Code of Conduct
    xxsjxx1

Default Pineapple Vintage Review Thread

I didn't see this posted yet, so I figured I would start it. Please only review the FINAL PRODUCT here.

I tested both versions over the past few days, so here are my thoughts.

Both versions are much improved over the samples. They are way more smooth upon first spray, no longer harsh for the first few minutes. Definitely blended well.

I find that they both have pretty good longevity, around 18 hours or so (skin scent after about 8-12)

Regular version::

Opens with tart pineapple, undertones of oakmoss and birch (I believe regular birch is minty, and I get a minty vibe)

stays somewhat linear, has a clean ambroxan style base with a little tartness from the fruit.

Noir Version::

Pineapple is slightly subdued and I get a tiny bit of blackcurrent rounding out the top, same undertones of oakmoss and birch for me.

Dries down very similar to the regular version with just a touch more nuance.

Overall they are good fragrances and will definitely appeal to many... I just have one issue with them. I don't feel like they are different enough from each other to warrant two versions. I wish the NOIR was a little more daring, maybe with strong patchouli coming through (like 15Y11 & 16D01) to give it a bit of an edge. I was hoping to give NOIR a sniff and get a slightly dirty edge from it, but both versions are fairly clean smelling.

Default Re: Pineapple Vintage Review Thread

Thanks for the details

Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    I didn't see this posted yet, so I figured I would start it. Please only review the FINAL PRODUCT here.

Could I kindly reiterate the above that this thread be exclusively for final reviews of Pineapple Vintage and entirely free of comments so that an overview can be formed.

For all discussions and comments please see the appropriate thread here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/429...35#post3966735
    Last edited by smellsliketeenspirit; 16th October 2016 at 07:35 PM.

I agree w/ xx***** 1..

I was hoping the Noir was gonna be a manly smoke/patch bomb. It's good, well blended, good longevity, ok too good projection. Was also hoping it was gonna be major beast mode. It projects but I guess that's where Im confused. I dont know if these are supposed to be a better Aventus, or be a close as possible clone? Does it smell darn close yes, does it perform close, yes.
    I tried Noir next too 15XO1 and Noir is a bit more earthy,Patchouli with a slightly more caramelized pineapple.. almost burnt smelling. Where XO1 is like a perfectly scotched coconut milk creamBrule... just lightly tan.. just enough, and just sexy!
    With that said Noir is still a winner, an amazing clone of a semi dark, semi smokey Aventus. But.. is it better, does it have that wierd heart beat of chain to pavement sparks that dance with you down the street?

Classic is pretty darn cool, I think the original cooling effect I was really experiencing was from the Vanilla and possibly a really clean musk. This one is clean, pretty fresh, with a great opening and finish. Its kinda tart like.. but the tart gets rounded off at the tip by that vanilla so its extremely inoffensive. Projection is really toned down compared to the Noir. In fact the Noir performs like a EDT while the Noir like Perfume.
    Probably a great white shirt scent, or a weekend GTL scent.
    My sample was gonzo super fast, I ended up really loading this thing up .. maybe 10 -15 sprays and it never got to the point it was cloying and projected pretty good for about 4 hours.

These both are a step up from the OG samples. Just wish they were stronger... I mean this is Aventus, not some purposely toned down, soft, skin, woosie scent. This is supposed to be liquid Alpha Male! When the doors open up women and men are supposed to stop what they are doing, look over and bite their lower lip in envy and admiration.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to add the longevity of both is easy 24hrs.

Also these little samples atomizer doesn't put out that much juice. They said 3 to 4 is equivalent to 1 normal and I agree. So when I said 10 to 15 sprays that's really like 3 to 4 real world spritzes.
    Im that guy that has trouble smelling what I'm wearing too. Even real Aventus I load it up even more like maybe 50% more than I did with these samples. And with aventus I can still only smell it for 4 hours max.

She also said olfactory fatigue will happen with these and I agree with that. I did get a compliment just from someone walking in my front door. I was like seriously? I can't smell it, oh ya you smell great"
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

I agree with 2 reviews above in that the 2 versions are very similar. I need more testing to get my description down.

So far,
    Longevity: 12hr+
    I didn't get to the samples past 12hr without a shower. Both leave a sweet ambegris skin scent after shower.

Projection: Very good.
    first 4hr: better than Aventus
    From 4-7:As ellusive as Aventus
    After 8hrs: same as xxsjxx1, skin scent
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Ok I put on a sweatshirt I hit with noir last night .. tonight to go walk my dog and bam! Straight up U11 dry down.
    Someone come grab the mic it's time to fist pump!
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Basenotes Member

As per the directions...

The mini atomizers will require spraying 2-3 times in the same spot to replicate one spray from a regular sized atomizer.

