From ZARA?
    And if so which ones?
    I am looking to buy more
    But can't decide which ones...
    Some vectors from you will help :]
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Default Re: The Fragrance Confessions thread

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    This is what I’m having a problem with lately, I seem to get more enjoyment out of buying than wearing, so I am going on a no-buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I was on a no-buy for several months (February - July), since then I've broken free.
    I tried the no-buy and it worked for a few months. Then I broke free like freewheelingvagabond
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I haven’t bought any fragrance for over 1 year now. I don’t see that situation changing until international shipping gets back to normal.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    From ZARA?
    And if so which ones?
    I am looking to buy more
    But can't decide which ones...
    Some vectors from you will help :]
    None were Zara, sorry.

There are way too many scents on my wish list right now. But it’s my wife’s birthday this week, so it’s her turn. Booooo!!! ��

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    None were Zara, sorry.

There are way too many scents on my wish list right now. But it’s my wife’s birthday this week, so it’s her turn. Booooo!!! ��
    Won’t you confess us what are the bottles?
    I dont understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Carioca by Granado

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

I have never in my life sold a fragrance to anyone.
    I only buy fragrances from authorized dealers
    By choice, my fragrance collection is not eclectic as it pertains to place of origin
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My fragrance collection is not eclectic as it pertains to place of origin
    What are some countries that commonly produce fragrances that you don’t have any fragrances of (ie Italy, France, USA, Spain)?
    I dont understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

By choice, my fragrance collection is not eclectic as it pertains to place of origin
    Would you buy second hand or gray market if you desired a rare discontinued perfume - or is the lack of such a thing not a concern for you? Do you only buy French made fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Would you buy second hand or gray market if you desired a rare discontinued perfume - or is the lack of such a thing not a concern for you? Do you only buy French made fragrances?
    We are in the wrong thread! Our questions should be posted in the Question & Answer thread.

If it were a rare discontinued perfume, as long as it were brand new, never opened or used, it wouldn't matter where it came from. However there is only one such fragrance like that I seek and that's Herbe Marine by Creed. As to the second question, the answer is - No. (although three of the four in the parentheses in Beck's post above yours do not fit in the equation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Deep breath....

Early in my journey, I lacked patience.

My lack of patience manifested by purchasing "clones".

I can't bring myself to just throw them out....

I now find myself using them vigorously to rid the shameful view of them in the collection.

my (unsolicited) advice for the newer people to this journey.....

Don't do this. Just wait until the scent you want is either available and/or at a price point that matches your budget at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bis100 View Post
    Deep breath....

Early in my journey, I lacked patience.

My lack of patience manifested by purchasing "clones".

I can't bring myself to just throw them out....

I now find myself using them vigorously to rid the shameful view of them in the collection.

my (unsolicited) advice for the newer people to this journey.....

Don't do this. Just wait until the scent you want is either available and/or at a price point that matches your budget at that time.
    I confess to have a lot of cheapies, clones, and mall scents. I do love some of my mall scents. But a lot of my clones, I use them as room sprays and car sprays.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

If it were a rare discontinued perfume, as long as it were brand new, never opened or used, it wouldn't matter where it came from. However there is only one such fragrance like that I seek and that's Herbe Marine by Creed. As to the second question, the answer is - No. (although three of the four in the parentheses in Beck's post above yours do not fit in the equation.
    Do you suspect that you will ever find what you are looking for?

Thanks for the reply hednic!

Do you suspect that you will ever find what you are looking for?
    I'm optimistic. I waited for years to get a brand new Scent Of Oger and finally tracked one down through a dealer years ago in Luxembourg, so there's hope. The problem is that time is not in my favor, so it will most likely be up to my grandson to secure one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Thanks for the reply hednic!
    You're quite welcome.

I am moving closer and closer to becoming a 20-bottle-guy and further and further away from the avid collector I once was.

Many of my old favorites don't interest me anymore (Terre d'Hermes, A Taste of Heaven, Spice & Wood, Guerlain Homme L'Eau), and I now prefer a more familiar, intensive experience with fewer bottles than a cursory, brief familiarity with many.

This is also the first time in 10 years that I can see myself pushing this hobby/interest to the side as I devote my energy to other pursuits. I mean, I still love fragrances, but the activity is slowing down, and I'll be taking a much more leisurely, measured approach moving ahead.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

All about the masculines.

Ive been buying blind lately, although Im buying mostly the full on masculine types so Im not too worried. Could be boredom or the curiosity with the glowing reviews but Im really looking forward to what awaits my nose!

Next up:

Histoires De Parfums 1740
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I am moving closer and closer to becoming a 20-bottle-guy and further and further away from the avid collector I once was.

Many of my old favorites don't interest me anymore (Terre d'Hermes, A Taste of Heaven, Spice & Wood, Guerlain Homme L'Eau), and I now prefer a more familiar, intensive experience with fewer bottles than a cursory, brief familiarity with many.

