Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Musk / musk gazelle

Quote Originally Posted by blade_922 View Post
    This is from another thread.

This Pure Deer Musk oil was made using the ancient Arab enfleurage+maceration technique using Moringa Oil by one of the top reputable distillers in the world. It is absolutely stunning. Just Musk grains enfleuraged and macerated into Moringa Oil, heated at a certain temperature for days upon days. I have a picture just after it was created and bottled. I will dig it out. Moringa oil is one of the best absorbers of scent with musk.

Here is the deer musk used. I managed to get a full tola out of it. Bottled into separate bottles all stored away for ageing except 1 which I like to wear and smell every so often.

The person who created this for me used 4g of Deer musk.

1st picture - Unfiltered Deer Musk
    2nd Picture - Triple Filtered Deer Musk
    3rd Picture - Some debris left over after filtering

4th Picture end result bottled.

Attachment 48173

Attachment 48174

Attachment 48175

Attachment 48172

Alhamdulillah this is the best pure deer musk oil I have ever smelt. Nothing but deer musk grains and oil created to perfection by a good friend.
    Awesome stuff! Can i kindly check what is the grain to oil ratio for the maceration?

In addition, if i were to macerate in sandalwood oil, what would be a good ratio so as to achieve a fine balance between the oil and musk smell?

Thanks!

Basenotes Junkie

AMMAR musk found in Arab land even before Islam and many famous Arabic poetry about musk
    لئن أكُ أسوداً فالمسكُ لوني ومَا لِسوادِ جِلدي منْ دواء وَلَكِنْ تَبْعُدُ الفَحْشاءُ عَني كَبُعْدِ الأَرْضِ عَنْ جوِّ السَّماء

Famous warrior antar bin shadad

Musk is some strange stuff, when I first became interested in fragrances I was anosmic to some musks but have somehow learned to smell most of them by now and some fragrances are far more musky than I thought they were, lol!

The synthetics seem like they are all over the place, there's a metallic smelling musk, a musk that smells like halitosis, a dirtier, more animalic musk, the clean white musks, nitro musks, etc. Some of these can be incredibly potent too!

The few naturals I have smell very similar though, from AA's ghaliyahs to Aluwwah's and Sultan Pasha's blends, to RP's musk attar, the musk is all very similar and easily recognizable. All are amazing imo, but RP's musk attar / sandalwood maceration is ridiculously good.

The triple filtering i'm pretty sure refers to sieving the grains thrice. This will have removed hair, skin etc leaving only the fragrant grains. We also employed a similar technique and have a maceration of 1/4 gram musk to 3ml Sandalwood oil. Currently its "stewing" away but hope to release soon. From my exposure to musk i have come to realise that the scent of a Kashmir musk deer (Moschus cupreus) is definitely a more smoother, sweeter olfactory experience compared to the Nepalese (Himalayan) musk deer (Moschus leucogaster) which provides a more punchy animalic note. Both can be used along with the Siberian variety to provide some extremely potent and bewitching Itr/ Attar oils. Simon has some very nice concoctions, not had the pleasure of trying RP's yet though.
    There is also a whole heap of dodginess in the musk world, ive heard of people removing grains and replacing with bits of chicken liver and other ofally parts. the smell of the remainder of the gland can deceive a newcomer. If these pieces were used then the oils can turn out truly rancid but still with a musky aura.

As Mandeel mentioned earlier most if not all Muslims revere musk and musk oils as the very pinnacle of perfumery. There are many sayings of the Prophet(pbuh) which exalt musk and its uses, There are examples of He (saw) having applied musk oils to such a degree that his beard would glisten. Also another very famous incident: “A women from among the Children of Israel took a ring of gold and filled it with musk.’ The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: ‘That is the best kind of Taib (attar, perfume oil, oil fragrances, musk oils)’”

Basenotes Junkie

Musk words were foreign Arabized Persian origin [3] Arab and reserve her is the word Mashmoom, but the use of the word musk overwhelmed the paper Frabha, been abandoned Arab equivalent of his weight and pan meaning. The spread in the use of language and were in the Quran: «keeping its conclusion» Al Mutaffifin, Aya (26). In the Hadith: «the smell from the mouth of the fasting person is better with Allah than the fragrance of musk». [4]

Yes I was wrong about region but the words original Persian

Apparently "gazelle" is just a mistranslation of a term meaning deer-like creature. Someone here enlightened us about this.