Aside from a few initial sprays, I wore each fragrance on a different day. I am in NJ and it is Fall, but each day I tested happened to be 70 - 80ºF depending on the time of day. I applied the fragrance to both forearms, chest, the back and sides of my neck. This is around 5 sprays if compared with a regular atomizer.

On to the reviews:

1. Clearly indicate the fragrance being reviewed:

Pineapple Vintage (White/ Green/ Gold)

2. The Notes/ Scents which I liked in the fragrance are:

Fruity notes. I get a very bright, but sharp and unripe pineapple note.

3. The fragrance lasted for 9 hours before I could no longer detect it all.

4. My review:

This is a wonderful mouthwatering fruity pineapple fragrance. I see this version appealing to woman more than men. The opening is very bright and almost smells like the candy, SweeTarts. The dry-down becomes a very well-blended creamy, musky, vanilla pineapple. Aside for a few tests sprays, I did end up going through the sample in one wearing. I put the fragrance on around 8:30am (3 pumps on the each side of the neck, back of the neck, 3 pumps to the chest & 3 pumps to each forearm) went to work and asked a coworker if they could smell it a foot away around 2:30 pm, but they could not. I could only smell it close to my skin at that point, but only up until about 5pm. It was about 80ºF on the day that I wore it in NJ which is a warm day for Fall. This version is extremely close to the new batches of Creed's Aventus (>=2015).

Pineapple Vintage NOIR (Black/ Gold)

Slightly smoky, musky woody notes. I get a subdued smoky, earthy pineapple note.

3. The fragrance lasted for 16 hours before I could no longer detect it all.

4. My review:

Olfactory fatigue is strong with the NOIR version, but it does project and it does last. It opens with a bit of an alcohol smell with a hint of hairspray, but I happen to enjoy it and it dissipates almost instantly. WOW! The blend of notes is beautiful in this fragrance. The pineapple is so rich and creamy, but dirty at the same time.. 2012 smoky batch of Creed's Aventus anyone?? I feel this version is more masculine than the classic, but maybe that's what was intended. I almost used the entire sample for the first wearing and it was definitely overkill, but the fragrance is so amazing that I didn't care nor did the people around me. I applied the fragrance the same way I applied the Classic version, the weather was the same and although I felt it became a skin scent midday, I was wrong. I left a lingering scent trail wherever I walked through my office building and my coworker followed it all the way to the outside parking lot to my car at the end of the day!! She loved it and when we hung out later that day at my house she put her nose in my chest, breathed in deeply and exhaled "Ahhhh, you smell amazing!". The dry-down is a cozy, woody, musky scent and will give vintage batches of Creed's Aventus a run for their money. I will be choosing Pineapple Vintage NOIR .

On a side note... I feel so lucky to be included in the trials and reviewing process. It's amazing how a dedicated community can come together to formulate such beautiful fragrances to address the shortcomings of all the reformulations and batch variations when their outcries and voiced concerns fall on deaf ears. It's sad that it has come to this, but if it had not we would have never have gotten to this point where people can take a DIY approach to fragrances. Amazing community, process, nose and an outstanding fragrance. Thank you, smellsliketeenspirit!!
    Last edited by andROIDs; 19th October 2016 at 07:59 PM.

Mine are on their way, can't wait to try it out!!!
    And you know me, I like dark side of the force way better

u
    Aventus Junkie by heart!

Blog Entries

My samples finally arrived today. I will wear them over the course of the next few days and give them proper wearings.

Basenotes Junkie

In the spirit of following the instructions I received, here is my review:

Pineapple Vintage- "Classic"

Pineapple, slightly citrusy bergamot, vanilla and sweet woodsy base (note sure what note this is but it is what I still smell on my skin after a shower).

3. The fragrance lasted for: 14 hours, including after a shower (skin scent by that time).

4. My review:

Per the instructions I used 3 sprays from the sample atomizer on each spot to replicate one spray out of a normal bottle. I used 1 spray on my neck and then 1 spray on each of my inner elbow area, a total of 3 spots. A fresh sweet blast of pineapple and bergamot are what I could detect in the opening. I applied it at 7:00 am and around 8:00 am I had a co-worker ask what I had on she was around 6 feet away. Around 11:00 am I had another co-worker tell me I smelled good from around the same distance. So projection on my skin seems to be very good for the first 4 hours at least. I picked up on the pineapple/bergamot combo most of the day with some vanilla underneath it and did not suffer from olfactory fatigue anywhere near the same as I do with Aventus.
    By the evening I had to do some car repairs on my daily driver (from approximately 6:00 pm- 10:00 pm) and I kept getting whiffs of a sweet vanilla woodsy base that reminded me a lot of the dry down on my 15X01. It was a skin scent by then but definitely detectable. I showered after that and when I got out of the shower I could still smell the sweet clean base on my arms. I'm my opinion and on my skin the Classic version is the better performer. I was a big fan of the yellow test labeled sample in the original test and Classic seems to be that but amped up a bit more in every area. The opening I enjoy more, the performance I could detect on my skin better and I enjoyed the base more than the Noir (though I am sure the Noir will have plenty of fans too...). I tested them both and for me there is no question which bottle I am choosing once they are shipped. Also I would like to say that I don't really look at this fragrance as an "Aventus clone" it shares some similarities with Aventus and may be inspired by Aventus but I think that it is a great fragrance on it's own. The only complaint I have is my Classic sample atomizer stopped working for some reason after about 12 sprays. I have a decant I can pour it into, and I have not tried to open it yet. But I'm not phased by it. The fragrance is great!

The bottom line: I can't wait for my retail bottle of Classic to arrive!!
    Last edited by Sabianman1; 20th October 2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

Pineapple Vintage - Classic

Notes: Pineapple, Vanilla, White/light musk, "Green" note possibly Patchouli, Citrus/Bergamont.

My Review:

Classic opens with a very familiar sharp/tart pineapple note. It definitely reminds me of modern day Aventus upon initial spray. The biggest difference to my nose is there is a "green" note throughout the life of this fragrance. I find this note to closest resemble the smell of the green note found in Mugler Colognes during its mid. My guess is there is some floral or maybe the Patchouli that on my skin comes off as "green". I also noticed a slight skin cooling effect. This lasted through most of the fragrance.

As the fragrance dried down the sharp/tart pineapple died down and the fragrance settles into a nice but not outstanding scent. The green note that I picked up on threw the fragrance off for me. I asked my wife if she could smell it as well and she said she could. She is very familiar with Aventus due to my collection and she agreed that the opening reminded her of Aventus but "Not as good." Keep in mind she was blind smelling this and I had not tipped her off at all. I was actually hoping to trick her into saying it was Aventus. She knows I also have clones too though and she guessed that I was wearing one of them. A couple of hours in and the pineapple starts to fade while the musk and vanilla become more prominent.

What I didn't pick up on is any birch and only slight what some would call "woods". This is much more of a pineapple and musk/vanilla fragrance than it is a pineapple and birch fragrance.

Overall performance is good/great. It lasted at least 8-10 hours on my skin. Long enough to last between showers which is more than I can ask of a fragrance. Projection is good with comments from people across the room from me (6 or so feet) in the first couple of hours. After that it does settle into a closer to the body scent but it does have good sillage.

I pulled no punches with this fragrance (nor will I with the Nior version) and I compared it directly to 15U11 (as I felt this was the closest representation since Classic lacks the wood of a 15Y11 batch or any of the more wood batches). I again went to my wife and asked her to smell without telling her anything. She was immediately able to tell me which one was her favorite (15U11) and when I asked her to explain what it was about the two that made it stand out she said, "I like the citrus better in this one (15U11) and it smells better blended." My personal feelings are very similar. Maybe the fragrance or at least my sample is still slightly rushed and needs to sit and mature a bit longer.

While I liked the fragrance and the backstory when you take into account the premium price of the cologne I have to ask myself why would I purchase this instead of a bottle of Aventus and I cannot honestly say there is a reason to.

**Note: After my review Smellsliketeenspirit contacted me over pm about it. He had no issue with any of my personal opinions since he made it clear he wanted unbiased reviews. He did however question the comments I made about the value of Pineapple Vintage Classic in comparison to Aventus and asked if I thought it fair to include a note on this in my review. I agreed I would and that I'd clarify. To expand on this more I would like to add that my comments on value were based on what price I can get Aventus for. Clearly if someone is comparing retail Pineapple Vintage to retail Aventus then the price difference is so immense that the value of Pineapple Vintage is clear and evident. Each person will have to determine for himself if the difference in price between the two (whatever price you can get either one for) is big enough to cause the value of Pineapple Vintage to be enough to purchase it.**

Scores:

I think the bottle, the presentation, everything about how it was created, the basenotes participation, everything. . . .is awesome. The bottle is probably one of the coolest looking ones I've ever seen.

Presentation is: 10/10

Unfortunately, I find the downfall of this fragrance to be the smell. I have no doubts from a distance and on the street that it will make people who are not familiar with Aventus assume it is Aventus. It does evoke a very similar vibe to Aventus. The problem arises when you are extremely familiar with Aventus. You can simply smell the difference. My wife blindly chose Aventus as the better fragrance on two separate occasions 24 hours between tests. As a clone, Aventus smells better. If we are instead to assume this is supposed to be an "improved" Aventus - it's not that either.

Scent: 7/10

Bottom line is: If you are a huge fan of the current Aventus - current Aventus is better and is where I feel I would spend my money. It does not dethrone Aventus. However, if you find the backstory and presentation to be interesting and worthy of support then Pineapple Vintage Classic is a fine fragrance and a cool thing to be a part of.

Damn mythrol, how am i suppose to follow that review. lol!

Anyway here goes nothing..

Ok for pineapple vintage classic mythrol made some good points, the opening is a bright, tart pineapple & i get some citrus/bergamot mixed in.

After it dries down a little the vanilla & musk comes out & the bergamot dies down leaving a smooth creamy pineapple/vanilla.

Then late in the drydown i get a soft ambergris reminiscent of aventus.

Imo it smells like aventus & mont blanc legend had a baby, longevity is good (6-8hrs).

Now on to Pineapple vintage noire

The noire version i find much closer to aventus, it opens with a more dirty pineapple, citrus with birch/smoke.

After it dries down the birch/smoke remains prominent & the pineapple though still noticeable is more mellow.

Longevity is also good (8hrs)

My conclusion, both are good but if i had to recommend one to aventus fans it would be the noir version. To the general public i think both will do well, for the fragrance enthusiasts i think the noir will fair better.

Thanks again Smellsliketeenspirit for the opportunity to be part of this whole process!

Update: Holy cow this stuff projects! I just went through a drive-thru convenience store & soon as the guy opened the window he said "You're smelling good today! (thumbs up). I was like damn you can smell that?! That's 2 sprays of the noir on my wrist about 2hrs ago from a sample atomizer.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 22nd October 2016 at 02:12 AM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

OK you guys just came in yesterday and this morning I went to work at 4 o'clock and had a bloody me test it out so far it's been two hours but the girls love nor better then the pineapple burst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aventus Junkie by heart!

And a lot of people say it's totally different smell but it's really really good but not as good as the OG. I put nor on it and I'll put the pineapple blast on my other buddy and I think I put too much of the north because it's so strong it makes me kind of gag. I say I'll put about 8 to 10 Springs. He only put about 45 and I told him put moron so we can get some results. Sorry about my writing skills I'm using dictation since I'm driving and picking up donuts at the moment.

Give me a couple days and I'll give it a full review of both but I hate to say it this stuff is really strong might be stronger then Aventis

Aventus Junkie by heart!

[

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinyoda View Post
    And a lot of people say it's totally different smell but it's really really good but not as good as the OG. I put nor on it and I'll put the pineapple blast on my other buddy and I think I put too much of the north because it's so strong it makes me kind of gag. I say I'll put about 8 to 10 Springs. He only put about 45 and I told him put moron so we can get some results. Sorry about my writing skills I'm using dictation since I'm driving and picking up donuts at the moment.

Give me a couple days and I'll give it a full review of both but I hate to say it this stuff is really strong might be stronger then Aventis

Does anyone have a tappytalk English translator handy??? What kind of donuts did you get?

Blog Entries

Pineapple Vintage - Noir

Notes: "Dark" Patchouli, Pineapple, Musk, Vanilla, Citrus/Bergamot

My Review:

I took longer before writing this review because I was very conflicted about what to say. After two full wearings and then comparisons against not only Aventus but also other clones I had to sleep on it. The first thing we need to do is set expectations of what Noir actually is. One of my biggest issues I had when I wore Noir at first was I was expecting this to resemble vintage Aventus. The general feeling I had going into this was Classic was supposed to be the take on "modern" Aventus while Noir was supposed to be the throwback take on "vintage" Aventus. Let me get clear:

Pineapple Vintage Noir does not smell like vintage Aventus. If you go into this expecting it to, you will be extremely disappointed.

Part of that issue was my own fault for setting my expectations at that level. The other part of the issue has to do with the naming, notes such as Birch and birch tar being mentioned to have been included, the general hype that had built up around these fragrances, and the thought that these were fragrances built by us - for us. The results were I spent most of my first wearing furious at what Noir was not. It wasn't until my second wearing and my head-to-head testing that I could appreciate what Noir was.

On initial spray Noir does have an alcohol smell. I don't think this is due to the actual alcohol but instead the strong citrus and Patchouli opening tricking my nose. As soon as this fades in the first minute you're hit with "dark" Patchouli and a subdued pineapple. I am assuming the birch/birch tar are what add this "dark" element but it's very hard to say with confidence. There is not a drastic difference between this and Classic, however, the "green" note that I picked up on and the slight skin cooling effect found in Classic are gone here or at least greatly reduced. As it dries down you can start to pick up more of the musk/vanilla combo but the "dark" Patchouli note dominates basically the entire life of the fragrance. Everything else, even the pineapple takes a back seat to it.

Performance is very interesting. I'm usually not bad with going nose blind to fragrances but within an hour this one was gone. It was still there if I smelled my skin and I would catch whiffs of it throughout the day, but it was hard for me to perceive in general. Projection seemed good especially the first couple hours because my wife confirmed she could smell it from a distance. Sillage seemed great as even though I couldn't perceive it in general, as I moved around I noticed it occasionally. Longevity was outstanding as it went on all day. It does settle into a closer to the body scent just like Classic but don't take that to mean it is gone. It's still there.

I compared Noir to 15Y11 as well as a couple of clones. The first 30 minutes to 1 hour were pretty similar. Both have what I describe as that "dark" Patchouli and subdued pineapple vibe. 15Y11 does have the better pineapple note and opening in general, but, Noir does a solid job nonetheless. The base and drydown are where I spotted the biggest differences. As 15Y11 dries down you can detect woods in it that combine with that Creed base to really smell outstanding. Noir never moves on from the "dark" Patchouli + musk/vanilla vibe. To be fair, the base and drydown of Noir are closer to actual Aventus than the clones I've tested - I do not claim to have tried every clone however.

My biggest concern with Noir is the same I had with Classic. Once you start hitting premium price points for clones it just gets difficult to recommend. This issue would have been greatly alleviated in the case of Noir had it been an attempt to recreate Vintage Aventus. The problem is Noir doesn't do this. Instead it attempts to clone a specific batch or type of batch of modern Aventus. The hardest question I have had to ask myself throughout this process is this, "Do we really need another clone of Aventus especially if at a premium price point?" Each person will have to decide this answer on their own. My personal stance is: Buy a cheap clone or buy the real thing and it pains me to type that.

Scores:

Just as with Classic I think the bottle, the presentation, everything about how it was created, the basenotes participation, everything. . . .is awesome. The bottle is probably one of the coolest looking ones I've ever seen.

Presentation is: 10/10

While it doesn't match perfectly, Noir matches the darker Modern Aventus batches pretty well. The initial spray being slightly off putting and just how drastic the nose blind effect with it is knocks the score down slightly but overall it is a solid, if not perfect, clone. My wife also liked this one better than Classic and thought the scent was good. While she could smell a difference between this and real Aventus she did not feel that it was as noticeable as with Classic.

Scent: 8/10

Bottom line is: If you are looking for the Vintage Aventus smell here - stop. You will be met with disappointment. If you go in wanting a modern Aventus clone of one of the darker batches, then Noir is a good fragrance for that. You will have to determine for yourself if the price makes it worthy of purchase, however, if you find the backstory and presentation to be interesting then Pineapple Vintage Noir is a good fragrance and a cool thing to be a part of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With my reviews written and over I just want thank Smellsliketeenspirit. He took on a great risk and a large expense to test and produce these fragrances. I have great respect for what was done and the challenge it must have been to attempt to tackle Aventus. My reviews were taken from a completely objective stance as I felt that was the correct thing to do.

My personal biased stance is I hope Pineapple Vintage is a success because I am VERY interested in what an original fragrance by Smellsliketeenspirit would smell like. Please keep the same bottle style too. I want one of those bottles in my collection!

pineapple vintage noir review.

most dominant notes - pineapple, vanilla

longevity is on par with recent aventus batches, around 7-8 hours with stronger projection in the first half. my thoughts on the first set of samples can be found in the earlier thread. in short i liked elements of the zesty pineapple note but felt it was too sharp and lacked depth.

the production version has been improved. in particular the noir variety has more of a richness and also a smoother quality than the earlier samples. on the open it's similar to the classic but a bit darker. its still juicy but not as bright, which i like. the pineapple note here truly smells like pineapple, unlike various aventus clones. but it does come off different, with a certain zestyness, which is toned down through the drydown. the amped up vanilla helps in smoothing out and sweetening the raw pineapple note.

vintage noir maintains a strong sillage for the opening few hours so people will get a whiff. it travels well in the air. the top notes smell classy and i get a fahrenheit kinda vibe, but more unripe fruity. the drydown is where its most pleasant, you get this creamy smoked pineapple effect, from the vanilla and the darker notes coming through. there is a definite gourmandness to it, like a lightly smoked pineapple dessert.

so vintage noir goes in a different direction to aventus, which is ultimately to it's credit. i can't say i prefer it to the original but it's a nice smelling scent. worth investigating for those who like the pineapple aspect of aventus, you might find there the way it's presented here as on par or even prefer it. suitability it seems more of a dressing up scent than casual, staying true to the noir theme. it's quite a rich scent.
    Last edited by wilfred; 23rd October 2016 at 08:06 AM.
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Dependent

Here is my take.