This is also the first time in 10 years that I can see myself pushing this hobby/interest to the side as I devote my energy to other pursuits. I mean, I still love fragrances, but the activity is slowing down, and I'll be taking a much more leisurely, measured approach moving ahead.
    Nice. Congratulations. Sounds like a level I'd like to be at. I think I have around 30 bottles, but I could quite easily whittle that down. Just have to motivate myself to sell or (god forbid) throw away some of my bottles that I almost never wear or have started to annoy me.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’ve been buying blind lately, although I’m buying mostly the full on masculine types so I’m not too worried. Could be boredom or the curiosity with the glowing reviews but I’m really looking forward to what awaits my nose!

Next up:

Histoires De Parfums 1740
    This has been me lately as well. I feel like I’ve smelled enough that I can get a relatively ballpark opinion on most stuff via reviews (and certain reviewers) and for the most part what I’ve been going for has easy enough swap/sell potential, so I don’t feel I’m being too risky.

Still waiting for my bottle of War and Peace II to show up though, so we’ll see...

I haven't bought a new bottle of fragrance for 14 months.
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

I am WAY better at blind buying than at sampling:

I have bought 27 fragrances blindly. 23 I am loving and keeping in my collection.
    I have sampled 69 fragrances. 6 I am loving, 3 of them are in my collection, 3 are on my to buy list.
    Searching for:
    vintage Silver Mountain Water, Warner/Cosmair Polo Green, early lAir du Desert Marocain (rectangular or early blue bottle)
    Im not fond of your overly huge signature^^
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    I am WAY better at blind buying than at sampling:

I have bought 27 fragrances blindly. 23 I am loving and keeping in my collection.
    I have sampled 69 fragrances. 6 I am loving, 3 of them are in my collection, 3 are on my to buy list.
    Do you like ambers?

Do you like ambers?
    Tough question. I have a hard time with what could, a little simplified, be called generic, vanillic amber bases. I‘m already fed up with that sameness, although I only started being a fraghead on January 4th, 2020. I‘m also picky with sweetness. Despite that, I love Iceberg Man, which is a very sweet, benzoic amber. I also enjoy Fidelis a lot, which may not categorize as amber, but is extremely sweet and has a good dose of it. I‘m interested to know what you‘re after
    Searching for:
    vintage Silver Mountain Water, Warner/Cosmair Polo Green, early lAir du Desert Marocain (rectangular or early blue bottle)

Tough question. I have a hard time with what could, a little simplified, be called generic, vanillic amber bases. I‘m already fed up with that sameness, although I only started being a fraghead on January 4th, 2020. I‘m also picky with sweetness. Despite that, I love Iceberg Man, which is a very sweet, benzoic amber. I also enjoy Fidelis a lot, which may not categorize as amber, but is extremely sweet and has a good dose of it. I‘m interested to know what you‘re after
    Ambre Sultan is the reference amber for me, also Ambra Mediterranea (neither too sweet, similar to 1740 in terms of sweetness) .... however for you I was going to suggest L'Homme Sage as for some reason I thought you might enjoy it (it does have a sweetness, but mostly immortelle not vanilla).

Ambre Sultan is the reference amber for me, also Ambra Mediterranea (neither too sweet, similar to 1740 in terms of sweetness) .... however for you I was going to suggest L'Homme Sage as for some reason I thought you might enjoy it (it does have a sweetness, but mostly immortelle not vanilla).
    Thanks for these suggestions, which actually all sound pretty intriguing. Especially as we‘re heading towards autumn in the northern hemisphere... With the Lutens, reading so many complaints about the house lately, I think I might need to go vintage?
    The Mediterranea sounds really, really nice by the way.
    Do you know Ambre Cashmere Intense?

In general, I gravitate towards dark stuff, sometimes sweet, oftentimes rather dry.
    I also love great complexity. Your review of NYI finally made me pull the trigger on what is now my absolute favourite *lifts hat*

To stay on topic, another confession, that relates to the above:
    Although I love complex, rich perfumes, the very minimalistic and linear GGA is at least in my Top 5.
    Searching for:

Thanks for these suggestions, which actually all sound pretty intriguing. Especially as we‘re heading towards autumn in the northern hemisphere... With the Lutens, reading so many complaints about the house lately, I think I might need to go vintage?
    The Mediterranea sounds really, really nice by the way.
    Do you know Ambre Cashmere Intense?

