Code of Conduct
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Then & Now: Bandit, de Robert Piguet (comparison 1970s-2015)

Just curious to see how a masterpiece can change through decades: that's "Bandit de Robert Piguet", from 1970s to 2015.
    Similarities and differences on 4 different samples..

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...rt-piguet.html

Raiders of the Lost Scent: Journey in the Realm of Lost Perfumes
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Then & Now: Bandit, de Robert Piguet (comparison 1970s-2015)

As always, thanks for doing this Andre.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I still think it's wonderful and easily worn by a man

^^^ LT's statement on Andre's blog seems to explain why the current is still good...Quite interesting!

Thanks Andre for the excellent work, as always!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Thanks, Andre.
    for swap/sale:

Wonderfully erudite invaluable contribution, stunningly illustrated and well-informed, prompting one to (re-) discover a great fragrance

Thanks for the post - Bandit is one of my favorite perfumes. Good to hear that the latest post ifra version is still good. Perhaps oakmoss wasn't really the key to this perfume, but the interplay between leather and greenery.

I have an old perfume, of uncertain age but I think quite old, unfortunately not well preserved. And I also had the chance to smell the original reconstructed at the Osmotheque. They are both grittier and darker. If the modern is patent leather, the old ones are matte, heavier things. In any case, I'm happy with what I have (which is just before the 2012 reformulation, I believe).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

I recently ordered a bottle of vintage Bandit extrait and it arrived tonight. I am wearing it for the first time tonight, and it is one of the best things I have EVER smelled. The ebay seller has 5 more - this is a great opportunity to try vintage Bandit at an amazing price ($34 including shipping). I wanted to pass this along to you guys here, even though part of me wants to buy up the whole lot for myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandit-de-by...QAAOSwHPlWdDuq
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    I recently ordered a bottle of vintage Bandit extrait and it arrived tonight. I am wearing it for the first time tonight, and it is one of the best things I have EVER smelled. The ebay seller has 5 more - this is a great opportunity to try vintage Bandit at an amazing price ($34 including shipping). I wanted to pass this along to you guys here, even though part of me wants to buy up the whole lot for myself.

Thanks for the tip, Erin! I'm excited to try it.

Dependent

Thanks for the link. The seller has one left, but seems to have a severe case of shipping yips. No shipping outside of US and Canada.

Really wanted one of these.

Sigh...................

Thanks for the link. The price seemed too good to be true, but then you tried it and it's for real ...

cacio

Basenotes Plus

I'm also jumping on the bandwagon and ordered a 1oz bottle. Thanks ErinK!

Thank you Andre for the comparison!
    Last edited by CapriDog; 31st January 2016 at 01:05 PM.

Thank you for doing this comparison!

Thank you, Andre. I love your informative in-depth articles!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I'm also jumping on the bandwagon and ordered a 1oz bottle. Thanks ErinK!
    I caved on one of these, too - this price is unreal.

Thank you so much for this information, Andre.

Using Andre's information, here is some more information on the bottles that the ebay seller has (assuming they are all the same age), based on the sticker on the bottom of my 7.5 ml bottle.

It has the "Fashion Fragrances & Cosmetics, Ltd" sticker, and only the New York address, placing it between 1998-2004, when the new owners produced the Givaudan-certified reformulation back to the original formulation. So not super-vintage (I was hoping for 70s or 80s, naturally) but in perfume speak, since this was produced was before a significant reformulation (in this case, 2012), I think it can legitimately be called vintage. Andre doesn't have specific batch code info for pre-2008 bottles, but FWIW the batch code on this is R270.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Banned

Wow! I'm a Basenotes newbie and still kind of a fledgling frag geek. Bandit has been on my maybe list, even after reading LT's review. I'm convinced now. Thanks for this, and the blog link. I'll be reading your stuff tonight

I love posts like this. And I've been in such a leather mood of late! I used to vilify any remake of a classic without taking into account that every one of us changes as a person, and the times and tastes move on. There is a great difference between cutting costs and tweaking recipes for the times. This weekend I sampled Noir Patchouli by HdP and the ghost of Derby's base notes I smelled in it made me unreasonably happy.
    "Kimi o utau yo chiisana koto ga
    Ookina hikari ni natte ku you ni
    Kakinarashite wa kakinarashite wa inotteru." -Spitz,'Boku no Guitar'

Blog Entries

Thanks ErinK. I had seen this on EBay but was unsure until I saw your post. I'm wearing mine now. It's really great! Strong and green/leather. Gorgeous galbanum.

Last edited by kumquat; 3rd February 2016 at 10:18 PM.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I caved on one of these, too - this price is unreal.

Thank you so much for this information, Andre.

Using Andre's information, here is some more information on the bottles that the ebay seller has (assuming they are all the same age), based on the sticker on the bottom of my 7.5 ml bottle.

It has the "Fashion Fragrances & Cosmetics, Ltd" sticker, and only the New York address, placing it between 1998-2004, when the new owners produced the Givaudan-certified reformulation back to the original formulation. So not super-vintage (I was hoping for 70s or 80s, naturally) but in perfume speak, since this was produced was before a significant reformulation (in this case, 2012), I think it can legitimately be called vintage. Andre doesn't have specific batch code info for pre-2008 bottles, but FWIW the batch code on this is R270.
    The batch code for my 7.5 ml is also R270. I get a slight reminiscence of Patou Pour Homme in the opening, but this is more unisex or even feminine, and powdery. It's great.

Dependent

I wish I lived in the US. Feeling rather......................

Green with envy. .jpg

I have an early 2,000 edp and it's definitely "several unlit streets ahead of any other leather chypre around". No way in hell you'll ever see that kind of thing again.

