end, with some similarities to the other two formulations. Much more natural smelling, herbal, complex, luxurious dry-down and excellent projection and longevity.
    Nothing that's truly great lasts forever, nor did Egoiste Platinum. In the future for those of us who adore this scent, we'll have no choice but settle with whatever version of this scent Chanel gives us. As one youtuber said "stuff gets reformulated, bottles change, products change, we all change". At least we can be grateful that this is still in production and it maintains the original aroma to a certain degree.

13D567C7-DB91-4583-8A81-EC602CCCDE3A.jpg

I got my new “Egoiste Platinum” (smaller bottle) today in the mail. PE is one of my top 10 all time fragrances. The green, floral, and metallic notes all make for the perfect office or casual scent. So easy to wear and I have got several compliments from friends and co works from PE.

I know Egoiste Platinum is the older version but that’s about it. I was worried with it being old there would be wear and tear on the bottle and the top notes would be diminished. But the bottle looked like it was in mint condition and the smell is strong! There is a 3 digit code on the bottom so if anybody has any insight on the date range of this bottle that would be greatly appreciated. I can still smell it on the back of my hand after a couple of hours and the smell is deeper than my 2011 bottle on the left. I will need a few wearings to come to a definite conclusion but my first impression of this is GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post

I got my new “Egoiste Platinum” (smaller bottle) today in the mail. PE is one of my top 10 all time fragrances. The green, floral, and metallic notes all make for the perfect office or casual scent. So easy to wear and I have got several compliments from friends and co works from PE.

I know Egoiste Platinum is the older version but that’s about it. I was worried with it being old there would be wear and tear on the bottle and the top notes would be diminished. But the bottle looked like it was in mint condition and the smell is strong! There is a 3 digit code on the bottom so if anybody has any insight on the date range of this bottle that would be greatly appreciated. I can still smell it on the back of my hand after a couple of hours and the smell is deeper than my 2011 bottle on the left. I will need a few wearings to come to a definite conclusion but my first impression of this is GREAT!
    One question that I have is if ALL Egoiste Platinum bottles were New York/Paris bottles and not a combination of New York/Paris and Paris Only bottles. These regional bottles New York/Paris were responsible of producing rarities like Egoiste Cologne Concentree and Antaeus Sport that were not available for Paris Only bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post

It's nice to see a Platinum Egosite fan. I think the France and US plants use different batch code systems. The engraver or etching tool is / was in France. In the US, it was a pixel-y dot-matrix printer for a long time. The three digit codes are from the US (bottles with "New York"). I think the 50-ml Egoiste Platinum spray is a first edition from the 90s.

It’s an amazing scent that I think gets thrown under the bus a lot. I have bought a 2017 bottle in the past that had a great opening and clean crisp dry down, but ultimately ended up selling it. I was only getting 2-3 hours before it became a faint skin scent.

But my bottle on the right has a printed 3 digit code of SF1.

As I understand platinum egoiste all versions the edt is under Chanel only the sprayer is different on the older.
    Egoiste platinum has both ways above the Chanel on the older bottles and under on the newer before changing the name to platinum egoiste.
    Any one know approximately the time of switching the edt from top to bottom and the time of switching the name from egoiste platinum to platinum egoiste?
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    As I understand platinum egoiste all versions the edt is under Chanel only the sprayer is different on the older.
    Egoiste platinum has both ways above the Chanel on the older bottles and under on the newer before changing the name to platinum egoiste.
    Any one know approximately the time of switching the edt from top to bottom and the time of switching the name from egoiste platinum to platinum egoiste?
    I believe this happened around the same time as Egoiste which was approximately 1997. I would use that as reference.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed