Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 56 of 56
  1. #31
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    15,156

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    I think the current version of Roger & Gallet L'Homme (not the sport or other flankers) is pretty good in current form. Never tried the vintage of that one... Would be interested in your thoughts on this.

  2. #32
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur is amazing.
    For the new, green version of Pour Monsieur, I find it ok; worthy of wearing even in rotation with the vintage.

    I was surprised by how similar the opening is, and they were creative with the base, which goes in a different direction, and makes it a unique option compared to vintage. The base of the current version has some sweet spice that comes out, which reminded me of Old Spice during one wearing.

    I also like current versions of Egoiste and Fahrenheit; but in each of these cases, the vintage versions edge out the reformulations for me, and I've only been going with the smaller bottles for the newer versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Platinum Egoiste is another where the reformulation "fixed" the original.
    I can understand this point of view. I like the opening on the newest version of Platinum Egoiste more than the original, although I think I like the base more in the original.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and Sycomore.

    Chanel don't really stuff things up.

  4. #34
    Dependent saminlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,902

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and Sycomore.

    Chanel don't really stuff things up.
    Cuir de Russie is a great scent, but to my nose the current juice is not the same fragrance as the vintage. I expect the same would apply for Sycomore though the scarcity of the 1930 original makes comparison difficult.

  5. #35
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    25,570

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Most of the Aramis/ Estee Lauder fragrances.
    July Rotation

    Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

    Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

  6. #36
    Dependent peter4ptv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    L. A. California
    Posts
    1,431

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    All men’s from Caron are still good reformulations, Azzaro PH is not bad at all, compare to the horrible reformulation of Paco Rabanne PH.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

  7. #37

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Bois du Portugal and Tiffany for Men have both held up fairly well. I prefer the vintage of each (sandalwood!) but still find the latest versions good. I also like the current Guerlain Vetiver.

    Particulary horrible, by contrast, is the current Bel Ami. I did a side by side when the new version came out and was shocked by the feebleness of the recreation.
    For swap/sale: Fougère Royale, AdP Colonia Club, Tauer Lonesome Rider, MDCI Cuir Garamante, vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Intense, Montale Cuir D'Arabie, Bentley Intense, Prada Amber PH Intense, Prada Amber PH metal travel spray, Loewe PH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, others.
    http://tinyurl.com/ju9yuu6 (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/hx7yws8
    (sales)

  8. #38

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Azzaro PH is still decent, and GIT's latest formula is very good, though lighter on the sandalwood base. All the Carons, and some of the old-school wetshavers like Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Amazing, I was going to write the same thing about Balafre (have the spray).
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO:

    Gengis Khan (fairly close)
    Balafre (fairly close)

  10. #40

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    THE GREAT (a.k.a. reformulation is "very wearable" compared to older):
    Agua Brava (all three versions with oakmoss that I have smell great)
    Esencia Loewe (deep vintage compared to 2nd vintage: both are good if a little different in smell)
    Happy for Men
    Jaguar for Men
    YSL Jazz ("Memphis style" bottle and La Collection)
    Lapidus pour Homme (85% vintage and 82% current)
    Roger & Gallet Open
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme (current smells clearly different to 2nd vintage but not in a bad way to me)
    Giorgio Red for Men

    THE NOT SO GOOD:
    Capucci pour Homme
    Soprani Uomo (disappointingly watered down in the 3rd reformulation that has no oakmoss or even treemoss anymore)

    UNDECIDED/CAN'T SAY:
    Eau de Rochas pour Homme (I suspect the top notes in my vintage have suffered)
    Fahrenheit (the violet note has largely burnt off in my vintage mini)
    Spray less, love more.

