Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Montale Honey Aoud

Basenoters!

Why no talk of this gem from Montale?

It's undoubtedly the best "honey" fragrance I've ever smelled, but it's also one of the best gourmands I've smelled. I put a couple spritzes on a test strip yesterday and my first though was, "Why aren't people talking about this? It's amazing!" I searched the forum. One member made a post about it in February which received....3 replies. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle due to there being so many releases by Montale each year? But my god, this stuff is good. It's like the well-mannered, politely reserved Gucci Pour Homme 2 went to a party, accidentally drank waaaaay too much, had the time of his LIFE, and woke up in a pile of strippers and empty tequila bottles. It's Gucci Pour Homme 2 come out to party. Sort of. There's no tea (and definitely no tequila) But it's a gorgeous scent, rich golden honey dusted with a tasteful dose of cinnamon over Montale's trademark Aoud. However, the aoud is dialed back here as opposed to be way out in the front. Personally, I don't care for Montale's version of Aoud most of the time, but it totally works here--noticeable, but supporting rather than starring.

Avoid this if you don't like anything sweet. If you don't like the cinnamon/amber/honey combination, such as that in Ambre Narguile, Avoid this if you're only into traditional styles of masculine scents. Otherwise, go get your nose on this!

So, does anybody else here own Honey Aoud? What has been your experience with it?

If you have any questions about it...shoot.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Default Re: Montale Honey Aoud

I've mentioned it a few times over the last year. I like it quite a bit - not sure why it doesn't get mentioned a little more. A little of this stuff sure goes a long way too.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Owned it from the get go and love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It's been on my sample list for quite a few months.
    Has anyone compared it to Honey Oud by Floris?
    I see someone thought Montale's
    was more cinnamony & Floris's was more rosey.

Hey Buysblind - totally agree that this is a superb release. (I tend to do reviews rather than chat about fumes on the forums; there do seem to be a couple of threads about this one but not sure how full.)
    RS2AM - there's not much similarity between the Floris and this one - the Floris honey note is more like thin clear honey, while the Montale one is much more full on gourmand with cherry and orchid accents (to my nose, I hasten to add). Cinnamon is a defining element in the Montale; missing in the Floris. The Floris is more toned down, playing the 'discreet distinction' card while the Montale comes right out and hugs you.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Basenotes Plus

I've talked a little about it. It's one of, if not my favorite Montale so far, but it's a bit premature to tell.

Buysblind, I messaged you recently, not sure if you've noticed it..
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    Hey Buysblind - totally agree that this is a superb release. (I tend to do reviews rather than chat about fumes on the forums; there do seem to be a couple of threads about this one but not sure how full.)
    RS2AM - there's not much similarity between the Floris and this one - the Floris honey note is more like thin clear honey, while the Montale one is much more full on gourmand with cherry and orchid accents (to my nose, I hasten to add). Cinnamon is a defining element in the Montale; missing in the Floris. The Floris is more toned down, playing the 'discreet distinction' card while the Montale comes right out and hugs you.
    Yes, I noticed. You have an excellent review for it (and excellent reviews in general ).

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I've talked a little about it. It's one of, if not my favorite Montale so far, but it's a bit premature to tell.

Buysblind, I messaged you recently, not sure if you've noticed it..

I didn't get your message or I would have definitely gotten back to you. I had a full inbox a few days ago and I didn't realize it. Send me PM, it's clear now.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I didn't get your message or I would have definitely gotten back to you. I had a full inbox a few days ago and I didn't realize it. Send me PM, it's clear now.
    Sent!
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I love Honey Aoud too!
    Last edited by etoile; 7th June 2016 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I've mentioned it a few times over the last year. I like it quite a bit - not sure why it doesn't get mentioned a little more. A little of this stuff sure goes a long way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Owned it from the get go and love it.

You guys are always up on the Montale releases. A couple days before Honey Aoud came in I also got Intense Cafe. I was very pleasantly surprised by this. My concern was that there would be no coffee note to speak of, but I get a pretty hefty dose of it actually. It's like a dark coffee and chocolate accord with some very jammy, fruity roses. Good stuff.

Any others either of you would recommend, not including the super-Aoudy stuff like Black Aoud, etc?