Dear Bandit-geeks out there,
    I'm running low on both of my bottles of EdP and Extrait, both early 2000s.
    I've tried a newer, say 2014 formula of it and this one was intact to the point where I'd consider a backup.
    Anyone of you knows what the most current stuff does?
    Thank you very much!

I just received a Bandit EDP spray from early 2000s. It has that ridiculous "Certificate of Authenticity" sticker from the president of Givaudan on the side.

This stuff smells absolutely *nothing* like Bandit. I've owned a lot of Bandit from the '40s through the '90s (Alfin), and they all smell like Bandit.

The EDP spray from early 2000s smells all kinds of wrong. I don't know if this bottle is a fake...or just a total misstep of dishonesty from Fashion Fragrances & Cosmetics Ltd, which is the distributor written on the back. It's a joke. Sweet, oriental, with an undercurrent of vomit. Smells absolutely nothing like any previous iteration of Bandit.

I feel sorry for people buying that version out of curiosity about the legendary Bandit, and they think this is what it smelled like. There is no resemblance at all to Bandit in this bottle.

Back to the seller it goes.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Tourmaline—

Yes, that does sound bad. Perhaps it was a rum batch or something happened to that bottle in storage.

I love wearing my vintage Bandit, parfum and EDT, but I can make do with the Fashion Fragrances EDP in the summer. I would agree that there is more sweetness to the floral notes in the reformulation vs. the vintage. I’ve never tried the Alfin version.

Good luck with the search for some more Bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Hi Tourmaline—

Yes, that does sound bad. Perhaps it was a rum batch or something happened to that bottle in storage.

I love wearing my vintage Bandit, parfum and EDT, but I can make do with the Fashion Fragrances EDP in the summer. I would agree that there is more sweetness to the floral notes in the reformulation vs. the vintage. I’ve never tried the Alfin version.

Good luck with the search for some more Bandit.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    What's in my bottle has no sharp, bitter greenery...no isobutyl quinoline leather....It's a completely different fragrance altogether from Bandit. I'm honestly so confused and quite disgusted by the fact that it carries that silly certification sticker on the cellophane when it smells so very wrong. I'm not sure if it's a fake, or if it was a batch mix-up at the plant. I've seen reviews for the EDP that seem to be describing the juice that's in my bottle, so I know it's not just my one wonky bottle, although I guess it could be that specific batch.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    What's in my bottle has no sharp, bitter greenery...no isobutyl quinoline leather....It's a completely different fragrance altogether from Bandit. I'm honestly so confused and quite disgusted by the fact that it carries that silly certification sticker on the cellophane when it smells so very wrong. I'm not sure if it's a fake, or if it was a batch mix-up at the plant.
    When you said your bottle contained an oriental perfume, I wondered (wildly) if you had received a mislabeled bottle of the current Baghari or Alameda.

And then there is the new “Bandit Suprême” but this flanker launched only this year, and you said your bottle was earlier. I don’t want to judge without testing, but replacing Bandit with a flanker seems like another bad omen of 2020. The published notes suggest that it might have an ambered base.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    When you said your bottle contained an oriental perfume, I wondered (wildly) if you had received a mislabeled bottle of the current Baghari or Alameda.

And then there is the new “Bandit Suprême” but this flanker launched only this year, and you said your bottle was earlier. I don’t want to judge without testing, but replacing Bandit with a flanker seems like another bad omen of 2020. The published notes suggest that it might have an ambered base.
    I have only tried Baghari in vintage version, and it was extremely aldehydic and did not smell like what's in my bottle.

I found this Basenotes thread about Bandit last night and the poster Gido describes exactly what is in my bottle. He writes:

"i've seen black bottles looking almost identical to ones of the recent formulas, they had a signed guarantee, bla bla, and the perfume smells not like bandit. where's the galbanum overdose? and what's this big, sweet ambery accord doing there instead? it isn't a bad perfume, but it surely isn't what they tell you either.
    so much for trusting these marking ploys. unless we're dealing with fake bandits here, but who on earth would go through all the trouble and produce fake bandit tester bottles that don't even smell like bandit to begin with? i don't think that's the case here.
    btw. the difference between the bottles? none, except that the label is a bit smaller in size, and the letters slightly fatter. there is another good and recent formula that has some letters not in capitals, if i remember correctly it reads BANDIT De ROBERT PIGUET instead of BANDIT DE ROBERT PIGUET."

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/29...t-EDT-Question

Later on in the thread, someone posts an email from the Robert Piguet company and they write that "many bogus bottles appear online frequently."

So, maybe this bottle with the sweet oriental juice is an actual fake. I think I'll write to the company and link to pics of my bottle from its Ebay listing, just to see what they have to say. ;-)

Hello, the bottle listed #2 was from mid 90s Alfin Made in USA.bandit-edt.jpg
    This is early 90s Made in France. Alfin. In my opinion this is closest form to the 1944 original EDT

^^^^ Absolutely, Boznjerz, I completely agree with you.
    The Alfin version (in the black box with BANDIT in all capital letters) is an excellent version and very true to the original.

I am SO tired of reading all the silly blog reviews online saying bad things about "the Alfin version." I don't know where this misinformation started. The Alfin version in your picture is exactly what real Bandit should smell like, it's great in both the parfum & EDT.
    Last edited by tourmaline; 21st March 2021 at 08:33 PM.

Adding...
    Bottle #1 dates from 1972 to early 1980s.
    Bottle # 2 dates to mid-1980s (Orinter version)
    Bottle #3 dates to the 2000s.

Bottle # 1 smells wonderful (and any version that came before), and the '90s Alfin "Made in France" version (black box w/ BANDIT in all capital letters like in Boznjerz picture) also smells incredible.

The others I can't recommend.