  11. #41
    Dependent peter4ptv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    L. A. California
    Posts
    1,431

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    THE GREAT (a.k.a. reformulation is "very wearable" compared to older):
    Agua Brava (all three versions with oakmoss that I have smell great)
    Esencia Loewe (deep vintage compared to 2nd vintage: both are good if a little different in smell)
    Happy for Men
    Jaguar for Men
    YSL Jazz ("Memphis style" bottle and La Collection)
    Lapidus pour Homme (85% vintage and 82% current)
    Roger & Gallet Open
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme (current smells clearly different to 2nd vintage but not in a bad way to me)
    Giorgio Red for Men

    THE NOT SO GOOD:
    Capucci pour Homme
    Soprani Uomo (disappointingly watered down in the 3rd reformulation that has no oakmoss or even treemoss anymore)

    UNDECIDED/CAN'T SAY:
    Eau de Rochas pour Homme (I suspect the top notes in my vintage have suffered)
    Fahrenheit (the violet note has largely burnt off in my vintage mini)
    you must be joking about this 2:
    ]Lapidus pour Homme[/b] (85% vintage and 82% current)
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme[/b] (current smells clearly different to 2nd vintage but not in a bad way to me)
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

  12. #42

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    you must be joking about this 2:
    ]Lapidus pour Homme[/b] (85% vintage and 82% current)
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme[/b] (current smells clearly different to 2nd vintage but not in a bad way to me)
    I own full bottles of all of those and have worn all several times in different settings. And although pointless and not representative of a normal wearing scenario, I've also done side-by-side comparisons sniffing up close (because I'm OCD like that).

    Anyone expecting the Paco reformulation to smell like the vintage will be disappointed of course. But it's a good sharp soapy scent.
    Spray less, love more.

  13. #43
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Most of the Aramis/ Estee Lauder fragrances.
    +1 Most of them are very good, though, I can't say I am the biggest fan of the actual fragrances sometimes.

    Azzaro PH - I actually like the modern version *more* than some of the vintage I have tried. I have had bad luck on vintage bottles with burnt off top notes, and the modern version besides being dirt cheap has more note definition that better fits with modern trends. It makes a great dumb reach.

    Few other fragrances I think have great modern versions:
    - Dior Eau Sauvage
    - Dior Homme Intense
    - Most Guerlains, especially Mitsouko. Some have been gutted though by IFRA and there isn't much fixing them... see Apres l'Ondee.
    - Most Jacques Bogart
    Last edited by Rinx7; 12th May 2021 at 06:31 PM.

  14. #44

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Thank you, Motorcade and Rinx7. Maybe we could add Jules (Christian Dior) to the list ? Current version is certainly not the vintage one, but I think it's very wearable.

  15. #45

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    ...
    Last edited by Tristan45; 15th May 2021 at 11:09 AM.

  16. #46

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    I agree with Antaeus, sure, it lacks the depth and richness of several vintages that I have, but it's still a fantastic scent. That is - the modern one with all black at the sprayer.'s base. I have 2 bottles from mid 2000/2010s where it has a silver base and a plaque of silver in the top of the cap (think it changed over around 2016 or so) and these have this weird, super powdery and floral aspect to them, but misses the rugged kick that Antaeus should have. Unfortunate
    The proper vintage ones have the "EDT" written above the Chanel text on the bottle

  17. #47
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    15,156

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by sproaty View Post
    I agree with Antaeus, sure, it lacks the depth and richness of several vintages that I have, but it's still a fantastic scent. That is - the modern one with all black at the sprayer.'s base. I have 2 bottles from mid 2000/2010s where it has a silver base and a plaque of silver in the top of the cap (think it changed over around 2016 or so) and these have this weird, super powdery and floral aspect to them, but misses the rugged kick that Antaeus should have. Unfortunate
    The proper vintage ones have the "EDT" written above the Chanel text on the bottle
    Would have to agree 100% with all of the above.

    Proper vintage Antaeus is nice, but with current versions as strong as they are (they are still noticeable as Antaeus), there seems little point to go vintage hunting in my opinion.

    My introduction to Antaeus was (unfortunately) the silver collar atomiser type (early 2010s) so I got off to a bad start with it. Even a 50ml of the current stuff should last the owner quite a while: this stuff lasts ages on skin & clothes even with a single spray.

