Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Your best blind buy ever

What is your best blind buy ever ?

Default Re: Your best blind buy ever

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    What is your best blind buy ever ?
    Pascal Morabito Or Black

Sisley Eau de Campagne, Fahrenheit Absolute, Tom Ford Italian Cypress, Penhaligon's Sartorial

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For its rarity - probably Scent of Oger by Creed
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hmmm. Good question. I've made some good blind buys but my best ever were vintages:

-Gengis Khan (vintage mini - which I want a big vintage bottle of)
    -Pacoma Gatsby
    -Revillon Pour Homme

I don't blind buy much but those I would put at the top of my list for blind buys. Granted they were recommended to me by a couple of ole boys that know their stuff, but still...
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I find the best blind buys are made up of three factors:

1) They're expensive. So there's risk and some nervousness behind it. There's no risk behind a $25 blind buy. You just might get stuck with something you don't want.

2) They're scents that may be challenging or hard to predict. I bought Xerjoff Nio blind and it's expensive, and turned out to be one of my favorite scents but there wasn't much risk behind it. It's a clean citrus scent. Everyone loves it. I knew it had to be at the least decent and wearable. How risky is that?

3) And then you have to be thrilled with them. Surprised and enamored. Not just, "oh yeah...this is pretty nice."

My top 5 blind buys:

1) James Heeley Sel Marin
    2) Eau Sauvage Parfum
    3) Ex-Nihilo Fleur Narcotique
    4) PdM Layton
    5) Jovoy Private Label

Runners up: Zoologist Bat, Slumberhouse Norne, La Parfumerie Moderne No Sport
    Spring Wardrobe: H24, Green Irish Tweed, Viking, Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Prada L'Homme, Dior Homme, Acqua di Gio Profumo, Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cool, New York Intense, The Orchid Man, Fahrenheit, 1962, Carven L'Eau Intense, Beau du Jour, Pear + Olive
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Where do I start?! One of the first that springs to mind would have to be Creed Green Irish Tweed.. I never smelled it before I bought it. Erolfa is another. As was Acier Aluminium. I'm sure there are many others but I'd need to look through my wardrobe. I've probably I forget many of them.

Most recently I would have to say Bond No. 9 Montauk was a fantastic blind buy thanks to the recommendation from Sweetstench408. I was going to say Songe d'un Bois d'Été but I remembered I actually had a small sample of it beforehand. However I did blind buy Tonka Imperiale and whilst not quite "Songe" it is indeed another fine fragrance.

I recently bought SJP - Stash another blind buy (thanks to JON RODGERS) and I was very impressed with it.. Ferrari's Essence Oud yet another very notable mention. Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Eau de Parfum and Habit Rouge Dress Code are are up there also. In fact, I don't think I had experienced any of the Habit Rouge line before buying full bottles of it.

To answer the thread title though.. I'd probably say Green Irish Tweed

i don't blind buy anymore, but i bought most of my fragrances blindly when i started with this hobby.

Timbuktu

still my favorite fragrance

It was my first blind buy. Valentino Uomo. Without a doubt.

Every other blind buy of mine was an utter disaster. Every single one. I mean over 5k worth of them.

Sent from HTC 10
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Valentino

Basenotes Plus

I love cheapies and that's about the only thing I blind buy, so my 3-way tie for best blind buy skews that way:

Bogart pH
    Tommy Bahama St Barts
    Ferrari Uomo

Quote Originally Posted by th3 View Post

Every other blind buy of mine was an utter disaster. Every single one. I mean over 5k worth of them.

Sent from HTC 10
    Really? That's terrible. Was there a certain mistake you were making in your selection process? Did you not read reviews or were you buying into reviews that turned out to be different in reality? What were some of your worst blind buys?
    Spring Wardrobe: H24, Green Irish Tweed, Viking, Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Prada L'Homme, Dior Homme, Acqua di Gio Profumo, Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cool, New York Intense, The Orchid Man, Fahrenheit, 1962, Carven L'Eau Intense, Beau du Jour, Pear + Olive

Eau Sauvage Extreme Concentree
    Kouros
    Antaeus
    Versace l'homme
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Creed - Virgin Island Water. I love it!
    Currently wearing: Individuel by Montblanc

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

For me -

Chergui, Tubereuse Criminelle, M7 (vintage), Rive Gauche pour Homme (tin can), Givenchy Insense (vtg.), New York Intense.

Basenotes Junkie

Sent from HTC 10
    What?!?! You're kidding, right? Five grand?
    I'm with Buysblind, that's terrible!
    Last edited by raygsoko; 4th December 2016 at 06:00 PM.
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Aubres by Xerjoff

Great question. Maybe Vintage Tabarome? If a 5ml decant purchase counts...!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For its rarity - probably Scent of Oger by Creed
    Out of interest, Hednic, if you don't mind answering/me asking of course....did you ever open this? I remember being enthralled by the story of your purchase of it. I'm genuinely not sure myself whether I would have opened such a purchase or not.
    Last edited by Davem81; 4th December 2016 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raygsoko View Post
    What?!?! You're kidding, right? Five grand?
    I'm with Blindbuy, that's terrible!
    Unfortunately, I'd say for many members and fragrance collectors in general.. 5k in unsuccessful blind buys is a mere drop in the ocean. When you look at some of the collections/wardrobes, even on here.. then consider the amount of blind buyers.. If you totaled up all their unsuccessful blind buys.. even ones they aren't fussed on or feel they could have done without.. the figures would undoubtedly be shocking.. I know I don't even want to begin counting mine.. It would only make me feel bad.. and I'm only a tiny player in the game.

So far, PDM Oajan

Mancera Wind Wood was a nice one. I rarely buy blind, but I gambled and was quit pleased.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Probably Baie de Genièvre, because it was the first eBay auction I ever participated in and I won, for a killer price nonetheless.

Some of my favorites have been blind buys...many of them, actually. Another one of note was Badr Al Badour Attar (Amouage). I paid a lot of money for a very small amount of it, so had I not liked it, I would have been pretty irked. Turns out it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled.

I also lucked out with Infusion - Bombay Sapphire . Great hidden gem, increasingly rare these days.

Chergui and Givenchy Gentleman. Everything else I sampled first.

Nasomatto Baraonda so far...!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fairly equal ranking between Bogart pour Homme, Azzaro pour Homme 2013 Summer Edition, Sartorial and Arden Man Sandalwood (non ever tested before, all quite enjoyable on the nose)
    Currently wearing: Derrick by Orlane

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Really? That's terrible. Was there a certain mistake you were making in your selection process? Did you not read reviews or were you buying into reviews that turned out to be different in reality?
    The last line, yup

Blind buys, eh. Description/tastes/smell sense differing extremely between people. Following recommendations proved not viable.

My approach to picking went with reviews, reputation, popularity, price, dark horse, the lot.

I generally realized that never try to force-like something you don't. They just remain regrets that you never really enjoy or like.

And quite frankly, it's the niche stuff I disliked the most. Too many to name. I literally mean they stank to me. Some more bearable than others but only to sniff, like a dish. Never to wear and smell like for hours.

I went thru one after another to dispel my inner fear of bias. Every major brand out there.

The ones I liked, ended up me liking just one phase of the scent and not enough to wear happily, comfortably.

Sent from HTC 10
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Nasomatto Baraonda so far...!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you're enjoying that!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Glad to hear you're enjoying that!
    a very good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still looking for Big Bottle of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

The last line, yup

Blind buys, eh. Description/tastes/smell sense differing extremely between people. Following recommendations proved not viable.

My approach to picking went with reviews, reputation, popularity, price, dark horse, the lot.

I generally realized that never try to force-like something you don't. They just remain regrets that you never really enjoy or like.

And quite frankly, it's the niche stuff I disliked the most. Too many to name. I literally mean they stank to me. Some more bearable than others but only to sniff, like a dish. Never to wear and smell like for hours.

I went thru one after another to dispel my inner fear of bias. Every major brand out there.

The ones I liked, ended up me liking just one phase of the scent and not enough to wear happily, comfortably.

Sent from HTC 10
    Hey, I understand this. That used to happen to me a lot early on, I'd follow certain reviewers and make buys off of what they thought were great. It took me a while in a few cases to realize that their taste and mine couldn't be more opposite. And most of this happened with the more expensive niche stuff as well. Now I kind of know what I like and I only pay attention to the reviews of those whose taste matches mine (when it comes to purchases) so I avoid bad blind buys most of the time. But I know exactly what you're talking about--a lot of highly regarded niche caters to a very particular taste, and if it doesn't match yours, the result is most certainly negative.

Live and learn, right?

I had a friend in the Middle East that went into a respected perfume store and purchassed a half tola of quality oud oil from Ajmal. My best blind buy ever as it taught me the joy of real oud.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Iquitos ... read a ton of reviews, was as good as expected.