In general, I gravitate towards dark stuff, sometimes sweet, oftentimes rather dry.
    I also love great complexity. Your review of NYI finally made me pull the trigger on what is now my absolute favourite *lifts hat*

To stay on topic, another confession, that relates to the above:
    Although I love complex, rich perfumes, the very minimalistic and linear GGA is at least in my Top 5.
    Yes, New York Intense is one of the best ever, glad to know you are enjoying it. I did try Ambre Cashmere Intense and can't remember much of it (I might have a sample somewhere, still). Since you are in Germany (Hamburg?), get a sample of Fumoir by Arte Profumi (it's a leather scent, sort of an edgier, deeper GGA). IMO no need to go vintage with Lutens, at least right at the beginning (I haven't tried the latest 100 ml Ambre Sultan but I've tried a few others at stores briefly and they didn't seem to be different). Lucky that you are in Germany - I shopped a lot from Essenza Nobile and AusLiebezumDuft when I lived in the US but they do not ship to Canada.

Yes, New York Intense is one of the best ever, glad to know you are enjoying it. I did try Ambre Cashmere Intense and can't remember much of it (I might have a sample somewhere, still). Since you are in Germany (Hamburg?), get a sample of Fumoir by Arte Profumi (it's a leather scent, sort of an edgier, deeper GGA). IMO no need to go vintage with Lutens, at least right at the beginning (I haven't tried the latest 100 ml Ambre Sultan but I've tried a few others at stores briefly and they didn't seem to be different). Lucky that you are in Germany - I shopped a lot from Essenza Nobile and AusLiebezumDuft when I lived in the US but they do not ship to Canada.
    It really is nice to live in Europe as a fraghead (you‘re right about the location), I love being able to sample so much nice stuff. Fumoir is on my list for the next sampling spree, but I try to be patient and wait a little before I buy again Thanks for the tips, a lot of Lutens on my list now!
    Searching for:

I should have stopped 'searching' for another, final fragrance a few weeks ago. I should have stopped buying new samples, scouring the internet for reviews and recommendations, and still trying to find some kind of 'basic, daily holy grail'. I'm almost certain it doesn't exist and that I'm not going to find it - and I'm now on a wild goose chase that could be hundreds of s spent on samples to still find nothing 'better' than I have already. In some ways I wonder if I'm not just trying to find something that doesn't exist, and instead I'm being too emotional and thinking I'll find something that is almost 'all things to all...me'. Something of my past, of my present, my future; something fruity, youthful, sporty, yet timeless and non-dated.

Every fragrance I have settled on I have to come 'by accident'. And yet I still keep telling myself I can find 'this one' fragrance by actively searching for it.

I think I'm deluding myself by this point and I just need to stop. Stop searching, stop buying, stop posting online, and just start wearing the 4/5 fragrances I have. If I still feel the need to add something else in 6 months time, once the weather starts warming up again, I can. But there's still that itch that tells me I can 'search' my way to this one fragrance in the next X days/weeks.

I know it's foolish and at the same time...I feel like I'm so close. Is this what panning during the gold rush felt like...?
    If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I should have stopped 'searching' for another, final fragrance a few weeks ago. I should have stopped buying new samples, scouring the internet for reviews and recommendations, and still trying to find some kind of 'basic, daily holy grail'. I'm almost certain it doesn't exist and that I'm not going to find it - and I'm now on a wild goose chase that could be hundreds of s spent on samples to still find nothing 'better' than I have already. In some ways I wonder if I'm not just trying to find something that doesn't exist, and instead I'm being too emotional and thinking I'll find something that is almost 'all things to all...me'. Something of my past, of my present, my future; something fruity, youthful, sporty, yet timeless and non-dated.

Every fragrance I have settled on I have to come 'by accident'. And yet I still keep telling myself I can find 'this one' fragrance by actively searching for it.

I think I'm deluding myself by this point and I just need to stop. Stop searching, stop buying, stop posting online, and just start wearing the 4/5 fragrances I have. If I still feel the need to add something else in 6 months time, once the weather starts warming up again, I can. But there's still that itch that tells me I can 'search' my way to this one fragrance in the next X days/weeks.

I know it's foolish and at the same time...I feel like I'm so close. Is this what panning during the gold rush felt like...?
    I might be in the same boat as you, but I still have confidence. I'm still looking to add one bottle to my current two-bottle wardrobe, but after sampling a lot, I'm still clueless as to what it may be.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I need to get a better hobby. Or better yet, I need to stop myself from letting this hobby become an obession.

Wasting time frequently going to the discounters looking for something good isn't doing me any favors.

Blind buying and accumulating relatively cheap classics isn't doing me any favors in the long run.

I love fragrances, but I've noticed that it's way too easy for hobbies and interests to become an addiction or obsession in a consumer-driven society. Looking back to my childhood, I loved to "collect" action figures and other things. Those toy commercials put it in your head at a very impressionable age: "Collect them ALL!" Why? Why should we collect them all? Why not just get the ones we really like?

If I end up acquiring a big collection of fragrances over a long period of time, that's one thing. But doing that in such a short period of time? Ehh, that becomes a problem.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 LastLast