Pineapple vintage :

It opens with what my nose identifies as pineapple. Which is funny because I never really got that from aventus. Its a juicy fruitiness that has almost a slight bitterness underneath. It smells like many of the fruity batches of aventus but does not have as much vanilla as the original to my nose. Still if you like fruity batches of aventus I cant see anyone disliking it even if they don't find it to be identical to aventus. Longevity is above average for this type of scent and I am getting 8-10 though its not a projection or sillage monster. That's fine to me. I don't like my stuff to scream.

Pineapple vintage NOIR:

This one opens with that pineapple note but its not as apparent as the regular version. I am not a good enough judge of scent to know if the pineapple was muted or if other elements were increased and thus overshadow the pineapple a bit. This version is the one that is for me. Its rich like aventus, and almost dirty. Its closer to what got me to love aventus in the first place. Like the normal version I am getting the same longevity. Projection and sillage is greater in this version. In fact I was originally getting what I thought to be pretty poor performance but I discovered I was using more than I needed and I was getting fatigues. I changed my application and reduced my sprays in half down to 3 from the travel spray and performance was exactly what I would be hoping for.

overall impressions as a whole:

Now my first impressions of both of the final versions I wasn't sure if they actually smelled like Aventus. But I had to remind myself that my perception of the batches is based on my memory of it. And so I went back today and smelled my actual decant of aventus which I had not worn in a few months. And much to my amazement the decant smelled little like I had remembered. I have been experiencing this often lately. I have found at least 5 fragrances in my collection that I cant even wear any more because certain elements are more easily recognized by me and my tastes have changed and no longer can handle certain notes and in certain combinations. So when compared to my actual aventus decant they are not identical but I actually prefer the noir version to my actual decant of aventus.

All in all my issue with most aventus clones was not about the actual notes. Many clones can come close to the smell of aventus but nearly all of them smell like cheap designer imposters. Nothing about the pineapple vintage fragrances to me is low quality. They smell rich and I get none of the off putting odd characteristics of the cheaper clones. So I would say a persons ability to really get behind these is going to be why they are looking in the first place. IMHO if you like aventus but find the constand batch variations and price fluctuations to be juice not worth the squeeze and don't mind a scent that while not a carbon copy still exudes quality then I have not found a better alternative. If however you demand an identical smell to your favorite batch and wont compromise no matter how good it is and how well it is done then you may want to sample. But me being a person absolutely fed up with all things aventus and just want something that does what it does, doesn't have off notes and has a consistency I am very grateful this has been produced. And even though I absolutely couldn't care less about compliments for those who do find that element appealing I got more compliments in the last week on this scent than I had in the previous 2 years wearing aventus.

Banned

I thought I'd better post a review as we're almost at the end of the month and I'm liable with my sieve like memory to miss the deadline ( as I did with the original samples review)
    Basically what I have to report echoes Timoran's post above, I went and tested whichever Aventus batch was in the local Selfridges and was surprised to find that it wasn't how I remembered it from 4 years ago, and was much more similar to SLTS's samples than I had thought.( Basically the smokiness seemed to have gone, which was what I remember as it's most endearing feature)
    Back to the samples themselves :The Classic opens with what seems like a nuclear pineapple, more so than in any aventus or clone I have come across ( and like Timoran I found it to be an actual pineapple smell, not the apple/pineapple/maybe something else opening I was expecting and in truth it is a little overpowering for my tastes for the first ten or fifteen minutes. after that though it settles down nicely as some florals come through ( noticeably lavender, which I thought I recognized in all the various samples) along with some vaguely "pencil shavings" notes .
    The problem I have reviewing any scent these days is that I really stop noticing what i'm wearing within a half hour of applying it, which seems to be a matter of attention and tuning things out rather than actual anosmia, so I tend to remember hours later when I catch a waft of something and just have a basic idea of whether a scent has a good drydown or not or has developed much. In this case the answer is yes, I enjoy the later stages of classic and have been complimented twice when I've been up close to people (about 6 to 8 hours after application) I personally would have difficulty distinguishing the drydown of Classic with that of the recent Aventus I tried at this point ( which is not to say that an Aventus aficionado would do)
    The Noir I found to be more likeable in the opening, the pineapple is more restrained and the other notes seem to give it more smoothness. as with the classic i tried SLTS's recommended 3 sprays to one spot but in the end it was more to my taste to spray one from distance to the chest adn another to my shirt also from distance to diffuse it a little, I cant imagine what the people who reported using all of a 4 ml sample in one go smelled like , this strikes me as evidence of borderline psychosis, or at least significant damage in the olfactory department to me these scents are pretty potent.
    somebody actually asked me if i was wearing patchouli oil about 15 mins after spraying Noir, which surprised me as i hadn't thought of it as being a patchouli based scent at all but it did make me wonder if the scent was a little sweeter than i had taken it to be ( in fact I hadn't detected anything I would really describe as sweet in any of the samples apart from a touch of vanilla or patchouli here and there, but that remark seemed to tune me in to some different aspects of the scent, which again makes me wonder how differently others would find the scent compared to me - I often completely change my opinion of a scent when a new note identifies itself to me and the associations i have with the particular note come into play.)
    Anyway, I think the Noir is a touch more interesting and a little more to my taste, though I agree with some earlier replies that there isn't a massive difference between the two. rather just a tweaking in emphasis.
    I can't add anything to any discussion about these scents versus Aventus nor how they compare to any Aventus clones as I've never really been interested, but the price seems fair and at the least wearing these one would actually be part of some exclusive project where the final product has actually been crafted by the perfumiers own fair hands . Are you listening Olivier Creed ?
    Last edited by martinijo; 29th October 2016 at 04:10 PM.

