Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: The Self-Destruction Of My Collection - Montale Bottle Question...

Quote Originally Posted by ohdeberlin View Post
    if possible it would be nice to find out if the aluminium bottle itself is leaking or was this was just that shiny coating desolving somehow. Or a random defect that may occur like every 50 Years ....(because im thingking about odering a montal scent; but since i will not be able empty that bottle in one or two years time) :-)
    Well I did detect some moist when I touched the contaminated parts and when I smelled my finger it as definetely the fragrance itself that was leaking through. But I have Montale bottles that are about 5 years old. All stored in the same place and they have no problems whatsoever.... so I wouldn't worry that much.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Well I did detect some moist when I touched the contaminated parts and when I smelled my finger it as definetely the fragrance itself that was leaking through. But I have Montale bottles that are about 5 years old. All stored in the same place and they have no problems whatsoever.... so I wouldn't worry that much.
    Sounds like a material defect to me, or maybe the bottle was damaged in a way that you could not tell? I would guess that the plastic coating meant to protect the aluminum and perfume from interacting with each other was breached. How, I don't know. Air bubble in the coating during production?

TLS, did Montale ever make this right for you??

I have been thinking lately about bottles that are made from something other than glass, e.g. plastic bottles. Would anyone worry about fragrance stored for long periods in plastic bottles? Is it not likely that the chemicals in the plastic would leach into the fragrance or something??

I only have glass bottles in my collection thus far, but I have often wondered about this issue....
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    Would anyone worry about fragrance stored for long periods in plastic bottles? Is it not likely that the chemicals in the plastic would leach into the fragrance or something??
    I think that's likely to happen...

TLS, did Montale ever make this right for you??

I have been thinking lately about bottles that are made from something other than glass, e.g. plastic bottles. Would anyone worry about fragrance stored for long periods in plastic bottles? Is it not likely that the chemicals in the plastic would leach into the fragrance or something??

I only have glass bottles in my collection thus far, but I have often wondered about this issue....
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    I think that's likely to happen...
    Agree. Leaching is a known issue with plastics. Glass is best.
    Currently wearing: Eau Illuminée by Delrae

It makes sense. Stay away from plastic bottles everyone.

Still wondering if Montale took care of it, TLS.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

It makes sense. Stay away from plastic bottles everyone.

Still wondering if Montale took care of it, TLS.
    After all the hassle they did send me a new bottle. I've sent them an e-mail after that to express my grattitude for doing that though I wasn't really happy with the proces before receiving the new bottle. They never replied to that mail. I got no apologies or understanding words, nothing of that kind. I guess they find me an annoying customer though I've spent about 1500€ on Montale fragrances in the proces of this hobby. I still enjoy their fragrances but it will not come as a surprise that I haven't bought anything from them since this issue.

Thank's for asking, fellow BN'ers!
    Last edited by TLS; 2nd December 2016 at 04:44 PM.

Hooray and huzzah! I am glad you finally received a replacement!

Gregory David Roberts

Angry Re: The Self-Destruction Of My Collection - Montale Bottle Question...

Oh my god....

Just today I was noticing that some of my Montale bottles are developing spots on them. Looking closely at them now a couple look like brown rust spots just like yours - all of the affected bottles are SILVER like yours. I touched the one on the Chocolate Greedy bottle and out came perfume. Agggh!

If you find these spots DO NOT TOUCH THEM!

The coloured bottles - black, gold etc don't seem to be affected.

I am absolutely upset. They better do something about this.
    I ♥ vanille

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    Oh my god....

Just today I was noticing that some of my Montale bottles are developing spots on them. Looking closely at them now a couple look like brown rust spots just like yours - all of the affected bottles are SILVER like yours. I touched the one on the Chocolate Greedy bottle and out came perfume. Agggh!

If you find these spots DO NOT TOUCH THEM!

I am absolutely upset. They better do something about this.
    You should send Montale an e-mail with pictures because they stated it was because I didn't store the bottle properly and then after that it was because it was too old...!? Have to say that my coloured bottles don't have that problem but also my other 3 silver bottles don't have any problems at this time. Two of them are even older then the bottle with the spots. When and where did you buy the bottles that have problems? Could you post some pics in this thread? Thank's for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    because of the outer, coloured layer? i think that doesn't necessary mean, that everything is fine INSIDE the bottle...
    i'll pour my Montale fragrances into proper glass bottles...

Dependent

Default Re: Montale Silver Bottle Problems: leaking because of corrosion/rust

I had to toss my bottle of Black Oud today, as the bottle had leaky corroded spots all around it and the fragrance inside smelled off.

So it seems that the black bottles are affected as well.

Considering that I have not worn it for a year and I rarely ever wore it, I don't really want to go through the hassle of contacting Montale and getting a replacement.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

^^^ Sorry to hear this. I was interested in one or two Montale fragrances, but I would not buy them due to the bottles they use. If they cannot use glass bottles, then they will never sell to me.

Gregory David Roberts

Resurrecting an old thread, but my bottle of Red Aoud has been leaking for weeks it seems. I poured over what was left into an empty bottle and will also be avoiding Montale in the future. Shame.

Just came here to say - aluminum does not rust. It can corrode though. It is most likely pitting or crevice corrosion due to defects on the surface of the aluminum.

Now having the same problem with the Crystal Aoud bottle... it has almost leaked completely.
    If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch

I almost purchased 1-2 of their fragrances this year, but I decided against it because I remembered this thread. Sorry to hear this. I suggest you contact them. Good luck.

Gregory David Roberts

I also lost completely my Chocolate Greedy due to corrosion. And now, my Sweet Oriental Dream has a small point of corrosion that popped up on the lower part of the can. Looks like the silver painted cans are more likely to have this issue.

That is outrageous! I guess the lesson is ether do not buy from this house, or decant the entire bottle once you have it.

Gregory David Roberts

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I almost purchased 1-2 of their fragrances this year
    Which were you thinking of?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I had been considering Full Incense, Chocolate Greedy, and Jasmine Full.

Gregory David Roberts

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I had been considering Full Incense, Chocolate Greedy, and Jasmine Full.
    I think you would have liked Full Incense and Jasmine Full. Oh well...
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    I also lost completely my Chocolate Greedy due to corrosion. And now, my Sweet Oriental Dream has a small point of corrosion that popped up on the lower part of the can. Looks like the silver painted cans are more likely to have this issue.
    Unfortunately my Crystal Aoud is (was) a red one so none of them are safe...
    If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch

I sold off my bottles of Blue Amber, after first reading this thread (neither were leaking at the time).

It was a really tough decision but I didn't want to later find myself in the same situation as some others here.