  18. #48
    Darvant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London/Italy
    Posts
    1,442

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Aramis Havana is one.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

  19. #49

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    The disclaimer imo is altough recent versions still can be nice, but have little to sometimes nothing to do to the original scent...vintage jazz is so much stronger and deeper than 2nd or 3rd version, same for antaeus, imo vintage is miles away from what it is now...again recent can be nice but lack the thought of what is was..same for lagerfeld cologne, giorgio beverly hills among others. To each his own off course, but done well on vintage formulations are merely non excisting, but just my feelins and expierence. Good looking out.

  20. #50

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by relus View Post
    The disclaimer imo is altough recent versions still can be nice, but have little to sometimes nothing to do to the original scent...vintage jazz is so much stronger and deeper than 2nd or 3rd version, same for antaeus, imo vintage is miles away from what it is now...again recent can be nice but lack the thought of what is was..same for lagerfeld cologne, giorgio beverly hills among others. To each his own off course, but done well on vintage formulations are merely non excisting, but just my feelins and expierence. Good looking out.
    I would love to sniff vintage Antaeus and Lagerfeld Cologne (now Classic), because they must have smelled way better "back then". The current offerings aren't unenjoyable and I wear both but certainly they're not exceptional either.

    I think Jazz in the La Collection version is OK. The mossy base of course is gone, so it's a little watered down. But to expect heavy moss from a reformulation makes no sense anyway, because it's just not possible.
    Spray less, love more.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    For sure. Vintage lagerfeld cologne ( altough there are several versions) is one of my favourites, such an deep ambery warmth, just love it.

  22. #52
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,965
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Even though they aren’t the same, hermes belami, ysl kouros and chanel antaeus are still pretty good scents.

  23. #53
    The Scented Devil
    Varanis Ridari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,937
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    I think Acqua di Giò pour Homme is still nice. Not as strong, but the fidelity is there, minus some roundness.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Avalon by Murdock

  24. #54

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    The latest formulation of Givenchy Gentleman is quite good as well.
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

  25. #55

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    THE GREAT (a.k.a. reformulation is "very wearable" compared to older):
    Agua Brava (all three versions with oakmoss that I have smell great)
    Esencia Loewe (deep vintage compared to 2nd vintage: both are good if a little different in smell)
    Happy for Men
    Jaguar for Men
    YSL Jazz ("Memphis style" bottle and La Collection)
    Lapidus pour Homme (85% vintage and 82% current)
    Roger & Gallet Open
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme (current smells clearly different to 2nd vintage but not in a bad way to me)
    Giorgio Red for Men

    THE NOT SO GOOD:
    Capucci pour Homme
    Soprani Uomo (disappointingly watered down in the 3rd reformulation that has no oakmoss or even treemoss anymore)

    UNDECIDED/CAN'T SAY:
    Eau de Rochas pour Homme (I suspect the top notes in my vintage have suffered)
    Fahrenheit (the violet note has largely burnt off in my vintage mini)
    .
    some on your good list are so bad . like red for men its been destroyed over the years by ea frags . i dont think i can think of 1 single cologne that is as good as it was and i got hundreds of bottles

  26. #56

    Default Re: Reformulations done well on vintage gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by yourthemannowdog View Post
    .
    some on your good list are so bad . like red for men its been destroyed over the years by ea frags . i dont think i can think of 1 single cologne that is as good as it was and i got hundreds of bottles
    Our general experiences are basically the polar opposites then. To be clear, I didn't say the vintages of the ones on my list were not better than current. It's all a matter of proportion. A reformulation will by definition be different.
    Spray less, love more.




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. vintage Givenchy Gentleman and other thoughts on reformulations?
    By Strollyourlobster in forum Vintage Perfume
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 6th June 2017, 05:22 AM
  2. Blind tests of vintage/reformulations?
    By psyside in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th August 2015, 03:35 PM
  3. Vintage En Avion - Caron reformulations
    By Larimar in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 5th December 2011, 06:16 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24th December 2010, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000