1. Pineapple Vintage (White/ Green/ Gold)

Pineapple, vanilla, musk notes.

3. The fragrance lasted for 8+ hours before I could no longer detect it all.

4. My review:

This is a very bright and crisp fragrance with a dominant pineapple accord on the top. There is a bit of a tart or citric quality that gives this fragrance a very fresh and invigorating feeling to it. PV is a very well blended fragrance and there is no cheap, synthetic, or overly chemical feel to the fragrance. The vanilla accord in PV gives it a very light touch of sweetness. It is not a sugary sweetness. PV remains very light, crisp, and fresh and does not become overly fruity. The fragrance development is linear so it retains the pineapple throughout its life. Although the pineapple tempers down as the musks become more dominant. I do not get any smokey, ashy, birchy, or campfire accords with PV. The woody base is light and I do not get any roasty effect from the interplay of the pineapple accord with the base. As PV progresses to the late stages, the pineapple accord is tempered down and you are left with a light, sweet, musky, slightly woody (very slightly) base with a hint of pineapple in the deep background. I used 10 sprays* from the sample spray. Performance was excellent with 8+ hours. Projection was moderate where people could easily smell it at the 4 and 8 hour mark when they came into my personal space.

1. Pineapple Vintage NOIR (Black/ Gold)

Pineapple, vanilla, musk, woody notes.

3. The fragrance lasted for 10+ hours before I could no longer detect it all.

4. My review:

This is also a bright and crisp fragrance with a dominant pineapple accord on the top. PV Noir is much less tart or citric in quality compared to PV. The pineapple accord in PV Noir seems a bit deeper and more rounded than with PV. That gives this fragrance a slightly heavier and richer tone than the overly fresh and invigorating feeling that you get from PV. It is not overly fruity but PV Noir lacks the tart and citric quality that you get from PV. This is very well blended fragrance and there is no cheap, synthetic, or overly chemical feel to PV Noir. In PV Noir the vanilla/sweet accord is subdued, so there is less sweetness than in PV. This fragrance iis also linear in its development so it does retain the pineapple accord throughout its life. As with PV the pineapple accord in PV Noir subsides as the musks, woody, and birch leaf notes become more dominant. I do not get any smokey, ashy, birch tar, or campfire accords with the fragrance. However PV Noir does have a more prominent woody base that takes on a roasty quality to it. There seems to be a light touch of birch leaf that is blended in with the woody notes that produces a subtle roasty quality to PV Noir. It is not a heavy birch tar, smokey, or campfire accord that dominates or overwhelms the fragrance. There is simply a light hint of these deeper accords that blends very well with the rest of the fragrance. This produces a slightly more woody and roasty base that gives PV Noir a heavier more rounded feeling than PV. As PV Noir progresses to the late stages, the pineapple accord is tempered down and you are left with a more woody, roasty, musky, slightly sweet (very slightly) base with a hint of pineapple in the deep background. I used 10 sprays* from the sample spray. Performance was excellent with 10+ hours. Projection was moderate (but slightly more than PV) where people could easily smell it at the 4 and 8 hour mark when they came into my personal space.

I would like to thank SLTS for allowing me to participate in this effort and I feel he has done an excellent job in developing his new fragrance. It is clear that he is extremely talented and put a great deal of time, effort, and hard work in producing his new fragrance. Very well done. Congratulations and I wish you all the success and good fortune in your new endeavor.

* The 10 sprays was about 0.333ml to 0.400ml of actual fragrance. The sprayers were spitting a little bit so they required extra squirts to get my usual amount of liquid. So I was not loading up on an excessive amount.

Firstly, apologies for my delayed review, I was involved in a road accident last week and it put me back abit but all is getting back on track now, I appreciate the fact you got these samples out for me and I am super grateful in being able to participate in the development of a brand new fragrance.

My Review, my preferred choice being NOIR

I agree with both scents being somewhat ‘’smoother’’ than the initial samples that were sent out a few months ago and I have to say I really do enjoy the scent from both of these produced versions although the Noir in my opinion just has that slight more complexity to it.

