Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Montale Silver Bottle Problems: leaking because of corrosion/rust

Well, I agree that the thread title is (a bit) out of proportion but still.

I noticed that my bottle of Montale Amandes Orientales had a few marks a few months ago that weren't there when I bought the bottle about 4 years ago.

What concerned me today is that the bottle is starting to leak a little bit from the mark at the bottom of the bottle. Not even a drop but when I smelled the liquid... definitely the juice from inside.

It's seems like the aluminium bottle is showing traces of rust.

I have over 15 Montale bottles and -for the moment- it's the only one with those marks.

Oh, and before you ask, my collection is stored in a dressing room: no light, no humidity and no extreme temperature changes.

I handle them all with great care: when I go on a holiday I never take bottles with me, only decants...

So...? Any thoughts, suggestions?

IMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPG
    Last edited by TLS; 4th December 2016 at 09:29 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: The Self-Destruction Of My Collection - Montale Bottle Question...

Hmm - time to decant into a glass atomiser? Looks a bit dodgy.

Banned

Indeed. That could be corrosion, maybe?

Scary, I went and checked my bottles and they are ok for now.
    It sounds like a bottle manufacturing defect. Wise to decant, as Mrs dalloway was saying. You don't want to wake up one day with the bottle empty and the close fragrant.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

As previously mentioned, it's time to decant.

Hmm, this is probably a long shot, but try emailing montale & explaining your situation. Ask if they could possibly send you an empty amandes orientales bottle to decant it into.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Thank's for the replies!

I will send an e-mail to Montale and see what they have to say about it before I decant it into an atomizer.

Come to think if it I used to prefer those aluminium atomizers as no light gets through but there seems to be a different problem now...

PS I searched for the bill and it seems that I just have the bottle from october 2014... So only two years...

TLS

Personally, I would stop using the bottle. If the perfume leaked through the lining, and if the can is aluminum, there might be a reaction turning the aluminum into who knows what...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    Personally, I would stop using the bottle. If the perfume leaked through the lining, and if the can is aluminum, there might be a reaction turning the aluminum into who knows what...
    Good advice!

These bottles always seemed dodgy as a matter of function as opposed to short-term product differentiation on a store shelf.

What is happening on the inside is more important than what is happening on the outside. Rarely if ever in packaging is a product (food, beer, deodorant, etc) intended to touch the metal, as that would cause an array of chemical reactions over time. Rather, much like the outside of aluminum packaging, the metal is covered with a very thin layer of (typically clear) plastic chemical coating. That thin layer of plastic, much thinner than the typical layer of house paint, is all that stands between the contents and bad things happening. And if you would prefer not to store the contents for the long term in plastic, as opposed to glass, then you shouldn't put it in aluminum either because, at least initially, the product only touches plastic.

Needless to say, many consumer goods and even foodstuffs are packaged this way, but (a) it is rare that the packaging is meant for long term use (years in this case) after opening or introduction to air and (b) outside of its rare use in perfumery, I can't think of a substance that has so much alcohol in it. Beer might come in aluminum cans but whiskey does not. Alcohol corrodes aluminum.
    Last edited by schnozz; 2nd October 2016 at 09:45 PM.

Oh man, i didn't know aluminum was toxic, i always saw people using aluminum foil for bbq growing up & figured it was ok. :-/
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 2nd October 2016 at 03:20 PM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Oh man, i didn't know aluminum was toxic, i always saw people using aluminum foil for bbq growing up & figured it was ok. :-/
    It's toxic in large enough doses and there is evidence now that suggests the use of aluminum cookware may be a factor in developing alzheimers (I don't know if there is consensus however, I haven't read up on it.)

Bottom, you're not going to get enough aluminum from your perfume to cause any problem whatsoever. It may make the perfume go off however and probably will if it hasn't already!