What about "misk" - I see some vendors who have some products labeled "musk" and others "misk". What's that about?

@Mr.P From what I know, Misk is a translation of the word Musk in Arabic, and those people who associate the Musk towards the Middle Eastern culture, usually tend to label it as Misk rather than Musk.

Is this an actual absolute? As in 2-stage solvent extraction? Never heard of anyone actually running in to one of those. Must be very very intense!
    Last edited by Mr.P; 10th April 2016 at 04:13 AM.

Uh oh... 'Vietnam' and 'floral' and '2009' just set off some alarm bells in my mind.
    Did you get it from a certain Dr. 'D.X.B.' in Vietnam? In late 2009 I smelled his 'deer musk extract'.

I was amazed by how accurate the musk base smelled (no other musk have I smelled in oil form that smelled so similar to deer musk), but found the top notes very suspicious (floral). I had the oil tested, and lo and behold it wasn't a deer musk extract.

I hate to be a cynic, but based on my experience (so take this with a grain of salt I guess) musk absolute (I mean actual absolute in the technical sense of the word) is so rare as to be non-existent. You know who might know - this guy who used to post here who wen my by the name of "Luigi" I think. He seemed to have a handle on the reality of musk products.

I also think liquid ambergris absolute would be unlikely to be real. Not wanting to burst anyone's bubble, but that's what I think. I believe any kind of straight forward extract of ambergris is going to yield a solid. I say this based on some research and some experimentation with ambergris extraction on my own. These experiments are very minimal - just extracting a couple of different ambergris samples in alcohol, but when the alcohol evaporated from my extracts, what was left was a solid material, kind of a pale golden amberish color.

Anyway, I hope the stuff is real for your sake...
    Last edited by Mr.P; 10th April 2016 at 04:55 AM.

Have you guys seen this thread? This is like a traditional musk attar - how nice would that be, if real!?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/422...-from-Pakistan

I have 2 musk oils.1 from ASAQ called royal musk gazelle and 1 from Ham Firl called Chinese deer musk.The 1 from Ham Firl is very animalic and somewhat gives me a boozy feel and the 1 from ASAQ is top to bottom incense very very potent incense.I literally put a dot and I mean a dot on my neck and 1 on my forearm and I am smelling like a burning incense till I bath multiple times

Mr P, looks interesting. You can get very nice real musk from pakistan especially the northern areas. Faheem bought some back and i think a few bn members bought some. We've got some macerating away in sandalwood. If you want grains then maybe we could look at doing a split...

I have a sample of the ASAQ musk gazelle - just a few drops. Don't think it contains much actual musk (maybe it contains a little?) but it is an addictive scent. Another one of those "I can't stop sniffing it" scents... I am tempted to get a bit more of this stuff just as a perfume. Many musk perfumes are just offensive to me, but this one is very pleasant.

Anyone else have thoughts about this oil?

Basenotes Junkie

I try in view months some high quality musk from asaq but I don't remember about blending with that musk for me it look pure but I didn't like it , my personal taifi rose with raw kashmiri musk smell so far better and unique and it just aged less than year and is smell like Roja Dove Amazing perfumes ...

Abdul Samad al Qurashi – White Musk Gazelle???

I’ve tried and own most of ASAQ’s dark musks, and love white musk here as well like this; AO White Musk Superior (Maliki AA)
    But I see ASAQ has also a White Musk Gazelle,how does this White Musk Gazelle smell? Is it a more animalic & white musk vibe? Like mixing Arabian Oud’s White Musk Superior with ASAQ’s Black Deer Musk or Himalayan Deer musk? Very interested in trying ASAQ White Musk Gazelle. Any info on it?
    “ Want for your brother, in what you would want for yourself ”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2