I can definitely pick up a more ‘’creamier’’ vanilla vibe from Noir, which gives it a more sensual sexiness vibe and I can see it being more popular with females.

I get that mouth-watering pineapple that is mentioned above, many times I have picked up the decant just to smell the cap as I really do love the pineapple that it is expressing

Longevity - The scent does last well over 12 hours on me, which is great, I don’t own many fragrances that last over the 6/8 hour mark, only those which are highly regarded as ‘’beast mode’’ scents.

I can smell it on myself for a good 4 to 6 hours but then after that it’s more of a skin scent, but it’s definitely still there.

Sillage – I can definitely smell it on myself for the 4-6 hours without having to really put my nose to it but I haven’t had any compliments as such, again though maybe it is the people I am regularly around but I don’t tend to get many compliments regarding fragrances, more so when I was out clubbing but that has been a while!
    As I am walking about I will gets whiffs of the pineapple which to me feels like it leaves a trail.

I understand many who like aventus like the birch and smokiness, which I do also, but I believe the pineapple on pineapple vintage is superior.
    Would I go as far as saying its an aventus killer? No…..would I say it is a great scent in its own right? TOTALLY!
    Im very much looking forward to getting the actual finished product which I have to say does look amazing, and seeing just how well it performs on me after more time.

Overall – I honestly do enjoy both the original and the noir from the samples I have been sent.
    As far as pineapple goes….and seeing as its name actually is ‘’Pineapple Vintage’’ to my nose this is the best juicy pineapple scent I have come across.
    Currently wearing: Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

I am one of the people who will have to apologize for a later review due to personal obligations. Thank you again for getting the samples out to me.

That said, I definitely prefer NOIR versus the "original". Not that the original is bad... I think the Noir has a bit more complexity and layers compared to the original, however.

Both do seem to give off that pineapple vibe quite heavily even when I opened it and hadn't sprayed it yet. (Which I liked, being a fan and owner of Aventus)

The smoothness of Noir is really nice, rounding out that pineapple smell with a creamy vanilla/wood smell. This test definitely confirmed my fondness of the birch element in cologne as well.

Longevity was great, considering the fact that I woke up the next day still being able to smell it. I don't know if this is the case for everyone since skin type differs from person to person... but A+ marks for that for me at least.

Overall, definitely not an "Aventus killer" but can stand alone in it's own right as a similar fragrance that could appeal more or less to people compared to Aventus, depending on their personal taste.

Default Pineapple Vintage Review Thread

I'm always late to the party

If you're looking for Aventis clone look elsewhere.

If you're looking for a unique pineapple, you're at the right place.

Now for all the booty lovers I was just the bright pineapple in for the mysterious Darkside of the force people would suggest Noir.

And the presentation is A + very professionally done.
    They both last a long time but I think Noir last longer.

If you are a pineapple scent lover, I would definitely recommend getting both to add to your collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Wacktalk
    Last edited by Merlinyoda; 6th November 2016 at 07:09 PM.
    Aventus Junkie by heart!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinyoda View Post
    I'm always late to the party

If you're looking for Aventis clone look elsewhere.

If you're looking for a unique pineapple, you're at the right place.

Now for all the booty lovers I was just the bright pineapple in for the mysterious Darkside of the force people would suggest Noir.

And the presentation is A + very professionally done.
    They both last a long time but I think Noir last longer.

If you are a pineapple scent lover, I would definitely recommend getting both to add to your collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Wacktalk
    Were you drunk when you wrote this? Smellsliketeenspirit didn't request anything except for a properly formatted review. I think he/she deserves that much.

Quote Originally Posted by andROIDs View Post
    Were you drunk when you wrote this? Smellsliketeenspirit didn't request anything except for a properly formatted review. I think he/she deserves that much.
    Yes Andy, I was intoxicated with Pineapple Noir
    Aventus Junkie by heart!

Dependent

Now that I have had the actual bottle of noir for a few days I must say this has completely replaced aventus for me. And anyone who knows my past with this scent knows that I have never really got on well with any aventus like scents from other companies. I even think the packaging crushes the original. For me this stuff is a 2 spray all day fragrance. And even though I don't care much about compliments I do think its interesting that I got more compliments with this scent in a single afternoon that all my times wearing aventus. I don't know if the stars were just aligned that day and people felt like being vocal. But its funny when the lady at the department store asks why you are even looking at their fragrances when the one you are wearing is so good. The best thing is as long as I keep it under 4 sprays I don't get fatigued. Big thanks to smellsliketeenspirit. Now I don't have to deal with inconsistencies and excuses and bi annual price increases. Even if this stuff was identical in price to aventus id still be buying this. I just hope more scents are on the horizon. Consider me in line.

Pineapple Vintage is on Promotion for a limited time.
    www.parfumsvintage.com