Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which one is best as a "work -horse" scent. Italian Cypress or Oud Wood?

A versatile "work-horse" fragrance, for all seasons and occasions. Work, formal and leasure. Tom Ford Italian Cypress or Oud Wood?

Default Re: Which one is best as a "work -horse" scent. Italian Cypress or Oud Wood?

Italian Cypress seems a bit more conventional and less "seductive" than Oud Wood to me.

I've always perceived Italian Cypress to be like an updated, high end improved version of the original Polo.

Default Re: Which one is best as a "work -horse" scent. Italian Cypress or Oud Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Italian Cypress seems a bit more conventional and less "seductive" than Oud Wood to me.

I've always perceived Italian Cypress to be like an updated, high end improved version of the original Polo.
    I've read that it's discontinued, but it's still available at Tom Ford web site.

Both are nice, but personally enjoy wearing Oud Wood more.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Can it work as a work-fragrance, and in the summer?

^^^ 2-3 sprays under clothign works in summer & yes, I too preder Oud Wood over IC, which I think is way overrated & not worth a privee release or price.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

As Badarun mentioned, it will work. I wear fragrances regardless of setting or season. However, I've worn Oud Wood year around for going on two years now. I really love this one and is the gem of the TF line for me. My second fav of his is Tuscan Leather, but don't currently own it. The rest of TF I can do without.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I much prefer OW. I love it and own a 100mls bottle while I just like IC. But if it's discontinued you should put it as a priority if you love it.

I see NO occasion (casual, date, job, friends etc...) for perfumes as I wear what I want when I wanna wear it and just adapt the number of sprays based on the occasion. But if I did see them, I'd say IC is more suited for formal, office and OW for dates and similar stuff. But based on the notes involved, since they are extremely different, I believe IC is easier to accept for more people. So maybe it should be your choice because of that and the discontinued factor.

About weather I see them both as "3 season" ones and not at their best at all on warm summer days.

Personally the choice would be soooo easily OW, but based on your message if you really do love them equally, go for IC.

Otherwise forget the occasion thing and just get your favorite one. Since even if one seems more "versatile", if you prefer the other you'll regret your choice and just think about the other one.

My personal favorite: Oud Wood (By far!!)
    The best "work-horse" (if I put myself into the skin of someone fan of both and believing in "occasions"): Italian Cypress
    Last edited by Monkeys; 19th October 2015 at 05:36 AM.

Neither, but quality-wise Italian Cypress is a better fragrance.

Two different families of fragrance. You must have figured out by now which one you prefer. But maybe not. You like to wear things that are sweet, or not? Try sampling, because no one here can tell you this.

Both smell wonderful, but Oud Wood is significantly more versatile and gets my vote (I own a bottle myself). I wore it a few times this summer and its more subdued nature worked decently in the heat.

Italian Cypress was recently discontinued, though, so you may want to pick it up while you still can if you like the fragrance.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Oud Wood
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If you are into Italian Cypress, do yourself a favor and pick up Halston Man (the chrome bottle, non-amber) as it is incredibly close for a fraction of the price. Theres not much of a connection with Polo

Italian Cypress, all day. I share StylinLA's opinion of the scent. It is a bit conventional and derivative, but it's still very, very good.

To me, Oud Wood is a pleasant take on oud and nothing more. If you want an oud scent from Tom Ford, Plum Japonais is a lot more distinctive and interesting.

For a work horse. Italian Cypress.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Basenotes Institution

Italian Cypress

Italian Cypress
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Italian Cypress also.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 19th October 2015 at 02:03 AM.

Dependent

Italian Cypress, IMHO

Oud Wood all day.

Smells more natural over the course of wearing, like it is your smell.

Italian Cypress is just too sweet to be a workhorse.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Oud Wood all day.

Smells more natural over the course of wearing, like it is your smell.

Italian Cypress is just too sweet to be a workhorse.
    Italian Cypress is sweet? It smells like polo green.

For this type of use maybe IC

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

Quote Originally Posted by petukchele View Post
    Italian Cypress is sweet? It smells like polo green.
    I only know the original Polo green & Italian Cypress cannot be compared to it, no resemblance whatsoever...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Oud Wood and Italian Cypress are probably my two favorite private blend fragrances, and although I prefer the smell of Italian Cypress over Oud Wood, if I had to pick just one as a workhorse fragrance it would be Oud Wood. It's just a much more versatile fragrance IMO and a bit more subtle. Italian Cypress is bordering on being a powerhouse for me, and call me crazy, but I'm one of those people who picks their fragrances based on occasion, season, etc. just like the rest of my attire.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Personally, Oud Wood, but I LOVE woody scents. Works pretty well in the heat, so there should be no issues in the Norwegian summer.
    If you don't mind the price I'm sure it'd make a great work horse scent. I've often thought I'd keep Oud Wood if I whittled my collection back to just a handful of woody scents.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Same here.

Italian Cypress

Blog Entries

Hands down this honor would go to Oud Wood as it's more versatile than Italian Cypress imo. Answer: TF's Oud Wood.

Basenotes Plus

I'd vote neither as I'm indifferent to both. But if forced to choose between these 2, a light application of either one will do.

Basenotes Junkie fragrantseller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Neither, but quality-wise Italian Cypress is a better fragrance.

Two different families of fragrance. You must have figured out by now which one you prefer. But maybe not. You like to wear things that are sweet, or not? Try sampling, because no one here can tell you this.
    I agree. Two different families of fragrance which are hard to compare other than the fact they are both offered by TF Private Blend. And also depends on your personal opinion, for me. Oud Wood.

Wearing Italian Cypress today. It feels very formal and best suited to suit and tie or sportcoat and slacks. Probably not the best work scent if you're casual every day.