Code of Conduct

Default Distillation of Orange Peels

Hi Guys,

We distilled orange peels for our first perfume! We are making perfumes that use upcycled materials, so we used orange peels that would have otherwise been thrown away.

But the quality of the oil is a bit disappointing, we know orange peels are normally cold pressed for the best quality, but we didn't have that option.

Does anybody have some experience with the warm distillation of orange?
    Will it get better over time (if so, how much time), does it have to age or does the bottle need to be open to let the off notes evaporate?

Any info would be great!

ps. If you are interested in our project called RUIK, you can check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/ruik_plantbased_perfumes/

Default Re: Distillation of Orange Peels

As far as I am aware Orange oil is always cold pressed, and there must be a reason for that. Maybe you have found what that reason is. My only advice is to be patient. Very often freshly distilled oils smell bad. You need to leave them to improve. However, in this case I don't think you will get anything nearly as good as cold pressed oil. Compare Lime oil expressed with Lime oil distilled.

Ingredients Supplier

Hi Boye,
    May I ask where the orange peels came from, as in, what was done to the oranges to have all of these peels as a byproduct? We they already rasped or are they pretty much intact? Were they large (had a lot of surface area) or were they small pieces of peel? Did they have much of the pith (white part) on them?
    Regards,
    Christine
    Christine Daley
    Perfumer Supply House - Fragrance Ingredient Boutique
    Find me on Facebook

Text or What's App +1-203-917-0867

JOIN MY MAILING LIST AND DON'T MISS ANOTHER SALE!

Christine was kind enough to post this diagram in an earlier thread that I started:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/399...=1#post3384801

I can tell you that I built a still and distilled some "tangelo" peel oil myself a couple years ago. It was an interesting project, but I will not do it again. The energy input (both my own labor and the fuel needed to generate several hours worth of hot steam) was not worth it. The results were also disappointing. I have learned, in my online research, that distilling essential oils is a very complicated engineering challenge. Time, temperature, pressure are all factors to be considered in making a quality oil. There may also be other variables involved that I don't know about. The oil I produced smelled mostly of a d-limonene based household cleaner with a bit of an unpleasant "off" note. The off note dissipated after a few weeks, but the oil was no match for a cold-pressed oil. I would suggest you borrow or purchase an oil press.

Furthermore, I do not understand the purpose of "upcycling" orange peels. If you are just doing it for marketing purposes, then that's understandable, but from a practical standpoint, isn't the purpose of upcycling to reduce waste and create a more sustainable process? Orange peels are bio-degradeable and compostable. If landfilled, they will sequester carbon. Subjecting them to small-scale steam (or hydro-) distillation simply adds more (presumably unrenewable) energy to the process. If you are concerned about sustainability and waste, I would cold press and then compost the waste. That way you would get two useable products out of what once were waste orange peels!

EDIT:
    I have now viewed the video on your instagram feed, and I see that you are using professional distillation equipment. All I can suggest is that distilled citrus oil is always (in my experience) quite different in aroma from cold-pressed oil, and the fresh oil does have an unpleasant top note. I do not know what is done professionally to rid the oil of the unpleasant note, but it does reduce somewhat in sealed storage. I don't know if open storage is a good idea because of the oxidation problems associated with citrus oils.
    Last edited by 2manyhobies; 16th June 2016 at 08:29 PM.

I use the zest to make a pleasant enough hydrosol. Fresh orange juice is a bonus. I use a fast juicer and an OilExTech microwave 'distiller'. The zest needs to be spun off first by the juicer otherwise the juice is too tart. 20 juicing oranges produce enough dry zest to be distilled making 150ml hydrosol. I quite like this 'distiller' but it's no good for making oils in my opinion.

Basenotes Plus

I was thinking that the distilled Orange peel was going to be quite less phototoxic... And I thought that I had heard of that as a product. Maybe I was wrong.

I do have some distilled Orange JUICE, that is wonderful...

But back to the distilled peels, - you may indeed need to redistill what you have to remove the offensive portions. try asking more in the groups of distillers, maybe they can answer better...?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    As far as I am aware Orange oil is always cold pressed, and there must be a reason for that. Maybe you have found what that reason is. My only advice is to be patient. Very often freshly distilled oils smell bad. You need to leave them to improve. However, in this case I don't think you will get anything nearly as good as cold pressed oil. Compare Lime oil expressed with Lime oil distilled.
    Let's hope it smells better over time!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumerSupplyHouse View Post
    Hi Boye,
    May I ask where the orange peels came from, as in, what was done to the oranges to have all of these peels as a byproduct? We they already rasped or are they pretty much intact? Were they large (had a lot of surface area) or were they small pieces of peel? Did they have much of the pith (white part) on them?
    Regards,
    Christine
    Hi Christine,

We got the orangepeels from a orange juice pressing company, the orange peels were quite damaged and some in small pieces.
    Most of the white part was also in there!

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I was thinking that the distilled Orange peel was going to be quite less phototoxic... And I thought that I had heard of that as a product. Maybe I was wrong.

But back to the distilled peels, - you may indeed need to redistill what you have to remove the offensive portions. try asking more in the groups of distillers, maybe they can answer better...?

PK
    Do you mean the Orange Juice Carbonyls? I have some and it indeed smells amazing!
    I will see if I can find some distillers.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post

PK
    I don't think any Orange oil is photo toxic. It is one of the few citrus oils not to contain Bergaptens.

Quote Originally Posted by Boye1 View Post
    Hi Christine,

We got the orangepeels from a orange juice pressing company, the orange peels were quite damaged and some in small pieces.
    Most of the white part was also in there!
    Is it possible the peels had already had the essential oil extracted by cold pressing?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Boye1 View Post
    Do you mean the Orange Juice Carbonyls? I have some and it indeed smells amazing!
    I will see if I can find some distillers.
    I'm so sorry, I don't know if that is so. I received it from an all natural perfumer, that shies away from chemical qualities and knowledge, so they did not label it as anything except distilled orange juice.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Ingredients Supplier

I can offer Orange Juice Carbonyls from Miritz and possibly Treatt. I have them available for sampling on my website too!
    Christine Daley
    Perfumer Supply House - Fragrance Ingredient Boutique
    Find me on Facebook

Text or What's App +1-203-917-0867

JOIN MY MAILING LIST AND DON'T MISS ANOTHER SALE!

Whilst not photo toxic Orange Juice Carbonyls often contain Acetaldehyde, which is not a nice chemical to have close by.