Code of Conduct

Smile Tried Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire des Parfums. Tuxedo, Caban, Caftan, Trench. Mixed feelings

Today had the opportunity to get acquainted with the 5 new exclusive/niche fragrances of Le Vestiaire des Parfums line. The collection is contemporary, not really niche but still with a high quality components. The style of the collection is close to Armani Prive. The bottles are pure beauty, I like them better than Dior's or Chanel's.
    To speak about the fragrances there is one potential bestseller, one well done, two normal fragrances and one "thumbs down".

Tuxedo is maybe the most spectacular creation in the Le Vestiaire des Parfums. More masculine to my nose. It starts off with a noteworthy cacao note mixed with tonka and berries that give a "boozy" whiskey effect. In the dry down it becomes more rounded smelling like a 95% copy of Rochas Desir Pour Homme. If you haven't tried Desir the closer alternative will be Gucci Pour Homme II with cacao. The smell is beautiful and will surely be the star of the collection.

Caftan is a beautiful ambery incense fragrance. The style of Armani Encens Satin, though incense in YSL is even more muted. The problem is that on skin the scent is powdery smelling like an indian incense stick. As if you take the stick and rub the skin with it.

Caban is a clone of Tom Ford Black Orchid. I don't like Black Orchid so I pushed it from my skin immediately.

Saharienne is a soft neroli smell. Not as powerful as Mugler Cologne / Neroli Portofino. That's not the fragrance from 2009, with I liked better.

I don't like Trench, I do think it's not well done. Starts off with a typical irises, then the fruity soapy synthetic dry down comes on scene and kills everything.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Tried Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire des Parfums. Tuxedo, Caban, Caftan, Trench. Mixed feelings

Thanks for your observations on these. Wasn't aware these existed. They are all 4,2 oz. each available for purchase on the YSL USA website. Will probably place my order later tonight. Thanks again for the news!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Tried Yves Saint Laurent Le Vestiaire des Parfums. Tuxedo, Caban, Caftan, Trench. Mixed feelings

Excited to try these as soon as possible. Can't find much information on them at all.
    love and do what you will - ceo

Favorite Fragrances:
    1. Interlude Man
    2. Lonestar Memories
    3. Tuscan Leather
    4. L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Havana
    6. Arso
    7. Millesime Imperial
    8. Yatagan
    9. Reflection Man
    10. Neroli Portofino

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Today had the opportunity to get acquainted with the 5 new exclusive/niche fragrances of Le Vestiaire des Parfums line. The collection is contemporary, not really niche but still with a high quality components. The style of the collection is close to Armani Prive. The bottles are pure beauty, I like them better than Dior's or Chanel's.
    To speak about the fragrances there is one potential bestseller, one well done, two normal fragrances and one "thumbs down".

Tuxedo is maybe the most spectacular creation in the Le Vestiaire des Parfums. More masculine to my nose. It starts off with a noteworthy cacao note mixed with tonka and berries that give a "boozy" whiskey effect. In the dry down it becomes more rounded smelling like a 95% copy of Rochas Desir Pour Homme. If you haven't tried Desir the closer alternative will be Gucci Pour Homme II with cacao. The smell is beautiful and will surely be the star of the collection.

Caftan is a beautiful ambery incense fragrance. The style of Armani Encens Satin, though incense in YSL is even more muted. The problem is that on skin the scent is powdery smelling like an indian incense stick. As if you take the stick and rub the skin with it.

Caban is a clone of Tom Ford Black Orchid. I don't like Black Orchid so I pushed it from my skin immediately.

Saharienne is a soft neroli smell. Not as powerful as Mugler Cologne / Neroli Portofino. That's not the fragrance from 2009, with I liked better.

I don't like Trench, I do think it's not well done. Starts off with a typical irises, then the fruity soapy synthetic dry down comes on scene and kills everything.
    Thanks for the impressions, sound like Caftan might be the only one I find interesting although it sounds like nothing new much like the rest judging from your statements.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Tuxedo is my favorite of the bunch, but happen to like all, some more than others.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I tried all of these over the weekend and my impression pretty much mirrors that of Antonpan. Tuxedo is by far the most appealing with Caftan a close second. Although like Antonpan said it's very similar to Armani Prive's Encens Satin which I already own.

For the price these are being sold in Australia, I think i'll pass.
    Last edited by Lovescully; 28th June 2016 at 02:29 AM.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza di Zegna, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Nuances, Shalimar EDP, Kouros Tattoo, Tom Ford Soleil Blanc, Bond No.9 Jones Beach, Bond No.9 Dubai Amethyst, Chanel Jersey.
    Currently wearing: Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I don't like them too much.
    opportunistic ? they obviously were built as a commercial series.

They smell too synthetic for me, or like tissues (I know it was the goal) - but not interesting enough for the price IMO
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Statesiders - the original five releases from this collection are now available for purchase at Nieman Marcus.

I always asked myself why YSL didn't have a sort of Private Blend or La Collection Privée lines. Here it comes and it doesn't sound promising.

I actually liked Trench the most, I prefer a soft, clean fresh fragrance
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Layton / Incense Oud
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Dior Homme Intense / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. African Leather / Orange Mauresque
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / The Bewitching Yasmine
    14. Amber Absolute / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric / Clive X

Tried all of 'em at Harrod's recently. None quite piqued my interest but then again, I may have been suffering frag exhaustion at the time.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Spent about 45 minutes with these over the weekend. Wanted to like them (the SA was so attractive and helpful), but it was not to be.
    Their marketing and packaging is solid but the fragrances are synthetic smelling with weak performance.
    Doused myself in Tuxedo this morning and 4.5 hours later it's gone. Was almost gone after 90 minutes actually.
    Gotta be tough sitting in Neiman's surrounded by Guerlain, Roja Dove, Memo, Atelier, MFK, Boadicea the Victorious, Armani Prive, Agonist, Byredo....all of which have some great frags with legendary performance. If people do comparison shopping I predict an untimely end for this line.

Tried the range today and Tuxedo is by and far the most amazing of the range, the patchouli elements bought Feve Delicieuse to mind. Cuir came in a distant second with the rest all trailing the field way back. Tuxedo is a nice scent though, very well put together.

Only tried them on a card so no idea how they develop on skin nor how they perform yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Tried the range today and Tuxedo is by and far the most amazing of the range, the patchouli elements bought Feve Delicieuse to mind. Cuir came in a distant second with the rest all trailing the field way back. Tuxedo is a nice scent though, very well put together.

Only tried them on a card so no idea how they develop on skin nor how they perform yet.
    Did you happen try the three brand new ones in the series - Exquisite Embroidery, Magnificent Gold and Sleek Suede?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Did you happen try the three brand new ones in the series - Exquisite Embroidery, Magnificent Gold and Sleek Suede?
    No, they didn't have them at the moment as they had just got the standard range in. Have you?

No, they didn't have them at the moment as they had just got the standard range in. Have you?
    Nope. Still looking for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nope. Still looking for them.
    The rep did mention something about the "fabric editions" so I guess she must have been referring to them but they definitely weren't on display yet.

Caftan is my favourite.

The rep did mention something about the "fabric editions" so I guess she must have been referring to them but they definitely weren't on display yet.
    Another Basenoter told me he tried them at Harrods so I guess eventually they'll make their way across the Atlantic.