Excellent points all. Personally, I would not purchase any fragrance that came in an aluminum. I prefer glass perfume bottles. The do not like plastic, either, but the only fragrances I purchase in plastic bottles are body sprays which I tend to use up more quickly than perfumes. In any case, this should be embarrassing for Montale, and they should offer you a new bottle in my opinion.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Hello TLS!
    Ive checked all my older bottles I haven't nothing like it!
    Send an email to Montale M
    Let us know how this turns out!

Thank's again for all the replies.

I did send an e-mail -yesterday evening- as suggested but I haven't received any reply yet. I'll give it some more time and I will report back.

TLS

Dependent

From the look of it, the aluminum bottle may have been chrome-plated to give it that shine. So some kind of interaction between the two metals ? I've seen chrome bubble like this on old cars and such, but yes : Not the sort of thing one would expect to see from aluminum all by itself, which tends just to get powdery rather than blistering like this.

I'd have to agree that it's the frag itself that's been the catalyst though, so some kind of flaw in the inner plastic coating may be what set this reaction in motion.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 4th October 2016 at 12:20 AM.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Well, they are not in a hurry to reply. Nothing heard from them yet... I will call them next week if they don't asnwer.

Once i had a problem with an atomizer and they replied in 2 days and sent me a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post

Once i had a problem with an atomizer and they replied in 2 days and sent me a new one!
    Same here. We will see.

Hello TLS!
    Any answer from Montale?

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Hello TLS!
    Any answer from Montale?
    Hi Etoile,
    No, and I did send the mail again this weekend. With pictures.
    No sign of them yet.
    That's not very encouraging, isn't it?
    I should call them but don't know if it's really worth it to start all the hassle.
    Just not eager to buy a new Montale bottle in the (near) future.
    Have a nice evening!
    TLS

I've finally got an e-mail from them stating that I must have kept the bottle too cold or too hot though I stated in my mail that I have about 18 Montale bottles and that they are all stored cool and dark in a walk in closet. The bottle with the problem is not even 2 years old... I mailed them back with the same arguments but I don't expect much from them. Bad customer care in my opinion especially from a flagship store. My enthusiasm for Montale is fading very rapidly.

Thanks for the update. Good piece of info there, about storing in too hot or cold conditions... Only, that will ruin the perfume quicker than the bottle, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    Thanks for the update. Good piece of info there, about storing in too hot or cold conditions... Only, that will ruin the perfume quicker than the bottle, I think...
    I have Montale bottles that are about 5 years old stored in the same place and there's nothing wrong with them. I think it's a poor reaction from Montale. They don't need to know the answer to the problem but I think they could do something more for me as a customer who has 18 Montale bottles and more fragrances than I will ever manage to use in my whole life...

Cool, when I hear a company like this not standing behind their product, I stay away from them. I won't be buying any Montale's now. Only one I would have considered anyway was Aoud Leather. If they step up, and take care of you, then I would buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad-a View Post
    Cool, when I hear a company like this not standing behind their product, I stay away from them. I won't be buying any Montale's now. Only one I would have considered anyway was Aoud Leather. If they step up, and take care of you, then I would buy from them.
    I haven't heard from them anymore. They are not interested in future purchases from me I suppose.

Hello all!

I just got an answer from the Montale shop:

I do not know ... it never happened.
    What do you expect from us ? the bottle has already 2 years ... Its old for a perfume !
    Best regards,

So I suppose we should all be very happy that our wardrobes hold for a year or so!

Always be smelling

I just sent them a message about your situation. Let us see what they do
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Hello all!

What do you expect from us ? the bottle has already 2 years ... Its old for a perfume !
    Best regards,

So I suppose we should all be very happy that our wardrobes hold for a year or so!

That's a joke. I won't buy Montale ever. This isn't an everyday occurance and they should stand behind their product. If they took care of you, I'm sure you'd buy more in the future. It's funny when businesses don't realize sales that they will miss out on over a very simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Hello all!

Best regards,

I do not own any bottles because i do not enjoy their perfumes but this is another reason for me to look away in the future.
    The answer is unacceptable and probably came from an idiot.
    I am really sorry for your problem.