Any others either of you would recommend, not including the super-Aoudy stuff like Black Aoud, etc?
    My favorites are:
    Aoud Legacy (Montale goes sporty)
    Aoud & Pine (didn't get the hype at first, but growing on me - may be FBW).
    Full Incense
    Aoud Melody (a little soapy initially, but like it a lot)
    Red Vetiver (Nice TdH alternative)
    Nepal Aoud
    Orange Aoud

The last 2 start to get a little Oud-centric, but nothing like the general Montale style of oud IMO like Black Aoud.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

I've been on a honey hunt as of late, and got a bottle of Honey Aoud recently. I do like it. My favorite honey scent is Miel de Bois (in both vintage and recent formulations), but Honey Aoud is one of the nicer ones I've tried.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Tropical Wood
    Golden Sand
    Starry Night
    Intense Pepper
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm usually not a fan of honey in fragrances but this was an exception, I enjoyed this one and have a bottle on the way. It definitely gets better after the first 10-15 minutes, for me though it's a cold weather fragrance only so I'll only be able to wear it a few months of the year
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Layton / Incense Oud
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Dior Homme Intense / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. African Leather / Orange Mauresque
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / The Bewitching Yasmine
    14. Amber Absolute / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric / Clive X

Basenotes Plus

I recommend checking out Aoud Velvet. This one doesn't get much mention, but I enjoy it.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Its been talked about a few times that I recall. I think the problem is montale has like what... 200 something fragrances??? They just spam the shit out of the market it feels like, and hell theres even some that are limited releases(like some vanilla one or something recently I wanted to try but no place ever has it that ive seen). So most likely gets lost in the shuffle.

I still have a sample somewhere I should probably try it again. I recall it leaving a really nice scent trail, but up close its a little harsher and not quite as generally pleasing to everyone. But ya in terms of honey smell its nice for sure.

I been sampling this for a while from manufacture cards and is a beauty, I actually layered with Xerjoff Renaissance and it work pretty good on me.

I like Honey Aoud too though it has not the power of the older Montale releases.

For Honey I prefer Serge Lutens Miel de Bois and Xerjoff Mamluk. I really adore Mamluk.

For me this Montale has terrible overpowering sweet cloying smell that makes me nauseated.
    From all perfumes that I have tried with honey smell I like the best Lapidus Pour Homme.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Intense Pepper
    hednic
    Im really enjoying this one in hot weather!
    The bottle had taken some great hits this days!!!

OK so my bottle arrived, it's my first Montale, is it normal that the bottle (100ml) feels like there's only about 50ml inside?

It's obviously a very light bottle, but I also feel like the liquid is swishing around with a lot more space to move than a usual 100ml bottle

Hoping someone who has more experience with this brand can give some feedback on this

**It's purchased from a very reputable seller, and came sealed

Thanks
    My top 30

4. Layton / Incense Oud
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    15. Citric / Clive X

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    OK so my bottle arrived, it's my first Montale, is it normal that the bottle (100ml) feels like there's only about 50ml inside?

It's obviously a very light bottle, but I also feel like the liquid is swishing around with a lot more space to move than a usual 100ml bottle

Hoping someone who has more experience with this brand can give some feedback on this

**It's purchased from a very reputable seller, and came sealed

Thanks

Yeah, that's weird! I noticed that too as I got my first Montale about a month ago. I think it's normal. They are so light!

hednic should be able to verify this for you.

Is this comparable at all to Parfums de Marly's Herod?
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    Nope, they're very different.
    My top 30

4. Layton / Incense Oud
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    15. Citric / Clive X

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    No similarity for me either.

No similarity for me either.
    Hednic I believe you own pretty much all the Montales, could you kindly share your thoughts/experiences in regards to the lightness of the bottles, and whether it's normal that they arrive and feel like they don't contain the full 100 ml? Mine is not only light but turning the bottle around feels like there's plenty of empty space for the liquid to move around, is that normal with this house?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    My top 30

4. Layton / Incense Oud
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    15. Citric / Clive X

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post
    Hednic I believe you own pretty much all the Montales, could you kindly share your thoughts/experiences in regards to the lightness of the bottles, and whether it's normal that they arrive and feel like they don't contain the full 100 ml? Mine is not only light but turning the bottle around feels like there's plenty of empty space for the liquid to move around, is that normal with this house?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    To be very honest, most of the bottles I have are light in weight like you mention, but for some reason that I can't explain, others are noticeably weightier. My guess is that it has something to do with the production, quality, and quantity of aluminum used to craft the bottles. There doesn't seem to be any consistency. Nevertheless, I'd say about 85% of all the bottles I own are quite light to the feel and have minimal heft..

To be very honest, most of the bottles I have are light in weight like you mention, but for some reason that I can't explain, others are noticeably weightier. My guess is that it has something to do with the production, quality, and quantity of aluminum used to craft the bottles. There doesn't seem to be any consistency. Nevertheless, I'd say about 85% of all the bottles I own are quite light to the feel and have minimal heft..
    Thanks for your feedback, I might try and keep track of how much I use because this really doesn't feel like 100ml
    My top 30

4. Layton / Incense Oud
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    15. Citric / Clive X

Honey Aoud is very pleasing to the nose of anyone that catches a wiff. Not sure why Montale doesn't push this juice more!
    Kharisma92

Quote Originally Posted by kharisma92 View Post
    Honey Aoud is very pleasing to the nose of anyone that catches a wiff. Not sure why Montale doesn't push this juice more!
    Another lover of this I see.